Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noble Meet-Up (PRIVATE | NOBLES)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Noble Meet-Up (PRIVATE | NOBLES) Empty Noble Meet-Up (PRIVATE | NOBLES)

Post by Meili Yan Baozhai Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:29 pm

Meili Yan Baozhai smiled as she walked around the party. It was a monthly event that the Nobles had, getting together and just relaxing, partying, getting drunk...that kind of stuff. Meili, while a member of the Baozhai, was generally...unwelcome to these events due to who her mother was, but as her late father was a true Noble, there wasn't much the other Nobles could say about it.

She bobbed and weaved through the crowd, trying to get to the punch bowl, knowing to avoid the one on the other side of the room, as that one was usually spiked with some of the specially made Baozhai Booze. The Baozhai also usually worked security for the party, so several women in distinctly ornate qipaos could be seen surveying the party, making sure nobody got too crazy.

Meili herself would have been wearing a qipao, but as this was a party, she was instructed to instead wear something a little more fanciful. So, rather than her usual attire, she instead wore a black, knee-length dress that was heavily bedazzled, so it sparkled with every movement she made. Her feet were clad in a pair of black pumps that were equally sparkly. The only remainder of her usual outfit were her scrunchies in her hair.
Meili Yan Baozhai
Meili Yan Baozhai

Back to top Go down

Noble Meet-Up (PRIVATE | NOBLES) Empty Re: Noble Meet-Up (PRIVATE | NOBLES)

Post by Bill Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:21 pm

Watari Suzumei once again networked in the middle of the ballroom. His glass filled with his preferred brand of scotch he sipped it as yet another boring gentleman attempted to acquire Suzumei funding in another hare-brained scheme. His Asauchi strapped horizontally across the back of his jet-black suit caught the eye of the man as Watari idly toyed with the hilt. The gentleman luckily took the hint and left, which to be fair, was an empty hint. There was no way Watari was going to draw his zanpakuto to make idle threats, not that that was in his character anyway.

The fiddling of the hilt and grip of his Zanpakuto had become a sort of habit associated with the positioning of it, he preferred for his blade to be bound horizontally across his back as it made for easy access. He gazed across the room, ticking off partygoer after partygoer, there was a representative of each of the four major houses here and each was given away by their known symbols and ‘personalities’.

Watari sighed as he lit a cigarette and took a drag from it as he watched a fourteen year old girl push through the crowds nearby. What was her family known for again? Something about blackjack and hookers from memory. Watari wasn’t interested, prosititution and pole-dancers wasn’t really his thing - he could respect the occupation however. While the Baozhai controlled much of the underground of the red-light district, the Suzumei facilitated a lot of the movement of stock across the Soul Society - legal and otherwise.

“ . . . “

The Suzumei Head cocked his head as the child drew closer, he was saddened that she was forced into this charade of maturity. It’d probably creep back to haunt them at some point, but at least today wasn’t the day to think too deeply about it.

“Baozhai-san, it’s good to see you here, the formalities boring you endlessly yet?”
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://bleachsakura.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meili Yan Baozhai Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:55 pm

"Oyo~."

Meili smiled up at the taller man, giving a polite bow as she was sure a member of the family was watching, making sure the "prostitute's child" was on their best behavior.

"Hey there Smokey! I didn't see you there, which is kinda funny considering you're as tall as a building~."

Her voice had a kind of sing-songy tone to it, and her smile never left her face as she spoke. She did move past him slightly to get a drink, her face scrunching up a little as she took a sip from her glass.

"Did they spike this one this year?"

She casually poured the contents of her glass back into the big bowl, not really caring how "unladylike" it was.

"And you know me Smokey, I'm never bored. I just wish I could go back to punching things."

She went to make a pose, but was stopped midway by her dress, a small frown crossing her face before she resumed her normal pose, the smile quickly returning.
Meili Yan Baozhai
Meili Yan Baozhai

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:34 pm

Oh yes, Smokey. How could he forget that name. This particular member of the Baozhai family had a habit of labelling every person she encountered, usually marking them with whatever habits or mannerisms she picked up from observation. He smiled and hid his smile in another sip of his scotch - well at least he wasn’t ‘geezer’, now that would have been an unfortunate nickname.

“I hope not, I heard a couple years back somebody tried that and they killed a member of a minor noble house before they were caught. Our healers are most effective at detecting poisons - or atleast I would hope so” his eyes narrowed at some of the people that were approaching them and that served once again as deterrent enough to avoid the Suzumei head and his short companion. Watari had few things he kept sacred, the innocence of a child was indeed one of the major things and he’d be damned if somebody spoke poison into this child’s ear.

“Have you thought about taking the advanced Hakuda classes? If I recall your skill level surpassed a lot of the basic final year students” another long drag of a cigarette he seemed to pull from nowhere and a few moments passed before a cigarette butt was rubbed into an ashtray on the table beside him. Luckily one of the servants nearby seemed to have nominated himself an ashtray bearer, possibly because Watari had a habit of leaving a trail of them wherever he went.

“If you ever need help with Zanjutsu you can always come to me, though I’m not sure what the other families would think so we’d have to keep it quiet” he whispered. The problem with noble families is they were matchmakers and gossips, it was one of the most unredeeming features of Noble Society and Watari would rather not have rumors spread about some arranged marriage between him and a fourteen year old girl.

