Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hell isn't Lonely (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

Hell isn't Lonely (Closed) Empty Hell isn't Lonely (Closed)

Post by Bill Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:37 am

Watari tried the worn-away handle of the door, ice cracking under foot as he put more force into the shove as it reluctantly groaned open. Web snapped and spiders skittered as the door now free from where it sat swung free on a single smacking lopsidedly against the wall as it swung with a hefty ka-chunk.

“Bakudo #23 Will of Wisps” He called as lights flickered into the air around his head and lazily floated their way down the corridor. Fractured chairs and soil artwork hung forgotten on walls, he was approximately five thousand miles below the Suzumei estate in what the servants called “The Fridge”, it was called the Fridge because the entrance had been painstakingly lined by Titus in the corpses of previous maids, manservants and guards who had crossed the will of the Suzumei - in truth it was where the old Suzumei history lay buried, where magic existed that was before Kido and other more inconsolable things lay.

Watari’s memory was fuzzy at best - truth be told, of his past a couple things he was truly certain - Watari had a father and he had a mother. His father was dead and his mother was missing, when he’d explained this to Yuki he had filled in the gaps, conflated certain details. Watari wasn’t absolutely sure how his father died, though he was pretty sure that he was the cause, as for his mother - he had inklings he knew who she was, where she went ? Well. He had theories on that as well.

Titus had once told him that the scale of which he acted often felt like centuries in advance. Watari however thought he was very good with acting with imperfect information, the foresight to line events up often six sequences ahead had proven very useful for dispatching Meili and Yuki. What a good girl Meili was, following Yuki, he was sure that piece could be moved into position when the time came, but best to tuck that in the back of his mind for now. Best to tuck it all into neat spots for a rainy day.

His footsteps squelched as mold and mildew had found a welcoming home in what was a wholly forgotten place, Watari was certain that the only person who had walked these halls in the last couple of centuries was easily Titus himself and even the old Butler had decided it best to make sure that nobody was ever interested.

A smile crossed his lips as for a moment he wondered if Reika had thought it odd he had told he would disappear down here - “yes, passed the dead bodies” he’d told her, to which she had learnt that the Suzumei estate was in fact in possession of a basement of frozen bodies that had been meticulously collected.

At last he came to a door slightly more gilded than the rest, Watari mused if he should consider asking his bride to be if she’d consider something so novelty. Walking passed the gilded flakes that were absently stirred by his presence the Shinigami came to a study. His hand collected dust as he ran fingers along dusty chairs and a large lonely desk.

This was where his father beat him, told him he wasn’t perfect. Told him that he was expendable because in time his experimentation would reach fruition. That all seemed like a fever dream now.

But he did not come here for his father.

Behind the desk a large painting stood, it depicted his lost mother, her long red hair, her striking blue eyes. It was an impressive painting. Watari to this day was still not sure why his father had commissioned a painting that was so large, it stretched from the floor to ceiling and captured every detail of his long missing mother.

It was one of the few things he had left.

That was why it needed to go.

With a gesture, the floating balls of lights eagerly licked at the parchment and paint, gobbling the damp colors and striking hues. The wood became tinder as flames removed any resemblance of anyone on the frame and he watched it burn the entire time, he let the acrid smell fill his nose and let the flames sting his eyes till they watered, until there was nothing.

And for a long time he sat there, on one of the rotten chairs and continued to stare where the painting had been.

And thought of Reika.

And thought of his mother.

Bill
Bill
Admin

https://bleachsakura.forumotion.com

Meili Yan Baozhai likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hell isn't Lonely (Closed) Empty Re: Hell isn't Lonely (Closed)

Post by Reika Suzumei Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:37 pm

Reika toiled away, cooking in the kitchen. The fire flared as the meat sizzled in the pan while the young woman poured the wet seasoning over it, turning the flame down low as she put the lid over the top. The woman hummed happily as she watched the meat and seasoning simmer softly beneath the glass down.

Despite Titus’ pleas to cook for both her and Watari, the young woman wanted to prepare a dish she reveled at while in the human world. A spicy dish known as tacos that she managed to snag from a random vendor on the streets. The dull life in the human world seemed to sharpen at her first bite. In an instant, she was addicted to the flavors, the heat, and all the combinations that could possibly be added to it.

Now Watari had stepped away to the daunting place he called “The Fridge”. Being his doting future wife, she wanted to surprise him with this delightful dish. He was surely going to fall head over heels for her cooking if she did this just right. Besides, seeing him smile, though rare, made her heart skip a beat - that was well worth all the effort.

Chop. Chop. Chop.

