Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica]

2 posters

Go down

The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica] Empty The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica]

Post by Ishikawa Genji Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:24 pm

Karakura Hachimangū

The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica] CkwzJ3m

The arrow cracked into the target and Genji lowered his bow while stifling a yawn. Glancing up at the night sky he noticed it was a full moon and smiled slightly at the cloudless night sky. Such a simple thing and yet so beautiful to look upon. It was nights like these that one could almost forget that their people’s future teetered on the edge.

Almost.

Shaking his head he stepped back and into the Kyudojo Hall, the roof soon blocking his view of the serene sky. Moving to the back of the hall he set his bow aside and knelt down for a moment while taking a sip of water.

He hadn’t been home long when he’d found out everything that had occurred in recent nights. Their people’s age-old enemy had discovered that the Quincy peoples still existed in the wake of a growing foreign Quincy population within his family’s hometown. Fights had actually broken out between the two groups. His deceased older sister’s fiance had been either abducted by the Soul Society or killed. A second Quincy, from a family allied with the O’Donovan’s, had also gone missing. Not to mention Hollow attacks were at an all time high.

All the danger aside, Genji had to worry what the other Quincy would think of the Ishikawa Clan after this. The town was their home, under their protection and they were clearly failing miserably at being its guardians and, he had to admit, completely lacked the power and numbers to rectify the situation.

Genji grimaced slightly at the thought. His father, despite his poor health, had even begun patrolling the City at night again. His younger sister accompanied him but the girl was only in High School despite her skill. Hua was studying abroad and their mother hadn’t been an active Quincy in decades due to her injuries.

Then there was Genji… and he knew his limits.

‘I wish you were here Yua.’ he thought to himself sadly. ‘You would find a solution. You were the prodigy, the leader… the real heir.’

He sighed. It wasn’t in his nature to doubt himself but under these conditions what sane man wouldn’t?

He rubbed his eyes, feeling exhausted. He should probably go to bed soon. Luckily he lived at the Shrine so it wasn’t as if he would have to go far. The building closest to the Kyudojo itself was actually his living Quarters although he’d have to do the rounds to make sure the rest of the Shrine was locked up properly.

It had been a busy day, as most days were. Exercising in the morning following by working at the temple for most of the day broken up by Quincy Training and patrols. At the end of the school day he helped coach the local High School’s Kyudo Club then it was back to the Shrine. The late nights were the only moments when his life was really his own.

Although it wasn’t as bad as it sounded. A life of purpose in his community gave his days meaning. He had missed this while living in England.

The Temple was serene, quiet and perfect at this time of night. Not only was he free from distraction but the shrine itself was rich with Reishi. He sometimes wondered if that’s why it was built here, had his forefathers found a region flowing with energy and as such built their holy site here? Or was it because so many generations of Quincy had trained here that the area had become overflowing with spirit particles? He’d asked his father once but the man had admitted to not knowing.

‘How much of our knowledge was lost because of the two Genocides? How much remained undiscovered due to hiding in fear and not testing the limits of what we are?’

Well the hiding was over now. Sure the Ishikawa could bury their heads in the ground and try to avoid the coming conflict but it wasn’t in Genji’s nature to do so nor was it in the nature of his siblings or parents.

He just had to make sure he was ready.

Picking up his bow again he returned to the edge of the Hall, where the wall was open to the outside and ran into the firing field at the end of which sat the targets.

Really he should be in bed but his mind was racing with too many concerns, fears and worries. Better to tire himself out a little before retiring for the night.

Drawing smoothly on the string his expression became neutral and calm as he loosed another arrow into the center of the target.
Ishikawa Genji
Ishikawa Genji

Back to top Go down

The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica] Empty Re: The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica]

Post by Jessica O'Donovan Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:42 am

Jessica turned the corner to the road that led directly to the temple she was told to go to. She stopped in her tracks and stared at the place, apparently this was another Quincy hold. She had no idea it was here until recently, possibly to avoid complete destruction of Quincy forces in an area if a single member was captured. The woman's heart sank as the thought of Micheal captured somewhere having unspeakable things done to him floated into her mind.

With a deep breath Jessica pulled herself together and walked up towards the temple. As she approached she felt a sort of cathartic feeling growing in her, the reishi here was exceptionally high here. Even for Karakura town. That made sense for a Quincy hold, easier to practise and defend yourself if you have more fuel for your ginto.

Stepping into the temple grounds she looked around for any signs of life. Any priests? Maidens? Attendants? No? Surely there should be someone around at least. Jessica began to wander around the grounds searching. It wasn’t long before she came across the archery practice area. She supposed most temples wouldn’t have one but being one of theirs it made sense.

Jessica was about to turn away and continue her search when an arrow flew through the air and thudded into the centre of one of the targets, “Nice shot.” She said aloud. She cleared her throat and raised her voice slightly, “Hello? You in the archery area. I was told to come here to look for the... “ she paused as she quickly tapped at her phone to get the name of the Clan that lived here, “The Ishikawas. I was told you might be able to help me. I’m an O’Donovan.”
Jessica O'Donovan
Jessica O'Donovan

Back to top Go down

The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica] Empty Re: The Importance of Tradition [Closed/Jessica]

Post by Ishikawa Genji Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:39 am

Thunk

The arrow hammered home and calmly lowered his bow and focused on his breathing, he was rushing a little due to his own anxiety. He’d have to work on that.

Hearing a voice the man frowned slightly at the stranger. A young, stylish girl, maybe 18 years old or so. A foreigner obviously with blue (dyed?) blue hair.

Remembering his manners he bowed his head slightly. “Welcome to the Karakura Hachimangū.”

When she mentioned being an O’Donovan Genji froze and paled slightly. What was this? An agent sent to enact retribution because their heir had been lost in Ishikawa territory? He knew little about the other family’s leadership - aside from Yua only his parents had ever dealt with them.

Clearing his throat he nodded “Please walk around that way.” he said pointing down the side of the path she was on. “It will lead you to the main courtyard, I’ll just be a moment.”

Taking a few minutes he swiftly retrieved his arrows, put them and the Yumi away along with his archery glove. Then he would close the front of the Kyudojo off so it was no longer open to the target field itself.

Then quickly changing from his traditional kyudo outfit into a white yukata with black t-shirt underneath. Putting on a pair of waraji to cover his feet he would leave the dojo, closing the door behind him as he did so.

Walking out into the courtyard he would meet Jessica and smile at the woman. “Apologies for my rudeness, it was a bit difficult to speak across the fence of the archery field and I didn’t want us shouting family business at one another.” he said with a warm smile.

Gesturing at one of the buildings he added. “Come on inside, we can discuss matters away from the night’s chill.”

Leading her to one of the buildings Genji would hold the door open for her before sliding it shut as he entered after.

Taking off his sandals he would gesture for her to sit on the tatami mat floor. “Apologies we don’t have any chairs here.” he admitted “My father insists on keeping the building as traditional as possible.”

There were two or three chairs, uncomfortable ones at that, but they were in the other buildings and mostly for sitting at the computer.

Lighting the irori fireplace in the middle of the room to provide some heat he would also busy himself with preparing some tea.

“So Miss O’Donovan, how can I help you?” he asked. “I’m afraid I’ve only recently returned to the country so if you’ve had previous dealings with my family I may be a little out of the loop.”
Ishikawa Genji
Ishikawa Genji

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica O'Donovan Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:05 am

Jessica smiled as the man revealed himself before gesturing to walk around the building. She followed the path he indicated and waited a few moments for him to arrive, “I understand. Our business is not for public ears.” She returned his smile as he led her inside the building. She looked around at the minimalist decor, a simple but functional room it seemed.

The woman smiled at the mans comment about being out of the loop, “Well, truth be told, I had no idea there were other Quincy in this town apart from my cousin and I.” She paused as she remembered Micheal, “I suppose I should get straight to the point. Micheal O’Donovan, my cousin, was teaching me our ways. However he has gone missing, we suspect captured. I was told to come here and seek your clan out to help complete my training in his stead.” Her smile steadily faded as she spoke, she hoped her cousin was ok but knew it was unlikely.
Jessica O'Donovan
Jessica O'Donovan

Ishikawa Genji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishikawa Genji Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:24 am

Pouring out the hot tea the other Quincy listened in silence. Handing her the hot cup of tea he paused and nodded slightly, kneeling a polite distance away while facing her.

“I was made aware that Mr- that Michael had gone missing and reports said that the Soul Society was responsible. I was also told that it was likely the consequence of a growing gathering of foreign Quincy in the region which revealed our existence to the Shinigami.”

Closing his eyes he felt sorrow grip at his heart. Prostrating himself before her he bowed low, until his forehead touched the ground, in dogeza. “Oh behalf of the Ishikawa Clan I apologise. This is our fault”

Remaining in the extreme bow he continued. “We asked Mr. O’Donovan came here as my family was struggling with the surge in Hollow activity. We are meant to be the guardians, the Spiritual Protectors, of this Town and we have failed utterly. I also apologise for my own absence, if I had been here perhaps my Father would not have felt pressured into asking for foreign aid. Then Michael would be safe and you yourself would not be here.”

“Forgive us. We are weak and have been incapable of our duty. I can only promise that if there is any way for me to do so I will either find Michael or uncover his fate. I will seek retribution for what was done to your kinsman.”

He remained down, eyes closed, head pressed to the mat before her.

The Ishikawa had failed her Clan. She deserved the apology and so much more.

“If you can find it in your heart to forgive us, or at least, give us time to make things right. Then my Clan may be able to help with your training - if we are acceptable.”
Ishikawa Genji
Ishikawa Genji

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica O'Donovan Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:03 pm

Jessica was taken aback a little by the man’s extremely formal apology. She understood that he felt guilty, felt somewhat responsible for this due to his absence, but this was too much. “There is no need for all this Genji, it’s not as if you told those robed weirdos where Micheal was. And quite frankly, the Quincy are spread quite thin everywhere. You can’t be expected to be able to know and react to every spiritual aberration in the area.”

She shifted in her seated position slightly, “So raise your head, or you won’t be able to drink this lovely tea you’ve made.” She smiled warmly at the man before taking a sip of the beverage and letting it warm her insides for a moment while she waited for Genji to sit back up again. “So, tell me of you and yours. I admit I know nothing of your clan. What are your focuses? Specialties? I’m guessing quite archery heavy, hence the training field in the temple grounds, though being a temple perhaps Ginto, especially considering the increased Reishi around it. What’s with that by the way? Why is there such a dense amount of reishi here, it’s some of the thickest I’ve seen since coming here… “ She caught her tongue and went quiet for a moment to stop her rambling.

The woman cleared her throat, “I inherited my mother’s gift for Ginto and my fathers strong arm. I use the combination to trap my opponents and beat them into submission usually. And yes, I am aware that is out of the ordinary for a Quincy, but that’s how it is.” She took another sip of tea, “Love the tea.”
Jessica O'Donovan
Jessica O'Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishikawa Genji Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:25 pm

Raising his head the man smiled and nodded. “Thank you Jessica and you’re quite right of course, our people aren’t exactly equipped for what sounds like a coming war.”

Straightening up he moved back to his original seated position and picked up his own tea to sip at it. “Well the Kyudojo isn’t an uncommon site at Shrines dedicated to Hachiman.” he noted “Due to the Kami’s association with Archery. Plus those who work at the Shrine are expected to be of a certain level when it comes to Kyudo as we use those skills in some of our ceremonies and festivals.”

He paused and shrugged. “It has certainly come in useful though. The range is better equipped and cared for than the one at our family residence for practising archery. Although the one at the Estate is far superior for training actual spiritual attacks with.”

“But yes the Ishikawa focus on Archery and the traditional methods of the Quincy. Many of us… disapprove of the break from historical precedence that many Quincy have chosen.” he added with a shrug. “Personally I too think Archery is the preferable choice and I have more respect for those who practise it but I don’t judge those who decide to try other weapons. To each their own and all that.”

It was the truth. Genji had a great deal of respect for those who in turn respected the traditions of the Quincy but he didn’t really care what others decided to do, it was just that the variances from the original ideal held little interest to him.

“That being said my mother used to be a Ginto master but she sustained injuries many years ago that damaged her ability to manipulate Reishi. She still has the knowledge, just not the means. Yua was also a master of Ginto, just like she was at everything she dedicated herself too but… well” he let that sentence drift off. No point speaking of such unpleasantness. The girl was an O’Donovan so no doubt she knew of the fate of Michael’s fiancée.

“As for the high level of Reishi… I genuinely have no idea. Either our family built the Shrine here because it’s a convergence of natural energies or the spirit particles have built up due to hundreds of years of Ishikawa living and practising their arts here… or perhaps it’s simply blessed by Hachiman. Who can say?” The last was said with far less seriousness and he smiled into his tea as he took another drink.