“ . . . “

“At some point I may need to arrange a few accidents,” Watari said confidently, quickly and quietly to the fourteen year old. He had no doubt that she had a concept of what he was implying but to be honest Watari had very little idea of why he had said it. A test maybe? Nah that seemed too contrived. Watari was a hypocrite however, thinking about the innocence of children and then telling her about senseless killing? But it wasn’t senseless, was it . . .

Ah, how little Meili was aware of the monsters that the nobility truly were.

Actually. Come to think of it. She probably was completely aware.

Last edited by Bill on Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:03 am

“You’d have to keep what quiet about what, huh, Suzumei-sama?”

He waved at them as he approached, dressed in fine indigo silks, with a dark blue floral haori that bore the Shimazu family crest. He offered a friendly smile to the two, feigning ignorance to the discussion just prior to his entrance. It had been a while since he last attended one of these events, he figured it was best to put his best foot forward.

In his hand he carried a drink he’d taken from a nearby serving station, grimacing as it went down like liquid flame.

“Wow, that’s been spiked,” he took another drink nonetheless.

He remembered attending these events years ago, back when he had more free time. Must have been four, five years since he was last able to show up. Amid the rising contempt against the noble families, he wanted to focus on graduating the shinigami academy and nothing else. Now that he’s not only graduated, but a fully recognized member of the second division, it was time to return to the scene.

“If memory serves, you’re not quite old enough to drink, are you?” He looked to Meili jokingly, “No punch for you!” He took another sip, it was his second drink, and soon he would need another.
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Meili Yan Baozhai Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:22 pm

Meili smiled and nodded at Smokey's remark. It was true she was much more skilled in hand to hand than most of her peers, but part of that was because of her own individual training with her family. But, for the most part, she hid that fact and acted like the class fool. She even had a nickname. "Baka Ranger". She'd had someone who had been to the World of the Living explain to her that it was a play on some TV show the mortals watched.

"If I wasn't an idiot, I'd probably qualify for the advanced Hakuda classes. But the sensei would just laugh me out of the room."

A small frown tried to creep its way onto her face, but Meili quickly suppressed it with another smile.

"As for Zanjutsu, my Zanpakuto isn't really...suited for sword play."

She reached between her thighs and pulled out a small tanto knife, it's sheathe pure black with a yellow line across the middle.

"See? I'd be better of just sticking to my punches and kicks."

She quickly replaced her Zanpakuto to the strap beneath her dress, not really caring how unladylike it looked to an outsider.

"Oyo~? What kind of accidents might those be?"

Before getting an answer, however, a newcomer had joined their little group. The new head of the Shimazu, or as Meili liked to call him, Specs.

"Hey there Specs."

She gave a polite bow.

"It's OK, I didn't want any anyways."

She stuck her tongue out at the older and taller male.
Meili Yan Baozhai
Meili Yan Baozhai

Back to top Go down

Post by Helena Akimoto Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:33 pm

"Oh come now, Shimazu-sama. Some of the oldest looking men I know act like biggest babies." She had bided her time at the bar a few paces behind the small gathering as the party milled around them. Like minnows circling sharks as they drifted through the school, intensely aware of their distance but oddly comfortable in such a tight space. Sharks, notorious for their voracious appetites, certainly had to eat. Much like the nobles gathered here, they would eventually snap their jaws at something, whatever passing fancy qualified today, and then go about their way. 'It couldn't be me', each fish said to themselves content that the school would protect them. Watari, as usual, was right.

Helena's red hair would stand out more in most crowds, but the luxurious and opulent dress of nobility as good as camouflage as any for the venerable nobles. Tonight, she wore a simple black dress far more Western in approach than the overwhelming majority of the locals were willing to go. True, many kimono and qipao and suit were on display but there was something so richly simple to her about a tasteful black dress. A thin strap connected behind her neck leaving her shoulders free, the neckline plunging a safe distance short of scandalous. A martini in her hand with two bleu cheese stuffed olives. All of this said something about her although she truly could not be fucking bothered to reflect on it any further than she already had. This was martini number two and she would adjust future plans in accordance with bearability/unbearability of the company.

"You know, Baozhai-san, I remember my parents 'allowing' me to sneak off with a bottle of plum wine at a holiday gathering once," She bemused as he waded onto the fringe of the conversation, taking up position on Watari's side.

"They knew where I was, what I was doing, but they let me get as deep into the cups as I wanted to with my friends. Then they woke me up bright and early the next morning so I could enjoy the hangover for every savory minute. It was an important lesson in self-moderation; something many people here lack." She eyed the crowd, no one in particular.
Helena Akimoto
Helena Akimoto

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:00 pm

There are more of them here than I'd anticipated.

The short wolf stepped cautiously into the large, open room. She had been invited, although she couldn't help but to ponder over whether or not it had been an accident. Or, perhaps, an ambush. But that isn't what had kept her at home.

A general disdain for nobility and that inner battle against her anti-social nature had done wonders to postpone her decision. However she did hope to bring her family's name into good standing. This might be just what she needed. It wouldn't hurt if she made a friend or two either, but then that was perhaps being a little too hopeful.

Baozhai. Procurers. Bakuto. Still, they are nobles. Somehow.