Reika had done it all. Cooked the meat to perfection. Chopped up tomatoes and lettuce. Shredded fresh cheese that Titus brought from the market and even had gone as far as to make fresh salsa for the tacos. With some help from the staff, Reika set the table with glee.

Time seemed to crawl by as she sat waiting at the table.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Watari had already been gone for over an hour and a half at this point, surely he’d return soon. The food steamed over the table as a maid poured Reika a glass of whiskey to enjoy while she waited. “Why not?”

One glass turned to three then four as Reika waited. Soon enough she found herself leaning into her right arm as the alcohol took its toll on the little light weights body. The world felt warm, fuzzy, and a bit blurring as she mulled over her freshly poured rock glass. The golden amber liquid seemed to shimmer in the lights of the parlor as she huffed.

“What’s taking so long?” The redhead puffed up her cheeks as she stared at the melting icing in her drink. Watari had been gone for over three hours! The food she strived to cook perfectly was cold at this point. The irritated young woman’s patience was growing short!

Watari was beyond late. While Reika understood that certain things were important, he had promised he would be back soon to enjoy a nice dinner prepared by here. This was beyond inconsiderate. She distinctly told him she’d have everything ready by the end of the hour, yet here she was alone.

“Titus!” Lady Suzumei bellowed as she sat back into her chair. In a blink of an eye, the head butler appeared by her side, right hand over heart as he gave Reika a small bow. “Take me to The Fridge.” Her voice was as cooled as ice.
~~~~~~

Crunch.

Reika’s footsteps sounded off the walls as she stomped over ice, barely noticing the bodies that lined the walls in her slightly drunken stupor as she carried a bottle of whiskey and two glasses past the macabre scene. “Fucking snow angels.” She was heard muttering as she passed through the door Watari had previously wrenched open and into moldy and mildew-covered walls of the hidden domain.

The smell of smoke seemed to linger in the air, pungent enough to cover the smell of death and disease that lingered in the halls. The redhead could easily tell where it was coming from even in her drunken stupor as she burst through a gilded door to find her husband sitting alone in his own silent thoughts.

She didn’t say hi, nor any greetings of the sort. No, she sat the two glasses down on the desk behind Watari and poured both of them drinks. Grabbing the glasses, she slinked into his lap, leaning against his chest as she reveled in his warmth. Doting on him with soft sounds of contentment, she held up the small glass with a soft smile.

“Drink?” Reika sipped from her own glass as she looked at the once prominent picture that now lay in charred ruins. “Bad memories, darling?” She questioned but didn’t pry. She knew that Watari’s past was a touchy subject and a place like this, even in her altered state of mind seemed to scream pain.

A soft kiss was placed upon his cheek before she nestled her head into the crook of his neck. “Don’t worry. I’m here now, love. I’m here.”
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Meili Yan Baozhai likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:08 pm

The rivulets of blood that streaked down his arms were the only cooling solace against the pain that lashed his back. He was eighteen. The lessons had increased. The soft voices and doting lessons had changed into exercises that strained the body rather than the mind. Watari needed to stand, he needed to move, he needed to do something. But he didn’t. This wasn’t the feared Captain of the back-alleys of the Rukongai. This was barely a man. Again the shadow paced in front of him, what was this again? Resilience testing? Fifty meters in front of him lay a blank asauchi, dimly he recalled he was meant to be reaching out to it, it grafting to his personality.

Watari hated it.

It was an abominable thing, the metal warped in fires that no Shinigami understood and the wood of the hilt dulled in heat that existed to harden so it wouldn’t shatter under a Hollow’s hand. He wasn’t even interested in being a Shinigami, there was an odd solace in reading a book that Watari himself didn’t get anywhere else.

The shadow prepared a needle, a dull thick acrid smelling liquid escaped whatever the vial was that the solution was being drawn from. Watari knew what was coming, the same thing as every other time. The dull feeling of it piercing his skin and then the next sensation came, burning through his veins, escaping through his wounds. Burning.

Burning.

Burning.

Warmth.

His glassy eyes snapped to the woman that coiled herself around his lap and snuggled herself up into his body. Watari’s wife had come to find him, how long had he been trapped in the past? Reliving those memories on loop over and over.

She was here and his lips were dry. A wry smile creeping across thin skin that threatened to crack, he took her advice and grabbed the glass she had offered, taking a long swig from the glass, letting a different warmth trickle down his throat and into his belly.

“Sorry, have I been gone for a while? I hope you didn’t wait for long my Storm” He whispered affectionately as he kissed her cheek and observed that the remains of the painting had long since cooled. A thin line of smoke being the only tell that anything had happened to the thing that had once held his mother’s likeness.

