Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defiant, to the Last (Zenji/closed)

2 posters

Go down

Defiant, to the Last (Zenji/closed) Empty Defiant, to the Last (Zenji/closed)

Post by Raphael Laurent Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:07 am

Where, exactly, had his life gone so wrong? Where had the wheels on the bus gone so round that the sons of bitches went flying off of the axel to leave the bus on a crazy uncontrollable crash course to the looney bin? Oh, right. It had been when Raph first met Watari. It seemed easy at first: Make sure certain shipments were at this warehouse every day at a certain time and don’t ask questions. That should’ve been Raphael’s first clue that something was up; he’d lived in Chicago long enough, after all, to know that when someone says “no questions” it’s not a good thing.

Still, he knew that if he didn’t learn to control this new power that he’d been…well, he hesitated to say blessed with, had been given, he’d do a lot of damage to a lot of things. That was not an ideal solution to Raphael and so he had taken the only other available course of action and decided to train this new power. Though he could still feel something so much more, he was hesitant to try and push for it. What if it was a point of no return? A point where, if he actually reached it, then there was never a way for him to go back to his normal life?

What if this IS my new normal, though…? What…if Vance and Watari are right?

Raphael shook his head. The same thought had been plaguing him for a while now and he had no idea how he could get rid of it. This wasn’t his new normal, couldn’t be how his life was now supposed to go. It made no sense. Here he was, a normal human, using mental powers to do things. He’d been honing it for a while now and had gotten to the point where he could successfully use the binding aspect to actually holding things in place, both on the ground and in midair, block things with a barrier that he made of mental energy and even fire blasts of kinetic force at things to break them. The rocks out where he was were looking pretty bad, so he’d started going to another deserted area to do so.

He didn’t always like it though. After all, he was doing his best to avoid Shinigami attention, but one could sneak up on him at any time and then what would he do? Try to play dumb and pretend that he didn’t have powers? No, that had as many chances of backfiring as it did actually succeeding. If he was lucky then Yuki hadn’t made a report but… He never did like trusting like. But he was proud of what progress he was making and then next time one of those creatures attacked him, he’d be ready to defend himself. He wouldn’t need to count on those pajama wearing sons of a bitch again…

Raphael Laurent

Back to top Go down

Defiant, to the Last (Zenji/closed) Empty Re: Defiant, to the Last (Zenji/closed)

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm

Zenji, the new Third Seat of the Third Division of the Gotei 6, a senior officer by all regards didn’t do simple patrols anymore. In fact outside of emergencies he’d no real reason to go to the Realm of the Living anymore. His duties were greater than that. So then, why was he here?

Well the answer was simple. Simple curiosity.

And possibly to find evidence or blackmail material should the need arise to use it. The Old Zenji would never have thought of that. He would have sat in his office, drinking tea, processing reports and not thought anything of what was going on. However the Chief Archivist was not that passive noble. So he’d used his connections to get a hold of, rather easily, some data around Watari’s use of the Senkaimon. Senkaimon usage was extremely heavily monitored which was exactly why Zenji had used the secret one built by his Clan to cross over. He suspected Watari might have access to one of his own whether or not it was his or one of the other new “Great” Families. Either way the official records cross-checked with some data on Suzumei Clan assets. That last one was a bit fucking wierd all things considered. Zenji didn’t even know that Soul Reapers had property in the Living World.

Why? What use was it? Why would Mortals need goods made of Reishi and why would the Soul Society need goods made from physical particles? Souvenirs aside that was.

So he’d come here to see if he could find anything useful.

Black Robed, staff in hand, Zenji strode through the industrial district with an eye out to look for anything unusual. If the Suzumei had property here then did that mean they had mortals working for them? That had to be against the rules. It sounded so absurd that maybe no one had thought to actually make a rule around it before.

Sighing, he shook his head. He didn’t actually have high hopes of finding anything here but it was worth a look. Raising his right hand he flexed it a few times and smiled. The healing had gone wonderfully in the end and, aside from some scarring around his wrist where the original cut had been made, it was practically as good as new. Besides he could hide the scar with his usual jade prayer beads. Or rather his new ones. The old ones had fallen off or been destroyed the night the two Quincy tried to kill him.

His expression darkened at the thought but he banished it. Hopefully he wouldn’t run into them tonight. All thoughts of anger and perhaps even vengeance aside, Watari had been right about not starting any wars just yet. The Soul Society wasn’t ready and the Quincy hadn’t gathered in great enough numbers to make a purge efficient.

Zenji just hoped the Balance could wait for it’s servants and protectors to prepare. If not, if things slipped too far, the realms would fall out of order. The ancient texts spoke of that world, the world before the Balance. That primordial world of death. Mortals being hunted in such numbers by the Hollow that they were constantly in fear, constantly in the run, never able to settle. Unable to properly defend themselves. The lucky few, the spiritualists with the strength to fight, ultimately consumed by the more terrifying breeds of Hollow who, in those days, were more common without the Shinigami there to defend themselves.