On this occasion she'd dressed up in one of her favorite kimonos. Silk. White with a single cherry tree, blossoms carried upon the wind. Simple, yes, but she liked the smell of such trees. A white eyepatch covered her left socket. She had spent a good two hours doing her best to brush both her hair and her tail, but it had been a hopeless gambit. Still, her tail was left curled around her waist, almost like a sash. It was fluffy enough to cover the red sash that she actually wore with the kimono. In her hands she carried a simple basket wrapped in red cloth. A gift of gratitude for the invitation, freshly picked strawberries from her garden. Cleaned, of course.

Those who turned towards her were greeted with a single polite lowering of the head. Her large ears twitched, shifting now and then. There were too many conversations for her to really focus on any one. Some were loud. Some whispered. Some were briefly about her, more disdain than anything, but they never lasted very long.

Just being here is good enough. I don't need to stay too long. Now then, where are the Baozhai?

Her eye scanned the room. It wasn't easy, given her stature, and if it weren't for all the perfumes present she might have been able to use her nose. But then she didn't really know their scents either. Eventually she managed to spot one of the family.

She will do.

Not wishing to disturb any other conversations, or perhaps wishing not to get dragged into them, Yuki took the long way around, hugging the wall to avoid as many people as she could. Of course by the time she neared Meili the young Baozhai had already been flanked by multiple party-goers.

Crap.

Claws gripped tightly to the basket, fiddling briefly with the fabric which covered it. She'd hoped to speak alone. It would be quicker that way. Easier. But part of her was glad too. It increased the likelihood that she might hit it off with someone. Anyone.

She waited until there was a pause in the conversation before stepping forth. The basket was extended towards the girl, head lowered further than she'd granted to the others. After all this was the host of the party. Or, at the very least, one of them.

"Hello. I am Yuki of the Kameko Clan. Thank you for the invitation. Please accept these as a token of my gratitude."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 pm

“My, Baozhai-chan, you take me as one of your classmates. It’s not the weapon that makes the blade, it’s the discipline. Discipline a lot of Soul Society lacks I think” he winked at her as they were approached by two other nobles. The first was a tall gentleman who wore the formal haori that was expected of many noble family heads but like many noble customs this wasn’t necessarily followed - his name was Memnoch Shimazu and much like many nobles he seemed to hold a tragic backstory that Watari wasn’t interested in recalling much less care for currently. The other was Helena Akimoto - Watari was sure if “bombshell blonde” applied to redheads it probably applied to her and yet again the same tragedy that seemed to follow nobles also seemed to accompany her.

“Isn’t that the problem Akimoto-san? They are all ‘big babies’ some even act younger than our friend here and her wisdom probably further outweighs there’s. Look around we are surrounded by lackadays and sycophants” as if to confirm his statement he watched a woman slowly making her way through the crowd towards them with a basket in hand. Her eyes were locked on Meili which interested Watari as she didn’t seem that much older - maybe it was her animal-like features?

“And if you pardon the pun Shimazu-san, they mostly resemble a murder of crows - though I hear your friends are a lot more tame?” he winked at this because of course rumors had circulated around the Shimazu family and their affiliations with crows. In fact out of all the nobles houses the Shimazu family was probably the one most notorious with their signature house animal. Watari had never quite worked out why, but he suspected it was to do with all the relics that the family held in high regard.

“Now tell me” as the woman with the strawberries approached “what would you all do, to restore justice to Soul Society”

“. . . “

Hmm?

“A nobles justice”
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:38 pm

“I guess that’s just something men are well known for in general, Akimoto-sama,” he laughed and took another sip of his drink. The sweet smell of fresh berries filled the air when Kameko arrived with her gift. Shimazu suddenly became distinctly aware he did not bring a gift. He noticed a growing feeling in the pit of his stomach — embarrassment? inadequacy? — before promptly washing those feelings away with another, larger, sip of his punch.

He stifled a groan at Suzumei’s pun, working to force a friendly and support laugh and smile. He wanted to say that he found the two to be more alike than different. He wanted to say they’re both greedy, sneaky little thieves. That they only feel big because they’re part of something larger. All that came out was, “hah, yeah...”

His attention ended up on Kameko, the head of one of seireitei’s beast clans. He, too, was curious what her response to Suzumei’s question would be.
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Meili Yan Baozhai Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:18 pm

"Oyo oyo~."

When the red-headed beauty made her presence known, Meili was actually taken aback a little. To think that a representative of most of the Noble Houses would congregate to one area was, astounding to say the least, especially in recent times. However, Meili was even more surprised that the red head was badgering Meili into taking a sip of the alcohol-spiked punch.

"I think I'll pass on drinking from the punch Red, after-all..."

Her voice and facial features moved to a much more serious tone as she spoke.

"It might awaken my mother's genes, and my family wouldn't want that."

Her face quickly reverted back, as if she had never even been serious in the first place and her tone went back to her usual sing songy tone.

She was then taken by surprise again as a small wolf-girl came into the congregation, presenting a basket to Meili, of all people.

"Oyo~? A gift? You didn't have to, but I thank you anways."

She moved to reach for the basket only for a women in a qipao to arrive before them, take the basket, give a silent nod to Meili, and quickly disperse back into the crowd.

"Pbfffft..."

Meili would childishly stick her tongue out and blow a raspberry at the woman when she was certainly out of earshot.

"Those security officers. Always so professional. I wish they'd learn to relax and take the sticks out of their butts."

She gave a light chuckle at her own words before returning her attention to her new entourage as Suzumei returned to their earlier conversation. She was about to respond, but then he offered an interesting query. One that gave Meili pause as she stopped to think.