Had she been drinking prior? He smelt faintly on her the scent of liquor. He had been gone a while, gently he took her chin in his thumb and forefinger turning her face ever so slightly towards him as he looked at those blue eyes and the way her nose curved.

“I’ve told you many times, but you’re beautiful Reika, I’m glad I get these small moments with you” Watari let her go and enjoyed the warmth of her for a few moments longer, the simple things. The things he enjoyed. Reika, liquor and silence. No dithering fools, no conniving nobles and no pomp, it was quietly satisfying.

“Is that tacos?”
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:15 pm

Watari’s soft smile met hers as she let him take the glass from her hand. She followed his lead but took a longer swig from the glass, draining it completely of its contents. The faint light of the room shimmered across the glass as she looked at the small amount of amber liquid in it. Slowly she swirled it around as her husband asked his question.

Of course, he had been gone long! The food had long gone cold on the table before she had had enough to venture down here. Even in her state, she could feel the ire grow stronger within her until Watari called her his storm. The woman couldn’t help but feel her heart leap in her chest at his cute little nickname for her.

“Of course.” She managed to murmur as she tried to hide the hint of a smile that pulled at her lips. Which immediately failed when he planted a soft kiss on her cheek. Was it the alcohol or his kiss that caused the color to rise on her cheeks?

Try as she might to hide her feelings for him, Watari hit her with more and more compliments as she looked away feeling the embarrassment rise within her. How in the world did he know the right words to say to make her forget about him disappearing for hours on end?

Reika knew though that this area had a dark past to it. From the bodies, her altered mind called ‘snow angels’ to this very room. Even though she was safely in Watari’s grasp, she could feel the dark energy that lingered about the room like a forbidden memory that clung to memories of a forgotten grave.

“Hush you.” She managed to murmur, playfully swatting at his chest.

It was his comment about tacos that caused Reika to hop up from his lap, pulling away as if she were going to pour another drink. Slinking away as she turned from him, she sniffed her hair, attempting to see if the lingering smell of the spices had kissed her hair or clothes - unfortunately, they had.

“W-wait.” She looked at him and she narrowed her eyes. “You know about tacos!?” The woman sighed as she lowered her head in defeat, realizing he had been around much longer than she had. Of course, he knew about that dish. Even then, he was a noble. “I…” Feeling her cheeks blush as she admitted the truth. “I made some for us.” A soft sigh left her as she grabbed the bottle of whiskey and pour herself a drink. “I thought I’d be a good wife and make us dinner of something I loved… something I found in the human world.”

Reika moved before Watari, gesturing to his glass before filling it. “I thought you’d love it… and,” She looked away, feeling the embarrassment of a doting fool, “I wanted to be…” Her voice lowered to a murmur as she uttered the following words, “a good wife.”

Suddenly she placed the bottle of whiskey down on the desk, quickly turning away from her husband to hide her feelings - such a chicken as she was. “Uh, who was the painting of!?” Reika had to get the spotlight off her. She wasn’t used to such attention even though it felt amazing.

Through the charred picture frame, she noticed something odd. Was, was that a door? With a drink in hand, Reika approached what appeared to be a charred door, Taking a small swig of her glass, she grabbed the knob, twisting it open with a gentle push before she turned back to Watari with a shrug. “Uh… know anything about this? Or were you just lost in thought?”
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:52 pm

“You made tacos?” The Head responded baffled, perhaps the concept of engagement escaped his mind, perhaps there was still some lingering doubt in his head that this was a game of chess to the sixth degree and Reika had moments before happily laced the glass he used in poison. Perhaps many things really. Tacos as far as meals went, had not been top of mind, in fact when he said it it was merely the visage of a street in Spain, vibrant colors, fevered life and a patrol a lifetime away.

“You actually” Watari responded automatically, a bold-faced lie in truth and he had no doubt she’d see right through it. “I had it painted when I saw you under the tree that day. A musing for another time I thought and you know me, I always do things in no half measure” and then she commented about a door and once again that familiar quick wit boiled to the surface - but she wasn’t lying to him like he had.

Before when he’d looked so intently at the frame and watched it burn away until the image was stained into his retinas, his eyes had not been able to see what Reika clearly had. There was in fact a now ashy and burnished knob that was quite clearly placed at the height of a door.

He stood slowly, calmly, “a good wife Watari whispered his voice carrying across to where hinges slid smoothly and eagerly after half an age in quiet contemplation. “Tacos” another whisper he brushed passed his wife, his arm finding comfort around her waist as he peered into the looming darkness. A door. Forgotten. Hidden. In a place so clever that Watari would never find it, until . . . today.

