Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Difference of Centuries [Closed/Zenji]

2 posters

Go down

A Difference of Centuries [Closed/Zenji] Empty A Difference of Centuries [Closed/Zenji]

Post by Kokoroe Matsuri Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Kokoroe approached the Hatayama estate with a slow walk. The grand gate that marked the entrance was open, allowing visitors to their ancient garden as they had for centuries. Few visited the estate at this hour, when the sun had passed its apex and begun to seek its rest. The pressures of life would create excuses, and responsibilities would draw people back from indulging in their own passions. But for Kokoroe, responsibility and passion had happened to coalesce, as an unread tome rested in her satchel, and this was one of the best places to read.

The gatekeeper was one of the older monks today, clad in a worn cloak. “Hello Matsuri-san.” He said, a familiar smile spreading on his face. “Here to see the garden, or just to say hello?” Kokoroe returned the smile, gently raising her satchel. “I heard the gardenia have begun to bloom and wanted to pay them a little visit, plus I managed to get a new text from one of the teachers at the Academy.” The old man nodded. “They were a bit difficult this year. Is it another of those histories?” Kokoroe nodded in return. “It’s a historical record of the Rukonagi back in the war.”

The old man shook his head. “A terrible thing, that.” The Shinigami bobbed her head in agreement. “Do you mind if I head on in Rogai-san?” He nodded, then waved his hand towards the garden. “Do take care Matsuri-san. I hope that some day you’ll take on some lighter reading some day.” Kokoroe’s smile faded, then she shrugged. “Maybe someday.”

---

The garden was beautiful, as always. Numerous flowering plants were carefully cared for by a staff that was blessed to have the time to indulge in such foolishness as gardening. True to her promise, Kokoroe did stop by the gardenias, which had produced a wonderful assortment of white flowers. Taking a seat nearby, she pulled out an old tome from her satchel and began to read, sitting on a small bench sitting by the small white flowers.

Last edited by Kokoroe Matsuri on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kokoroe Matsuri
Kokoroe Matsuri

Zenji Hatayama likes this post

Back to top Go down

A Difference of Centuries [Closed/Zenji] Empty Re: A Difference of Centuries [Closed/Zenji]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:13 pm

The room was alight with Spiritual Pressure as the nobleman, with eyes closed, circled the complex arcane array drawn at the centre of the large private workshop. A long, slightly curved, decorative dagger with a wicked edge in one hand. He pressed the knife against his palm and with a swift movement Zenji flinched as he cut his hand. Clenching his fist tightly he let a few drops of crimson drop onto the complex mystical diagram beneath his feet.

Around the room were placed a number of hourglasses. One near the centre of the array, others placed at varying positions further from the middle and then some placed beyond the sigils themselves.

The array began to glow as the blood’s spiritual energy entered it. “My dreams become reality, my soul stretches across the realm, my will be manifest! I ascend to the Heavens and sit upon the Throne of Time!! I weave fate and hold back destiny!”

The orange spiritual aura of Zenji had become a roar flame which seared throughout the room. Zenji breathed in and out a few times, no point rushing things now, that was how experiments were ruined.

He reached out with his hands, spread wide and palms pointed downwards. “Kamitozetsu!” he commanded with a powerful presence, his tone like steel.

Orange Spiritual Pressure turned a glimmering gold and rained around the Soul Reaper. The array helped the casting, made it easier, and took the stress off the weak Shinigami’s soul.

Lowing his hands he looked down at the hourglass. It was frozen in place. His gaze wandered to the next one, then the next one and grinned as he saw all were frozen in place. Then he transferred his gaze to the hourglasses outside the array and his smile slipped. They too had frozen.

So it had worked but the array had failed to limit the reach of the forbidden spell.

‘Well time for experiment #2.’ he thought as he pulled a ball from his pocket, it was a small orange bouncy one which he’d bought at a toy store. Standing in the middle of the circle, unaffected by his own spell, Zenji threw the ball and…

It simply hung there in the air after he let go. Putting a finger on it he pushed it and it moved through the air but immediately stopped as soon as he stopped applying force.

‘Fascinat-.’ he cut off as suddenly he noticed the sand start falling again. The ball shot across the room and bounced off the far wall coming back towards Zenji’s face. The nobleman ducked with all the speed of a trained warrior. Smirked he failed to notice as it bounced off the rear wall and crashed into the back of his head.

“Ah! Damn it!” he cursed stumbling forward.

So the spell had only managed to last about a minute or two. Still better than he’d managed in the past. Once he’d perfected the casting, and grown stronger, he wouldn’t need the sigil anymore to support him. This was the most successful out of the past 37 experiments.

Some might wonder why not just use Jikanteishi, if one knew it, and Zenji did thanks to his Clan’s archives. However the point was to invent, to stretch one's own abilities and through invention to better understand the nature of the Demon Arts. Besides this was why so many unnumbered spells lay in the archives. Every Clan Head was responsible for introducing as much as possible, no matter if the outcome had been repeated a thousand times over in other spells. The main progress the Hatayama often tried to find was to make the spells more efficient than was standard.

Stretching he decided that was enough for today. Time was dangerous enough to mess with, there was a very good reason to forbid it after all, but playing with such fundamental elements of reality while tired was a recipe for disaster. One could upset entire Realms through ineptitude when wielding such power.

Glancing around the workshop he decided he’d tidy up later. No one else was allowed to enter the room and it was specifically designed to make Reishi particles impassable between inside and outside the room. The entire point was so that outsiders couldn’t sense what the Lord of the Clan was up to but also so that the experiments couldn’t harm outsiders.

Leaving the building Zenji headed straight outside, nodding to Clan monks and Shrine Maidens as he did so, all family one and all although most had been adopted. After a few steps he felt his head swim a little and realised the experimentation had taken more out of him than he’d expected. The gardens would be a good place for some peace and quiet as well as managing some fresh air.

Striding straight to the gardens, the larger public ones, Zenji smiled at the beautiful weather. It was a good day.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

A Difference of Centuries [Closed/Zenji] Empty Re: A Difference of Centuries [Closed/Zenji]

Post by Kokoroe Matsuri Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Kokoroe had closed her eyes for almost a minute now. The soft wind carried the smell of the gardenias to her, gently brushing her hair out of place as her mind dove into semi-imagined realities. In one, a flower had been placed into her hand, in another, a blade. In another, flames licked at her as she dove towards a river, and in yet another, she was peacefully at home. But only one of them was true, and it was a vision of Zenji Hatayama walking into the garden. But which vision was it?
Her eyes slowly opened to see him walking past, and a smile curled her lips. His walk was soft and unguarded. Of course, he had no need to guard himself. This was his place of power, a place of sanctuary. Truly, no one would attack him here. A laugh passed her lips as she laid the tome aside.

“Have you found what you are looking for, scholar-prince?”

Her voice was clear as she stood, watching the back of his head. He would turn and look at her, with no fear in his heart. Perhaps he would take offense to the term of ‘prince’? Did he have such an ego? Or was he the kind of person who… The thoughts were terminated, and she resumed her waiting.
Kokoroe Matsuri
Kokoroe Matsuri

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Zenji was moving at a leisurely pace as he entered the garden, it was strangely freeing not to be carrying his large Zanpakuto around with him, and he enjoyed the feel of the pleasant sunlight on his face. As he stepped onto the garden’s main path he noticed a girl sitting on one of the benches, looking quite relaxed, with a rather heavy tome in hand. Well Zenji understood that, sometimes his version of relaxing was to read a several hundred thousand word thesis on the nature of manipulating Reiryoku to obey one’s will.

He planned to pass her quietly, with an informal acknowledgement in the form of a silent nod, as was proper. After all this may be his Estate but the gardens wouldn't be very relaxing if he could walk up to every stranger and bother them while they tried to enjoy their free time alone. It went against the very nature of the place.