"Hmm...are you saying Justice has left the Soul Society? That we are in an unjust era? Or are you just asking for a hypothetical?"

Gone was the sing-songy girl from before. Now before them stood a much more serious girl, one who exuded wisdom far beyond her years. While it was true that Meili was young, easily the youngest here, she only acted like a fool because it relaxed her and kept her mind off the more serious issues that plagued her family.
Meili Yan Baozhai
Meili Yan Baozhai

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:43 pm

With her gift accepted Yuki straightened her posture, finally taking a brief moment to look over the others gathered nearby. A tall, shapely red-head. Another member of the fifth division, nobility from the Akimoto clan. An even taller man who smelled of smoke. She nearly winced, but managed to keep herself composed. What division he belonged to she didn't know, but she'd overheard others speaking of the Suzumei clan. Perhaps it was referencing him? And finally there was another man who, somehow, was even taller than the last! She didn't recognize him, but the one she suspected belonged to the Suzumei had already outed this one as a member of the Shimazu clan.

Why are they all so tall? Well. Save for her, of course.

Her attention returned to the shortest of the bunch. Of course if one were to subtract her ears then Yuki might actually have been just a little shorter. But she liked to count them. So no, Yuki was not the shortest. In any case she was right. There was no need to bring a gift. Yuki simply felt it was the polite thing to do.

Who doesn't like strawberries? Wait, was that question directed towards each of us?

Perhaps this was her chance! She could actually attempt to join a conversation! And not one about fighting! Or during a fight!

"Which injustices are you hoping to reverse? I believe most of us are disciplined enough to remain on the proper side of the law. At least, that has been my experience thus far" calmly replied the wolf. Was there something she was missing here? Perhaps something had occurred which had prompted the question in the first place.

Without a basket to carry she allowed her hands to settle together in front of her. Yep. This was a good start!
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

“First, I’d start by giving whoever made this punch a raise, pardon me,” he said as he finished the contents of his cup. He broke from the group long enough to fill his cup for the third time tonight. He pondered the question some more, returning to hear his fellows chitter among themselves.

“A nobles justice...” he began aloud. He felt the question was particularly leveled at him, considering his father’s death in the years prior in a rukongai revolt. What justice should those responsible face? Death? The answer to death is not more death. Imprisonment? To allow them to live, without life’s joys? Would that be justice?

“Order is what we should strive for. And balance, too. I know what you’re thinking, what a stick in the mud. But I will admit that I’m feeling a little bit... off balance,” he wobbled in place and took another swig of his punch.  “I think by far the most unfortunate part is knowing that sometimes, injustice is necessary in the interest of balance.”

“What about you, Suzumei-sama? What do you think?”
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Helena Akimoto Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 am

Despite her concious effort otherwise, Helena couldn't help but roll her eyes at the trite if not cliched comments of the Head of the Shimazu clan. It's not that she expected something else, or even deserved another answer, but rather that...despite his age, despite the circumstances by which he had come to 'power', Memnoch Shimazu was probably just another cog in the machine. It spun long before him, and would long after. Dont get it twisted; that is not an insult.

"It's interesting that Suzumei-sama thinks justice is absent and needs restoration." She twirled the toothpick and the two olives skewered by it around in her martini. The thought of eating them, and thereby keeping her mouth shut, was genuinely more enticing than getting drawn into this but sometimes people just cannot help themselves. What an apt metaphor for the subtext of the question.

"Perhaps such a word loses meaning to those in power, to those with the swords. Justice is for the oppressed." At that she shrugged and grabbed the toothpick, her pearly white teeth closing around the lower of the two olives and sliding it off and into her mouth. As the salty tang of the bleu cheese mixed with the alcohol she couldn't help but shrug at her own poingnant-ness. Of course she was impressed with herself, why shouldnt she be?
Helena Akimoto
Helena Akimoto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Another cigarette lit and between his fingers Watari mused as the various partygoers responded. Memnoch seemed almost reluctant to speak his true feelings as his words were pensive and guarded. The childish shroud that clung from Meili fell for a brief moment and the haunted child underneath showed almost eerie wisdom as if him calling her out, had given her pause to actually speak her mind. The small beast girl from the Kameko clan even spoke when given the opportunity, perfect.

“Some would call my words treasonous. Just another noble head saying how corrupt nobility is. But the Gotei Six will not act without the Central Forty Six’s jurisdiction. Around us are our families murderers and betrayers. Every tragedy that’s even befallen you in your lives stems either from nobility or the lethargic captaincy that currently rots in decadence within their mock army” he let those words sink in. Right now only these four guests could hear him as the Suzumei Family’s guards expertly rearranged the room in an unnoticeable way. The Suzumei Family had infiltrated the party, they were the servants that ushered attendants across the room, they were the pompous fake aristocrats that held up precious floor space. In fact for a good fifty meters, outside of these four there wasn’t a single member of the party that was from the outside.

“You four stand here because I know you agree with me. I am not a ‘good’ man nor am I an ‘evil’ man but are we just going to stand here while the nobility runs rampant and the gotei six squanders resources? There hasn’t been a Shinigami who has achieved bankai in one hundred years!” At this he took a sharp draw of his cigarette and looked them all in the eyes. Perhaps he saw what he wanted to see? Perhaps the man known as Watari was broken that day and these were the ramblings of a crazed man. For his actions weren’t ‘evil’ they were right.