“How does it feel?” Watari mimicked Reika, his hand reaching out, opening and closing the door. It was swinging on lightly oiled hinges again and again. “Well-behaved Shinigami, barely makes history” His voice echoing along smooth polished stone, bouncing until it vanished somewhere in the distance. A door hidden behind his own mother was no doubt his father’s machinations in place, but this painting had always existed, so therefore this door and whatever was beyond it had been around longer than he had ever been able to know.

“Not at all my Storm but you found it. Whatever it is, it seems my dear artist has left us a little secret” a snap of fingers and the wisps that still hung in the air on silent vigil. Moved outwards and beyond them, he pulled her closer as he ushered her further forward and into that void. Away from the known, into the unknown but at least he thought, they were together.

As they crossed that threshold and the door itself seemed to on queue swing shut, leaving them alone in the eerie light of the kido, Watari noticed that the polished stone wasn’t entirely just that, small lines of white criss crossed like a framework down the corridor.

“Do you feel that?” He took her hand with his and pushed their presences outward, but nothing came back. There was nothing else, no distance thrum of life and energy. His finger traced the white latticework admiring the level of detail that sent and greedily sucked at his spiritual pressure.

“It’s Sekkiseki, the corridor is completely laced with Sekkiseki, as far as anybody is concerned we’re completely alone, if we stayed down here, we would never be found

A smile crossed his lips as he looked at her.

“Anything you really want to ask me? In Hell, nobody can hear you scream”

-----

Above.

In the grand tearoom of the Suzumei. An old man placed a teacup onto a small plate letting it rattle gently.

“I know your name” He called into the empty room.

“I knew your name” His presence reached downwards, downward to where moments before his master and his young betrothed had vanished.

“I know who you are and it’s time you did too”

Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:44 pm

“I did.” Reika responded to Watari, quite proud of herself for the fact that she managed to do so. Though the ingredients were rather simple, using that rather fancy stovetop that the Suzumei had was quite the undertaking. Especially considering in the past all her family had was a simple fire and skillet to work with when it came to meat. Despite the undertaking and the careful guidance of Titus, Reika had managed to put together a rather lovely, yet simple meal for the pair to share together.

But that was the furthest thing from her mind as Watari lied to her about the ruined painting before her. She took him at face value - it’s what most people would do to the person they loved after all. Even then, to have a painting of such stature painted after meeting only to burn it a few years later left lasting questions on the young woman’s mind. “R-right.” she managed to say as she looked at the wall-sized frame, still questioning why he’d burn it even after all these years.

Yet he moved forward like he had seen a ghost from the past, calmly calling her a ‘good wife’, which cause goosebumps to stand on her skin as he passed her, his arm finding its way around her waist. His random uttering of ‘tacos’ seemed to be lost on deaf ears as he touched her, opening and closing the door that seemed to be invisible to eyes caught in the past.

“I, uh.” She managed to croak as he asked his questions that seemed to linger to time itself. As all things considered, Reika wasn’t even considered well-behaved. She had attacked another noble and turned her back on the Gotei for years as she pursued vengeance for the family she was a part of.

“Secret?” So she had found something not even revealed to the head of the Suzumeni. She didn’t know if she was to be proud or scared. The Suzumei seemed to have secrets within secrets. It seemed to go deeper than the Captain of the Gotei sometimes. Her heart faltered, not knowing what hell she might have unleashed upon the both of them.

Still, Reika steeled her heart, following her betrothed into the darkness that he lit up with his kido. Her heart beat louder than when Watari had purposed to her. She didn’t know what lie ahead when it came to the Suzumei, but with her husband by her side, she could easily brave the darkness before them.

As he asked his question, Reika felt the outside world lock itself out. All she could feel was Watari next to her. The world around them felt dark, claustrophobic as if everything was closing them around them in a tomb - to forever seal them away from the outside world. Reika could help but swallow hard as her skin felt numb even against Watari’s touch.

Before the redhead could even ask, Watari confirmed what she could ask. They were surrounded by Sekkiseki, a stone that could easily ensure that they’d never be found by anyone. It was harrowing as she paused when he asked his question.

“I know your name.” She said with courage.

"I knew your name then. I certainly know it now.”

Reika’s heartbeat in her chest hard, she could feel what felt like every blood vessel in her body beat as she locked her eyes with his. “Lies, falsities or not. Are you mine? Are you my husband? Do you love me through hell and high water? Will you support me through all that may come?”

She had had goosebumps in the past, but she had never had any that hurt against the ill air that surrounded them. “Even despite everything, if I were to ask Yuki to come back as a friend, to forgive all the grievances, would you give me your blessing? Even if the lies were true, would you support me as your wife and make everything right?”