Lost in his thoughts he almost missed the flaring in Reiatsu. It was confusing. Less focused than a Shinigamis, less primal than a Hollows but brighter and easier to see than those of the few Spiritualists he had met so far. The latter however were ultimately the most varied however and so the hardest to determine. It wasn’t, thankfully, the ghostly whisper of death that sang out from the Quincy.

Stepping around the side of a warehouse Zenji saw what appeared to be a mortal man. Was he the Spiritualist or was he just in the area? Sensing energy was never that damned accurate sadly so he couldn’t just tell by looking at him.

There was another way however. “Good Evening.” he called out as he approached the man. “Is all well?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Defiant, to the Last (Zenji/closed) Empty Re: Defiant, to the Last (Zenji/closed)

Post by Raphael Laurent Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:24 am

He felt it, something tickling his senses, just at the fringe of where he could feel but the question was what was it? It wasn’t like him, nor was it the disgusting feeling of a hollow and their rage, or the oddity like Vance and that one girl… His eyes narrowed into slits, as he realized that it felt like Watari and Yuki. He grimaced, but made sure to stop his practice, for the moment; no telling what these psychos would do. One had saved him, and one had tried to burn his workers alive for the sake of awakening the powers that Raphael was now practicing with. Trusting them was like trusting a five year old with an assault rifle. Stupid, but he’d seen people do it before. The challenging thing had been keeping his composure and not allowing his energy to balloon outwards, especially when he saw the man.

“Great,” he muttered, turning to the Shinigami. He pointed his hand at another rock and let out a kinetic blast, much harder than he’d meant to, turning the rock into a pile of rubble. Without missing a beat he walked over to a steel beam he’d been using as a towel rack, pulled off a towel and started wiping his face. “Well as it can be, I guess.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone and a protein bar. He looked at the phone first, not too late, he had time to recuperate before he was missed, and then unwrapped the bar.

Finally, Raphael looked around. He’d caused more damage, destroyed rocks, shattered steel beams, than he’d meant to at first. “What do you want?” His question was direct and to the point before he took a bite out of his bar. “Here to try and save me from some hollows or something?” He chuckled dryly. “Not so sure I need your help for that one as much. Or…” He pointed the bar in the man’s direction. “Maybe you’re here to kill some more humans and force more of whatever’s in me awake?” Raphael smiled a bit. “I wouldn’t. Don’t have anyone else around here that I care about enough to do so.” This man was usual, far as Shinigami went, cept for the staff. “I thought you all had katanas. The fuck’s with that staff, man?”

Raphael Laurent

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:50 am

Raising an eyebrow at the man’s rather confrontational tone Zenji felt a mixture of amusement and confusion. “The Staff?” he asked, glancing at his Zanpakuto. “I suppose I’m just less of a warrior than the others.”

So the mortal had experience with Shinigami but what did his words mean? The Hollow part was common enough, most Spiritualists had probably come across Shinigami hunting the beasts after all mortals with high Spiritual Energy were just Hollow Bait and drew the corrupted souls to themselves like moths to a flame.

'But what did the other part mean?’ Killing humans? Forcing something inside of him awake? What the fuck was all that about. And, more importantly, did it have something to do with Watari?

Approaching the mortal Zenji cast his gaze around the area taking in the destruction, shattered rocks, damaged steel beams and general defacement of the surroundings. Had this been the mortal? Between Angeni and Anatoly it was clear the powers that Humans manifested were wide, varied and sometimes utterly horrific. So what was this young man’s ability?

Leaning on his staff he tilted his head.  “You have met Shinigami before then? I don’t suppose you could share something of those experiences with me?”

Waving a hand around the area he continued. “As for why I am here I’m sorry to say your presence was an unknown. I came here due to some reports about odd activities in this area, possibly unauthorised actions by others from my realm, so I came to investigate.” he explained. More or less true after all. No point lying to the mortal. Besides if his past experiences with the Gotei was a mixture of good and bad it did not harm to provide the courtesy of being relatively open towards the man.

He ran a hand through his hair and suddenly shook his head with an expression of annoyance. “I’m sorry, where are my manners? My name is Zenji Hatayama and, as you’ve already perceived, I’m a Shinigami from the Soul Society. Charmed to make your acquaintance.”

Stepped closer to the man again, showing neither caution nor aggression towards the Human, he let his gaze run over their surroundings again.  “Maybe I ask what brought you out here? It seems rather desolate an area to simply use for a relaxing spot of tranquility.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphael Laurent Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:35 pm

At the words that the Shinigami was less of a warrior than the others, Raphael scoffed. “There are all kinds of warriors. Just cuz you don’t have a sword doesn’t mean you’re not a warrior.” Raphael watched as the Shinigami approached and took another bite out of his protein bar; he wasn’t exactly certain why the man was here, but he didn’t like it. He hated it when Shinigami interceded in the living world. The irony of his disdain, though, wasn’t lost on him.