So it was when the girl spoke to him all of a sudden the nobleman did a double take. Her words also bounced around his mind for a moment before he really grasped what she had been saying.

‘Scholar-Prince?’ he thought to himself in bemusement, what an interesting title.

Turning his attention to the girl he bowed his head slightly as he ran his gaze across her. She was small, young looking, with red eyes and hair. She didn’t look familiar to him at all but her tone had been so familiar.

“Pardon me but have we met?” he asked politely.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokoroe Matsuri Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 pm

The bait was set out for Hatayama’s mind. It was a simple thing: to ask a question that was flavoured with just the right amount of intrigue to force attention. It was far easier when the balance of knowledge was in one’s favour, and Zenji had far too little information to work with. Thus: he had to turn towards her and fall back on familiar actions. A simple bow, a simple evaluation that gave him oh so little. In a way, it was the benefit to playing the pawn’s role.

“In a sense, I have met you.” She kept her voice level, keeping her gaze locked on his. His hair was muddled, as if he did not care for it enough, or perhaps he didn’t spend the effort to keep it in place. He was the very model of the traditional and graceful noble, one that was not so proud as to stand aloof from the lower class, but by his very garb reminding them of their difference. Kokoroe was not so. Her clothing instead marked her as ‘outsider’, as ‘foreigner’. Not that she minded the distinction.

She bowed deeply, almost perfectly ninety degrees before rising to her former position. “I am Kokoroe Matsuri. I’m honored that you deigned to speak with me, scholar-prince of the Hatayama.” Frustration blossomed in her mind. Her coat had slid slightly forward, and she shuffled her shoulders to try and adjust it, before finally giving up and pulling it back into place without looking away from Zenji. “I’m a student at the Academy, and I was curious to see how you were going to play into the upcoming conflicts.” Her smile was smaller now and she watched him with a practiced, seemingly unhurried ease. He still had learned little, just enough to expand on if he wished. Or was he going to dismiss her?

“I…” The word trailed off. No, he wouldn’t do that. She couldn’t afford for him to do that. “I’m a historian.” Her voice hurried on, tumbling over syllables. “and I thought it was a good idea to go and see someone who was going to be very important because…” A short breath, then a longer one. Control had been reestablished; language was restrained. “Apologies, Hatayama-sama.”
Kokoroe Matsuri
Kokoroe Matsuri

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:17 pm

To say he was confused would have been an understatement at least, he tilted his head slightly trying to work out the meaning behind the girl’s words. Scholar-Prince again? What did that mean? Very important? That was laughable. Did the girl’s words hide some special meaning.

“She’s fucking weird.” Binbōgami offered helpfully. Ever since he had discovered her true nature their connection seemed to be stronger, they spoke with one another more often and could do so even when his Zanpakuto wasn’t in his hand. In another reality that might have been a cause for joy but considering the Spirit’s rather vile nature he wasn’t sure how he felt about not getting away from it.

Frowning in confusion he could only repeat. “Pardon.”

Glancing around for a moment as if expecting someone to jump out and laugh about the practical joke they were playing on him. When that rather straightforward solution to this oddness didn't come to pass the nobleman refocused on the girl.

Smiling politely he nodded. “A pleasure to meet you miss Matsuri, it’s always a pleasure to meet a student of the Academy and history is a noble academic pursuit, not one often followed by our peers.” he responded in a kindly fashion. Zenji himself wasn’t a historian, such a title was too grand for him, but he was a natural scholar and something of a bookworm. A side effect of his Clan’s vast archives and his interest in a wide array of topics meant that he was well schooled on many common historical events as well as some less talked about subjects. “Is this your first time visiting the gardens?” he asked pleasantly.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokoroe Matsuri Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:26 am

He doesn’t understand. She brushed her hair back unconsciously. The sickening feeling had returned, even as his polite smile sought to ease the tension. Teeth clenched as her smile fell away, and her head inclined. Always a pleasure, he says. He was so pathetically obvious, or perhaps he just didn’t feel the same need, the same urgency. He didn’t see things as he should. Her head was forced up, and a practiced false smile re-emerged. “Yes, Hatayama-sama.” She said, a broken politeness entering her words. “It is always disappointing when people fail to learn the lessons of history.” Like you have. her mind said bitterly. Haven’t you seen the signs?