Her eyes trembled as her body did, her hands wrapped around hers. She wanted Watari as her husband, she wanted her friend back. Reika wanted normalcy as it was before. But she had to know that her husband supported her. “I’m your wife…” Her words came softly as her heart pounded in her chest, “But, I know what I want. I need both you and my friend, no matter what grievances are between you. Please, Watari. You know I’d do anything for you… I want to know you’d do the same.”
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:46 pm

Silence. One by one the wisp began to flick out like lights in a quiet town, one by one moments passed as Reika’s question hung in the air. He stopped moving, he let the lights flicker quietly out. The soft rush of air as the wisps closest were called to a quiet grave.

“Well the only answer to that is a question my dear” a single lonely wisp hung by his face, dimly casting his expression in shadow. There was no tone in the words, no emotion. They did not tell a story of hate or anger towards Yuki, nor were they coated in the acrid pain of disappointment that would bite his wife so painfully. She was a soft thing but even soft things had a bite when hurt badly enough and it seemed ill-advised to cause her to rush deeper into the tunnel to be away from him.

“When she does come back, who would you rather walk away in the body bag?” He continued moving, the wisp idly illuminating the way in front of them, the pull of Sekkiseki from all sides growing as it feasted hungrily on energies that had not met its clawing tongue before. Those words, she knew his name? Watari. Bill. Captain. The latter reminded him that he still needed to formally confirm her appointment to lieutenant, nobody would question it mind you, it simply would be what it was. It was his will.

“Do I love you Reika? Does a flower need light to grow or water to drink? Does a street urchin need bread and a blanket? Of all the truths in the world, of demon arts and the balance we must maintain. Do not ever ask me that again” His grip still tight around her waist became tighter still. An iron vice that comforted and threatened to snap her into two like wood. But he couldn’t do that. He couldn’t now at least. She asked him to do the impossible, to mend a rift that went deeper than hatred - it was written into the Soul Society, a law more deep than man. Beasts and Men did not mix, Yuki was an abomination.

The lattice work seemed to be growing denser by the minute as their long shadows seemed to be sliced by reflective lightning breaking them into puzzles across the surface. The only presences that could be felt quite simply were him, Reika and . . . had she noticed? Maybe not. There was definitely a dull thrumming coming from somewhere as it flickered sporadically in the distance, another dull thrumming could also be felt, so miniscule, so tiny a flicker of life in an otherwise barren corridor.

Ba-dum.

“Again, who would you rather walk away in the body bag my Storm?”

He stopped and looked into her eyes.

Spoiler:

Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:35 pm

Silence seemed to cling to the air as if the Sekkiseki sucked the life from the very words she spoke. Wisps of light seemed to flick out like fading lights left abandoned as Reika was left with a single orb hovered near Watari’s face, casting his face in shadow.

His answer was left in the form of a question that left her heart hanging low. Once it fluttered in her chest, waiting on bated breath, now it hummed in a dull throb that left her gutted. Left her defeated as she cast her gaze to the darkness.

Even though they kept moving, Watari bathed her in sweet words of want - of love. Even still, his grip tightened around her wrist like a vice, not wanting to let her go despite everything she did, everything she tried. Despite her love for the man, she couldn’t help but feel her heart drop as he dashed away her hopes to return to normalcy; to have her friend back once again.

As the lattice work grew denser, Reika realized her fallacy, kicking herself in her mind's eye. Cursing her bravery and want of hope that the world could forgive - that her husband-to-be could forget. Alone in the darkness, with only a faint glimpse of light from the orb Watari controlled. Reika could feel glimpses of power from herself, her future husband, and the life within her throb against the emptiness surrounding them.

The young shinigami could feel the life within like a beacon against the night, shining bright against the darkness surrounding them. She had meant it to be a surprise, finding the right moment since they joined as one to tell Watari, but in the hollow darkness, he had sensed it, felt it. Shame seemed to wash over her as he proposed the question she wasn’t yet ready to answer - yet ready to tell.

Reika’s free hand instinctively went to her stomach as she looked down at it, following Watari’s steps as the sting of shame wrapped around her body. Watari damn well knew the answer. There was no retort.

Small tears washed down the redhead’s face as she gripped the cloth around her stomach. “Yuki.” Her voice broke, nearly trembling as she thought of the future before her. Raising a child in sweet bliss, without worry in the world. The sweet smile of the faceless child running through the gardens unaware of the dangers outside the walls of the Suzumei estate.

She stopped in her steps. She wanted to cry. She wanted to curl up in a ball and forget she even asked such a stupid question. All Reika wanted was a future for her child that she never had. A world without strife. A world without want - a world that Reika wasn’t currently living in. “I’m sorry.” She croaked, wiping the tears from her face as she followed Watari again. “I… I just want us to be happy….”

Try as she might to be strong, Reika still sniffled, fighting away the tears that beset her eyes. “I wanted… I wanted it to be a surprise for tonight. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner about our child.” It hurt. The picturesque family she had imagined was beginning to crack and break because of some damned picture, from some damned question.

Spoiler:
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:01 pm

“Do you think that I think so little of you that I would disregard your wishes?” Maybe the clawing voice in his head was right, that Reika truly did think he was a monster after all. Things didn’t quite add up however, she had willingly gone this far, willingly been wrapped up in the romance and succumbed to her desires. So why was she so upset? She secretly wanted Yuki to be the best friend a girl could ever have? That they could possibly enjoy a night drinking as friends and forget about the problems of the world. For a girl that grew up in the Rukongai and had spent most of her nights impoverished until Watari had intervened, she sure had her moments of utter foolishness.

“You speak like I’m going to leave you down here, that our family means nothing to me” He spat, did she want the monster? He would give her the monster. Little red could run through the forest all she wanted, but the Big Bad Wolf was always around the corner wearing the huntsman’s skin. Bezaliel slid from its scabbard this hiss of metal from leather as it bit into the uneasy air.

“There is no wonderland, Reika. There’s only you, me and the decision you have to make. Family isn’t a game. Family isn’t running away with a strange man into his big scary house and having his children and then running away from your obligations just so you can have a wild night on the town with your friends” His calloused hand left her wrist and took one of her tears on the tip of his fingers as they seemed to flow even more. Had she never confronted it? The truth of all things? She either bought it or she didn’t. She either got the House or the Pot and there were no cards left to pull.

“If you really think I’m the Big Bad Wolf and Yuki is waiting for you in the human world with open arms. Then you can leave that ring at the door, because like me apparently, what it represents means nothing” Reika was beautiful, like the first buds of spring and the burning heat of summer as it came in like a tidal wave. But he saw it now and it needed to change. Ultimately she was a scared little girl who thought she could play all the sides as much as she wanted. That if she just smiled and people-pleased that everything would be okay! Because this story definitely had a happy ending. Her and Yuki could have their friendship, she could have Watari, and Meili? Well Meili would probably be dead in a side street somewhere because unlike Yuki, Meili was to Reika - and Watari knew this - expendable.

The wisp flickered out.

Darkness.

Silence.

Emptiness.

He moved away from her.

“There’s nobody here but family Reika. But if you want Yuki to find out who is the father of your child and can bear her tearing it from your womb kicking and screaming while Meili pins you down before she slaughters both of you and them. So be it”

Footsteps echoed as he continued down the corridor away from her.

He could be happy. He could be kind. But there was no happiness here. Her grief was an agony only he held close.

“I love you Reika. I do. The man that dotes on you everyday truly does and you can have him if you really want it”

Echoing.

Fainter.
Ba-dum.

Ba-dum.
“Did I ever tell you what they called me in the Rukongai? My mother had just left you see and I’d just found Bezaliel”

Ba-dum.

Ba-dum.
“Greif, distress, anxiety, my father told me that there had been a long string of murders across the Rukongai, nobody could trace them, he told me, to my face, he knew you see”

Ba-dum.

Ba-dum.

Behind Reika a presence.

“Do you know what they called the murderer?” Whispered into her ear.

Spoiler:

Make your choice.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:07 pm

Whispers echoed in Reika’s mind as Watari spoke, like a muttered prayer pulling away at her ears as he asked his question. She wanted to say no, but the whispers claimed yes. Thoughts of the past years lingered in her mind. The fight with Yuki and Meili, how told her exactly what she wanted to hear until she spoke her mind. Unless it was what he wanted, she was chastised just like this.

Such a poor child.

Still, Reika remained silent. The man always had to have theatrics, and it was more than evident when he drew Bezaliel from his scabbard. Was this his threat? Did he intend to harm her because she did what he wanted her to do? He asked her if there was anything she really wanted to ask. Was this the price she had to pay? “Where’s the doting man I loved from a few minutes ago?” Her words were a whisper only she could hear.

Tears seemed to stop flowing from her eyes as she felt that familiar iron grasp around her wrist, causing her to gasp in surprise. Watari’s past seemed to haunt him in this place, seeping into him like an open wound. The poison seemed to be growing stronger as he dressed her down like a parent chastising a child. No wrong had been done by her.

“You!” Reika pulled away for a moment, finally having enough of his words. Then darkness.

Silence - despite its meaning was the loudest thing in the world. Reika could hear her heart beating in her chest, the very breath she took as the darkness around her seemed to loom like black walls, closing in faster and faster. Thump - her heart beat faster and faster as her mind raced. Was he going to kill her down here just for asking a silly question? Surely not. Not with his child within her.

Then soft footsteps seemed to echo off the walls - Watari was leaving. Relief was an understatement as it washed over her body, pushing away the anxiety that had panged her moments ago. Wanting to leave, the young shinigami was about to take a step back when Watari’s repugnant words came from the darkness ahead.

Yuki would never do such a thing! She… she wouldn’t.

Watari would.

Disgust, it tasted bitter, left a lasting aftertaste that nothing could possibly clean from the palate. Even with those soft words of love, he still heaped more venom into his sentence. Dangling love and affection before her, but only with conditions - there was no concede.

Where is the man I loved?

Dead by darkness - consumed by fear and hate.

The voice was growing louder, but it wasn’t Boreas. Was this madness? Was it something in these dark torturous grounds that was affecting her husband? It seemed so possible as she felt the world around her grow cold and still. Even as Watari walked further and further away, his voice echoing as he talked about the past, something pressed down upon her like a great pressure - the world seemed to collapse.

Watari’s dark whisper woke something deep within Reika as her right hand touched Boreas. Even in her stupor, she could feel the threat on his breath as he revealed dark crimes from long ago.

Bill. The Butcher of Rukongai.

Childhood is always filled with fairytales, rumors, and urban legends. The vague memories of stories told around the community fire to scare children into being good came to mind. Bill the butcher, a dark figure that would come and slay people or make bad children disappear was always told. But it was just a tall tale. It’s not real. There’s no way Watari was that Bill.

Yet Reika drew away from the voice, drawing Boreas, pointing him in the direction she came from. Was this a threat? Why was Watari doing this to her now? Shaking hands held the zanpakuto before her as Reika tried to feel where her husband - no - monster might be.

“Why are you doing this right now?” Reika’s head was on a pivot, trying to make out where Watari was. “One little question and suddenly you launch into a tirade like I’m some sort of child? We’re supposed to be in this together, yet you’re acting like this!”

Watari was like a monster in the dark, stalking his prey, watching, waiting for the right moment to strike. At least, that’s what it felt like. She didn’t understand his motives, why he would act in such a way. “Why do you hate Yuki?” The man never did say. Something had spurned the man in the past. The little wolf was always blunt and always spoke her mind - could that be the cause? Had she said or done something that Watari didn’t agree with?

“Are you really afraid of the Kameko so much that you lash out like some toddler throwing a tantrum? Are you afraid that I’ll believe her words and leave you alone?” Was that it? Was the truth what Watari really feared? Was it himself? He was like the end of winter, barren and cold with a hint of spring’s life in him. It was like he was afraid to let himself live again to feel scared of a new life that he could live.

Kill or be killed.

Reika couldn’t take it anymore. Holding up her left hand, three wisps of light came to her fingertips and shot out into the surrounding points, blinking her temporarily as they revealed what lies in the dark. “Yuki would never do what you’re doing to me right now. She’d never rip my child from me and I can tell you right now she’d never treat me like you are right now. I fucking love you, you moron!”
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:52 pm

“Doting?” It struck from the shadow, a question pressing against the air and cleaving through. It snapped back to her like a trap might snap around a rabbit. She would dare call him that? Treat him like some naive boy who did not understand the consequence of his own actions? She acted like that man was gone, that the man who loved her was buried under a brutish exterior and that he could flip it like a switch at will. No. Again. This was the same lesson over and over he needed to rant into her, that wasn’t how life worked. People weren’t just black and white at the push of a button.

“Doting” He roared at her, that pretty little neck, those sparkling blue eyes, that easily stained white skin. Yes true, Bezaliel would yell and howl and demand that her limbs were torn from her body and that her mind was flayed at the atrocities that would be done to her. But that wasn’t Watari. Watari did cruel things, but there was almost always a reason you see. While the rest of them willed away their time on this perpetuous coil, he planned for the freedom of the Soul Society - the liberation and finally after years he’d had it.

Then Reika came. She’d ruined it. She’d snuck into his mind with fleeting endeavors and wanton thoughts, worse than Yuki who operated under a scheme of love and affection and the world was roses and rainbows! Reika however, understood, but most of all she understood him. However, there was this perspective that she had. This childish methodology that everything would be okay. But it wasn’t okay.

Light.

It coiled around him and squeezed him from the safety of the shadows.

Watari stood there Bezaliel in hand, seething with the same blackness it had seethed years ago when he’d first spoken its name. When the corpses were piling higher and higher and the blood was pooling at his feet. But the man himself? He stood there gaunt and sallow. His shoulders slouched, his face empty and the streaks of tears running from his eyes.

“She thinks it’s because she rejected me” a whisper deafened by the light that his eyes now chose to slowly adjust to. When he’d seen her at that party, he knew then. Watari remembered scampering along the rooftops of the Rukongai. That was what he used to do at nights after the beatings, the feeling of being free. One night he’d seen her leave, he hadn’t been sure why so he had followed like always.

“They think it’s because it’s just another game” Watari had stumbled on tiles that slides and beams that were haphazardly held together with nails. The Head had clung like an urchin as he moved silently across the Rukongai tracking his quarry, so many questions. Why here? Why now? She never left.

And then he’d fallen and heard a howl.

“I don’t care what you believe. You’re mine and you deserve the truth Reika”

Rounding the corner, the full moon. She stood there with her Zanpakuto in hand and even that didn’t quite make sense - she was much too young now . . . but that visage. Those tails. Those ears. That sword. And his mother.

His mother.

“Love. What is love?”

Watari put a hand on Bezaliels blade.

“My mother told me she loved me you know, she used to be the only person who ever used that word to me”

His eyes fell on her.

“And then Yuki killed her”

Bezaliel had been strapped to his back because back then he’d been a nameless Asauchi.

Watari’s hand fell from the blade and he sheathed it back into his scabbard.

“Yuki would never do what you’re doing to me right now”
He mimicked back to her in a nasally voice that cut the air. What was love to somebody who couldn’t see the truth of the things in front of her? That Yuki would do what Yuki always did.

“Love?”
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:50 pm

Darkness led to shadows.

Shadows led to the truth.

Truth led to light.

The blinding light revealed Watari, gaunt and sallow. He looked broken and defeated - not the man that Reika had seen moments ago. Tears ran down his face as he fought some sort of inner demons. The darkness in his heart clouded his mind, causing him to lash out like some sort of mindless monster at those closest to him, driving them away.

Reika didn’t understand the ravings of a madman. She didn’t get what he meant about rejection or ‘another game’. She wasn’t privy to everything and she got that. Relationships took time for all shadows to be revealed to the light. And with Watari, those shadows were deep, hidden in the darkness. For him to finally break and speak was rare - he was at his lowest.

Then it came, even through the fear, Reika could see the gravity of the situation. Watari never ever spoke about his mother. What caused this? What had broken him down to even speak of her? Was it that painting? Was it of her? Question after question filled Reika’s mind until Watari said it

‘Yuki killed her’.

It caused the young woman to pause. Why would Yuki do that? Was this madness? Another lie wrapped in a lie? If so, Watari was the best actor of all time. His truth couldn’t be distinguished from a lie. Rieka knew Yuki. Knew she didn’t have a bad bone in her body. There was no chance in hell that this happened. Watari had to be mistaken! But those tears, they had to be real. Watari never cried.

Fear.

Fear turned to disbelief.

Disbelief turned to rage.

Reika gnashed her teeth together, grinding them in rage as Watari turned from a creature of darkness to a pathetic version of himself. He had toyed with her - made her think he was going to kill her. She didn’t care what he had to say. He had put both her and their child at risk!

Sheathing away Boreas, Reika gingerly walked toward Watari, arms opened wide as if she were going to embrace him; to soothe him from all that plagued his heart. Yet as she drew near, she struck him hard across the cheek with an open palm, her cerulean eyes staring down at him hard.

“Love is when someone is still with you despite your flaws. Love is someone who sees you as imperfectly perfect.” Reika’s soft hands cupped Watari’s cheeks, drawing his gaze to hers as she frowned down at him. “Love is helping each other through the good and the bad - comprising.”

Her right hand brushed the hair from his eyes as her left thumb stroked his cheek lovingly. “Love isn’t doing what you did. You threatened me and our child. If you didn’t realize that, you’re a bigger idiot than I thought.”

“Life is hard, I know that.” She sighed softly, looking at the big fool as her eyes softened. “I came from nothing and I’ll die with nothing. But it means nothing to me as long as I know that my husband and child are happy.” A soft kiss was placed on Watari’s forehead as she doted on him like a child.

“Watari, the Suzumei finally have an heir. Someone to carry on our name. You and I have a child. I will do anything to protect them.”

Then kill him. The voice rang across her mind as she doted on her broken husband.

“I’m sure Titus would do the same.” Those words came as a veiled threat to Watari, knowing full well that Titus would do anything to carry on the wishes of Watari’s father. “Besides, darling.” She chided softly. “Yuki’s younger than me. Are you sure you’ve not mistaken Yuki for her mother? Perhaps another shinigami afflicted with their curse?”

Surely he was. Yuki only attacked when provoked. Based on her own knowledge about her friend, she wouldn’t have done such a thing. She even forgave Reika for all that she had done. There’s no way in hell Yuki would’ve killed Watari’s mom without reason.
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum