Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Naked Truth [Closed/Zenji]

2 posters

Go down

The Naked Truth [Closed/Zenji] Empty The Naked Truth [Closed/Zenji]

Post by Nao Aoki Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:19 pm

Nao had wanted to fınd an excuse to talk to Zenji in private for quite some time since getting back from capturing the Quincy, but a full stack of inbound requests and reports, coupled with unease over telling him that one of his most hated enemies was currently locked away within striking distance had served as enough of a deterrent until now, though.

Had it not been for Yuki, she might have gone another week or so before practicality outweighed her nerves. One way or another, that bandaid was coming off today. Nao only hoped that it wouldn’t snag on any other bandaids and give them a stiff tug too. Murat’s incessant chirping inquisition over just what had happened after she tossed him to the side after her last time at the Hatayama estate had been irritating to say the least. The spirit seemed intimately familiar with the tumultuous feelings stirring up behind Nao’s anxious exterior, often enough that she regularly found herself daydreaming of a time when she couldn’t hear the blade, an act which only served to spur him to further chattering.

It was as such that, upon entering a more private meeting room Zenji had directed her to, she immediately set her tanto by the doorframe for some peace and quiet.

”Come on. Let me watch,” that voice pleaded as she set the blade in place snugly.

”No. You stay put,” she reprimanded back, a finger wag pointed at the weapon resting in its smaller sheath. She’d given up wielding the long katana-sized sheath recently. Enough people in First had learned of her weapon’s length and, if anyone was going to mock her over it, they were already doing so behind her back. It also helped that he could no longer get in her way, at least physically, by bumping into doors or making it uncomfortable to sit.

After a small bit of pacing as she awaited Zenji’s arrival, she finally found her way to a pile of cushions and pillows his servants had set to the side. It might be horrendously informal, but she felt she could finally be like that with him. Besides, it’s not like they were going to have any surprise guests this time around. A casual relaxing talk would be far better than trying to adhere to a strict meeting plan. They were peers, after all. Why shouldn’t they treat each other as such?
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

The Naked Truth [Closed/Zenji] Empty Re: The Naked Truth [Closed/Zenji]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The Staff tapped against the floor as Zenji strode down the hallway towards the room he’d asked Nao to wait for him in. He’d only been gone for fifteen minutes to take care of a few matters after Yuki left as well as to update certain members of his household who he’d included in his plans. Despite his relatively slow pace, the short distance he’d walked, Zenji was exhausted. Perhaps the recuperation from his wounds was taking a greater toll on his body than he’d thought.

His migraine was pulsing behind his temples as he approached the private meeting room. He’d had to escape his Aunt’s angry rants about the fact he’d left his bed at all despite her being fully aware about why he had been forced to.

He was tired. He was sore. He was angry. Today had been a completely fucking waste of time. Yuki had turned out to be an utter disappointment. Not only had she betrayed his trust and broken the faith he’d held towards her but she was a practical traitor. “Defending Mortals” What tripe. These young Shinigami were becoming more like short-lived, ignorant, emotion driven mortals every day. Their duty was to defend the Balance. They were a military. They obeyed their superiors or suffered the consequences of disobeying commands. Yet she’d wanted to talk to the Quincy despite the obvious dangers that would bring, not only for herself, but for all her colleagues. But she didn’t give a shit. She just wanted to talk… because? As if talking to the abominations would somehow undo their heretical powers.

The Quincy had to die. There was currently no other option and Zenji wasn’t going to risk the destruction of all of known existence. Besides the death that the Quincy would suffer at the hands of the Gotei was a temporary end to their petty short-lived existence. They’d just be reborn into a better life free of their corrupt blood.

Reaching his destination and stepping into the room he glanced at the side of the doorframe to see Murat leaning against the wall. Frowning with confusion why she’d put it there the man shrugged and stepped into the room before closing the door behind him.

Silently he entered the room and moved to stand across from Nao he slid slowly down his Zanpakuto until he dropped heavily to his knees so that he was momentarily in seiza. With a quiet groan of pain he reshifted into a more relaxed and informal sitting position.

Resting Binbōgami at his side Zenji let out a shuddering breath and rubbed his wary eyes. Looking exhausted as his shoulders lumped he forced a small smile onto his lips in nao’s direction. “First off I wanted to thank you for coming on short notice and helping me with my problem.” he said whilst bowing his head slightly in her direction.

Folding his arms Zenji’s smile twisted into a smirk. “So I believe that the part we left off was where you yell at me about not attacking Watari?”

Last edited by Zenji Hatayama on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:07 am

She watched him come in and eye up her blade, considering if she should explain herself but deciding not to as he sat down near her. It seemed as though he, like she had, had jumped straight to a formal posture. You can take the Shinigami out of First Division, but you can’t take the First Division out of the Shinigami.

”I never said you should have attacked him,” she said with a little smirk back of her own, ”Just that, if you were so content to use your Kido on Yuki, we might have been even better served keeping him out of it. The man embodies everything negative I’ve ever heard uttered about nobles in general. Not that I agree with those sentiments as apply to everyone from one of the families, obviously, but people like him give people like you a bad image to some.”

If Zenji had knocked Watari out and erased his memories of their meeting, she certainly wouldn’t be looking over her shoulder as often. She was used to feeling like a pawn, but it irritated her to no end to discover that she had been moving across the board facing the wrong side. Her supervisor had done something like that to her for decades and she’d seized the Third Seat in her anger over his actions. Watari was doing the same, only she wasn’t sure what the game they were even playing was.

”What’s done is done with Lord Suzumei, I suppose. I do have some news for you, as well, but I’d like to hear what happened with you and Yuki first. You mentioned the Quincy? Should we have some protection up for this?” she asked, propping herself up slightly in her little pillow pile to prepare to work a Bakudo if he felt that necessary and didn’t choose to do so himself.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Zenji chuckled softly as he rubbed his injured forearm with his still one remaining hand, it helped with the almost ever present ache thankfully. He sighed softly and shook his head looking frustrated whether from the pain, exhaustion or the earlier meeting. Perhaps all of the above.

“That’s a different point altogether.” he insisted. “We need Watari’s help. He’s Third Seat of the Soul Society’s Security and has his hands in most of the other Divisions that we’ve no people we can trust on holding any leadership positions with. The Quincy Threat is the greatest danger we have right now and if we’re to fulfil our only real duty as Shinigami then we need all the help we can get.”

Running a hand over his eyes the man gritted his teeth with annoyance before continuing. “Yuki on the other hand is an ignorant child. Blabbering on about how we need to protect mortals, protect Quincy, above the Balance.” he spat in poorly concealed anger. “A self-centered selfish fool who cares not for the danger she’s putting us all in and instead if continuing with her egotistical attempts to make friends with the Quincy.”

Letting out a shuddering breath Zenji looked away from Nao, his expression one of barely controlled fury, as he tried to regain control of himself.

“We don’t need her.”

‘I trusted her.’

“We’ll handle this. You just need to be stronger. We just need to be stronger.”

Nodding slightly to himself Zenji silently agreed and returned his focus to the woman. “I thought she was trustworthy but I was wrong. She’s impulsive and a danger to us all. It would have been wiser to deal with her there and then but unfortunately I just don’t have that sort of steel in me.”

“Yet.”

He ignored that. He didn’t want to think about it. Binbōgami had a point and that he was going to have to be stronger in the future, more resolute if he was going to defend everything he cared about.

“We’ll have to work around her and accelerate our plans. First of all, we can only hope your quick thinking will mean Yuki will take a few days for bedrest rather than running off to the Human World. Meanwhile I’ll start preparing for my challenge for the Third seat of the Third Division. You can try and make sure as many reports around the Quincy are funneled through your office as possible.”

Zenji paused and added. “If any reports you get sight of have descriptions, possible living places of Quincy then we can begin planning some strikes if we have to. If a war breaks out then we should make sure we cut down their manpower as swiftly as possible before too many souls are damaged.” he said before stopping and continuing reluctantly. “There are… countermeasures I can deploy if we can have someone in the Fourth survey the number of destroyed Souls in the Realm of the Living.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:13 pm

Nao couldn’t disagree more with his assessment of Watari. Yes, they needed someone in Sixth, but there was no guarantee someone like Watari would stay in Sixth Division. The man seemingly had no regard for the actual law from what he’d told her, aside from bending it to fit his whims. He was a murderer who had mysterious contacts in the world of the living and whose reaction to finding out the Quincy still existed was to use them to permanently destroy the souls of whoever he wanted to use as a fall guy for his own misdeeds.

What was done was done and it would be impossible to wipe Watari’s mind at this point without severe brain damage, but if he had acted as soon as that bastard had opened his mouth and suggested they do away of otherwise innocent Shinigami for his own betterment, then they’d be in a much better place. She’d never played the nobles’ game before, but she couldn’t help but feel Zenji was leaving some of his cards face up for the man.

She didn’t have the stomach to challenge him on her worries about Watari, though. The last thing she wanted to do was get argumentative with him when she was about to reveal her recent accomplishment. The man would be liable to charge off and do something about it himself if he was angry enough, and that was the last thing they needed. Instead, she merely nodded as he expressed his concerns about Yuki.

Yes, the cursed girl was probably a little too naïve if she thought the Quincy could be anything other than the enemies of the Shinigami, at least as long as they had their destructive powers. She couldn’t tell if the man was more upset about Yuki’s betrayal in disagreeing with him or if it was related to her heretical views.

Probably a combination of the two

She patted a pillow near her for him to come over as he got back to talking about the incoming reports. ”Zenji, there’s nothing wrong with showing compassion for a friend, saying nothing of how hard it would be to explain Yuki dying in your estate. You did the right thing with her, and I’m sure we’ll be able to make her see the light in time. Now come over here,” she instructed him in a serious tone, taking her hands and pressing them together in a prayer-like motion. ”Silence, black dog of Rondaniini, Listen to your words and slit your own throat! Bakudo #28, Oudanmari,” she intoned peacefully, her spiritual energy crackling to life briefly as a greenish-orange barrier sparkled and faded into nothingness around them, muffling their words from escaping.

She let him get situated before continuing, sighing once as she collected her thoughts. ”If, for your designs with Fourth Division, you plan to use your cousin Zâbel, you should know that she may be somewhat busy working an assignment at my request,” Nao explained, some meekness creeping into her voice as she finished. It was wrong of her to borrow her without talking to Zenji. Nao knew that, but she hadn’t the time to act and the man was just as liable to kill the Quincy as he was to push his cousin to torture the man, and they needed to understand them more than they needed to kill them.

”Perhaps it would be best if we had some drinks, Zenji,” she said, squeezing her hands together lightly and willing a part of the barrier to visibly rematerialize and swing open in order to allow him to call out to his house staff. ”My nerves are still a little on edge and I could use something to help dull them.”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Zenji forced himself to his feet, grimacing as he did so, leaning heavily on his Zanpakuto to get back to his feet before taking a seat next to Nao. He slipped sideways and bumped into Nao accidentally with an apologetic grimace. “Sorry.” he muttered. Zenji was not, nor had he ever been, overly comfortable touching others. In fact he could feel his shoulder and arm tingle slightly due to the close proximity of the woman. He really needed to get over this. Zenji blamed the fact that he’d hidden in a small office alone for a century as being at least partially to blame for his terrible social skill.

He stayed silent as she cast her spell, a rather familiar one, before it flooded through the room to bring on the mystical silence. His ears did that familiar unpleasant ringing that the spell’s complete lack of sound always caused. When Nao finally spoke again it was a damn relief.

“A friend? Is she? Watari is a better friend to me than Yuki has been and he might well poison me any day now.” Zenji grumbled unable to hide his bitterness and disappointment as well as an undercurrent of exhaustion which he was getting worse at hiding as time passed by.

When she brought up Zâbel the nobleman frowned with confusion. Whatever interest could Nao have in the Fourth Division? She’d never struck him as being particularly interested in the R&D work of the Gotei.

“I mean not particularly? I had planned to move her to the Third Division along with my other cousin Xio after I become Third Seat. Both have interests in Healing and helping the Rukongai, they’d make good Fourth and Fifth Seats. Plus it would be an easy way to shore up support for my eventual challenge for Lieutenant.” he paused. “Is your requirements Division specific or would it be better until after I transfer her?”

At her mention of drinks, along with her meekness and almost hesitant behaviour but he just shrugged slightly. Once the hole in the barrier was made Zenji snapped his fingers and with a spark of energy a sound akin to a bell being wrong echoed down the hallway. After a minute a young pretty blonde girl stuck her head through the doorway with a broad smile on her face.

“Lord Hatayama?” Akari asked with a bright smile.

“Some warmed sake please.”

Nodding and practically bouncing away the servant vanished down the hallway.

Turning back to Nao Zenji gave a tired smile. “So how is your new job treating you? We’ve had so little time to actually catch up.”

It wasn’t long until Akari, along with a few other servants, arrived with a number of trays. There were a few small sake jars resting in high-sided hot water to keep their temperature. The other trays had an assortment of snacks such as Dried Squid, Takowasa and Sashimi. Akari winked at Zenji looking proud of herself for having arrayed such a selection in a short period of time. She swiftly ushered the others out and with a cunning simple she bowed before closing the door behind her with a quick sing-songy "Have fuuunn~"

It took a minute for Zenji to realise that Akari had not only been winking about the food but she’d also cast a rather telling glance between the alcohol and Nao. It wasn’t as if Zenji privately entertained women every often… or ever really.

Ignoring his reddening cheeks Zenji leant forward and carefully with his one good hand he filled two sake cups before putting one in front of his friend.

“Help yourself.” he murmured.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:02 pm

She felt the same shiver as he bumped into her, though her heart started to lightly race at the unexpected touch. Thankfully, she was already slightly blushing from her nerves over having stolen away his cousin, so her reddening face had an easy alternative explanation she could trick herself into believing.

Nao couldn’t possibly believe that a misguided friend was somehow less of an ally than someone who was probably planning to poison Zenji, but she couldn’t bring herself to contradict him beyond a single sad shake of her head. She hoped he would learn before the poison or knife in the dark found their way into Zenji’s body, but if they did she’d be damn sure Watari paid the price.

At his questioning about his cousin’s involvement, Nao pointed at the open barrier to indicate that she wouldn’t talk about it while others could hear. The matters she was looking into for Nao were so confidential that Zenji was the first person to hear of it outside of his cousin and her. The Third Seat had even omitted the abduction from her report for fear of news spreading.

”My new position is going well,” she said, relieved that he had moved on to matters they could discuss while the barrier stayed partially open. ”I’ve been reviewing performance reports for the whole Division to identify others who were being treated as I was in addition to several policy reviews. I had been revising the policy on fraternization when you were injured and finished rewriting it for the Lieutenant to review yesterday. There were all kinds of contradictions in it, something I’ve been noticing with an alarming number of our old outdated forms and policies. It’s a lot of work, but I’m making steady progress.”

She spent some time going over the slew of other forms and policies she had run into that needed updating. She could make several changes herself, but the big ones required she submit them to the Lieutenant for approval. The list was long, though, and she soon found herself making some progress into it as a figure appeared in the doorway. Contentedly smiling back at the servants who brought their refreshments, Nao gave the woman in front a little bow of appreciation as she added some extra fluff to Zenji’s sitting area by rearranging some of the pillows as he got up.

She swung the barrier closed after the servants had left, helping Zenji with the trays to ease the burden on his injured hands. With a little excited hum, she examined the selection and quickly snagged up a fatty piece of tuna sashimi, popping it in her mouth and melting back into her pillows as the soft fish practically dissolved in her mouth.

”So good,” she muttered out after swallowing, a look of contentment on her face. Taking the sake cup, she clinked it against Zenji’s cup and drank a sizable portion, actually taking the time to savor the taste instead of just downing it for liquid courage. She needed the assistance the liquor could provide, but the sashimi paired so well with the beverage that she couldn’t pass up the chance to enjoy it properly.

”So, Zenji,” she said, sighing briefly as she returned the cup to the tray between them, ”where to begin?” Zâbel’s research project was of supreme importance, though she didn’t see why it couldn’t transfer over to Third Division if the woman was going there. Her only worry was that Zenji would spoil the opportunity in his zeal to exterminate the Quincy as quickly as possible.

”I suppose the beginning would be best,” she reasoned out after a brief pause, ”After you came back with your injury, I went back to the world of the living to find out if I could have any luck. It took some time, but I was able to track down a Quincy of my own. The man was just as you’d reported. He obliterated a Hollow in front of my very eyes and was set to casually stroll off as if nothing had happened.”

She held for a moment, looking him in the eyes before continuing. ”I cornered the man after he attempted to call out to his clan for backup using some kind of human Denreishinki. He fought back and attempted to kill himself and me in a large explosion rather than be taken alive, but-” she hesitated, fearing his reaction. Eyeing the cup, she knocked back the remainder of the drink, savoring the burn and the initial creeping lowering of her inhibitions.

After pouring another glass, she sighed and resumed, ”I was able to protect myself and stabilize him. I snuck him back in to the Seireitei as a captive. That’s what your cousin Zâbel is working on for me. I filled out some paperwork for her to submit which should allow her to, at least for the time being, take the Sixth Seat in Fourth to allow her some independence in her research. The Quincy is currently locked away safely in a secure location while she researches the nature of his powers.”

Nao braced herself for the oncoming storm, locking her eyes. She didn’t think he would do anything to hurt her, but she wouldn’t have thought him capable of hurting Yuki either, and he had just confessed to wishing he had the strength to outright kill her.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:45 pm

“I’m sure the Lieutenant will be quite receptive to your suggestions.” he replied blandly and he even managed to keep his expression straight as he said it. Damn he was getting good at this lying thing!

Zenji chuckled softly as the barrier closed and slowly moved his pained limb. “Well one good thing came of nearly getting killed. I don’t have to do report filing until I’m healed up, hopefully I won’t have to look inside that damnable office ever again.” he added with a shake of his head before pausing and adding thoughtfully. “Except to retrieve my tea set. It’s a rather aesthetically pleasing one if I do say so myself.”

Seeing Nao’s expression shift to one far more serious caused Zenji to frown slightly, throwing back the drink, and putting his cup upon the tray as he turned slightly to face his companion full on. His knees nearly touched her leg at the turn, so close where the pair, and he stared straight at her face. Whatever she was going to say was serious and so he was going to give her all due attention.

When she mentioned where she was going to start Zenji nodded and rested his hands… hand… on his leg. “At the start sounds good.” he said with a soft reassuring smile seeing how concerned she appeared.

When she mentioned the Quincy the sharp inhalation of Zenji’s breath broke through the air and his hand reached out to touch her forearm. “Did he hurt you?” he asked her in a tone mixed with anger and concern, sure she looked alright but his friend was the greatest healer he’d ever met. Just because she’d fixed the damage didn’t mean it hadn’t been drastic at the time or that she didn’t suffer internal scars from it still.

However as her story continued his expression changed first from worry to confusion then to anger. “You stalked one of them? What were you thinking? Then you cornered it? What if you’d been killed?” he snapped angrily, his fury and rage at the abominable race forgotten for a moment as his anger was redirected at his friends foolishness instead. “You saw what they did to me even with my skill in the Demon Arts. What if this one had been stronger? You’d be gone from the cycle. Completely! Don’t you realise the sort of disaster that would?”

‘Especially you.’

The thought was a quiet one. Echoing in the back of his mind. Zenji’s anger calmed in surprise. Why had he thought that?

Shaking his head slightly he sighed and took in the rest of her words, running a hand across his face, at any other time he’d likely have flew into a rage but instead he just looked tired. The emotion outburst having drained him in his already weakened state. In fact he had to put a hand on the ground as he began to tilt to one side just to steady himself, feeling strangely breathless for a moment and shaking his head again he focused on the importance of Nao’s words.

“So you brought the abomination to The Soul Society, a place made of the energy they wield. More than that you’ve dragged my cousin into it as well as throwing aside an ancient tradition, practically a rule, to quickstep her up the ranks beyond what she’s earned so she can work on this heretical project?” he asked in a voice that was far more even than he would have thought himself capable of.

‘I really am tired.’

“Anything else?” he asked weakly. “Is Xio going to be sent out on subject retrieval missions next?” Despite the faintness of his voice the bitter undercurrent was still present. Even Zenji wasn’t sure why he felt so hurt by it all. Because Nao had endangered herself? Because she’d brought a Quincy to this sacred land? Because she’d dragged his cousin into it all without permission. Because she’d only antagonised the group they sought to avoid until prepared by kidnapping one of them?

All of the above?

With hands that trembled slightly he poured himself another drink and threw it back seeking solace in that familiar burning feeling. He was going to need more of those before the night was over.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:31 pm

She could get him the tea set without forcing him to come back, but Nao wanted to be able to see him off properly before he fully transferred to Third Division. She was going to miss having him around, that much was certain. Perhaps she could even see about following some of his cousin’s advice to give him a nice last day. The mere thought of doing something like that spurred a momentary flush in her face, though she managed to keep herself quiet on the subject.

Her heart skipped a beat as Zenji’s fingers found their way just above her wrist. She needed more alcohol in her system to believe that anything she was doing was remotely smooth, but she was able to suppress her skittishness and even bring her own hand over to rest atop his, squeezing it gently as she shook her head to indicate that she was unharmed.

A part of her had worried that Zenji might fly off the handle, but she hadn’t expected this level of anger over just finding out she had confronted one of the Destroyers. He’d faced off and killed two of them, after all. Surely she was right to go after a single isolated target if he could risk himself that way. It wasn’t like Zenji was going to be able to restrain himself enough to bring one of them back alive. The man’s passion for upholding the Balance was admirable, but they needed a delicate touch here just as much as his forceful Kido.

She let him take his hand back, nervously brushing her own hair clear as she struggled to keep his gaze, worried that she’d managed to hurt him so. She had been able to hold her will in place until his words turned on her, and she soon found herself unable to keep her eyes on his, turning her head down and staring into her cup.

”I would never do that to Xio, Zenji. You know that,” she pleaded with her eyes still locked on the sake as tears threatened to well up in them, ”I needed someone in Fourth I could trust, and you said yourself that she might work.”

”Her performance reviews were good, too,” Nao said, finding confidence to look back to him as she could put her call more on paperwork than on her own judgement, ”She also has a keen scientific intellect, which is what we need if we’re going to learn anything from them. We might be able to sterilize or cure them or maybe she’ll be able to use him so we can figure out a way to track them so that Fifth Division can find them better when the time comes.”

Her hands shook as she took another drink, trying desperately to calm her nerves, barely noticing that she’d managed to cut her glass down to about a third of its previous fill. ”Zâbel gets that, and we’re of the same mind there. We might disagree about how to go about other things, but she’s taking all the necessary precautions,” she said, blushing at the thought of what the woman had suggested she do to Zenji as she drank the remaining third and gave herself a refill.

Last edited by Nao Aoki on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Diarmaid O'Cahan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:16 am

Sighing he slumped sideways, not bothering to catch himself as he half fell onto the pillows and his shoulder bumped the wall. Readjusting himself so his back was leaning against it the one-handed man closed his eyes and sighed. “I’m sorry Nao, I’m sure you’re doing what you believe is right. This is more important than my fragile little feelings.” he said with a weak smile.

Tilting his head back he opened his eyes and stared at the roof. There was so much at stake here. The Quincy could destroy the Balance and then everything would collapse inwards leaving untold destruction and no orderly or safe future ever again because certainly no one in the Soul Society had the power to reorder entire dimensions. Then even if they stopped the Quincy but the damage had already been done then it would possibly be too late to fix, even with the most immoral and drastic action. Then there was how they would stop the Quincy? Would it have to be open warfare or could his Cousin find another safer path? In the meantime would they have the strength to hold out or would there be thousands more innocent souls destroyed in the Quincy’s reckless hunting of Hollow?

Putting aside the Quincy for the moment there was Watari who, despite what others might think, Zenji was constantly having to deal with even if most of it was happening in the shadows without them know as he planned to eventually confront the other man.

Then there was their leaders, the incompetent and corrupt Captains and Lieutenants they sought to displace, Zenji had to lie and deceive those around him even as he sought to displace the officers above him so that he could climb the ranks to undo the damage done by the scum who had abused their ranks for far too long.

Deception, trickery, planning, scheming, lying. It was just so much.

On top of that he had spent every free second training or taking care of his duties as the Clan Head up until his injury. Yes the injury. He had nightmares of the two Quincy who had tried to destroy his soul, to wipe him from the cycle, in an act of heretical destruction. He saw their sneering faces in the darkness. The orbs of annihilation and a sword that brought only a cruel eternal void with no hope of resurrection. Not to mention the suffering he’d gone through even after escaping.

Then there was Binbōgami constantly whispering to him. Feeding his self-doubt, his distrust, his fears.

“I’m so tired.” the words escaped him in a whisper as he closed his eyes once more. “It’s just… so much...”

For the longest time his greatest worry had been a backlog of documentation now over the period of a few months everything had begun to slip and twist into this nightmare.

Soul King help him but he was tired.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:41 pm

She’d gone and fucked things up royally. Nao looked to the sadness and exhaustion obvious on Zenji’s face and in his posture, knowing it was all her fault. She should have told him earlier. They should have planned it out. She was supposed to trust him. That’s what friends did, but she had been in such a rush that she hadn’t stopped to think of that.

”I’m sorry, Zenji,” she said as she slid in next to him against the wall, her hand brushing against his. She longed to do something for him to make it all easier. Their conspiracy was stressful enough for her, but he had to deal with Watari. He had to review all of the reports she was sending over. He had to do all of this while planning to take control of a new Division. It was the same what she was going through, only she was loading her own stuff onto him and she’d only added more stress with her revelation about the Quincy and his cousin, all on top of trying to recover.

Her fingers, still resting close to his, stretched out and wrapped around Zenji’s good hand. Her heart was racing at the sheer emotional electricity, but she couldn’t’ shake the voice of his cousin from her head. She could never act as audaciously as what she’d been told to do, but she couldn’t take sitting back any longer. ”How can I help, Zenji. I,” she said, fighting through a nervous stammer, ”I want to be there for you. I care about your feelings.”

As she rested, her gaze fell upon her blade still sitting by the door. Murat would have echoed the same advice as she’d heard recently. Just grab it. Take what you want. She wasn’t going to figure her own feelings about Zenji or Tetsuya by just sitting around and mulling it over for another couple decades.

”Anything you can think of, Zenji. Just tell me and I’ll do it. No questions asked,” she offered, squeezing his hand gently in her own as she looked on and sighed at the sight of his worn out face.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Zenji Hatayama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 am

Sighing heavily the man shook his head slightly. He was exhausted and the constant pressure of having to organise a counter for the Quincy whilst not allowing his commanders to find it all out was tiring. He was planning and scheming and reaching out to those he could trust slowly. He just wasn’t used to all of this sort of thing. It wasn’t really all that long ago that Zenji was sitting filing away After Action Reports in a small corner office for decades while half-asleep and drinking tea. He wasn’t designed for this sort of thing. Hatayama was a scholar, a man of faith and a man of peace. Having to plan for a war, an extermination, just wasn’t natural to him. He wondered if those scheming with him even had any idea how much he had to push himself day after day to commit to this.

“Just be there for me...” he whispered. “I need time to adjust to all of this.”

Sighing, the man shook his head again. “I’m no leader, I’m not military commander… I’m a weak man. I’ve lived life as a paper pusher and a scholar.” he told her softly. “I’m not sure if I have the strength to do what needs to be done. To protect everyone and everything I love.”

Feeling her hand on his Zenji let his fingers intertwine with hers and he squeezed it softly taking comfort in the contact. Sliding sideways the man tilted until his head fell softly against her shoulder and he closed his eyes.

“I’ll find a way.” he promised. “I’ll find a way to defend the Clan, to protect you and the other Shinigami. To help Watari see the right way. To defend the Balance. To deal with the Quincy with the least loss of souls.”

“You can’t trust her!”

Zenji pushed the voice away, but he was weak, he could only make the voice quieter and not silence.

“I will become Third Seat. Then I shall become the Vice Kidō Chief. If I have to I’ll replace the Captain Commander himself.” he muttered in a voice that was anything but certain.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:06 am

She held her tongue as he talked, working up enough courage to speak just as he opened his mouth each time and stifling her objections out of deference for him, waiting for some kind of guidance how she could actually do more for him.

How could he see himself as weak? He’d proven the opposite countless times to her. Her heart wasn’t racing a mile a minute because the man whose hand she was holding was anything other that strong.

”Zenji,” she said, a hint of pleading in her voice, ”You don’t have to look at this as just you versus the world. I’m here with you. That’s why I took the Quincy captive. We need answers, and we’re not going to get them sitting around and waiting for a report to slip past our little net and make its way to a desk where someone will start things before we’re ready to deal with them. We can protect the Balance together.”

”We can keep our people safe together, Zenji, both from the Quincy and from whatever it is Watari is planning,” she continued on, squeezing his hand in hers and leaning her head to rest on his, giving a somewhat awkward half-head shake, half-nuzzle. ”Don’t call yourself weak, though. You saved my challenge and possibly my life. You took on two Quincy by yourself and ran into that bastard Anatoly and you lived to tell the tale. You started our plan to deal with them in motion by bringing us all together. You’re talking about climbing up to a position leadership for a reason other than your own self-improvement. Weak people don’t do half of that sort of stuff.”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:20 am

‘You can’t trust her.’

Zenji squeezed his eyes tightly, ignoring the thumping pain of his injured limb, as he tried to force the voice further away.

‘Listen to me.’ he hissed faintly from as if from across a vast void. ‘I have guided you so far. Trust only me. They will betray you. Fail you. I can grant you strength.’

The voice grew further and further away until Zenji finally managed to force up the barrier between himself and the hateful Spirit. However in his heart the doubt remained. Would he have to go at it along? Would Zabel understand? Would she follow his lead as he needed? Or would she show a lack of faith, a lack of loyalty? He had been so sure Yuki would stand with him. He had been so sure Nao would follow his lead without any wavering. He was certain she would believe as he believed.

Was he the wrong one? Was Zenji mistaken?

‘You can’t trust them.’

Zenji shuddered for a moment. The mental voice had not been Binbōgami and that made it all the worse.

“I was strong enough to lose a hand and nearly die at the hands of two mortals then I was held powerlessly captive by a third.” he responded with a bitter laugh but he didn’t pull away. He remained leaning against her as she half-held him. “I don’t want to have to lead anyone.” he admitted softly. “But what choice do we have? If I… we don’t do it then who will?”

He sighed heavily, it would be so easy to just fall asleep and forget about it all for now. “Service never ends.” he whispered almost without realising it. Those had been his father’s words. His father had always said few Shinigami ever walked away for most it was an existence of endless duty until death granted freedom. Those were words Zenji had heard but never really listened to. Now he understood them. The stress, the worries, the preoccupation, the pain, the injuries, the exhaustion and everything else was just part of the role he was stepping into. He had to accept it. He had to live with it. However his father had said one other thing alongside that, something that he had allowed himself to forget.

‘Live every free moment you can find to its fullest.’ He didn’t say it aloud though. To want such pleasure almost seemed traitorous considering the path ahead.

Gently he straightened up, separating from the woman, as he released her hand and forced himself to sit up straight.

“Weakness.”

The wall cracked slightly. The voice broke through.

The exhaustion and pain on his face vanished as if a curtain was being drawn and a small, polite, smile replaced the expression. He shifted his position tos it formally and upright as if he had no problem. Turning the quietly warm expression on Nao he nodded. “Of course you’re right. Together we can handle what will come.”

The wall crumbled further as the Spirit leaked through. 'Trust me.’ she hissed soothingly despite the menacing tone.

“I will speak with my Zabel soon to make sure she has everything she needs for this project.” he promised Nao turning back to the topic at hand. “I should reach out to Xio as well, I haven’t spoken to her since the Hollow incursion. I was thinking of offering her a position in the Third after I secure my place as Third Seat. She is an excellent healer and would greatly benefit from the learning facilities and experience of working in the Division no matter where I find her. Besides having another soul we can trust in a Seated Position will help us if our plans encounter any issues.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:00 pm

She shook her head at Zenji’s rephrasing of his noble, heroic deeds as failures. Those two mortals wielded weapons that destroyed souls permanently and Anatoly never tortured him the way he had done Nao. That took strength of will, and she could recognize that in him. She only wished he could see it, too.

She was much more pleased that he corrected himself to include her. He was obviously loading too much on his back, but a willingness to consider her, even if it came after his initial thought, was a good sign. Maybe, if she was able to convince him, he’d be willing to lean on her more.

She allowed him to adjust himself, making a move herself and grabbing their forgotten cups, topping them off and handing him a drink before taking a much less aggressive sip of hers as he brought matters back to their plans. ”Of course you want to steal Xio away,” she said with a little amused huff, ”I was actually finalizing the paperwork on her promotion after what she did to assist our former Third Seat. She served admirably and could do well heading up our courier team, but if you think her aptitude with Kaido is enough that she would be a good fit for Third, I won’t stand in your way.”

She spared a glance over to Murat, imagining that the spirit would be taunting her for not securing something else in the trade. She was, after all, potentially giving up a trustworthy ally in the lower ranks so that Zenji would be better off. Something in exchange would only be fitting, wouldn’t it?

”Zenji,” she asked as she shook her head lightly and broke her gaze from the blade, ”Do you think we ought to do what our spirits tell us? I’ve been listening to mine more since I started my new position and that has honestly helped some, but I often find myself wondering where I ought to stop with him.”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Zenji accepted the drink with a slight nod of his head and a soft smile, sipping at it slowly as he listened to the woman. “I was unaware that she was being promoted.” he admitted. He had grown out of touch with his Clan lately, it was hard to balance the Family on a personal level when he was so preoccupied with his duties, his training and the formal responsibilities as Head of the Clan. “I do think it will be better for her though and, I have to admit, she only joined the First because I was serving in it. She would likely be more than happy to follow me to the Third and there I can find the time to mentor her more closely.”

Pausing he lifted the drink to his mouth but lowered it again before drinking any of the delicious liquid. “I will arrange a proper meeting with her after I heal… and after I take my position as Third Seat… and after I clean up the mess left behind by the Division’s current leadership.” he added with a sigh and a shake of his head. “It’s a long road ahead, isn’t it?” he asked but with a smile this time and without any concern.

Raising an eyebrow at her question he considered it in silence while sipping at the sake. That was quite the question. It was usually considered rather… intimate to discuss one’s Zanpakuto with another and as such was rarely done outside of very close relationships. Some even considered it bad taste although Zenji did not, simply improper, but then there were few he was as close to these days as the woman sitting next to him.

“I think it depends.” he admitted. “They can be very useful guides. They can steer us in the right direction when we need it most. However, always? No. We’re still ourselves. They are our partners but it is not a relationship of equals. It is one of submission and mastery. Make sure you do not allow an open ear for advice to turn you into a puppet.” he warned.

A soft pressure built up in his skull, a buzzing sound, then the deep feminine voice that promised endless torment if disobeyed spoke. “You listen to me however.”

Zenji felt his hand tighten on the sake cup slightly. ‘Things are changing. The next time we meet face to face you will be in my world not yours.’ he promised. The buzzing built up to an almost painful level before retreating away with a sense of anger left behind.

Letting out a soft sigh he smiled at his friend. “I hope that helped.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:06 pm

Nao nodded along in agreement and understanding, both to his statement about his intentions with Xio and his plans for Third Division. She would miss having a reliable person she could call upon in First, but in the end the decision would be all up to Xio. Zenji might request she transfer, but if she had come to enjoy her time in First as Nao had, she supposed the young gardener might well stay behind against Zenji’s wishes.

As he talked of his belief on the nature and purpose of their spirits, she had another sizable sip, topping her glass off with some warmer sake and enjoying the bouquet and light spin the room seemed to have developed. ”A bit. He was silent for so damn long, and now I find myself wishing he’d just shut his trap again,” Nao confessed, dissolving somewhat into her pillow fort at his comforting smile.

”It’s always pressure this and twist that,” she said exasperatedly, making a rude gesture with her finger toward the tanto, ”And don’t get him started on-“

She stopped talking abruptly, a deep redness coming over her face as she realized what she had almost said aloud. She was playing into his hands even when he was on the other side of the room and not able to reach into her head. It would be impressive if it weren’t so alarmingly inappropriate.

Putting her head down and looking into her cup, she muttered out ”other stuff” in a bashful voice, swirling the drink and, somehow, feeling even more nervous than she had when they’d been physically touching. ”Sorry,” she apologized, eyes still stuck on the sake, ”I know we're not supposed to talk about them, but he feels more like what someone like Watari should have had as a spirit, not me.”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:04 pm

“And perhaps Watari has a Spirit in his mind that you would have expected to have yourself? Maybe they represent a part of our Soul that we’ve never acknowledged? That we’ve never thought to allow into the light of day? A less… pleasant side for most of us.” he said softly, putting the drink aside. Considering his current poor health he couldn’t imagine anymore drinks being particularly good for him, he was already feeling woozy and his tongue had been slipping more than usual. He’d shown a disgraceful amount of weakness and it was possibly due to the sake’s influence.

Glancing at his Staff sitting not far away Zenji sighed, he’d never really spoken about his Zanpakuto before to anyone but Nao seemed to need assurance and he trusted her despite the voice in his head. “Binbōgami awoke during the fight I had with the Hollow a few months ago, the one where the young new recruit died.” he said softly. “It was the first time I ever heard her speak and yet she claimed she had been speaking all along and it was I that did not listen.”

Folding his hands on his lap Zenji turned his gaze away from Nao to stare at the far wall letting the silent moments pass by before he started speaking again somewhat slowly. “She lied to me for some time. Pretended to be kind, loving, caring. She was what I had always wanted in a partner. However the first time I found myself in her world I tore aside the illusion to discover the ugliness beneath.”

A surge of fury flooded his soul, a tightening in his chest, a nail clawing down the side of his neck. “She is… domineering. Commanding. She wishes to be the one who says when to act and how to do so.” he revealed with a glance at Nao. “You have never seen her ability… it is not obvious. It is insidious and subtle, it acts and by the time the realisation may come it is likely too late to avoid the effects.”

Taking a deep breath Zenji shook his head slightly. “I do not like her and she does not seem to like me. Yet she is possessive of me. She saved me. She gave me strength when I had none, when the Quincy male had been on the ground beaten and broken.” he paused, a grimace, closing his eyes as he forced the memory away. “She gave me the energy to fight on, she unlocked the knowledge to release her, then she allowed me to turn the tide. Without my Shikai I would have likely died from my injuries even if the Quincy hadn’t finished me off right away.”

With a shuddering breath he opened his eyes and looked at Nao. “The relationships are as complex as the immortal soul. Neither side really understands exactly what they are. I believe the Zanpakuto know no more about the nature of their existence than we do. They simply act as they believe is best as much as anyone. So listen when he seems wise, decline when your instincts tell you so and resist if he tries to command.” he told her. “Because at the end of the day they are part of us but we are the greater side of the whole and the responsibility is the Shinigami’s to tame and control that Spirit.”

Zenji blinked and suddenly smiled a little self-consciously. “So says the man who has had Shikai for a few days.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:40 am

The idea of the Lord of Suzumei having the kind, sympathetic spirit Nao had always dreamed she might have was so amusing that she couldn’t help but laugh at the concept. A man like that, tied down forever with someone who actually cared for the people he had most likely murdered en masse? If the universe were just, he would have a voice constantly berating him for what he’d done. The universe wasn’t just, though. The Suzumei’s very existence near the head of the Justice Division showed that plainly.

She remained quiet as he spoke of his spirit, putting her entertainment at the thought of Watari being reprimanded by a motherly spirit aside as her dear friend shared his innermost thoughts and experiences. He seemed troubled by it, much as she was, and she soon found herself reaching across and grabbing his good hand in hers as he looked away from her to show that she was there for him.

As he told her of his spirit, she scowled. Zenji didn’t deserve to have to put up with a manipulator like that, not in his life and certainly not ringing in his head. She nodded along, finding too many similarities between her relationship with her spirit for her to chalk things up to coincidence. They were good people, that’s why their spirits were so bad. It was finally clear to Nao. Binbōgami and Murat were two in the same, just as she and Zenji were.

Her sad reflections were broken as he slipped in a self-deprecation, forcing Nao to smile back and shake her head. ”Come now, Zenji. You’ve been hearing her for longer than a few days. Murat only spoke up and helped me understand my abilities because Anatoly ripped him out of me,” she admitted, ”I was thinking that he’d done something to make him like this, but if yours didn’t change after he accosted you, maybe he was always there for me, too.”

”He’s frustrating,” she sighed, still holding on to his hand as she shifted over to rest up next to him, ”He always wants me to take shortcuts. Get my work done early, leave things in a half-done state and pass them off to someone else, skip work altogether, that kind of stuff. He’s the most unprofessional person I’ve ever met. I went to the place he lives in when Anatoly yanked him out, you know?”

She thought back on that room. The smell of the smoke in the air, the absurd levels of lavish office comfort he sought to live in, the taste of whatever drink he’d left poured out for her. It all reeked of excess and slacking off. Knocking the image clear with a shake of her head, she focused back on Zenji, getting momentarily lost in his eyes. ”He wanted me to come over earlier. He hounds me to come here almost every day,” she admitted to him, half-entranced in his gaze as the sake worked its magic loosening her lips as she shifted to a failure of a mock-baritone of his voice, ”Just say you have some reports he needs to look over. Ask him to review transfer requests with you. You’re not going to be able to order him around much longer if you want to get away with-“

She cut herself off, averting her eyes as she blushed a deep red as she realized what she’d almost said. She could have likely heard Murat chuckling if it weren’t for the words of Zenji’s cousin ringing in her head. Were they both right? Should she be more forward? Ought she try to take what she wanted? Did she even know what she wanted?

”Zenji? I, she asked bashfully, snapping out of her impersonation voice, ”there’s something he wants me to do, and I kind of want to do it too, but it would change things if I did and I don’t know what I’d do if that happened. Should I?”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down