“It isn’t the first time I’ve visited the gardens.” The polite exchange wore on her. It told him information he didn’t need, things that were irrelevant to what was truly important. “I just came to see the gardenias today, meeting you was just a happiness of circumstance.” She paused for a moment, confusion mounting in her eyes. “A happy circumstance.”

Gods damnit this game was far too difficult. Or maybe she had overestimated her opponent, thinking them far more capable than they were? Was he more than a mere knight? Was he the king? The queen? Or perhaps he was just another pawn and she had stumbled into danger of her own making. “I… actually had made some interesting discoveries in my research. Do you have time to speak about them or are you too busy?” Bait him. Give him permission, a choice that he would accept.

He would accept, right? Or would he…
Kokoroe Matsuri
Kokoroe Matsuri

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:54 pm

There was something off about this entire interaction and it seemed to go beyond the girl’s odd, perhaps slightly mad, words. Zenji, the passive and polite Lord of the Hatayama, felt a flicker of annoyance. He doubted other Lords had to put up with this sort of nonsense.

Zenji frowned. Where the hell had those thoughts come from? Even allowing his thoughts to drift towards such rudeness was beneath him.

“Is it wrong though?”

Zenji dismissed that comment, she was quieter and more distant at this distance from the Staff which made ignoring her all the easier.

Clearing his throat the man instead made an effort to focus on the girl instead. He simply hoped the youth wasn’t intentionally equivocating as that would be a rather rude, and unwise, move for the student.

“Well I am glad to hear the gardens were satisfying enough to lead to repeat visits.” he responded neutrally, but politely. “I hope you continue to find solace, tranquility and whatever else they may provide.”

When she mentioned the research Zenji realised this wasn’t going to be a short conversation and instead surrendered himself to the fact that he would be spending some time with the odd girl. “Of course Miss Matsuri, follow me. We shall find somewhere comfortable to discuss this matter.”

Turning he walked on assuming she should follow although, in truth, not being too concerned whether she did or not. He had absolutely no idea what was going on but his civility wouldn’t allow him to dismiss Kokoroe out of hand.

Eventually they came upon one of the private meeting rooms for visitors to use, basically just tea rooms, and Zenji gestured for the girl to enter. He himself would wait a moment before entering to flag down a nearby gardener and ask for him to request some tea be delivered from the main kitchens for himself and his guest.

Joining the young soul inside he took a seat at the other side of the small chabudai, as was appropriate, and smiled. “So tell me about this research.” he requested.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokoroe Matsuri Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:08 pm

Yes, yes, what a wonderful garden. It was a nice garden, but that just… didn’t matter right now. Not while the histories told of what was to come. After all, if she was right, then this may have been the last time the gardenias would bloom.

“Thank you, Hatayama-sama.” She said, and her shoulders relaxed but for a moment. She retrieved the satchel and the text, slowly replacing them. She rummaged for a moment, checking to ensure that her notes were all in place before following Zenji. A small weight was lifted, but for a moment. He would listen. But would he hear? Or was he just going to bring her to a different doom?
She tried to take longer breaths, but Zenji’s brisk pace made it difficult for her to keep up. In her haste, she hadn’t properly secured the satchel, which now swung loosely on her right shoulder. “Damn stupid…” she murmured under her breath, pulling it over her head and onto her left shoulder, finally ensuring that it wouldn’t fall to the ground. Her eyes darted ahead, trying to make sure whether or not she had embarrassed herself, but he didn’t seem to show any signs of responding to her struggle.

