Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Noble Guest? [Closed/Watari]

2 posters

Go down

A Noble Guest? [Closed/Watari] Empty A Noble Guest? [Closed/Watari]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Hatayama Clan Estate
Seireitei
Soul Society

-------------------------------------

Zenji was fussing around with the household servants to make sure the tea room was prepared for the arrival of their prestigious guest. In truth Zenji wasn’t exactly up-to-date on the current hierarchy amongst the Clans but he was at least pretty sure that the Suzumei Family was significant. Regardless even if they weren’t powerful, the Head of any Noble Clan visiting was a big deal for the Hatayama Household.

Although they were nobility themselves the truth of the matter was that many within the upper-classes thought of the Hatayamas as little better than glorified priests. It was, in some ways, not an unfair assessment. Zenji himself was a fairly poor excuse for a noble all things considered. However some of the older families still respected his Clan despite their ever constant decline and sometimes prestige was possible without actual power. It was amusing when one considered that the Hatayama Clan existed largely thanks to the continued good will of the more wealthy houses who provided donations for the Shrine and Gardens.

The sun was beginning to set when Zenji finally let the servants get on with their jobs without constantly getting in their way with his worries. The message from Lord Watari had said he’d arrived after sunset so it wouldn’t be long now. Taking some time to tidy himself up, changing into black monk-like robes, with prayer beads around his right wrist and prayer cloth arranged tidily around his neck the Shinigami finally considered himself tidy.

Zenji spent the next few hours of his free time visiting the Shrine and the expansive mystical library of the Clan. Taking one of the scrolls, a treatise on the principles of energy conservation with bakudo, Zenji retreated to one of the quiet reception rooms where he would receive his guest upon arrival.

Sipping his hot cup of karigane tea, Zanpakuto leaning against the nearby wall, Zenji focused on the treatise in front of him in an attempt to distract himself. Whilst the Estate was open to visitors it was very rare that Zenji himself had to host anyone. Taking another sip of tea he redoubled his efforts to focus solely on the scrolls and to drive his anxiety down to a mere whisper.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

A Noble Guest? [Closed/Watari] Empty Re: A Noble Guest? [Closed/Watari]

Post by Bill Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:11 am

Loose ends were a pain. Burning warehouse, check,  promises to the right people, check and finally all those pesky little nobles that he thought were at the party but then turned out that going to a party was too against their religious and worship of the soul king for them to actually want to attend. Loose ends. Hated them. Easy to fix however, it just took small detours in the right places and making sure he visited the right people.

So loose ends brought Watari to here of all places, the shrines and gardens of the Hatayama clan, self imposed most religious do-gooders of Soul Society. You know the problem with religious folk? They got in the way, it wasn't really their own problem, the problem was religious folk collected relics and Watari had already promised relics to Memnoch. So really this meeting was going to go two ways.

He killed everyone.

Or he didn’t!

Thankfully for the Hatayama Clan head Yuki Kameko had at least shifted Watari’s view on the world to be a little less - burn them while they slept. To being a more talk to them and then set them on fire. Lovely. He blamed Meili Baozhai as well, both of them seemed to have this idea that when you ran somebody through with a Zanpakuto you should do it from the front.

Eh,

Plans changed.

So as Watari was guided through the lovely scented candles and shaking of prayer beads to announce his arrival and all the good blessings and prayers to come his way as a prestigious lord visiting their house - yadda yadda. Watari had to remind himself that it wasn’t that he hated or even disliked the Hatayama, he actually very much liked the way the name sounded - it just that religion and business didn’t mix.

“Hatayama-san, a pleasure to see you again, you missed the party! - well actually I’m glad you missed the party” Watari greeted his fellow head and observed he was reading some sort of scroll. Probably a religious text, this clan went absolutely mad for those. Unfortunately for Watari the room only had a tatami mat and a table ah so he’d have to kneel, well that was fine, the Shimazu had a similar arrangement.

Be better.

Ehhhh ignore the pleasantries on the pursuit of being better.

“Tell me Hatayama-san, how aware of the Noble families are you?”
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://bleachsakura.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:16 am

So engrossed in his reading was Zenji that he didn’t immediately become aware of the other man as he entered the room. He was reading an interesting element that proposed the modification of traditional incantations as a means of reaching for greater energy efficiency.  Hearing the voice caused his head to snap up and a brief look of embarrassment to flicker across his face. “Lord Suzumei. Apologises I allowed myself to get a little too distracted.” he quickly said rolling the ancient scroll up with delicate care and putting it aside.

Standing Zenji bowed deeply to Watari before gesturing to the mat. “Welcome to my humble abode. Please take a seat.” he would offer before taking his own position at the opposite side of the small table.

Kneeling he put his hands on his thighs, grimacing slightly at Watari’s words, he had of course heard about the event in question but unfortunately his Clan existed at the edge of noble society and only seemed to learn about popular trends and events after the fact. The party in question he had been informed of only after he had already made promises to reorganise an old section of First Division’s records surrounding the Rukongai anti-Hollow patrols from around 50 years ago. “I do apologise to your Lordship. I am afraid that we here at the Hatayama Clan very frequently hear about such things only too late.”

As he spoke two maids came in with trays containing hot tea, warmed sake and even a small selection of sweet snacks. They were placed upon the table between the two Shinigami.

Once the servants had left Zenji’s head tilted in what appeared to be genuine confusion over the question asked. “Well I know we here don’t exactly match up to the venerable image conjured by the title.” he said with an element of self-deprecating humour. Pausing he considered the question further before continuing. “I am aware of the names of most of the Clans, it is something we are all expected to learn at a young age, however the exact social hierarchy of current times alludes me. Aside from that I know we exist often for specific reasons and to be the pillars to help support the Soul Society, for the betterment of all who dwell within this realm.” he answered with what appeared to be genuine belief, the same naive surety that came with being a Scholar who had never seen the truth of High Society nor how poor things got for the people at the very bottom.

“Why do you ask?” he added with open curiosity.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:50 am

Watari took his place kneeling on the opposite side of the table to the scholar, the customs were fine because the sake was free and the Head of the Suzumei was never going to say no to good sake. Especially sake that he suspected wasn’t drunk very much in this most pious of Shinigami houses.

Hayayama’s comment of humble was probably an understatement: the shrines of the Hatayama Clan and their archives were said to rival the Gotei 6. Their records stretched back to the dawn of the Gotei Six itself - it was even said that the Hatayama knew what the forbidden kido were but chose not to speak the ancient texts for fear of being executed by the Gotei 6.

“Ah, I respect your honesty Hatayama-san it’s refreshing among the nobility,” Watari said, nodding and taking a sip of sake.

“You sure it’s not poisoned?” a sneering voice asked from Watari’s back but the Shinigami ignored the snide comment of his Zanpakuto, of course it wasn’t. The Hatayama weren’t monsters like himself. They at least had a modicum of respect.

“I ask, because if you were like the rest, you’d be dead already Watari smiled happily. The Shinigami took this moment to let just a tiny bit of his spiritual pressure wash over his compatriot, just a tiny bit to really add oomph to his words. The asphyxiating nature of his spiritual pressure would do the rest for him, that was why he kept it sealed under lock and key so tightly.

“The truth is Hatayama-san, I am not a religious man nor am I a murderer. I am a man of means” at this Watari drained the last of his cup of Sake and proceeded to pull a cigarette out of his suit and light it with his thumb. He took a long drag of it and let the words sink into the quiet docile man across from him. He had always liked Zenji Hatayama, a nice guy, the type of guy that was equally likely to plot your downfall as he was to respect you. That's why you had to lay it all on the table and then get him to make his own decisions.

“So tell me Hatayama, Head to Family Head. Can I trust you?”

Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:11 am

Zenji frowned slightly in response. It wasn’t a gesture of disapproval or anger but rather one of sheer confusion. ‘Dead? What in the Heavens does he mea- the thought was cut short as the Spiritual Pressure washed over him. Instinctively, in response, Zenji’s own Reiatsu flickered to life. A small, almost minute, burst of warmth as if seeking to keep the rival power at bay. It did little other than push some of the panic from Zenji’s heart. His first thought was that he was in danger but reason soon asserted itself. That wouldn’t make sense. True the Hatayamas where weak but they had guards and, more importantly, they had the Branch Family. Adopted Spiritual Souls from the Rukongai trained to be Monks and Shrine Maidens, gifted with a touch of the Mystic Arts. Their power was of course nothing compared to the Shinigami but they had numbers enough to make any wannabe assassin's life very unpleasant.

Most importantly Watari did not seem like a man willing to dive in and die. Zenji imagined if the man had truly wanted him dead he’d never see it coming. So what did he want? Even with the unpleasant beginning to the conversation Zenji couldn’t help but scrunch up his nose as the cigarette was lit up. Ironically the foul smoke helped refocus Zenji.

Slipping back into his usual calm demeanour Zenji let silence reign once the question was asked. Instead he took his time preparing himself a cup of tea, he had long studied the Way of Tea and found comfort in the act. As he poured the soothing liquid into his cup, and a second cup for his guest regardless of his interest, he contemplated the situation. Clearly something greater was happening around him that Zenji was unfamiliar with.

He looked up at Watari. The truth was he didn’t instantly dislike the man or anything of the sort, in fact he found the bluntness of the conversation rather refreshing. Zenji was a polite man but he had little love for the political dancing other Nobles seemed to delight in.

Responding in a clear, steady, tone Zenji smiled slightly. “It would be quite nice to simply say yes but that would not be an honest response.” he told the other Shinigami. Honestly. Truly one of his greatest flaws and weaknesses. “I would be doing you a disservice to simply grant blind assurances so perhaps you can enlighten me as to what is happening. What precisely are you, or perhaps what have you done, Lord Suzumei? If I understand the situation clearly then I can give you a proper answer.”

Last edited by Zenji Hatayama on Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:38 am

“Rest assured dear Hatayama-san, your honesty is why we are friends” Watari said, slipping a small flask out of his pocket and pouring the whiskey into the sake cup. The good thing about having deep pockets was you always had something to drink amongst something to smoke. So as he took a long drag from his cigarette he watched the pious man across from him carefully.

“What am I? A Lord, well actually one of four” Watari pulled from another pocket a small scroll of paper and slid it across the table to Zenji, inside it detailed the establishment of the “four major noble powers” in the Soul Society. The Suzumei, the Akimoto, the Shimazu and finally the Baozhai. The four had decreed they were in alliance and because of the deaths of most of the nobility they were the only ones fit to make the decisions necessary to push noble society forward.

“What have I done? Well, I think it speaks for itself don’t you?” Watari said with a wink, no need to say what didn’t need to be said. Also Watari still wasn’t sure which side of the coin Zenji sat, so saying anything too incriminating might prove painful later on. No he’d play this as honestly and as slowly as he could manage but, he was pretty sure Zenji would understand.

“We’re moving towards a brighter Soul Society, one that isn’t under the yolk of corruption and laziness. So simply put, I would like you to join us. The support of the most religious minor house in Soul Society would make our dear people be more accepting of these radical changes” Yes, that was the real reason Watari was here, he was trying to be better! So instead of just removing everybody that got in the way, he was going to try to convince them. Zenji Hatayama was one of the minor families left with any actual political sway, gaining his voice and inviting him in on councils would probably quell a rebellion before it even began.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:40 am

“It is good to be friends.” Zenji acknowledged affably whilst sipping on his tea. He kept the hot, small cup of liquid cupped in his hands. This particular beverage was calming, pleasant on the tongue and most importantly a powerful anti-toxin. Zenji was naive but not stupid. It was the same tea his father always had served when meeting aristocratic guests. Just because the Hatayama were poor players at the game it didn’t mean they wouldn’t try to defend themselves from it.

Glancing down at the scroll the monk-like man put his cup aside and slowly spread it out before him. He ran his gaze over the names on the inside, he recognised most of the Families listed although one was only vaguely familiar and he couldn’t place any members of it. So this is what was happening. He had heard, of course, of the recent unrest in noble society but he had little idea just how far matters had gone. It was almost enough to make one want to run for the hills.

“Be calm.” Yes that was the image he had to project. The image his people had cultivated for generations. Stoicism in the face of upheaval. It would give him a sort of strength here, a false strength to be sure, but sometimes appearing powerful was more important. In this case he would be a paper tiger facing the storm that was the Suzemi and their new friends.

“I see. Fascinating.”

Carefully rolling the scrolls back up he left the document sitting between the two as he refilled his cup and once again held it before him, as if it could provide some form of protection from the depth of the intrigue occurring within his world that had been so stable for so long.

The last part almost made him laugh. His support? What could the Hatayama do to stop what was happening now? Use what influence remained to rally those who had been displaced or who felt disrespected by the sudden upheaval? Gathering the faithful and the scholars to do what? Pray? Write angry articles declaiming the new regime? To what end.

No. The Hatayama stood for the principles upon which the Soul Society was supposed to stand. For Zenji the most important of those was to protect the innocent. He would not allow pride or his distaste for political maneuvering cause any more trouble than had already occured. In truth he’d rather spend the next few weeks in quiet contemplation to arrive at a decision but it distinctly felt like that wasn’t going to be an option.

Bowing his head respectfully Zenji replied. “The Hatayama Clan would be honoured to stand with the Four Great Houses to support the benevolent reformation to help build a brighter future for all the peoples of the Soul Society.” Straightening up Zenji looked the other man in the eyes, he wasn’t sure he liked what he saw there but it was too late to go back now. “How may we serve?”

After all one who thought change could be achieved via underhanded methods or violence would ultimately become like the corrupt tyrants they sought to replace. Best that at least to continue to exist to try and relieve the suffering the future was likely to bring to the people.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:28 pm

“Nothing - well, keep doing what you are doing Hatayama-san the court appreciates the work your family does at retaining the noble knowledge of the Soul Society” at this Watari took another drag finishing his cigarette and ground it against the side of the sake cup before putting it in his pocket. It was a shame no ashtray was provided but he assumed that Zenji’s servants would just clean it up later. Anyway Watari preferred to keep this man in his good books, with knowledge came power and Watari was pretty sure that Zenji preferring him was in the long run a lesser of many evils.

“Now we have some pressing matters to attend to about said arrangement. You see our dear Shimazu Family has interest in all of the relics of Soul Society. Of course, I’m not letting him have any of yours as you are still one of our most respected allies” the Head of the Suzumei said with a nod. There was an untold language being spoken here, a simple threat, the Shimazu Family wants to pillage everything you hold dear. Business was business. Watari wasn’t a part of the game, he was far above it now but that didn’t mean he couldn’t still influence the board. These two houses would inevitably clash and the Suzumei Head wasn’t interested in infighting.

“Further, I have interest in certain Shinigami around the Soul Society, they will come to you in many ways, many shapes and be from different backgrounds. Assume if they know ‘of’ me, then they are already playing on the board. I trust that you will show them the same kindness you’ve shown me” Watari added another document to Zenji Hatayama’s pile, he had no doubt that the monk understood discretion and he would treat these people like he’d just met them for the first time as if he’d never even had this conversation.

All of this was just simply Suzumei kindness.

“Finally, my dear friend. What do you know of binding Kido to weaponry”
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Zenji flinched at the casual disrespect shown to the ceramic, this particular set had been crafted by a master artisan, who had a particularly pious soul, over 750 years ago. Zenji would have to see to their cleaning himself to make sure they were not damaged.

Taking his mind away from the wounded chawan tea bowl he gave Watari a cautious nod. “Of course we will continue to fulfil out duties.” he replied. Well that was a good start, Keep on keeping on was a pretty decent request to be given all things considered.

Of course there was more to come, wasn’t there always more, but Zenji kept his composure as he listened to the man speak. At the mention of sacred relics the monk-like man’s heart nearly stopped. In fact he was fairly certain he turned a few shades paler in that very moment. The Hatayama would never surrender any relics or lore belonging to their House. They’d rather see it destroyed and there were ancient safeguards in place just in case. Luckily for Zenji, who had been about a minute away from vomiting from sheer anxiety, it appeared that this was not the case. Well not the case so long as Zenji kept in line. Naive not stupid. Bowing his head slightly the lesser Lord spoke respectfully. “We are, of course, most appreciative and honoured by our continued Friendship with Suzumei”

It is good to be friends. He had said that already though hadn’t he?

Glancing at the document slid across the table to him, he glanced at it and moved both that piece as well as the earlier one to a corner of the table. A finger on one hand traced a symbol over the air above them as Zenji murmured, quiet enough that even his guest couldn’t hear him and with a fluttering of Spiritual Power the documents seemed to shimmer and then vanished. They hadn’t been teleported of course, Zenji wouldn’t dare do something so blatantly illegal, but they could be hidden from the senses. It was merely one of the many uncatalogued spells of the Mystic Arts that lay within the Family’s Archives and one of the lesser ones at that. The hiding of the documents was a simple safeguard against any onlookers but it also served as a reminder to his guest. Zenji was Watari’s lesser in social rank but that didn’t make him powerless.

“I shall ensure they are treated with the hospitality of the Hatayama.” he promised.

The last question caused Zenji’s eyebrows to raise, there was no hiding the shock at the sudden change in topic. From political intrigue to applications of the Demon Arts? His first instinct was to say no, to lie or at least not completely tell the truth, admitting this scrap of knowledge lay within the family’s libraries might be a single stone in the eventual path that revealed the totality of the Hatayama Clan’s Lore.

‘Except…’

Well except that playing games with Watari seemed about as far from unwise as one could get. Zenji wasn’t ready to challenge the other man’s authority in any way, not for something this minor.

Standing up the Soul Reaper crossed to a corner cupboard and knelt down, withdrawing a small box. Returning he placed the box on the table he withdrew a small sheet of paper, an inkwell and a brush. Pushing back his sleeves he carefully began drawing a small mystical circle in the centre of the page, as he did so he gave his explanation. “In the history of recorded Mystical Arts, both Demon Arts, and other forms there have been an abundant amount of what we call arrays.” he began pausing to look at Watari before continuing. Too late to stop now anyway. “These arrays can serve a number of purposes, for example.”

Having finished the small, yet deceptively complex symbol, he put his brush aside and pressed a finger on the ink which had already dried due to the properties of the paper. A small amount of Reiryoku flowed from the Kido Expert into the symbol giving it a faint glow.

“This is a very minor energy storage array.” he explained while holding out his palm to summon a small orb of concentrated energy. Far from any real spell it was more a tiny light source than anything else. He then lowered his hand and tipped the ball onto the page. For a moment it fluttered as if about to extinguish but instead floating over the paper slightly.

Over the next few seconds the drawn glyph lost it’s arcane glow and the orb extinguished soon after with all the stored power spent. “Some are more complex, some are far more efficient and some transform energy.” as he spoke he drew symbols around the basic array. Five in total: Earth, Fire, Water, Air and Void.

“Before we had Kido we had Mysticism and in those days it was believed that the powers we call Spells were simply the will of our soul given form. They believed all things where possible through these methods.” he added. A dangerous thought, heretical nearly.

Putting his pen aside once more he looked at Watari meeting the man’s eyes again. “With such methods as these arrays one should be able to imbue power, even transformation of Spiritual Energy, into an object. Even a Zanpakuto.”

He paused and frowned. “I must admit this is not my speciality, I have always focused on more… standardised Arcane Lore but the how exists...” he paused and then sighed, one tiny step more and he would be done. “Exists within this very Estate that is. However I must warn you that I have never heard of a successful Spiritual modification made to a Zanpakuto in this manner but then again I have not read all the records and theorem papers within my library.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:56 am

So the Hatayama weren’t as mysterious and pious as was let on, they were actually very educated. Well, it was ignorant of Watari to think otherwise about their education, the real part that surprised him was the depth of the knowledge, the sheer lore of the Demon Arts was astounding. He somehow doubted even the Gotei 6 had such detailed records as what Zenji was describing.

“Ah, I see my intent was misconveyed and I am at fault. I know dabbling in the soul and very essence of Zanpakuto is possible, my father himself spent far too many years -”
Watari took a sip of his whiskey as the thought of his father brought on his battle fervor. It probably wouldn’t be the best idea to grab Zenji by the throat, especially since the man was playing fair and Watari’s Suzumei Kindness always respected fairness.

“I’m not interested in deep modification of my Zanpakuto, I’m interested in enhancing it” with that Watari drew his blade and laid it flat across the table. As if to demonstrate what he was meaning to do he gathered the smoke that he’d practiced on the training ground with the mute onto his index finger and ran it along the length of the blade. The energy stuck but quickly dispersed after a time because it wasn’t properly temporarily bonded to the steel, in short Watari sought to make the smoke feed off the Zanpakuto’s spiritual powers essentially self-generating the soot.

“In small applications, I can make fire at the tips of my thumbs. I thought to myself, there’s been styles in the past of people who can literally throw punches of flame, or walls of water, so why not weapons of these elements?”
as if to demonstrate Watari snapped his fingers and a single flame sparked to life at the tip only to turn to smoke when the Shinigami attempted to glide it across the steel surface.

“I’m missing a step where the smoke feeds off the properties of the blade, literally setting itself on fire if you will.Then with that flaming Zanpakuto I will seek to train with it. I’ve hit my cap with Zanjutsu, I want to learn the way of the flaming blade, the way of the Dragon” Watari leant backwards after he finished his explanation and then contemplated what Zenji had said earlier. Well not immediately wanting to use an array for a permanent effect that would permanently alter the weapon, maybe he could generate a temporary array to lead to his desired effects.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 am

Zenji listened to the man’s explanation with a thoughtful frown. He supposed he had underestimated the man across from him as he mentioned his father had played with the matters of the soul and Zanpakuto. It wasn’t a comfortable thought, just because theoretically something was possible didn’t make it right. The idea of playing with the base nature of a Zanpakuto sat oddly with the Head of the Hatayama, how much further was it to modify the soul itself? Was such an act artificial evolution or heresy? The man gave an internal sigh, he hated meetings like this, they moved too quickly. Meditation and tranquil contemplation was the proper way to assess the situation. These face-to-face gatherings didn’t allow for such a path however.

As Watari continued Zenji felt a little relief as he mentioned mere enhancement rather than deep modification. He listened to the man and nodded in interest, becoming all the more intrigued at the visual demonstration given by Watari himself.

“You’re correct, an array would be a mere stopgap measure, not a true evolution of application such as you’re describing.” Zenji responded thoughtfully. Drawing out another piece of paper and drawing another array, this one with the symbol for fire at the center of the sigil. With a touch of his finger against the paper and feeding it his Spiritual Energy caused a small flame to leap to life on top of the symbol. The paper was consumed swiftly by the flame which Zenji watched with a contemplative expression.

“One moment.” he said, pushing himself to his feet and smoothing out his robes.

The Head of Clan Hatayama walked to the door and slid it open, standing in the entranceway as he spoke to whomever was at the other side. After a little over a minute he slid the door shut and returned to his guest. “Apologies.”

Pouring himself a fresh cup of tea he continued. “This is not an area I am well versed in, yet, however we have a few older scrolls around the basics of array construction and the transformative properties of Spiritual Energy. They don’t realistically take a lot of skill to apply just time to decipher the older terminologies and language used within the scrolls… ah” he cut off, nearly overflowing his cup, putting aside the pot he raised his tea bowl and blew on the surface trying to cool the hot liquid. “The documents also speak of using materials other than ink. Some say charcoal for fire and that sort of thing, others say blood to bind the array closer to the soul.” he took another break, clearly taking his time with the explanation as he sipped at his tea, it seemed that moving to an academic topic on the Mystical Arts was enough to momentarily put Zenji in his element. This was something he understood and it showed, his voice was calm, steady and self-assured. Amusingly the change wasn’t picked up on by the Hatayama Lord himself.

“Much of this older lore is a mixture of oral lore passed down from master to teach as well as superstition but within it you might find something useful.” Zenji said with a slight nod to himself. “I’ve asked one of our Monks to make copies of a few of the relevant scrolls which will be sent to your Estate tomorrow.” the man said with a slight bow of his head “A sign of our friendship.”

Hopefully the lore helped Watari and if it didn’t, well, the copies of a few old scrolls was only a few grains of sand in the vast desert that was the Clan Archives.

Last edited by Zenji Hatayama on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:41 am

Fantastic the Hatayama were already proving to be highly valuable allies. As soon as Watari had begun mentioning the necessary texts he required the Head of the Hatayama had vanished to tell one of his men to fetch the texts. Translating would take time but Watari felt he already had the baseline for it down. The mention of blood was interesting, maybe that was what he was missing? A pound of flesh, ah it could be arranged. He’d bled for Yuki, he could bleed for his desires of a burning blade.

“One good turn deserves another, my friend of the Hatayama, what can I do for you? A Suzumei Kindness?” It was an interesting term “Suzumei Kindness” . Watari used it alot and only a few people actually understood the impact of the phrase. In simple man’s terms it means “what would you pay for a life?” so to offer a Suzumei Kindness was to essentially offer somebody's death at a word, or something to the equivalent of. “Suzumei Mercy” is often associated with kindness, Suzumei mercy is “Death because you have nothing else left to give”

The Head of Suzumei was pretty much done here but he had a few loose ends to tie, might as well drop the offer and then leave, he was completely fine with that. Watari had established himself a powerful ally, gained access to the knowledge he needed. Now it was just about seeing if Zenji was interested in playing the game or if the Hatayama were content in their neutrality.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:01 am

Zenji bowed at the offer. “My Lord we are honoured enough merely to be considered friends of the Suzumei, this is kindness enough. All we ask for is the continued relationship of cooperation and guidance of our Suzumei friends.” he said in a reserved tone. He had not intended any favour in return for what he had offered Watari but, perhaps more importantly, he was almost too afraid to want to imagine the form a favour from a man like Watari might take.

Wasn’t there a saying about being wary of making deals with demons? He’d have to look it up in the library later.

Straightening up he looked at the man across from him. A person capable of terrifying cunning and violence it would seem but another saying came to mind, one he had heard much more recently. “Better the devil you know than the devil you don't”

Smiling politely he nodded. “Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, and I hope I am not being too rude, but I have some duties at the Shrine to take care of before the night ends.” It would be too late by this point to take part in any sort of service or sermon but he could assist the Shrine Maidens with the cleaning up of the area so that the Shrine was respectable for any arriving visitors in the morning.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:11 am

“None at all, I’ll take my leave then Hatayama-san, the Suzumei and the Noble Houses thank you for your service” Watari stood up and bowed to the monk. Better to obey customs then to disrespect him blatantly. The Shinigami picked up his Zanpakuto and resheathed it before bowing again and taking his leave.

The gears were already in motion, the list he’d given Zenji contained a few certain names that would soon become well known in the Soul Society. The first was a relatively common name in a certain circle, Watari himself was becoming intoxicated by it - Yuki Kameko, the second was a less known name. In fact Watari himself hadn’t even met the certain individual yet, but he had big plans for him - Sabitsura Rei. There were others on the list, less significant individuals but Watari was sure it was always useful to include more names.

As he exited the estates of the Hatayama, Watari drew his finger along the edge of Bezaliel and watched his blood gleam across the edge. Using the blood as a catalyst he gathered spiritual energy into smoke and watched in anticipation as the smoke began to glow ... and burn .. . and ignite. The edge glimmered for a moment, as if caught a flame and then it went out.

“Perfect”

The dragon was one step closer to his goals.

/EXIT
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:23 am

Zenji stood and bowed to Lord Suzumei as he left, a polite expression on his face which faded into a severe frown when the other man left. As the servant outside the hall slid the door closed after Watari’s exit. Kneeling once up at his previous position the man let out a relieved sigh, his shoulders slumping as he stared up at the roof.

“That was terrifying.” he muttered. Keeping his gaze turned up Zenji reached out towards the sky as if trying to grasp something just out of reach. “Is this part of the plan? Does this stay within the realm of the Balance? Will you grant us a sign, our King?.” he asked and, as always, the question went unanswered. Zenji hoped that if matters became too twisted, fell too far, that the Soul King would indeed intercede but he had no proof that such a thing would ever happen. Just blind hope or, well, faith.

Clicking his fingers the illusionary spell vanished and the documents came back into sight. Zenji stared at them and read through the last one which he had been provided. He ran his gaze down the names, most of them meaning little to him and sighed. He had no idea what this was all about. Was he going to be harbouring criminals? Well truth be told that mattered little. The Sanctuary of the Hatayama always lay open for any, and all, souls who sought it.

Putting the two documents on the table, in a small pile, again Zenji put his hands together over them, as if in prayer. Closing his eyes a silent litany was performed as his lips moved but no words came out. He slowly pulled his hands apart between which hung a series of intertwining spiritual strings twisted around in complex patterns. Slapping his hands together, collapsing the assembled power, the pages vanished in a flash of light. Unlike before this was no illusion and the documents would be transported straight to his private study in the secret section of the archives.

Teleportation. A spell far beyond his current level of skill and yet there it was. Why? Because of the lore of the Clan, efficient small scale versions of the infamous forbidden Kido to move objects through time and space. No less illegal for it’s lesser status. The Hatayama’s were moral but that didn’t mean they agreed with all the laws of the Central 46.

Standing up Zenji set off to do exactly as he had told his previous guest. Within a few minutes he was brushing up leaves from the Estate Shrine alongside a few Shrine Maidens and some of the younger Monks.

/THREAD END
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down