“Memnoch Shimazu, twelfth head of the Noble Shimazu Household. Your family’s intelligence gathering surpasses any other under the guise of being ‘relic collectors’ - I offer you justice for your family”
Memnoch has been easy, the servants who had lured him with liquor had been surplanting the idea of the punch bowl all night. It was only a matter of time.

“Meilli Baozhai - the forgotten daughter, the unsung hakuda savant. You are the most inconspicuous person within the noble houses because nobody wants to notice you and there is your greatest strength, for your intelligence far surpasses those who hold seats in your home. I offer you your birthright”
Meili always gravitated towards those who were tall; apparently she had a penchant for perching on their shoulders if possible. Also he’d done quite a bit of socializing with her in the past during parties, so him driving away party guests was just all like clockwork.

“Helena Akimoto, I’m sorry for every tragedy that has befallen you. I’m sorry for everything I will do in my pursuit of ‘truth’ . In fact out of our little gathering you are my wildcard. All I can offer you is friendship” Helena was always followed by suitors, she subconsciously avoided them so Watari had just placed men around the room doting after her until she was pushed in his direction.

Then finally his eyes snapped to the small beast girl. She would have never even made it into the party if it wasn’t for him - but he wasn’t going to stay that.

“Yuki Kameko. Your kind is discriminated against, pushed aside and laughed at. But why? Because you hold the guise of animals? They say there were captains in the past who were beast-kin so why now? I, my dear see your potential and the potential of your family. I offer you equality. For there is no difference between you and I”

Once more he took a drag of his cigarette and grinded it out into the ashbowl.

“I am going to arrange the assassinations of every key member of a noble family in Soul Society. Very quickly the Shimazu, Suzumei, Akimoto and Baozhai families will rise to the top as being the four major powers, unfortunately due to the rampant discrimination I cannot guarantee the same for the Kameko, but I suspect the other beast families will lend you their aid. If you agree to walking towards a greater justice for Soul Society, then after the noble families I will expect you all to a play a part in the ‘restoration of the Gotei 6’”

Ah now here was the kicker wasn’t it. The part where his gamble would pay off or fall flat. At any moment one of these people could expose his plan and let loose his delicate web of movements.

“Of course I’ll need your agreement. The birth of the four great noble houses and the hidden fifth. You can decline and I won’t attempt to chase you down, I hope you wouldn’t speak of my plans to anyone but I can’t guarantee that”
[/b]
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meili Yan Baozhai Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Meili's face was neutral as she listened to Suzumei-san's proposal. While all of what he said was true, did that truly justify taking out the other noble families? Would it restore the honor that Meili, and the Baozhai as a whole, have felt that the Soul Society has been lacking in recent generations?

She would close her eyes to think, listening intently to the rest of what he offered. While it was true that Meili was the "forgotten daughter" as he so eloquently put it, even she knew it was for very good reason. After all, could she ever truly call herself a Noble when she was born from the union of a Nobleman and his prostitute?

That being said, her father had done everything in his power to protect Meili, eventually giving his own life, something that Meili held heavily in her heart. But when he died, the negativity only increased. She'd been called everything from "whore's daughter" to "prostitute's filth". Noble blood ran through her veins, just as much as it did the others present, but the Soul Society had seen rampant stagnation within the Nobility.

She would open her eyes, the emeralds within shining with some slight tears as the memories of her father washed over her. She casually wiped the tears away and stared up at Watari, giving him a light nod.

"Very well. I will accept this proposal...on one condition...you can arrange for me to become next in line for succession, can you not? If you are to restore my birthright, then rather than assassinate those in front of me...let us do this the way my family has always done things. A battle of honor. If I can fight my way to the top, my family will have no choice by their own laws but to accept me. The only caveat...is that someone outside of the family must sponsor me...I wish for that to be you."

She gracefully extended her hand, as if she were a princess waiting for a knight to take it.

"Will you accept this? Or would you rather we do things your way? Because I am sorry, if we do things your way, I will have to decline."
Meili Yan Baozhai
Meili Yan Baozhai

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 am

Yuki cringed slightly. Great. He had to smoke right here, didn't he? The tip of her tail twitched, repeatedly patting against her side.

What a horrendous smell. He is right though. The nobility is rotten to the core.

Her eye shifted, briefly pausing upon each of those gathered nearby. It was only then that she noticed just how far away everyone else had been pushed. Had this been his doing? If so she had to give him due credit. She'd also need to be more wary of him and, especially now, whatever might come next.

Once more her gaze settled upon the potentially treasonous man, laser focused. She observed his mannerisms. Every little movement he made. Her tail unfurled slowly from around her waist, left hand settling upon the tsuka of her zanpakuto. Ears perked up, twitching occasionally at nearby noises. Every muscle within her body tensed up. She was prepared for battle, should it come.

And then, one by one, he started to dissect each person standing before him. Justice for the Shimazu clan. Birthright for the Baozhai girl. Friendship for the Akimoto clan. Equality for the Kameko clan. Pretty words. Precise words. He had done his research. How much of this gathering had been accidental? It only put her even more on edge.

At this range I could potentially cut him down before the others got involved. Maybe. Even so, he is, once again, right. What he offers is fair.

That is, it was until he started to speak of assassinations. She didn't like the nobility. Not one bit. But such cowardly actions were unthinkable. And already he was setting up four new noble families. Okay, he did say that the Kameko would be a hidden fifth, but did he not just offer her equality? Could he really be trusted?

Oh yes. You would simply allow any one of us to leave with this information. I doubt that.

The grip upon her weapon tightened. Teeth gritted together, her tail slapping at the air behind her. But as the young Baozhai girl started to speak Yuki calmed herself, gaze shifting towards her. She was prepared to accept this proposal. Yuki certainly approved of her methods. An honorable battle. She paused, giving the smoker enough time to reply to the younger Shinigami. Only afterwards would she finally reply. That is, after she took a quick breath to calm herself.

"Why must we replace one nobility with another? How are we to trust you? To trust that things will be different? You make a lovely speech expounding upon what our future selves might grasp, but you propose nothing that reassures us that there will be real change. Nor do we know that any of this would actually benefit us, or more importantly, those who are used now by the nobility. You've already promised equality, only to then go on to say that my clan would be a hidden nobility. I don't trust your words."

Actually speaking the words only further cemented her distrust. Was this her? Or was this her darker side? Was she overthinking this? No. This was no joke.

"Nor can I agree with cowardly assassinations. It is a dishonorable act. Just what are your plans, should this succeed? Could it succeed without such wicked acts?"

Her left leg shifted back a few inches. Ears remained still, focused upon those nearby. She was prepared for retaliation, should it come.

Let's just see what he has to say. I mean, he isn't entirely wrong.
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:06 am

“Baozhai-chan, you act as if the documentation hasn’t already been signed in my suit pocket to move for being your benefactor. Of course we’ll need to work out a few things, the old Hollow fighting pits are probably an appropriate place to challenge each successor. I believe at last look there’s ten? Can you do it?” his hand vanished into the silk lining of his suit jacket and he retrieved a small parchment sealed with the Suzumei Crest, in it was a formal acknowledge of the denunciation of the current Baozhai Head and his successor and a push for a forgotten noble custom of a “Sakura Back Fight”.

A Sakura Back Fight, was an old noble custom where a noble house or member within the house could declare it at any moment. It was a no holds barred fight to the death or submission in which the winner was declared sole head of the house or other houses.

He took Meili’s hand and with the other passed her the parchment.

“This will invoke a Sakura Back Fight against those ten, now play nice, it’d be unfortunate if I put all my chips on the wrong hand” he liked that name, it had a particular ring to it. Watari had done research on the ‘Sakura Back Fight’ apparently it even extended to challenges of Captaincy but that particular aspect had had the name dropped long ago. The ‘Sakura’ part of the name came from the fights often happening during Spring as it was a ‘fresh beginning’ - he imagined the ‘back’ part came from it being backhanded? Ah, enough about the etymology of names.

His eyes then snapped to Yuki Kameko as she spoke, there was an irony in the shortest people here being the first to speak. In fact it was almost poetic, but what she said was true, why trust Watari Suzumei? The man who would plot assassinations and the overthrowing of kings? Why not.

“ . . . Because you’re all they have . . . “ a voice whispered in amongst his thoughts.

And a smile cracked across his face and he almost burst out laughing.

Not at Yuki . . . no no . .  his Zanpakuto, of all the times it chose to commune with him - it chose now. In the moment of composure and absolute precision it chose to fire him a curveball now.

“Completely true” Watari agreed his smile still spread across his face

“Why trust me? You speak of my acts as dishonorable yet your kith and kin are killed in their sleep? To play a noble game you must obey noble rules and quite frankly I would happily put your family in power, I’d do it right now but those in the rukongai? The Shinigami? The people at this party who aren’t our small group of individuals. Do you really think they’d understand and be capable of acceptance? I’m offering you the ability to make change”
at this the head of the Suzumei family gestured to the blade that her tail was twisting oh so nearer too. This was to be expected, his words were treasonous after all - but you didn’t gamble unless you wanted some degree of payoff.

“Go on then any of you, if you really think I am the monster, strike me down”

And you? What is your name

“Watari you always knew my name”

And his smile grew wider.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Helena Akimoto Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:26 pm

"Done," she spoke between thin-pressed lips as the smoking man from the Suzumei cracked a smile. He was apparently enjoying the fruits now being earned by his very labor; a painstakingly precise setup that required no small insight into a bunch of comparative strangers, the structures of their houses, their more intimate rivalries and friendships...all laid bear in an instant without the man lifting an apparent finger. It was enough for each of them to be caught red-handed or perhaps she was just projecting.

Helena had stirred her martini with the olives on their skewer but she'd ceased such idle civility; she now stirred her drink with her finger. "Consider it done. Whatever my part may be." She repeated, through the same thin-pressed lips as before but this time with more energy, more conviction. The other nobility assembled here faced a true and genuine obstacle to what was being asked of them.

The Baozhai whelp was nowhere near the front of the pecking order but the fact that she was both willing to fight for it, and not in the least bit intimidated, affirmed for her what she knew to be true in her heart of hearts: the Baozhai had grown weak. And when the bones are weak? Nothing can stand. No, this little pit fiend of a woman would be their brutal surgeon, carving out weakness and faithlessness with all the touch and precision of a blacksmith. And that was for the best.

The Shimazu boy was waify and ethereal, already clearly in over his head (or maybe that was just the booze working its magic) and in desperate need of someone to grab the rudders before the greedy and bloated corpse of his family's elders steered him down the path of irredeemability.

The apology that Watari had offered her...struck. It struck squarely, surely, and cut deep into her chest where she might have otherwise retreated to at the sight of such scheming. None of this was her place despite how far she had climbed. Everything she had she owed to having earned it safely away from those who might trample it and at great personal cost. For so long she had been held back, for so long she had been forced into a small, cramped space that she was made to scream her thankfulness for.

It wasn't enough.

It would never be enough.

But what Watari offered might be.

She flashed those dangerous eyes, reflecting the fire of her soul and her vibrant red hair as her imagination and heart both began to race. This was the work of a man among children and she was very much enjoying the show.
Helena Akimoto
Helena Akimoto

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:23 pm

The conversation that followed was tense, unexpected, and suspenseful. He couldn’t argue Seireitei’s nobility was regarded as corrupt, and for good reason, but for Suzumei to consider wiping out every other noble family in Seireitei? The noble class were responsible for the creation of the Soul Society as everyone knows it. Without the contribution of a number of different families, there would be no Gotei 6, no Kido Corps, or a Central 46. Soul Society itself would not exist. Was it justice to wipe them out? Yes, they were liars, cheaters, schemers, and yes, even murderers. Yes, they were corrupt. Was it justice?

No, it wasn’t justice.

But balance.

“Ok, I’m in. I would like first consideration on any relics, artifacts, or treasures or historic value. It’s important these things are documented, displayed, and remembered, after all, and not simply lost to history.” He spoke somewhat reserved, almost defeated. Instead of opposing Suzumei, he chose to make the best of what he felt was an inevitable situation. He didn’t have it in him to properly oppose Suzumei at the moment, any way. He was drunk, off guard, and without his zanpakuto. Could he even cast a spell right now, or would he ruin the incantation and ignite the booze in his blood?

“I propose a toast,” he was almost out of punch again. He waited for everyone to raise their glass, though he would drink with or without them.

“To change.”
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:34 am

As each of them responded to the Suzumei Yuki's red orb drifted, constricted pupil absorbing information with intense focus. Body type. Weapons. Every gesture was catalogued. Her face was mostly stoic, but her eye betrayed her emotions. The wild thrashing of her tail didn't help either. She was having troubles suppressing not only her reiatsu, but also her other nature.

After all, wouldn't this just be a grand fight? A proper hunt?! Yes, they would be perfect opponents!

No. One has been drinking a bit much. But the others could put up a fight.

For a brief moment her gaze snapped towards Helena.

She could fight. I'd be outnumbered. That won't end pretty. It is possible that some of them may keep out of it. Some may even switch if a fight broke out, at least to save face. But if I attacked them right now I wouldn't just be fighting them either. He chose his setting well.

Indeed, Suzumei had them pinned in a corner of the room. Each of them agreed with him. If a fight were to break out then it'd be their word against her own. She could probably end him, certainly, but that would also end her career. Worse still, it would end her clan.

Fuck. He's already achieved victory.

"You are fools."

Oh yes. What a lovely way to make friends. But it was honestly the truth. At least from her point of view.

"I'll join on two conditions. First, that this is done without any assassinations. None. If you cannot abide by that rule then I will cut you down. Here and now if I must. You and anyone else who gets in my way. Secondly, we need to commit to real change. None of this bullshit you're spouting. We need a real plan set forth before any action is taken."

Yuki's grip tightened. Here it was. The moment of truth.
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 am

“You could do it right now, just whisper my name and I’ll remove all your problems”

“I would rather not, I would like to have some inkling of control of my own plans”

He had Meili Baozhai.

He had Helena Akimoto.

He had Memnoch Shimazu.

To be honest he had expected more of a fight from both but it seemed Helena had ceded to the plan because it aligned very much with her own goals and Memnoch was surprisingly more greedy about relics than what was previously thought. In fact, proposing a toast was exactly what Watari wanted because it fit very well into everything he had conceived this night.

Well.

That was except for the Kameko girl.

“Your first condition isn’t how these things work, you can not just walk up to a noble and stab them in the back. I told you, to play noble games you obey nobles rules” did she really think it was that easy? Walk into this room and every single noble house and kill whom she wanted? No, soul king no. Watari half-wanted to chuck her into the fighting pits he’d mentioned previously and watch her fight a few trained house guards - actually see if she was as capable as she made out to be. No. She was ignorant perhaps but he couldn’t fault her for that. That was her upbringing.

“You want to know my plans? Fine. I, Watari Suzumei am going to seize control of nobledom through a coup. The only antidote to the poison laced in every ounce of food and liquid consumed here is located in this punch bowl. My servants have managed to force at least a bite down all the key players throats. In exactly twenty seven minutes all of them will die” Watari pointed to the cup that Shimazu held unsteadily, he pointed to the martini in Helena’s hand that suspiciously held the same color as the punch, within Meili Baozhai’s hand a small vial glinted nestled in the parchment and finally in his own glass he ladled some of the liquid. He had said to Meili Baozhai that healers were very capable of detecting poisons, it was a shame Squad three and any other healers had been pulled to a major fire in the Rukon.

“Finally once we seize nobledom I will work to achieve bankai and challenge the Captain of Squad Six and seize his captaincy. After that? I don’t know to be honest, reform the Central 46? The academy? Make the Gotei Six the military Junta it should be? Skys the limit we just have to get there first” he smiled, the only solid parts of Watari’s plan so far had been this night. He knew that he wanted to be a Captain at some point but he didn’t even have bankai and before now he wasn’t even sure he was capable of achieving Shikai. Small beginnings. Humble beginnings.

“Drink up” he said proffering a glass to Yuki

Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:54 am

What? How else does he plan to assassinate them?

When Watari started to explain his plan in detail Yuki's entire body tensed up, froze really, as a chill shot along her spine and up her tail. Her red orb widened, darted around swiftly. As she'd expected, he'd already won this battle. All she had done was underestimate just how thoroughly that victory had been.

Twenty seven minutes.

She followed Watari's hand as he pointed out the obvious. Antidotes. Meili's was not yet consumed. Yuki could try for it. Perhaps she could call out, alert the others.

Had the smoking been a cover? Fuck. I can't believe I missed that!

Finally her gaze settled upon the glass offered to her. She hadn't consumed anything yet. In fact as soon as she'd entered she'd made a bee-line towards the young Baozhai. If she could keep the girl from consuming her antidote then she'd simply need to outlast her. One of the four were drunk. He would be of little issue, she hoped. But that still left both Helena and Suzumei. And, of course, Meili within those twenty seven minutes.

No. It's not enough time. Not enough time to make new antidotes, I'm sure. These people are already dead. His plan is already set into motion.

Her fingers loosened their grip. She could still fight them. But what was the point now? It was already done.

"As if I'd trust a drink from you after hearing all of that" she grumbled. A slightly shaky sigh left her lips. A defeat like this was unbearable. "Very well. I'll join you. But if you sway from the path of righteousness I won't hesitate to uphold my promise. Nor will I take back what I said earlier. We need a solid plan."

At long last her hand left her weapon entirely, arms crossing over her chest. Her tail even calmed down just a little bit. She didn't like this. Not one bit. But it might restore her clan. It would give her a chance to steer this thing in the right direction. And perhaps she might even make a friend.

Bah! Who was she kidding? That's unlikely.

"I must request you not slay the fifth's captain. I'd rather take that seat properly for myself."

Last edited by Yuki Kameko on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing spelling mistake!)
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:16 am

“What? Just like that” Watari said, almost frustrated. For a moment his face slipped and he lost all composure, had he been attempting to goad her to try, maybe? In a way he was disappointed if she’d ran him through right then and there maybe he’d have known what death actually tasted like. Maybe he would have found peace in it. God he wished for that. Watari was disappointed.

“Come now, surely there’s more from you?” to be fair this was entirely unscripted. Most of it had been plotted from the beginning, Helena had always been the wild card in his plans and he’d suspected Kameko would try to enter the party and cause a disruption but this? This was . . . boring. He hated it! Where was her fight? He had won just like this? Just like that.

“No” Watari whispered almost inaudibly so they could only just hear the words escape his lips. “No you won’t join us” he had Meili’s honor, he had Memnoch’s greed and he had Helena’s respect. But he had nothing from Yuki Kameko? A word? Empires weren’t built on words. Leaders weren’t built on empty promises . . . he would not have it!

His eyes narrowed.

His lips pursed.

“Marry me”

His eyes stared directly into hers.

“Marry me and secure legitimacy of your clan and your place in my plans. Put your mind and heart at ease and actually join us” and then with those words he took another sip of the punch, it had a hint of blueberry in it. Wow, was that what crazed marriage proposals tasted like? Probably. But he wasn’t crazy.

To play noble games.

You had to obey noble rules.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:46 am

He is disappointed? What?

Yuki was equally flabbergasted. Suzumei had already achieved victory. Total victory. He'd slain his foes without their even knowing it. He'd easily convinced four of the nobles attending the party to join him. He'd defeated Yuki so thoroughly that even she had to admit defeat.

And yet he wanted more? More?! What more could he possibly desire?!

"Marry. . ." she whispered. No, she couldn't believe it herself. Had he? Oh yes. Yes he had.

"Marry you?"

She felt sick to her stomach. Where was his promise of change? This wasn't change. He just wanted to use her. Legitimize her family? Had he not offered her the chance to join? Had he not promised equality? Had he had any idea what that would do to her clan? He would erase her family's name.

Her answer had been yes. She would join him. And now that she had he'd decided to simply pull the rug out from under her. Her terms were reasonable. Right? No. Of course not. He can't be trusted. She'd said it herself before. He was playing some sick game on her.

Just like the others. He's no different. Can you really expect justice from this scum?!

The almost stoic facade crumbled away, replaced by a wicked grin. Sharpened teeth were flashed. Around her the air grew heavier. Something was stirring within the wolf.

"Secure the legitimacy of my clan?!"

Yuki started to chuckle. A tired, quiet chuckle. Her arms fell to her sides.

They are already dead. No point in holding back, eh? Nah. I smell prey.

Once more her pupil was constricted, focused now upon Suzumei's gaze.

"You and me then. You wanna play games with me? Let's play games."

All at once she dropped her control. No longer was her power being held back. In a flash she gripped her blade and swept forth, unleashing the weapon in an arch aimed for Suzumei's midsection. The sheathe was captured by her tail, pulled free to be used if need be.

After all, the others might decide to jump in. But she didn't care anymore. Everyone else in the room no longer mattered.

It was her against the world, just as it always had been.

Last edited by Yuki Kameko on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next