Her mind raced as she entered the tea room, almost forgetting to pay any attention to her host as she reviewed what she had planned to say. It was just like the old speeches she had given, the old presentations. Except now, this actually matters. She breathed heavily, and then took a seat opposite Zenji at the chabudai. “First let me thank you for your time, Hatayama-sama. I’m sure you’re very busy and uh…” She shook her head. “Let me just start explaining.”

Kokoroe spread her hands onto the table, steadying herself for a moment. She wet her lips, then breathed one last time before beginning.

“I believe that we are on the verge of a Hollow resurgence.” The topic was set. “And I don’t know if we’re ready for it.” The problem. “And I think that you and your resources are going to be very important in ensuring that the Shinigami maintain their position.” A solution. The skeleton had been laid out. Now all that remained was to provide it with flesh.
Kokoroe Matsuri
Kokoroe Matsuri

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 pm

Zenji had sat formally, in seiza, across from the girl at the other side of the small table. He was watching her, the friendly smile earlier now replaced by a more serious expression. The nobleman couldn’t imagine the odd student actually having anything important to tell him but he wasn’t going to insult her by saying it. Easier to just go along with matters and see what she wanted to say. After all it was hardly the first time an overeager kid ran to him with important information.

As she began to speak the Lord give her his full attention, dark eyes calm, as he observed her. In many ways he looked less the Lord, or low ranking Shinigami and more the contemplative monk judging the worth of an offering brought before him.

The summary outcome of her research that she delivered was rather straightforward, much more so than he had expected considering her earlier odd method of speaking. However it’s validity was another matter. An entire Division of the Soul Society’s greatest minds, intelligence far beyond Zenji, was responsible for studying this sort of thing and were fully funded to produce insightful thoughts. So how could a young student with no resources have come to a conclusion that they hadn’t?

“Very well. Then let us begin discussing this belief which you have come to.” he began. “First what has led you to this outcome? By resurgence are you speaking in terms of numbers of potential rises of greater numbers of high class Menos?” Hollow always existed. They were part of the natural order, a corrupt part, but part of it nonetheless. The idea that a horde of beasts could pose any threat to the Soul Society was laughable except…

El Rey. What if there were many like him?

Before he could continue the door slid open and a maid entered with sencha tea for the pair, it was a simple beverage, but would be refreshing. The drinks were provided with a pot and two tea bowls, some from Zenji’s personal collection, although unlike most they were not the products of famous or significant artisans of the Soul Society. Rather these ceramics were products of a skilled craftsman of the muromachi period which had apparently caught the eye of Zenji’s ancestors enough for the man to go to the World of the Living to purchase a set.

Despite his social status Zenji preferred to look after his guests himself, and his maids knew it, so the servant withdrew silently as Zenji poured tea for the two. He was clearly in no rush to discuss the girl’s studies. Then again he rarely “rushed”, it was so improper. Filling Kokoroe’s chawan first he would then fill his after, as was proper.

Cupping the hot tea in his hand he let the pleasant warmth seep through the cup into his hand. Looking up at the woman he nodded. “Second...” he said continuing off from where he had left off without any hesitation now that matters were in order. “How could Hollow, no matter how strong, organise in a way to become a threat to the Soul Society itself? Such a thing has never been heard of since the founding of the modern order.”

He paused again to sip and his tea before continuing. “Thirdly why bring this to me? The Hatayama are not a wealthy or powerful Clan. I, meanwhile, am little more than a paperpusher of the First.” he said with a smile. It no longer hurt to say because he knew that things were beginning to change. He had found a reason to grow after all.

“Lastly, even with the last point considered, why bring this to me? There are Four newly risen Clans who rule over the rest of the nobility. There are also the Captains and their officers in the Divisions. Most accessible you have your instructors who are Shinigami themselves, and of higher standing than myself in the Gotei 6, so what can I do that these others can not?”

Cross analysis was important. He would ask these questions even if the points had come from the Captain of the Fourth. To not question her would be to show a dismissive attitude to information that Kokoroe herself clearly believed most significant.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokoroe Matsuri Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:16 pm

He took it seriously. He really cared about what she had to say. Her smile widened for a moment, before she focused back on Zenji’s rather intense stare. There was expectation there now, where there was nothing but a faint disinterest. After all this time luring him in, ensuring that he would listen… Would he really hear?

The first question was imprecise:  he had conflated numbers and power already. That was already going to be a terrible tangle to undo. The number fed the power, but it did not truly mean number in the same way one would…

The maid entered, and Kokoroe’s head snapped to look at her. Did she understand what she had interrupted, or was she even aware of what was to transpire here? Was she a mere pawn, or perhaps… Kokoroe’s eyes flitted back towards Zenji for a moment. Did the two of them care for each other in some way? Or was this simple professionalism on the part of the maid, doing as she was requested? He could be the lecherous sort, merely hiding it precisely. If that was the case… Kokoroe shook her head for a moment. “Thank you.” She offered to the maid, being sure to include her. Even pawns needed to be appreciated, as they could easily become something more. Besides, she smiled, sacrifices were always useful.

Kokoroe bowed her head towards Zenji, awkwardly shuffling as he poured the tea. “Thank you.” It took her a moment to half-reach towards the cup, before she quietly tucked her hand back towards her side. Another breath, then she met his gaze again. As the questions came, she settled more comfortably. This was her arena: her choice of talent. History would tell the tale, and the scholar-prince would learn of what was to come.

“To answer your first question, we have to clarify where Hollow arise.” The first source was drawn up, a classical pillar of knowledge. “Hollow arise from the corroded souls of humans who die and are not purified. Purification of the dead is our first and highest order, the slaying of Hollows is the second.” This much was clear and true. “However, the numbers of Shinigami have remained relatively stagnant through the centuries, and the number of truly powerful Shinigami are few. This then means that if a high-class Menos appears, it is far more difficult to remove from the board.” It was a bit of an overstatement to say this. Things had not yet tipped so far that this was completely true. But he has to see what is to come.

“But that is beside the simpler point that the number of humans increases each and every day. While their medicine and healing continues to try and stave off death, it comes to them to greater and greater numbers. This, correspondingly, increase the difficulty of purifying each soul that dies.” Kokoroe paused for a moment, moving her hands like a scale. “As the imbalance between purification and Hollowification tilts towards the latter, so to will the average power of Hollows that deployed Shinigami will have to face.” The right hand lowered, as the left hand rose. “Does that make sense?”
Kokoroe Matsuri
Kokoroe Matsuri

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 am

Sipping at his tea the man listened, and frowned, at her words. He found much of what she said confusing and was wondering if her projections had been made on a flawed foundation of misinformation. What was the academy teaching kids these days? Still he listened in silence to her concerns as was proper.

When she was finished he put his cup aside. “Before we continue I believe we need to first cover the cycle and maintenance of the Balance once more.” he stated severely. The Hatayamas were the Clan of Balance and much of their traditions and lore were based on those sacred principles passed down by the ancient monk order that served as their forefathers in a time before the Soul Soceity’s foundation. A more chaotic time. “The cycle of souls is not a continuous flow. By the divine hand of the Soul King we know the flow of souls into and out of Soul Society is kept stable and moderated by his influence. He makes the minor adjustments required to counter the changes of mortals be that their extended lifespans or sudden travesties such as those two wars they had a few years back.” he stated. Zenji could remember those days. What paperwork there had been needed due to the sudden rise in plus souls requiring Konso and the vast spreading of Hollow being formed across the planet. Busy days indeed.

“Of course whilst our ancient scriptures, and our observations, show that the flow seems to adjust for such matters it can not self-regulate to compensate for the rise of Hollow due to their nature leading for exponential imbalance whilst their numbers increase.” The Hollow threat was a relatively easy one to understand. One Hollow, consisting of hundreds of Souls, ate another equally potent Hollow causing a new Hollow to rise of thousands of Souls. Then that one either ate or got eaten and soon a beast of tens of thousands of Hollow now existed. No one Hollow was enough of a threat to the Balance to be of concern, not even the Vasto Lordes who were said to consist of millions of Souls, but if the population was allowed to run rampant then that was another matter. Of course it also meant that purifying one Menos Class Hollow could mean sending thousands of Souls back into the natural flow. Too many purifications were just as bad as too few. It was a difficult balancing act all things considered.

“Of course there have, historically, been threats worse than Hollow to the Balance.” he added off-handedly. Of course they weren’t so historic anymore. The Quincy threat was confirmed but it had to be kept secret for now. He certainly wasn’t stupid or careless enough to tell an Academy Student about it.

Picking up his tea bowl again the man cupped the warm ceramic in his hand enjoying the heat before continuing. “Your observations on our own population is most correct. Our numbers have changed little since the Golden Age of the Gotei 6 but the number of Shinigami capable of advanced techniques from Shikai to Banki, as well as mastery of the Demon Arts, has declined vastly according to past records.” Zenji might not consider himself much of a historian but he was a prolific reader of reports, including many centuries old reports, and he had casually read his own family's historical texts for centuries.

Sipping his tea he continued. “As for the threat of Menos you aren’t entirely incorrect but I believe context is needed. Menos rarely appear outside of Hueco Mundo and so we are rarely troubled by them. Even when Living Realm incursions occur it is usually of the lowest class, the Menos Grande, which as powerful they are manageable in team response units which are often spared.” Zenji considered himself one of those Soul Reapers and he believed that he knew a few others off the top of his head. “Although the greatest of the Menos are little more than historic tales and legends these days I would hate to think what would happen if a few Vasto Lordes managed to attack the Soul Society with our current battle strength.” he added casually. It was not a real worry however. As far as Zenji knew one hadn’t been encountered in centuries and even when they where they’d been alone. He supposed Apex Predators couldn’t bear the presence of one another enough to ally.

Despite Zenji’s comments he didn’t seem ready to dismiss the young student. Instead he nodded slightly and began to refill his bowl with hot tea. “Please continue.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokoroe Matsuri Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 pm

And there it is. Kokoroe thought. She wet her lips again, taking a long breath before reaching for the cup of tea. She watched the lecture, just as she had so many times before in the academy. When would they learn? she wondered, as he glossed over the atrocities that had occurred on the World of the Living. How could they truly measure the interference of the divine? Had they done the experiments on Hollowification necessary? Could they have really known the true cost of those deaths? How many of the Hollow had escaped into Hueco Mundo, or if they had really found success?

She nodded at the mention of the Hollow’s rising. It was clear that the worlds had been crafted in that way. Hollow amalgamations were readily recorded, with numerous examples of cannibalism. While no exact measurement had been made (a thing she did not blame on the Shinigami, of course) at least the evidence seemed to point towards Hollows accumulating souls in measures far too great to be counterbalanced by any natural forces. Hence the Shinigami and their task. Perhaps the Quincy would have been an interesting addition to this. If they had been allowed to run rampant perhaps…

Kokoroe smiled privately at the idea before returning her attention to Zenji, taking a short breath, and continuing. “Your assumption with the Menos is that it will continue to be so. While it has been that way for thousands of years, certain scholars have noted certain commonalities in the legends.” Kokoroe reached down, retrieving the text she had been reading from. Flipping it open, she rapidly turned the pages to about midway through. “In several legends, Hollows are noted to have abnormal intelligence, taking on the role of malevolent trickster deities in the eyes of humans. Occasionally this is coupled with an ability for speech, though most assume that these are embellishments on the part of the authors in order to communicate a moral lesson.” She briefly paused, thinking for a moment then began to recite. “The creature identified as ‘Yoshika’ is a humanoid creature. Identifiable by the paper-like strands that hang off it, the creature shows a frightening intelligence. It hunts using traps that are based off of the papers, sloughing off its own flesh into terrifying bombs. Survivors claim that each paper had their name written upon it, which either shows a comprehension of language, or that it is an incredibly potent ambush predator.” Kokoroe nodded. “That was from a censored action report approximately a millennia ago. I believe those two sources, taken together, show that Hollows may be able to have a command of language, which in turn implies the need for it. It is not inconceivable that a Hollow may be able to develop speech, as they are fundamentally composed of human souls.”