“Met your kind before?” Raphael asked, watching him. He reached into his backpack and pulled out a bottle of water, taking a few sips before capping it and nodding. “Yeah, quite a few times. Why do you wanna know, though?” Tilting his head, he sighed. “Which one? Do you wanna know about wolf girl or the pyro? And asking about the one that caused this…” He held up his hand as it glowed and pulsed with a purple energy. “Cuz realistically, both of ‘em caused it.” He chuckled a bit. “Doesn’t matter, really. Both of ‘em are partially to blame.”

“Why’re you sorry that you weren’t expecting me?” he asked, giving Zenji something of a blank stare. “Not like you really knew to be expecting someone to be practicing their…whatever, all the way out here. Unauthorized activity?” He stopped for a moment before taking another swig of water. “That’s weird. What kind of activity wouldn’t be authorized for Shinigami?” As the man introduced himself, Raph nodded. “Right, introductions. My bad. Name’s Raph. Won’t lie though, Zenji, perceiving something like that ain’t really hard. Pajamas kinda give it away.” He gestured to Zenji’s entire ensemble. “That and humans don’t exactly make stuff made of ghost particles, usually. So, ya know, another dead giveaway there.”

Raphael used the towel to wipe a bit more sweat off of his forehead, as Zenji got closer, asking why the human was all the way out here. Gesturing around them, Raphael seemed a bit puzzled. “Practicing. Look, we don’t have any super fancy spirit world training regimens here on Earth so I had to kinda try to hone this in the best way that I know how. Better than losing my cool and blowing something or someone up, ya know what I mean? I’d reeeally hate for you all to have to come down and send someone’s spirit to the after life cuz I turned them into a bloody paste against a wall.”

Raphael Laurent

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Chuckling softly Zenji turned his back on the man to look around at the damaged area with interest as he pondered what exactly caused it, as well as looking for anything else of interest. Investigation was why the Shinigami had come here after all. “That’s a fair point.”

However although he wasn’t physically looking at the mortal he was still listening to her. “Hmm… it seems like the people of this area are unusually aware of such things.” he said with a lack of surprise in his voice. Not too long ago he’d have been shocked but Karakura Town was an utter nightmare realm when it came to the Spiritual. Quincy destroying innocent souls, Mortals with freakish abilities, Hollow and thus Soul Reaper Patrols. “Pyro is a bit general, can’t say the term means anything to me.” he said however he assumed Wolf Girl meant Yuki. That girl seemed to be everywhere these days.

Glancing over his shoulder he saw the man’s hand pulse purple and could only frown. Not at the aura, the relatively weak Spiritual Power wasn’t what confused him but rather the suggestion that Shinigami caused it. How could that be the case.

Turning to face the man properly he bowed his head slightly as he introduced himself. The boy acted like a grumpy child but then maybe he was, it was hard to work out the age of mortals sometimes. Perhaps he was just a kid. “Charmed.” he responded. “Our actions are relatively monitored while on Earth. We’re mostly only sent here to help lost souls or to correct the path of corrupted ones.” he explained calmly.

Nodding and accepting Raph’s reason for being here he looked off to one side and frowned. “I wonder if you’d be willing to answer two further questions. Firstly can you describe this Pyro man’s appearance or provide his name if you engaged in conversation?”

Finding a large piece of rubble Zenji sat down on it, smoothing out his robes as he did so, before providing the mortal his full attention. “And what do you mean they are both to blame? I assume you mean these spiritual powers of yours but how did they cause this?”

Off the top of his head Zenhi was only aware that powerful Spiritual Beings could cause unexpected, and unwanted, ramifications upon the mortal realm. However, that took Captain or Lieutenant Class Reiatsu and Zenji was pretty sure those lazy bastards hadn’t come to Earth in decades, perhaps longer.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphael Laurent Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:02 pm

‘Unusually aware’. Such a term was pretty humorous, considering that a lot of stuff was going on nowadays, between hollows, quincy the Shinigami and who knew what else. Raphael listened as he munched on his protein bar. Raph shrugged as the man said that pyro meant little to him. It wasn’t surprising. He knew that it was Watari, but what would be the best way of accomplishing ratting someone out without outright outing them? In his head he had an idea of how to doing so without actually doing so and he couldn’t help but smile at himself.

“Nice to meet you too, and yes I’m well aware. I’ve been seeing Shinigami for…fourteenish years, I think? I’ve watched you all do your thing way back then as well.” He chuckled a bit and then took a drink of his water. “You want a protein bar? Don’t know if you all can eat human world food, or do eat normal world food but I’m takin’ a break and always hated eating alone.” He held it out to the Shinigami regardless of whether the man took it or not, before continuing to answer the shinigami’s questions.

“Yeah, he looked pretty darn normal, cept his hair. His hair was a bit unkempt. Looks like he either didn’t care enough to keep it up or worked really hard to keep it as messy as it looked, don’t really know which.” Raphael stopped for a second and scratched his chin. “As for his name…? Uhm…” Raph knew exactly what the man’s name was, Watari, but he wasn’t about to say it outright; that kinda shit would’ve been a little too suspicious. “His name was uh… Su… No. Uh… V…Vat…” Raph shook his head. “Shit, uh… It sounded something like water. I can’t remember exactly what it is. And, realistically, it wasn’t so much wolf girl’s fault, but I don’t like seeing people in danger and not doing anything to help them. Two hollows attacking her and I suddenly blasted my magic. Far as the pyro…” He watched the man for a few seconds and started laughing. “Are you sure that you want to hear about this story? You might not like it.”

Raphael Laurent

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:36 am

Zenji fingers tapped softly against his Zanpakuto as the Human spoke. He frowned thoughtfully but gave the man his full attention. An expression of surprise flickered across his face at the mention of how long the mortal had seen Shinigami for. Forteen years? But the man was barely more than a child, that must mean that he’d had a relatively high level of Spiritual Awareness from a young age. “Fourteen years huh? But you’ve only had your actual powers for a relatively shorter period of time?” he asked extrapolating that the powers had to be new from their earlier conversation.

Raising an eyebrow at the bar Zenji tilted his head and shrugged slightly reaching out for it. “We can eat mortal food, although we don’t need to, but I’ll take you up on the gracious offer. I’ve never eaten modern “bar” shaped food before.” he admitted taking the food bar and unwrapping it with obvious curiosity.

Glancing up at the description Zenji couldn’t help but openly flinch. “That sounds like a Shinigami I have heard rumours of being in the area. His name is Watari Suzumei.” Zenji told the mortal honestly with a look of concern on his face. “We aren’t really meant to be here you see unless on patrols or emergency teams sent out to deal with Hollow before they can wreak havoc.” he added unable to hide the concern, as well as an undercurrent of annoyance, in his voice.

What the Hell was Watari up to? Why the hell would a Shinigami be interacting with mortals and why was his Clan running a warehouse in the Living World. It made no sense.

Sighing, he shook his head. “The other sounds like a young Shinigami called Yuki, she’s rather… straightforward but a good soul.” he added distractedly. Yuki killing Hollow was hardly something that really concerned him, it was her job and she was of the Fifth afterall. She probably spent more time killing Hollow than she did sleeping.

Frowning slightly he nodded. “Please do. Unfortunately I need to learn what Watari was doing here and, frankly, I came here expecting it to be… unpleasant.” he added, for a moment the Shinigami looked exhausted as he considered everything Watari had done and all the threats he’d laid against him and his Clan but Zenji had to continue. If he could find even the slightest mistake regarding Watari’s actions in the Human World then he might be able to do something if the man got even further out of hand.

“Like what? Killing all the other nobles in the Seireitei? Whoops too late.” mocked Binbōgami.

‘He can do worse.’

Blinking and focusing on Raph he nodded. “Please continue.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphael Laurent Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:19 pm

“Fourteen years, yep,” Raphael replied nodding. “Tracked Shinigami positions and patrol routes in Chicago first then here. I think wolfgirl might have that one, though I’m not sure if I remembered to give it to her…” He tapped at his chin, while listening to the man. “Oh yeah, definitely. Powers have only been here for…maybe a month now? And I don’t really have anything beyond kinetic abilities. Unleashing a blast of kinetic force, making a shield, stopping things from falling and, or moving. All pretty damn recent. Old hat for you though, I bet.” Though he couldn’t help but smile when the man took the bar from him and began to eat. It was always better sharing things with people, especially when it came to food.

Within the recesses of his own mind, Raphael cursed the fact that he’d used something so close to Watari’s actual name. While it wouldn’t really matter, in the end, he wasn’t a big fan of just outing someone that had been so useful to him. He hadn’t really known Shinigami to ever be nearly as helpful as Watari had been and, ironically, their relationship had been somewhat symbiotic. Things like that were what made Raph always unsure about the Shinigami; half of the time, their motives made no goddamn sense which made them impossible to figure out, as an organization.

“I can sense that ya don’t like the guy,” Raph said, a bit of the bar in his mouth. “Not gonna lie, you Shinigami are impossible figure out, ya know that? If you were a nation on this planet? Well, you’d probably have a lotta enemies. You’d be like…well, ideologically different, but probably equally as disliked as Germany was during the second world war. Sometimes you all are all “the balance must be upheld” and other times your all “yeah, I can work with you humans for now”. Though I know that your all’s institution is really more like a lawful neutral kinda thing… Makes y’all predictable, if a little dangerous.” He smiled a bit.

But finally, Zenji said that he did indeed want to know the story. Raph nodded, albeit with a sigh. “Ok, so about a month or so ago, I was just kinda walkin’ around Karakura, doin’ some people watchin’, when this weird guy sits next to me. Didn’t really think anything of it since, hey free country and shit. Buuuuut he offers me a job of some kind and, with my job at the time not really having anything for me to do, I took him up on it. Didn’t realize that he was a spirit guy at first, till he pulled out this cigarette that turned into a butterfly and shit. So I spend the weeks putting a crew together and gathering up the shit that he wants me to get and we have people that walk outta this weird portal every so often to pick up the shipment. Then, one day, he shows up having apparently poured gasoline everywhere, and just sets the bitch on fire. I’m trying to help everyone put it out when he grabs me, takes me somewhere else and drops me on a rooftop. I just remember my headaches getting REALLY bad and then, alluva sudden, BAM, something snaps I rip the burning warehouse from its hinges and then…well, we’re caught up to the present.” He watched the man, curiously. “I was able to save most of them from completely dying in the fire, lost like…three. Good guys, they were…”

Raphael Laurent

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:11 pm

“Why?” Zenji asked with obvious confusion. “Why would you want to track our patrols?” The idea seemed ludicrous to the Shinigami. The thought that mortals could find their activities interesting in the slightest bewildered him. Simple patrols were just that, the duty of purifying lost and corrupted souls. There wasn’t much excitement in it as far as Zenji was concerned, it was simply their duty as dangerous as it was. The place he mentioned, Chicago, meant little to him. He was pretty sure it was part of another country but which one Zenji couldn’t recall off the top of his head. Human Geography was of little importance really.

Shaking his head slightly and moving on he nodded slightly. “Mortal Spiritualists seem to demonstrate a great variety of talents. The ability to produce a kinetic force with a thought is rather more normal than some of the things I’ve seen and read about.” he admitted. He certainly considered that Spirit Binder to be worse than a man who could throw around rocks with his mind. Anatoly would need looking into at some point but really it was quite low priority all things considered.

Chewing at the bar with caution he frowned slightly almost confused by the taste. This was rather different from the food he usually ate prepared by his Clan cooks or the snacks baked by his family’s personal baker.

“Don’t like him?” Zenji asked with a tone of surprise in his voice as he frowned slightly and considered the words. Did he hate Watari? No. He feared the man, not for his strength which was formidable but rather for his unpredictability and his cunning mind. His endless ambition. And his self-serving attitude. But hate? Rather the opposite. For all the man’s evils Zenji rather found he tended to enjoy his company for reasons beyond his own understanding. In fact he was rather worried about Watari, his mental state seemed to become more chaotic day by day from what Zenji had heard from his various sources. The fact that he sought material to use against Watari was done not from hate but from a need to be able to control the quite possibly half-mad man before he hurt the Soul Society… or himself.

“No… not quite. But he is dangerous and knowing what he has been up to may help negate some of that danger.” he added still being honest.

The mortal’s comments about the Gotei caused Zenji to raise his eyebrow. What an odd statement. It was almost like the man wanted to go out of his way to be confrontational. The Shinigami shrugged. “Mortal perception of our work is the least of our worries truth be told. We have rather a lot of responsibilities to be taking care of but the Balance that you mentioned is key. As for working with Humans, there’s no rule against it. In my experience it simply doesn’t come up for most of us. You’re only the Third Human Spiritualist I’ve ever spoken to I believe.” Discounting Quincy of course but Zenji was hardly a cruel enough individual to lump in the innocents of Humanity in with those abominations.

As Raph told his story Zenji’s expressions shifted from interested to confused to outright horrified. To any onlooker it would obviously look like he was disgusted and found Watari’s actions abhorrent towards the Humans. “He set a man on fire and stopped you from helping him.” he said in a tone of revulsion. The truth was however that Zenji wasn’t just horrified by the death, yes it was wrong and needless but mortals were short lived anyway. Eventually they passed on and could live again with all the joy, pain and dreams life brought with it.

No.

What Zenji was disgusted at was what Watari had done to Raphael. He had snapped the mortal’s Spirit. It was just one term for the archaic practice that Zenji had read about years ago, a very illegal practice. Using trauma to force a Spiritually aware mortal to fully awaken to their potential powers. It wasn’t just dangerous to the Human but it was unnatural. It also, from historic accounts, had a tendency to create rather unbalanced individuals even when they survived the event.

“Thats… I’m sorry.”

His hands tightening around the shaft of his Zanpakuto the man looked off to one side with a frown. Why? What was the benefit in awakening a mortal? Mortal Spiritualists weren’t common but they had no real value to the Soul Society nevermind a Nobleman with resources like Watari’s. Was it a simple insane whim? Did he just want to see the Chaos that an untrained Spiritualist could cause on Earth? Or was he planning something.

‘More unanswered questions.’

He was going to have to confront Watari, he couldn’t keep putting off facing the other nobleman.

“I’m sorry.” he repeated with a sigh. “Did he say why? Usually that man has a reason for his acts even if it’s only something that seems reasonable to him.”

Pausing Zenji frowned at the ruins around them. “Watari was storing something here before he burned the warehouse, and the people he had in his employ? Do you have any idea what it was?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphael Laurent Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:33 am

At the question, Raphael simply shrugged. Not exactly wanting to let out that he was the son of a quincy, especially since he didn’t know how this man would react to such news, Raphael gave the other reason he had. “I was bored and awake one night, so I snuck away from home with a notebook and recorded the usual patrol path. After that I just kinda followed them whenever I saw them. Most humans do things cuzza curiosity, dude. I’m not really that much different. Well, ya know, other than shooting kinetic force from my hands.” He deposited the wrapper from his bar into his bag.

“I’m glad that I’m not too strange, for a strange human, then and I only know about the people that can make blue bows.” He laughed a bit, thinking about how he’d just slightly outed the quincy, without completely outing them. “Doesn’t matter though, does it? Very few mortals are truly important upon the world stage. Not even the presidents and rulers. If they all died tomorrow, what would happen? The world would go on.” He laughed a little. “Sorry, sometimes I get a little distracted by my own thoughts.”

Negate suggested that you knew why they were doing it. Raphael watched Zenji, while taking a drink of his water. “Are you sure? Have you stopped to think about why he might be doing some of this? I’m no expert on the soul society, but if a society is stagnating then someone taking an action, any independent action at all, well, maybe it’s a good thing. Maybe what he’s doing will help you all.” Then he shrugged. “And maybe it won’t and he’ll condemn you all to the horrors of fighting that’s soon going to take place, I don’t know.” Yet his eyebrows raised at being called the third. “Only the third? That’s…a bit disappointing. I was hoping that we’d be a little more…widespread, I guess.”

“Oh, no. Not just a man. A whole warehouse.” Raph stretched a bit. “I don’t remember what it was, specifically, and most of it was destroyed when I…yeah, with the rest being taken into Japanese custody and/or interpol custody. He was destroying evidence, most likely. Just in case someone like you came a snoopin’ around. Or, more dangerously, because he wanted you to come looking into it. Wanted you to find out about some of his side projects. Force you to play his game of chess. I, myself, rather love chess, and so trying to figure out what he’s doing, trying to stay a step or three ahead of him? It’s…entertaining, in it’s own way.” He smiled a bit.

Raph frowned and shrugged, looking at the ruins around them. “Uh…if I remember right it was something like…etyoracain, I think. It’s made by a company in the states called Delcaid Pharmaceuticals so, ya know, good luck finding that one. Especially if it was made in a dose that could be lethal to spirit people, then odds are they’ve got something that could actually harm even you.”

Raphael Laurent

Zenji Hatayama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:24 pm

“Huh.” Zenji simply replied with a thoughtful expression. Doing things “just because” was a little alien to the nobleman. Of course it sounded like a pleasant way to live, to just seek out answers to your curiosities, but being an Aristrocrat as well as a Shinigami left little personal time for Zenji. He spent most of his time at the family Estate either studying, training or conducting rituals and sermons. He supposed having such a short lifespan meant one couldn’t just safely put things off forever. Perhaps Humans were more aware of their mortality than he’d suspected.

At the mention of blue bows Zenji flinched as if struck. “They’re called Quincy.” he stated as evenly as possible. No point showing his anger or launching into his usual rhetoric, the Human wouldn’t understand the complexity or severity of it. Instead he simply would warn the man for his own safety. “I would avoid them if I were you. They’re quite dangerous and have a history of getting themselves and those around them in a lot of trouble.” he explained. Soul King knew how many innocents got caught between them and their rabid hunting of Hollow as well as how many poor Humans they’d tried to use to shield themselves from the Justice of the Soul Society all those centuries ago.

“It’s fine. I understand. If it’s any comfort, life doesn’t have to end with death. One gets a chance to live again, have new dreams and make new memories.” he stated in a tone of assurance with a faint smile. “It’s something I think about during the unpleasant moments. Even if things end poorly for me at least next time I may have a more peaceful existence.”

His smile vanished as he grimaced again at the mention of Watari’s actions. “Yes that would rather be his style. He wants everyone to dance to his beat, I think he rather gets a thrill from it all.” he stated. Although that was the old Watari. The new one? He wasn’t so sure about that. New-Watari was slipping and badly, he needed to be caught before he completely toppled over the edge of sanity.

The name of the drug or the provider meant nothing to Zenji but he took out a small notepad from within his robe and scribbled down what Raph said with a sigh. “Thank you.” he said with a genuine tone of gratitude. “If I can ever repay you for this information just let me know.”

Putting the notepad away Zenji realised just why this warehouse had been in the World of the Living, or rather why it’s contents had been. This “etyoracain” was likely the poison that he’d used against the nobility. That was why he’d destroyed all the evidence, a vial of it on Clan property would be enough for Zenji to bring Watari before Central 46. It also made sense now why he wanted the judicial body destroyed as quickly as possible, they were just about the only ones that could hold a High Lord easily to account for his actions.

‘Well almost all the evidence.’ he corrected looking at Raph. Why leave him alive? Raph had information that could destroy Watari and his simple existence was proof Watari had broken another taboo. Either was enough to get the Nobleman executed. So why let him live? A whim? A mistake? Arrogance? It didn’t make sense to him.

Zenji nodded and stood, smoothing out his robes. ‘I must be going.’ he stated ‘But, again, I appreciate all the help you’ve provided.’ he thanked the man again bowing as he did so.

Turning he would open a Senkaimon back to the Soul Society and vanish through the portal unless stopped by the man.

//Exit Unless Stopped.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphael Laurent Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 pm

The man was quite composed, given everything Raphael had said. The fact of the matter was that he’d been expecting more of a reaction to something, especially when he’d mentioned the quincy, though he’d left out being the son of one. That was…a separate mess altogether. It was practically impossible to figure out why he’d not gained their abilities, but instead had gotten something else. The hollow was right. He was more of a monster than he wanted admit, but that had gotten easier, with time. Still, best not to volunteer information where it hadn’t been requested. Well, even if it had been requested he was going to out and say “I’m a quincy’s son”, though that might’ve been worth the look he was sure he’d received.

Yet he leaned back and took another drink. “I won’t lie, that doesn’t make me feel any better. The person isn’t you, it’s not a second life. You’re someone else. You die, you come back and you’ve got the same face, but different experiences, memories, dreams. What’s the point of that? Nihilism really starts to take effect, and make a lot more sense, when you begin to understand what’s on the other side. It makes you truly wonder what the point of all your hard work in school and at your job is. Make money, eat, sleep, shit, die, repeat. It’s been the same throughout history. I prefer the thought that maybe I’ll be more ambitious, once I’m dead. Hopefully I forget everything, lose what power I have, and can just fight and scrounge like a normal person.” He didn’t smile, expression never changed. “Peace is not the way of man.”

He watched Zenji for a moment, before finishing his water and staring off into space. “I don’t think that’s quite right, to be honest. I have a feeling that Watari has something else in mind, I just can’t fathom it, right now. Even if he wanted everyone to dance to his beat, why would he force a human to gain powers? What does he stand to gain from it, unless an ally?” He looked over. “I just don’t know how much you’ve thought this through, but since he’s your…friend, to a degree, I’ll let you take over that one. Just be careful.”

Yet there were questions that burned in his mind. So many questions that needed answering. But he would only bring a few to bear. “Hold on a sec, before ya leave…why do you all give a shit? You’re an extra-dimensional military unit that performs patrols and kills the things that eat humans. But what’s in this for you all? And, yeah, the balance and all that, blah blah blah, but c’mon, you don’t expect me to believe that you’re doing all of this just out of selflessness. What do you all get outta this arrangement? Altruism is an excuse, not a reason. You all are human as well. So, on a personal level, off the record, why do YOU do this?”

Raphael Laurent

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:32 am

Zenji paused and frowned at the man before shaking his head slightly in disbelief. “Perhaps reincarnation means nothing to you but I assure you that you’re in the minority there. Even I know many faiths of man believe desperately in the hope of reincarnation and have done so throughout history. The ability to try again, to love again, to dream again, to enjoy the pleasure of life and even experience the sorrow that comes with it is preferable to a void. You may believe that isn’t the same person but I can’t say I agree. The soul persists and I find that immutability of mankind’s nature to be a little awe inspiring.” he admitted. To Zenji Raph’s words weren’t just borderline heretical but they were also the height of foolishness, a voice of immaturity who’s short existence makes him believe he’s ready for something he couldn’t even begin to fathom. Yet his purpose here was not to lecture nor critisise so he let it go.

The “Peace is not the way of man” was… oh what did the youth call it, as yes, a rather “edgy” opinion. It was also stupidity of course. The opinion of a child who’s experience of life was incredibly limited and shortsighted. “I can’t say I agree. Mankind is one for warring of course, it always has done, but the greatest of mortals throughout the histories that I have read and personally witnessed were those who strove for beter. Those who worked towards peace for the betterment of all. Only a fool or madman wishes for conflict for the sake of conflict.”

Sighing Zenji looked upwards and wondered. Then he shrugged. “I have no idea why he forced you to awaken. I have no idea why he let you live despite what you know. He’s not entirely… consistent as of late.” he admitted. “He can be somewhat whimsical. If I were you I would simply steer well clear of anything to do with him. Perhaps avoid this place altogether as a precaution.” he offered as a warning. The mortal could take it or leave it, the Shinigami had far more dire things to be concerned with that one mortal life.

He turned to leave again but paused at the question. “We all have our reasons I suppose to undertake the rather dangerous job we do. We fight until we die more or less upon entering the Gotei’s service. As for why I do what I do? It’s quite simple. I believe if we didn’t a mechanism we call the Balance of Souls would collapse in on itself, it’s our job to regulate that cycle of reincarnation that you dislike so much.” he told the mortal with a tired smile. “You may not think it matters but the primordial world from before the Balance was implemented was one of horror. All the worlds, be it this one, mine or that of the Hollow where once one. If you think the Hollow incursions now are of significance then try to imagine the untold numbers of Humans who died day after day in a world filled to bursting with Hollow. Even those who died had no escape as their souls were eventually consumed. The Shinigami before they were Shinigami fought the beasts of course but we could only slow the tide. I will give my life to stop such chaos from befalling existence again.”

Zenji chuckled softly. “Why do we do this? Because we’re the only ones who really can.” he told the man. “Reincarnation, the cycle, may seem unpleasant to you but for me? For me I hope it’ll be a chance to live a peaceful life once my duty is done.” Because he would die eventually be it by Hollow, Quincy or some other threat. Zenji knew his service would only end with his death. He simply prayed his Soul would find a more gentle existence in the next turning of the Wheel.

Bowing his head Zenji thrust his staff forward and turned it, the traditional paper sliding doors of the Senkaimon appeared. The door slid open and the Hell Butterfly fluttered through, flying around Zenji’s head to lead him home. Soon he would have to face Watari again.

‘Service never ends.’

Stepping into the bright light of the portal the doors slid shut behind him as he stepped into the beautiful realm of the Soul Society and got back to work.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphael Laurent Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:33 pm

Raphael could find humor in every word Zenji said, whether the Shinigami knew it or not. There were several things that the Shinigami had over him but the one thing that benefitted Raphael was his shorter lifespan. The understanding that death would come sooner, rather than later, was a hell of a boon, in Raphael’s eyes. The Shinigami had a completely different perception of death, not that it was a state of being, but that it was a state of separate life. Raphael, with the fact that his life was so short, had long since understood that death was a state of being within life, rather than being. But these were personal thoughts, selfish ones. The man’s explanation, much as Raphael’s own inner monologue, were ways of justifying the ways that they felt and the reasons that they operated.

But his naïve thoughts on the matter of mankind’s most constant state is war, was…well honestly disappointing. Yes, people fought for peace because that was what was stagnant and felt the most comfortable, but Raphael knew otherwise. Wars were fought for peace because that was when the growth occurred from healing, but he wasn’t going to say anything to disrupt his Shinigami meal friend. After all, the man had agreed to sit and talk with him, he couldn’t exactly ask for much more.

“Watari is more scheming than you’re giving him credit for. He’s not some crazy animal, he’s thinking through what he’s doing, even if those plans amount to little more than because it’s something to do.” He watched the man carefully, studying his movements; they were a bit more dignified a bit…too cultured, Watari would be a difficult opponent. But he could also see a perceptive intellect within the man, despite how hidden it was.

Raphael watched him rather casually, as he explained his reasoning. “I think that you deeply believe what you preach about, though I will agree to disagree with you, on things like that.” It wasn’t to be rude, he simply didn’t believe in this system they called the balance. If the world was that incapable of taking care of itself with its natural capacities, then there was a problem and the world needed wiped away. That was something that he adored about the living world: even if humans had fucked it up as badly as they had, given time, the world could repair itself. The planet Earth could repair itself. But this spiritual world had no such check, no such balancing act that kept it on its axis; just the Shinigami. That was pathetic in and of itself.

Those with power are afraid to lose it. That was the phrase that came to Raphael’s mind as Zenji spoke. It wasn’t necessarily a flowed way of thinking, considering that the last so many thousands of years they’d gone mostly unopposed as far as power in the spirit world was concerned. But Raphael could feel that something was changing. Perhaps their leadership had grown weak, perhaps some of them were tired, or maybe their enemies and new challengers were growing stronger, but there was a storm coming. The quincy? Possibly, but they seemed less in a mood for war than they were just to rescue their kin. The hollow? Also a possibility, but considering their seeming lack of cohesive leadership there was no way. Normal spiritualist? No. That was definitely out of the question.

Yet, as Raphael watched the man walk back into his own dimension, he couldn’t help but feel that the Shinigami were underprepared for what was coming. Or perhaps they weren’t prepared for what was within their walls. But, it didn’t matter to him and wasn’t his problem. He simply waved, a neutral expression on his face, as the man vanished. After another few minutes, he would leave the area, deciding to practice somewhere else.

EXIT THREAD

Raphael Laurent

Zenji Hatayama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down