“My younger sister knows a bit of Ginto too I believe although she too prefers the Bow. I don’t believe my brother ever had the talent though - I vaguely recall him blowing up our shed in an attempt to make a small ball of light.”
Ishikawa Genji
Ishikawa Genji

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica O'Donovan Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:17 am

Jessica took another sip of her tea as Genji described his family to her. His mother was a Ginto master? Perhaps she could teach her some more spells, even if she couldn’t demonstrate them just knowing the incantations and setups would be enough for Jessica to at least practice. Her smile faded when Yua was mentioned, chances were everyone knew about that.

The woman practically winced when Genji said he didn’t care for the Quincy who didn’t lean into their traditional archery. This was very much here, focused on Ginto with Hand to hand as backup. She was basically the opposite of a traditional Quincy. “I must admit, my archery skills are lacking, probably quite considerably compared to others. Though firing my heilig pfeil doesn’t require the use of an actual bow. Which I guess is why Micheal didn’t think I really needed to focus on training with them.”

Jessica paused and thought for a moment as she took a sip from her tea, “I don’t suppose you know anyone with Blut? Micheal was going to teach me that but we never got round to it.” She let out a content sigh from the taste of the tea.
Jessica O'Donovan
Jessica O'Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishikawa Genji Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:10 am

Genji shrugged slightly at Jessica’s comments on her own lack of archery skills. “As I said - to each their own. I may hold archery in higher esteem but at the end of the day each person is better off using what they’re most comfortable with.” he said with a slight shake of his head. “Besides, more and more Quincy are deciding to manifest their weapons in forms other than the traditional bow. I wouldn’t be surprised if, in a few generations, there were barely any archers amongst our people left.”

‘If the Shinigami don’t get us first.’ he added silently.

Hearing her mention the man frowned in confusion for a moment before realisation touched his features. “Oooh. I often forget that not all the Quincy are Pure-Bloods. Yes of course, as an Echt Quincy I was born with the ability innately although I’ve never had to use it much.” he informed the young woman while holding up a hand, shaking the loose sleeve of his yukata slipped down to reveal his forearm. With a slight application of will and spiritual energy blue veins of mystical power ran down his arm. “Blut Vene.” he told her while reaching over for a small kitchen knife sitting beside the hearth. Taking the knife he tapped the blade against his arm and then put the tip against his skin and pushed but the flesh remained as hard as stone. “It’s useful so long as you can spare the energy and presence of mind to use it. I have to admit I’ve barely used it though, although on one particular occasion it saved my life.”

The blue veins vanished and Genji pulled his sleeve back down but he gathered more reishi to himself and simply added. “Blut Arterie” and with a gentle application of his fingers he bent the kitchen knife with no apparent effort. “I’m not as skilled with this one admittedly. It can be used to increase your offensive power, both physical strength and spiritual attacks. I’ve used it a few times with my bow but against minor Hollow it’s hardly necessary.”

“There's supposedly at least one other variant called Blut Vene Anhaben but I’ve only heard of it being used in half-mythical stories.”

Putting aside the ruined knife Genji paused for a moment to grimace as he realised he was going to have to replace it first thing in the morning in case his father dropped by. The old man would kill him for ruining something just for a simple demonstration.

“Even though Gemischt Quincy weren't born with Blut I’ve been told they can develop it to the same standard as Echt Quincy. We just have the advantage of being naturals.”

Pausing to sip at his tea a thoughtful expression stole its way onto his face. “I don’t know if it’s true but I heard Blut was specifically developed for use against Shinigami. Apparently Vene could stop the attacks of even their leaders and Arterie was necessary to injure those same potent commanders.” pausing, he smiled with a bit of amusement. “Not that I would know, I’ve never even met a Shinigami. Only seen them at a distance.”
Ishikawa Genji
Ishikawa Genji

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica O'Donovan Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:47 pm

Jessica let out a small chuckle as Genji destroyed his own knife for the demonstration, “Honestly it’s not an important focus for my training. As I say, I have an affinity for Ginto, but having Blut help back me up would be good. Another string to my bow so to speak.” She let out a small smirk, “Though I am unsure whether Vene or Arterie would be a better idea for my case.”

The woman finished her tea and placed the cup down. “I’ve never seen a Shinigami either, but I am aware of them and what they have done to us. Much as many of our kind probably do too. I am told that they didn’t even know we still existed, though the disappearance of my cousin would suggest otherwise.” Her brow furrowed, “You don’t think they come and try to finish what they started all that time ago do you?” A look of genuine worry crossed her face.
Jessica O'Donovan
Jessica O'Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishikawa Genji Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:27 am

Genji smiled as he put aside his more or less empty tea cup. “There’s no need to choose. All of our people can learn to use both variants, it just takes some practice. You just need some practice infusing the Reishi into your own flesh, it feels a little weird at first but you’ll manage in time.”

Shrugging slightly he added. “Personally I prefer Vene. Stops those venomous Hollow claws from getting an unpleasant bite into our flesh.”

Genji sighed softly and glanced out the window at the quiet night’s sky. It was easy enough to forget they were in the middle of a City when at the Shrine. “They certainly didn’t know about us - I can only imagine too many Quincy gathering in one spot, not being too careful about avoiding the Soul Reapers, led to our discovery. Regardless of how it happened it would seem your cousin paid the price.”

Genji grimaced slightly. “I don’t know. The original purge of our ancestors occurred 1000 years ago however a lesser known series of murders was conducted around 200 years ago.”

Meeting the young woman’s eyes he added softly. “That would suggest there’s not a lot of change in their leadership's decisions even after many centuries.”

After a few moments of tense silence the man smiled again, not as brightly as before, but a warm expression regardless. “Now as for your apprenticeship. I have a plan that may suit you if it's something you’re willing to follow.”

He looked over the girl, he could feel power emanating from her and had little doubt that she was as spiritually powerful as he himself. Which meant only his father was stronger than this O’Donovan. However he could also tell from her soft, spiralling, spiritual pressure - she was unfocused… undisciplined. If he could help her with that, plus give her access to the skills of his family to learn from, he had no doubt she would soon be considered a fully adept Quincy by her own Clan.

“The only way I know how to train you is how I was trained, my siblings where trained and how I am currently training my sister - although she’s largely finished with her apprenticeship if I’m honest.” he explained. “It may be… difficult for you. A lot of the training will appear quite unrelated to our Quincy talents but it is our way.”

Holding up a finger he slowly pointed out the window towards the central courtyard of his Shrine. “I would like you to begin working here as a Shrine Maiden.” he offered clearly. She didn’t technically meeting the requirements - She was of age and they typically ignored the “purity” aspect so long as it never obviously came up. But she wasn’t an Ishikawa and she didn’t have black hair, however he was certain he could have those aspects waved aside considering her heritage. After all, this place was also a safe haven for their people.

“You’ll learn the Shinto ceremonies, as required for your role along with the dances and you'll be expected to become quite the Kyudoka.” he told her with a good-natured grin. “However you’ll also have time to learn from the other Priests and Maidens - all of whom are of my Clan. I’ll also make the Shrine’s library, such as it is, available to you. Then on your days off you can visit my parent’s residence - they have a much greater collection of materials to study from and I’m sure my mother would be happy to discuss ginto with you. My father will probably also insist on helping out despite his poor health.”

He paused and continued a little more slowly. “You’ll also have to live here with the rest of us but, frankly, considering what happened to your cousin I think it’s for the best. With the Reishi concentration of our Shrine and the rest of us gathered here it may be the safest place for you in Karakura.”

Crossing his arms he waited for a moment before asking “How does that sound?”
Ishikawa Genji
Ishikawa Genji

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica O'Donovan Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:58 pm

Jessica furrowed her brow as Genji spoke and layed out a proposal for her tutelage under him. Most of it she understood and made sense to her, living at the shrine with the others, speaking with the other relatives for their knowledge. Even learning to be a decent archer made sense considering their traditions, but becoming a shrine maiden seemed a bit… Odd. “Me? A shrine maiden? Are you sure that’s not, like, blasphemy or something?” While the woman wasn’t a devout believer in any particular god, considering all the supernatural things she had seen, she wasn’t going to rule out their existence.

The woman placed her hand on her chin as she pondered the proposal. Despite the obvious pushback she was probably going to get from the other shrine maidens and possibly even some of the actual Quincy here, the idea was a good one all-in-all. “It sounds like a good plan for going forward. I am a fairly quick study so hopefully these ‘dances’ shouldn’t take too long for me to at least learn. And as you say, it would probably be safer if we stuck together from now on. Especially if we are being hunted.” She beamed a smile over to Genji, “I look forward to working with you, Master Genji.”
Jessica O'Donovan
Jessica O'Donovan

Ishikawa Genji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down