Kokoroe paused for a moment. “Therefore, assuming that they are capable of speech, it implies they are then capable of faculties that are far beyond the typical bestial intelligence that they are portrayed with in the academy. While I doubt that most Hollows are able to reach that state, if I’m correct, it means that they could conceivably organize and comprise a coordinated threat.”
Kokoroe Matsuri
Kokoroe Matsuri

Zenji Hatayama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Refilling his tea he let the young student continue explaining the beliefs she had formed from her studies. He found it amusing in one way that such a young, clearly inexperienced, Soul held such strong opinions on matters she had never experienced outside of the world of books. However he equally was pleased to find a student with such enthusiasm, the sheer amount of apathy that many young Shinigami held these days was disappointing so to see the opposite right before him gave Zenji a sense of hope for the future. Perhaps when the reforming of the Gotei finally came young Kokoroe would find herself as a rising star in the Third or Fourth where her scholarly passion would be appreciated.

Smiling politely he sipped at his drink before speaking. “To start with do not believe all that the instructors tell you, I have recently been made aware of the poor teaching standards that have overcome the once hallowed halls of the Shin'ō Academy.” he said with a slight shake of his head. “To begin with Hollow with intelligence have never been unheard of for even low-level patrols to come across. Whilst we know the first stage of Menos is more, or less, primal outside of abnormalities we’re aware the greater Menso always has at least Human level intellect. However there are plenty of reported incidents of Base Hollow showing surprising intelligence even if the beast minded out number them.”

Sipping at his tea he frowned faintly recalling a recent, intriguing, encounter of his own. “For one I came across such a creature not long ago. It had the form of a large feline beast but it spoke with more clarity than some of my colleagues. It showed no interest in combat but rather simply wanted to learn, perhaps due to it’s rather short lived existence as a fully self-conscious being. In fact it held no hatred even towards me despite knowing the Gotei hunt Hollow regularly.” he told her. “It even had a name. El Rey which I later found out means The King. Suitable considering it’s behaviour. I believe it was likely close to breaking the threshold needed to become Menos.” Shaking his head slightly he continued. “A few weeks previous I came across a much more hostile Hollow, although it lacked that level of speaking comprehension it was still fully capable of speech.”

Leaning forward he put his cup back onto the table before continuing.

“However effect does not imply a cause. The reason Hollow can speak could easily be laid at the feet of the Human Soul. At their core they are simply corrupted Pluses and Jibakurei. It should not surprise us that once they have evolved beyond base beings of primal emotion that they begin to reason or speak.” he stated with a slight shrug. “According to some rather ancient sources within my Clan Libraries there are references to a more primordial time when Hollow hunted more freely. As far back as those records go...”

Heretically far back.

“... even the earliest mention of Hollow seem to show them as mere hunters of Humans, living and dead.”

Folding his arms he continued. “The fact that they could organise has never been in doubt it’s just I believe the probability is so low that the current commanding figures within the Gotei don’t consider it worth worrying about and, for all their faults, for good reason. Our resources are stretched thin as it is, it would be the height of foolishness to deploy squads into Hueco Mundo to investigate.” he told her pragmatically. “But to continue that line of thought, if a powerful enough Menos could rise that had enough self-control and intellect not to immediately consume it’s lessers then through the threat of its presence it could force a level of cohesiveness amongst its kind despite it being against Hollow nature to work together.”

Tilting his head slightly Zenji stared at the woman. “So if we, momentarily, take such a threat as granted. Why come to an unranked Shinigami of the First about it?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum