Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warnings Of What Is To Come [Closed/Yuki]

3 posters

Go down

Warnings Of What Is To Come [Closed/Yuki] Empty Warnings Of What Is To Come [Closed/Yuki]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:31 pm

The Lord of the Hatayama was wearing a loose grey robe of humble design. Zenji was currently off active duty, having received permission from his new superior Third Seat, and Chief Archivist, Nao Aoki to take as much time as needed to rest. Indeed Nao had acted more his personal healer than the actual Kaido Experts of the Third who had been assigned to check up on him. It had been her magic which had taken care of the majority of the work to such a degree that upon his visits from the Third Division Medics there had been little for them to do.

Currently he was half-lying on a futon which had been setup for him in one of the large spare rooms of his Estate. He had a multitude of books piled up nearby to read, having found unrolling scrolls too much of a hassle with one hand, as he got his bed rest.

Truth be told he was utterly bored of being in bed all day, every day, for.. well not that long so far but he just wanted to do anything so as to relieve his boredom. He’d tried to argue that he didn’t need this much bed rest with Tomoe, the wife of the leader of the Branch Family, as he reminded her that it had been his hand not his foot that had been cut off. The withering glare she’d give him in return had been enough to chase Zenji straight back to bed.

Sighing heavily he flicked through the ancient tome sitting open on the floor next to him. It was an old journal of one of his ancestors who had recorded their experiences during the last extermination of the Quincy. Although more like pruning of the Quincy all things considered. Sighing the Nobleman flicked through the pages. He wished he could instill in all Spiritually active people how serious this threat was. Humans were doomed as a race if the Quincy were allowed to prosper. The Balance was all that allowed the current version of reality to exist as it did.

‘I still don’t understand how they can be so selfish as to use their powers. Can’t they understand how much damage they do? Do they not care? Maybe they want a world where ordinary Humans die like constantly at the Hollow predators so that only they, the Quincy, would be powerful enough to flourish.’

He shook his head. Could their beliefs really be so twisted?

Lying back onto the bed, lying atop the blanket as he was, Zenji stared at the roof. He wondered if he would ever know peace again? He dreamed of the days when his biggest worry was clocking out of the administrative office on time or finding a misplaced book in the Clan Library.

Folding his hands on his stomach the man closed his eyes trying to search for the old tranquility that used to be a signature element of his life but it was elusive. Worries and fears flooded his mind. The Quincy Threat on all the realms, The growing numbers of Hollow, the lazy apathetic leadership of the Gotei then the ambitious and dangerous plotting of the new Great Clans.

Opening his eyes again, in an attempt to escape the torrential anxiety of his own thoughts, he raised his handless limb in front of his face. Kaido had begun the regeneration process but it’d be a while before his hand was… well regrown he supposed. At the moment he had a sort of hard cap over the stump with a silk wrapping around it although whether that was for support or to just make the mess look tidied he didn’t know. Either way he was thankful for the covering, the wound had been damned ugly and it didn’t look any better regrowing. Shaking his sleeve it slipped over the end of the right arm to hide what was missing.

He hoped his visitor arrived soon. The Lord of the Hatayama had extended an invitation to Lady Kameko to visit his Estate once more. The plan had been started during his meeting with Nao and Watari but he’d initially wanted to pay her the respect of meeting her on her own Clan’s territory. However thanks to Doctor’s Orders he had little choice but to ask her to come to him. Hopefully the girl would not be offended.

There was much to discuss and time was growing short.

“Lord Hatayama.” called a voice before a young, pretty, blonde maid stuck her head through the door. Despite her proper use of his name her mannerisms were anything but formal. Akari was a relatively new servant to the household but she fell into informality easily around Zenji and, frankly, the man was thankful for it.

Forcing himself to sit upright he smiled at the woman. “Yes Akari?”

She grinned. “I heard a guest just passed through the gate. She’s got those cute little puppy ears so I think it’s your friend.”

Shaking his head Zenji couldn’t help but smile. There was no point reprimanding Akari for the way she described Yuki, she would literally just revert to doing the same thing again anyway. She was either very stubborn or suffered from severe memory loss when it came to Zenji’s criticisms. “Thank you Akari. Would you ask the kitchen to prepare some tea and sweets for our guest.”

Akari bobbed her head enthusiastically as her grin widened and Zenji immediately knew she was going to steal some sweets for herself. She vanished from sight and Zenji chuckled as he lay back down again.

Well at least he’d have something to distract himself from the boredom for a while.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Warnings Of What Is To Come [Closed/Yuki] Empty Re: Warnings Of What Is To Come [Closed/Yuki]

Post by Yuki Kameko Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:08 pm

Once more Yuki stepped forth within the grand estate of the ancient Hatayama Clan. She had expected to bring Zenji back to her estate at least once before returning here, to repay his kindness for allowing her access to the library, but it appeared as though he'd desired a meeting. Perhaps it was concerning the recent battle she'd been engaged in? After all it had been no secret. Someone else had to pick her up after her humiliating defeat.

Draw.

Defeat.

I wasn't defeated. If she had defeated me then I would be dead. Nor did I see her corpse anywhere. Clearly we both survived the ordeal.

You didn't kill her. Still a defeat.

As she was led through the estate Yuki moved at a slower pace than she normally would, left arm held close to her body, settled against her hip. In her right hand she held a small basket of strawberries covered with a cotton cloth. On the surface everything would appear to be fine. She had a new uniform. It concealed any damage done to her. But bandages covered her torso, covered her left arm, and extra wrappings secured the horrific wounds she'd suffered from her foe. She was lucky to be alive.

I need to return to her. We need to speak. Did she spare me after all of that? Or did someone else come to our aid? Why am I still alive?

The question gnawed at her mind. But hopefully she could focus it on another topic. Perhaps they might discuss kido? Or tea? Maybe she could invite him out for drinks? That had been a pleasant way of securing friendships, as she had recently come to discover.

Drinks. Food. Bath. Yeah.

Upon arriving at Zenji's door a servant knocked a couple of times and announced her arrival. Then after waiting for the all clear Yuki entered the room, lowering her head towards Zenji. "Hello again Zenji. It is nice to see you again. I brought a gift. Strawberries from my garden. How are you doing today?"
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Warnings Of What Is To Come [Closed/Yuki] Empty Re: Warnings Of What Is To Come [Closed/Yuki]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:23 pm

Zenji smiled from his supine position as his guest entered. “Ah L...Yuki.” he said dismissing any sign of formality after a slight hesitation. It was hard to enforce any sort of formal conversation tones when one was lying flat on their back upon a bed.

Pushing himself upright, moving awkwardly as he did so, the man finally managed to move into a sitting position although he remained on the futon and took a far more informal sitting position than the usual seiza which he preferred when entertaining guests. His body hurt too much for such a stiff posture.

“Oh how wonderful. Please take a seat.” he said, gesturing to the table that had been placed next to his temporary bed with a zabuton for his guest to sit upon. Without thinking he’d gestured with his handless arm, the sleeve hanging loosely over the stump showing quite obviously how much shorter his right arm was than it should have been.

Clearing his throat he smiled and quickly lowered the injured limb. As he did so two maids entered silently to bring hot tea for the pair as well as a small tray of sweet treats which they swiftly placed between the two nobles before bowing respectfully and withdrawing.

Once seated Zenji would continue with the pleasantries although he also sought some confirmation of news delivered by Watari during their last meeting. “So I hear that you recently had a rather unpleasant encounter with a mortal in the Realm of the Living? Lord Suzumei recently mentioned it during a meeting I had with him and the new Third Seat of the First Division.” he told her before realisation dawned upon his expression. “Oh, actually, you know her. Miss Aoki who helped me stop the fight between yourself and that rather abrupt Sixth Division man. She recently won a challenge for the position, I assisted her with it as her second actually.” he explained with obvious warmth in his voice. Although it was common knowledge in the First, he had realised it wasn’t unusual for such information to take a while to filter through the ranks across Divisional divides.

“And of course Lord Suzumei is the Third Seat of the Sixth Division now.” he added in a less pleased tone. He also purposely did not elaborate on how the bloodthirsty man had seized the Seat.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pm

What.

That would explain the unusual meeting venue. For a moment I thought he was going to propose. Or worse.

Yuki's gaze lingered upon the missing hand, although she did move forward to the man's bedside. The basket was settled upon the closest table before she settled in to her seat. As sweets and tea were delivered she lowered her head in gratitude to the maids. Then she set about pouring them each a cup of tea.

"Yes. It appears we have both sustained some injuries as of late. Mine are not so obvious unless I remove my top, if you'd like to share wounds. I was nearly killed. I do not know how my opponent ended up, nor who might have spared me. There are many questions to be answered. But I'll have them when I next visit Earth."

With her right hand she lifted her cup of tea, sipping at it. Drinking alcohol was nice, but so too was tea. Sweets were also always a nice touch. She would have to wait on those though. Right now she really didn't want to use her left hand.

"Miss Nao? That is good. She seemed like a good person. Also I suppose I should send some congratulations to Watari. Perhaps I have become a little complacent with my own position."

She had. This was evidence of it. Already people around her were making their moves. But this business on Earth could come first. After all, if she couldn't handle one Human in a fight then how could she expect to challenge the captain of the fifth? Or even the lieutenant?

I need to get stronger.

Speaking of the Human, there were some peculiarities about her. Perhaps Zenji might have some answers? "The Human who nearly killed me. I do not feel any ill will towards her. I believe our fight might have been a mistake. Maybe. I hope to find out for myself. But regardless of that, something unusual occurred. A Hollow was slain at her hands, but nothing remained of it. Have you heard of such things? Is that even possible? Or was my mind playing tricks upon me?"

In all honesty she really had hoped that it was the case. Maybe she had overreacted. Maybe the woman hadn't slain a soul. Maybe the entire fight was her fault for it, but then she would be willing to accept that.

Last edited by Yuki Kameko on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Zenji readjusted his sitting position, leaning against the wall behind him to take some pressure off his still aching and bruised ribs although he first made sure to carefully pick his hot tea cup in one hand before doing so. Nodding he frowned slightly. “It would appear we have been suffering a lot of injuries at the hand of the Mortals lately.”

Pausing he decided to forge on, but slowly, best not to step to swiftly into the news. “Yes I have. In fact it’s why I call you here but, one step at a time.”

Sipping at his tea he nodded, more to himself than his guest, before continuing. “First allow me to tell you what happened to myself.” he started moving into the topic properly. He had said he would do so, he wanted Yuki on his side for all of this, she was one of the few true warrior-like Shinigami that he was acquainted with but more than that he suspected she would soon begin her rise through the Fifths ranks. Once that occurred he would not only want, but need, her cooperation. “I was on patrol, a large Hollow incursion in that cursed town of Karakura where just about everything unfortunate seems to occur.”

“Tired and injured I tracked down the last Hollow to a park and ran into a Human with rather terrifying powers. The power to destroy Souls.” he said with a significant look at Yuki, it was just as she’d described the meeting she’d had. It seemed Watari’s suspicions were correct, it had indeed been a Quincy who’d nearly killed her. “I tried to stop him. How many Souls resided within that one Hollow who would be lost forever, purged from the gift of living once more, if I had allowed it?”

Pausing he took a deep breath suppressing the rage and fear he felt at thinking back to the incident. “The man was more powerful than I had suspected and I was more exhausted. I eventually got the upper hand thanks to finally discovering my Shikai.” he told her with a faint smile of self-satisfaction. It was the one bright light of the dark story. “However before I could finish it the man had a friend who appeared. She removed my hand wielding some sort of sword. They would have killed me except I managed to unleash some rather potent Kido. They may have been destroyed but I wouldn’t bet on it.  I escaped into the City and were it not for Chief Administrator Aoki I’d be dead. She found me bleeding out in the streets and was able to administer Kaido to preserve my life so I could return home for further treatment. ”

Stopping, he sipped at his tea to allow the younger Shinigami to contemplate his words and digest the meaning. “These mortals are very dangerous. Simply by existing and using their powers, regardless of intentions, they threaten to destroy the Balance. The Balance is, of course, the only reason we exist and it is our duty to stop them.”

Well this was it.

“We believed them lost to history, purged over a millenia ago by the necessary actions of our predecessors. You may have heard of them from Clan lore or even history lessons.”

It was time to take that step.

“We know them as the Quincy.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Mortals? I wonder.

They have been quite troublesome lately, haven't they?

Her gaze briefly turned towards Zenji's stump. A slightly sickening feeling crept into her gut. Had it been the same person? No. There were plenty of Humans with strange abilities.

She nodded along with Zenji's retelling of events, sipping her tea all the while. Of course he was right. Karakura Town had become a hotbed of activity recently. Perhaps it was all leading into something more horrific. But, if so, what? Some sort of Hollow invasion? Or perhaps a new threat entirely?

Yuki paused. Her entire body tensed up, pupil constricted, and tail froze behind her. The power to destroy souls? There were two that she'd met with the same abilities. Well, three counting the old crone she'd slain, and even then she didn't know whether or not the souls were actually destroyed. But those other two had imparted a sickening feeling upon her before.

A man? Wait. I didn't encounter a man with those abilities.

It was only when Zenji mentioned a woman that things really began to click. A woman who removed his hand with an unusual sword. A woman who apparently worked with the same person who could eliminate souls. A woman that she had potentially failed to stop.

"Red hair? Pretty? Glowing blue sword?" she mumbled softly, mostly to herself as she didn't want to interrupt. Zenji might have slain her. Maybe. But even he had his doubts about it.

He was right. These sorts of mortals were dangerous. They knew not what they did to the cycle. Or perhaps they did? She hadn't managed to get an answer to that. It would be important to do so before she made any final decisions about how to handle them in the future. But then Zenji continued on about history. Some ancient purge she only faintly remembered from her academy classes.

Quincy?

You need to kill them.

Why?

It is in your blood.

What?

That didn't really make any sense to her, however the word was something she remembered hearing, and not just from her classes. Her by now emptied cup was set aside. "Quincy" she repeatedly quietly. "Father once said something to me about them, that our clan was somehow involved with them in the past. He never did elaborate any further."

So these creatures had a name? They were Human. Was that unusual scent she caught not just something she could chalk up to different people being unique? It certainly warranted further investigation. But more importantly, and more worrying, there were more running around than she'd initially thought.

"The woman who I fought. Could it be the same one? If so then I must apologize for not finishing the fight. Also, potentially, for accidentally starting it."

She attacked you first.

It might have been a mistake. A misunderstanding, perhaps.

"I had hoped to find her again, to speak with her. Ask her why we ended up fighting. More importantly, I had hoped to determine whether she knew how terrible her actions were. However at the time I didn't have the chance to speak with her and, more importantly, I didn't even know whether or not souls could be destroyed in that manner."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Zenji momentarily recoiled at the word pretty. It seemed that it was the Quincy in question but referring to those abominations as any form of attractive was repulsive and disgusted the Shinigami to his core. Shuddering he pulled himself together enough to actually respond. “That may have been her. I can barely remember to be honest, between my wounds, exhaustion and blood loss I can barely recall her face. She did wield a gleaming blade however, I do remember that removing my hand.” he said with a bitter undercurrent of anger.

“If it was her then you’re lucky to be alive. She was a hateful thing. Not surprising with those demons.” he stated with an undercurrent of anger in his voice. “Those aberrations are not true Humans although they wear their form. Their blood runs corrupt and brings heretical strength, dangerous power, one capable of destroying all the realms. Capable of undoing everything we and our ancestors have fought and died for.”

Zenji took a deep breath before releasing it slowly, sipping at his tea as he did so. “I would beg you not to interact with her again. We must be careful. As I said it was because of these Quincy that I have asked you to come here and I will explain my wishes to you in full before you depart here tonight.”

“You can’t trust her.” the voice whispered. “It's too dangerous. She lacks the skill to be worthy of induction into your plans.”

Sipping his tea he frowned. ‘She deserves to know and she is a friend. She will do her duty. She will do what is right.’

“Fool.”

Dismissing the Spirit’s voice he turned his attention back to his guest. This was a topic dangerous to discuss with someone that Zenji didn’t fully understand the mentality of. He trusted Yuki, not as much as he had Nao but more than Watari by far but he also understood her the least. “I am somewhat concerned by the behaviour of some of our peers. Many of them are, frankly, more like ignorant young Humans than Shinigami. They may be fearfully childish enough to simply think the Quincy mere Humans and as such be unwilling to take action. Sometimes one would think we’re running a club rather than a military.” he added with a shake of his head thinking of some of the Shinigami he’d met lately.

“Let me start off with a question before I begin my friend. Considering that we know the Balance is all that keeps the realms fixed in their proper place, and knowing it is the sole duty of the Gotei to protect that Balance, what do you think we should do about the Quincy? Keeping in mind the rather poor performance of the Divisions under it’s current leadership but also the growing threat of these mortals who did not hesitate to attack, injure and even maim us likely being capable of destroying our souls.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Yes. It was probably her. Damnit.

Next time we finish the fight.

Zenji's anger did not go unnoticed. He hated these people. Loathed them. And yes, he had lost a hand to one of them, but that was no reason to despise an entire race of beings. No, this was something else. This was hate on another level. She didn't like where this was going.

He called them Demons. Obviously they were Humans. A little different perhaps but they were certainly not spirits. Did Demons even exist? Of course it was possible that they did wear the fleshy disguise of a Human, but she doubted that. After all she had potentially met one before and they had left on friendlier terms.

Still, the danger they posed was real. She could understand the man's concerns. Completely eradicating souls would throw off the balance of their society. But did they know that? And if they didn't would knowing that change how they conducted themselves? Those were the important questions to ask.

He did have a point about other Shinigami. Many were too lazy, corrupt, or simply undeserving of their position. Change was needed. It was why she supported Watari's plan, even if she did not support his method of carrying out that plan. He promised to change all that. Change for the better.

You cannot still believe in that lie.

If he is lying then he already knows of the consequences.

The man's question was an important one. She didn't really wish to upset him, but she wasn't going to lie either. No, complete honesty would be the only way forward. Besides, she was already pretty set on her path forward.

"I do not know enough about them" she began, setting down her cup as she finished her tea. "Have we tried speaking to them? Do they know of the consequences of their actions? Do they know of the balance they disrupt? Do they know why we hunt them? A purge was mentioned. Despite my years I know little about such history. Imagine yourself in their shoes. A frail Human with a short lifespan. Do they know of the history?"

Yuki sat up straight, tail curling around into her lap. "This is why I wish to speak with them. I must know the answers to these questions. If they do not know then perhaps simply informing them might change their ways. If we can avoid unnecessary casualties then we should. On both sides, especially considering what their weapons might do to us. I am willing to take that risk."

She paused. Unfortunately that was the good scenario. He did ask for her advice. It was only fair that she answer fully. "If they do know and they wish not to change their ways then, at that point, we might need to consider them our enemy. If that becomes the case then I would include their numbers in our hunts. Give each of them a chance to give up their practices, of course. Those who disobey, who fight back, they would need to be slain."

Still, this left another question in the air. "Would their souls pass on as a normal Human's does? That is also important to determine. I do not know enough about them to say for certain whether or not they do."

Of course she did have a feeling that Zenji might know. But then that was why she was here, wasn't it? To get answers? On that note there was another question. "Do you have records of the clans here? My father said something about them in passing. Said our clan was tied to them."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Zenji Hatayama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 pm

Zenji sighed heavily and ran a hand through his hair, his expression exhausted, as the questions came. Not because he was unhappy about them, rather he was more than happy to explain the matter but because they had to be asked to begin with. The Quincy where the single greatest risk to existence that the Gotei had ever faced. The topic should be taught at length to all Shinigami Students at the Academy to emphasise how threats could come in more forms than just Hollow and how much worse those threats could be.

‘If we don’t stop them then all realities collapse. Whoever survives the fallout from the catastrophe, be they Soul or Mortal, will find themselves in a realm where no barrier exists to protect them from the ravenous hordes of the greater Hollow who rarely leave Hueco Mundo.’ he thought to himself miserably and, for a brief moment, the nobleman looked exhausted as the weight of the horror once more felt like it was crushing him.

“We’ll deal with it. No matter the cost.” Binbōgami said in a rare reassuring tone.

‘No matter the cost.’

Focusing on his guest the one-handed Soul Reaper nodded slightly. “We did, in the past, but it didn’t work. We tried to explain to them why what they did was dangerous but they didn’t care. The Balance means nothing to them and they care not for the repercussions of their actions.” he told her. “Speaking with them will only hasten the problem. I, and a few other comrades, are currently trying to limit the contact between the Gotei and the Quincy for now. Until we’re ready.” he explained revealing the truth rather bluntly. He didn’t have time for finesse. She needed to know, especially someone as… energetic as Yuki, she needed to understand. “The more we interact with them, despite our intentions, the faster we hasten the inevitable conflict.”

Carefully putting his tea bowl back down on the table the man shook his head. “This is why we have to step carefully. The Gotei is in a rather pathetic state compared to the Golden Age we endured during the last Purge and even then it was no easy task and, evidently, not a completely successful one.” he stated. “Frankly I’m not convinced that we can deal with them right now. They might be stronger than us, especially if they’re more organised than we believe.”

Holding up the stump where his hand should have been Zenji frowned. “I would have been dead if Nao hadn’t been such a master of the Healing Arts. I’m a Noble of the Seireitei, a Shinigami of over two centuries and a master of the Demon Arts armed with a Shikai. Yet two young mortal souls could have destroyed me if I hadn’t managed to flee. They are no fragile Humans. The Quincy aren’t Human at all really.”

Pausing he grimaced slightly. “Likely my fight and yours with the Quincy has already hastened what is to come.” he told her before pausing again and adding slowly. “My allies, those who I have revealed this threat to already, may not be too happy about my telling you all of this.” he admitted.

Smiling faintly, despite the tiredness on his face, Zenji shrugged slightly. “But I trust you. More than that I respect you. I not only believe you’ll protect the Soul Society from this threat but also I believe you deserve to know what is coming.”

“Perhaps, in the future, speaking with them will be possible. To do it now without preparing the Divisions for the possibility of war however? That would be foolishness and would likely doom our own people not to mention countless souls, tearing them from the cycle and casting them into oblivion” he said ignoring the sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach. No doom was worse than the destruction of the soul. Never to live again.

“They make Hollow seem like pests in the grand scheme of things.” he muttered, a tinge of fear entering into his voice unbidden. “At least Hollow only gather Souls to them and can eventually be purified.”

Her question was an interesting one and Zenji nodded. “I believe so. The old texts seem to indicate that their souls would be passed on like any soul is, at least when they meet their end to a Zanpakuto. However there’s no real way to confirm it. Finding a single soul amongst the billions of the Rukongai is impossible. I believe cleansing them and allowing them to reincarnate as souls and then, eventually, normal Humans is the best way to protect the Balance.” he admitted. “Our ancestors did the right thing, they just didn’t understand how persistent the threat was. They missed too many bloodlines. Statistically there could be tens of thousands of Quincy on Earth now, if they can join together then we’ll never defeat them in our current state.”

Her last question caught him by surprise. A thoughtful expression crossed Zenji’s face before he continued. “I would have to check but it’s likely, after all they were Gotei members, yes? The entire Gotei was mobilised to stop the threat last time and they did, only temporarily sadly, but every single Division used their entire manpower to manage it. I believe it was the largest scale operation in the Gotei 6’s history.”

Straightening up he met Yuki’s eyes. “The fact is that we’re Shinigami. Our sole purpose is the protection of the Balance. The Quincy are the greatest threat to the Balance of Souls to ever exist. If we don’t stop them then we’ve failed in our sole responsibility and we don’t deserve the privileges or skills we’ve been gifted.” he said plainly. It was the simple fact that Shinigami’s only real duty was to defend the Cycle of Souls. Any Shinigami who refused was a traitor and an immoral criminal at the very least.

Nodding to his guest he continued in a tone as hard as steel. “This is why I wanted to inform you of all of this. You’ve already been assaulted by one, you know how dangerous they can be. More than that you’ve a member of the Fifth, one of great promise from what I’ve heard, and we need skilled officers in every Division if we’re to bring the Gotei 6 to the required preparedness for this disaster. We have the First, Third and Sixth covered. We may soon have the Second and Fourth as well. That only leaves the Fifth which, being the main battle Division, will be the most important when the Quincy finally feel like it's time to go beyond attacking sole Shinigami on patrols.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:49 pm

So the Quincy had been informed in the past. Yes, she'd already figured that to be the case. However he had avoided answering her actual question. Had they been asked recently? She knew they were strong, yes, but they still inhabited mortal forms. They lived much shorter lives. The chances that they lost this information was incredibly likely.

On that note, if they knew not about the balance then could they really be faulted for disrupting it? That wasn't fair. If it was true then they were not standing on an equal footing. Blame could not be leveled upon them, but it could be leveled upon those within their own society. Well, partly. For all they knew the Quincy had been wiped out. But now that they did know they had no excuses.

Nor did she agree with him that speaking to them might make things worse. They had done battle twice. It was still possible that their opponents lived. In that case it was likely that this information had already spread. Inaction would bring more disaster for everyone involved. She did agree that they had to be careful with their interactions, yes. However she doubted that the Quincy were, as a whole, stronger than they were. Or rather she hoped this to be the case.

They didn't know what might happen to the Quincy when they were slain, but he was also right that they could not really find out that information for themselves. At least not that she knew of. But the risk of them not passing on to the next life outweighed the risk of allowing them to continue as they were. She had to agree to that.

Unfortunately he didn't seem to have any specific information readily on hand about her family. Perhaps she could investigate that on her own time later. However he trusted and respected her enough to give her all of this information willingly. Hopefully he would understand her decision.

"On most things it appears as though we agree" she began, having only spoken up once Zenji appeared to be finished with his responses. "You are my friend. Even if you were not, I would still speak honestly to you, for I do not lie. You probably will not enjoy everything that I have to say, but I ask that you hear me out completely."

"I did not have a chance to ask them about their knowledge of the past. Nor, it seems, did you. They are dangerous. Yes. Perhaps the greatest danger we know of. But they are still living beings. Humans. Creatures we have sworn to protect. The balance exists for this reason. To slay every Quincy simply because of what they are or the danger they might pose is wrong. I think my reason for standing against such a decision is plainly obvious." On that point she briefly raised her right hand to point at her ears.

"They deserve the chance to learn the truth, to decide for themselves whether they will continue to act against the balance, or join us in upholding it. I can see a place for them in the world. Instead of finishing off the Hollow they could protect civilians until we arrived, provided we gave them the ability to contact us in times of need. We do not need to be enemies simply because we were in the past. Those who would not follow this would, of course, need to be dealt with one way or another. But perhaps the Quincy could enforce this on their own." Unlikely, but she was willing to give it a shot.

She paused for a moment, allowing the information to sink in. More importantly it allowed her to judge the man's facial expressions, his heart beat, really everything in order to gather an informed opinion about his thoughts to her ideas. "I think we are already on the verge of a coming war. However I also believe that there is still time to avoid this. If we wait then more mistakes will occur. More people will be attacked on both sides. It will become unavoidable in that case."

Her hand was raised again, waving towards Zenji's stump. "What they did to you must be repaid. Nor can I speak to what you might desire as recompense. But I have already forgiven the woman for attacking me. At least until I know more information. I do not expect the same of you, but I do ask that you reflect upon your encounter, to determine for yourself who it was that started the fight and, more importantly, for what reason."

Yuki was giving the Quincy plenty of leeway right now. That was true. But control was very important to her, especially control over her emotions. Right now was not the time to make decisions based upon such things. She could temper her frustrations long enough to figure out whether what happened was her fault or the Quincy's.

"I do plan on becoming the captain of the Fifth, for they have become too complacent. But I refuse to rush blindly into a war, not out of fear but because it is wasteful. Peace must first be attempted. I will approach them and I will request answers to my questions. It is not something I would ask of anyone else, for I do understand the dangers of such actions. If they should attack me again? So be it. But I must ask that you trust in my abilities should things go poorly. If they attack me I will be ready this time. If they attack me I can force them back. If they attack me then I will have my answer and you will have my sword in this coming war, but if they respond positively then we might be able to avoid the war altogether."

This was her answer. Her decision was final. She was, after all, very stubborn. But she felt that it was in the best interests of their people. There was no way that she was going to ignore an option which might ultimately save her friends from harm, even if it meant putting herself into a very dangerous situation. She had already lost enough people in her life.

In any case she had said what she'd hope to say, and so she waved a hand in Zenji's direction. Hopefully he would take her words well. She didn't expect him to, given his hate for the Quincy. But she could hope.
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Trusting the Quincy? Letting them Self-Police? Claiming the Gotei exists to protect Humans? What the hell was Yuki talking about? This was madness, it was borderline treason to the ideals of the military she claimed to serve. Her words struck him like a blow to the chest and he realised with growing horror he’d made a mistake.

“Stop this! Before it’s to late!”

Zenji took a deep breath and looked at Yuki with a mixture of determination and sorrow. “I am sorry to hear that.” he said softly.

Already his Bakudo was in action, his Spiritual Pressure softly drifting through the room as the magic took effect. He met the girl’s gaze and, from Yuki’s point of view, it would appear that his eyes were gleaming with a soft purple light as cherry blossoms rained down around them. Dizziness and confusion were the immediate effects. Zenji watched as her expression slackened and her eyes lost focus before the girl tipped sideways onto the ground unconscious.

Hakufuku. He so rarely had the chance to use it but it was surely effective. Of course knocking her out wasn’t really the main objective; the spell would cloud her memory making it impossible to remember the mystical attack and, more importantly, she wouldn’t recall anything he had said about the plot or the extent of their potential influence over the divisions. He sadly couldn’t do anything about the further back memories around the other information he’d imparted upon her. Still limiting the damage to his plans was the first priority.

“I regret that you will not stand beside me against this abominable threat to all of existence.” he said softly as he stood, for a moment the weight of all three Realms was crushing him again. He was alone. No. He had Nao and, to a degree, Watari.

Crossing the room he opened a small drawer and took out his phone device and sent a message to Nao.

Medical Emergency. Come to my manor immediately.

Then after a moment's notice he sent another message, this time to Watari, saying they needed to speak about Yuki’s future.

Glancing at the girl he had, until a few moments ago, believed to be his trusted friend the Nobleman’s expression iced over. She was potentially more dangerous than the Quincy. It would be the easiest thing to…

Lightning flickered across his fingers.

'No.’

The energy dissipated. He was no assassin. Let Yuki do the damage that she was so intent on doing. He would just fix it. Like he was being forced to do with the entire Quincy Threat. However if she got in his way in the future… well, it was his duty as a Shinigami and Lord of the Court of Pure Souls to defend the Balance against any enemy.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:56 pm

She was halfway out the back door leading to the Senkaimon when Nao did an abrupt about face and rushed off for Zenji’s estate. It was a horrible flashback to the time he had lost his hand that triggered the reaction, and it took her a re-reading of the message for it to sink in. Zenji hadn’t gone out to kill more Quincy. He was safe, or at least as safe as he could be in his own walls. Pushing off and using her flash step to hasten her arrival, Nao cursed under her breath at how stupid she had been.

She was slightly out of breath by the time she arrived at the Hatayama grounds, stepping in and talking to the staff with polite requests for the whereabouts of Zenji. It took some time, but she eventually landed on one of the servants who remembered her from the night she’d spent at the estate after their secret clandestine meeting. A few moments later and she was outside of a door, thanking the servant and rolling her sleeves up.

Once she was set to deal with whatever this medical emergency was, she stepped into the room, immediately looking around for signs of battle. Finding only a passed out Yuki and Zenji, she cocked her head to the side and made her way over. ”What’s the matter, Zenji? What happened to Lady Kameko? It wasn’t poison, was it? Are you okay?” she asked, settling in and examining the unconscious girl first before looking up from the ground at him questioningly.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:00 am

“Thank you for coming Nao.” he said calmly stepping around the woman as she knelt to examine Yuki. “It would appear that our friend has fainted, I think she was perhaps fatigued.”

Walking to the door he glanced at the servant and leant over to whisper to her before nodding and closing the door to the hallway. Turning back to Nao he knelt down across from her at the other side of Yuki. “She’s fine Nao.” he informed her gently. “I was forced to use a spell to render her unconscious, I needed to fog her memory. I tried to get her on board with our plans but she was... unwilling.” he explained with a tone of regret however beneath that there could be heard the stirrings of frustration and perhaps even anger.

“I believe you can bring her out of this with Kaido, she won’t remember the spell or the last thing I said to her. Unfortunately she’ll recall the other information I’ve given her on the Quincy but there’s little else I can do about that without damaging her mind.” he added in a tone that suggested he’d seriously considered it.

Holding a hand up to forestall any questions he sighed “If you can wake her up and make up a medically believable reason for her collapse we can send her home. Afterwards I’ll tell you everything, I promise.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:53 pm

”You did what?” Nao asked incredulously, staring at Zenji in disbelief. She remained in quiet thought for a moment, mulling over the unconscious Shinigami in front of her with a scowl on her face. It was ridiculously irresponsible what he’d done, and the revelation that he was willing to go this far on Yuki of all people caused a momentary flare-up of legitimate irritation to break through her demeanor.

”You would do something like this to Lady Kameko,” she said, indignantly gesturing at the girl before extending her legs and resting Yuki’s head on her lap, ”But you wouldn’t do the same with Lord Suzumei? Zenji, really. Between the two of them, you left the dangerous one with his memories intact.”

With a shake of her head, she set to work on healing the damage Zenji had done. Green healing energies spread outward from her palms as she gently rested her hands on the side of Yuki’s head, her wrists awkwardly touching the girl’s slightly droopy ears.

It was a relief to work her Kaido on a target that wasn’t at risk of bleeding out or being permanently disfigured, even if it was an inherently more complex thing in that she was healing damage done to Yuki’s very mind. One errant twitch and she could easily flip something in the more combative part of her patient’s brain, and that was not something she wanted to test with someone of Lady Kameko’s physical prowess.

Nao took several measured breaths, massaging the sides of Yuki’s head and eventually bringing them to rest on her temple. The green light plusing around her head condensed into separate slowly swirling vortexes as Nao drew her hands back and gently pressed in on the sides of her patient’s skull, forcing the healing energies deeper until she saw the girl’s eyes flit open.

”Are you well, Lady Kameko?” she asked, her hands still in place as they repaired the last remnants of Zenji’s knockout as well as some minor lingering issues she was finding in her dual-purpose healing and diagnostic Kaido. She couldn’t make the mistake of repairing the memory loss caused by Zenji’s quick action, but she could feel her efforts running into the telltale resistance that accompanied concussions and the other sorts of damage far too commonly untreated by members of the combat vanguard. ”Lord Hatayama called me over when you passed out. You really need to pace your training and get in for more regular checkups. These sorts of head injuries can be dangerous if you let them go untreated. A few moments more and you should be able to stand,” she explained. Lying to the woman about the cause of her loss of consciousness felt wrong to Nao, but it was aided by actually finding real problems beneath the surface. Half-truths were so much easier to tell, and someone of Lady Kameko’s position really ought to be more careful.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Their eyes met. Was that sadness? Why was he sad? How was what she had said sad in any way?

"Zenji? Something-"

Already the room was darkening. Everything went dark. Her words, already whispered as the kido took over, were cut short as the spell went into full effect. She didn't even feel herself hit the ground.

Not everything was black. She could see something. A figure within the darkness. Or figures. Only one seemed to move. Wait, another. What was happening? Where was she?

What is this?

You need to wake up.

Am I asleep?

You need to wake up now.

Where am I?

You are not ready. Wake up.

Her eye opened, allowing the light in. Slowly her vision returned. A ceiling. There was a familiar face too. Certainly not an unpleasant thing to wake up to.

Wake up? What? Am I well?

For the moment she remained as she was. Laying down with her head in the woman's lap reminded her of something from her past. Sometimes her mother did this sort of thing with her. Brushed her hair. Massaged her head. It felt a little rude to remain as such without permission and perhaps it was taking advantage of the situation just a little bit, but she longed for this sort of contact, this sort of nostalgia.

Then she remembered.

"Zenji?"

A hand braced against the floor. Slowly she started to sit up, not wishing to bump her head against the poor woman's, or to risk passing out again. Did she pass out? "Is he okay? Are you okay?"

Wait, no. They were worried about her. Was she okay? She didn't really feel any pain or anything. No lingering sickness. As she finally did sit up she briefly patted herself down. Everything seemed to be in the right place. No blood.

"I think I am okay."

Her gaze shifted between Nao and Zenji when she noticed him. A soft, audible sigh of relief was freed from her lungs. Zenji was fine. Nao was fine. She was probably fine. But perhaps Nao was right. Perhaps she needed to relax for awhile. Not too long, as she still had questions to ask the Quincy.

We were talking about the Quincy. Right.

Carefully she shifted herself, settling onto her knees once more. "I apologize for worrying the both of you. You are right. I should rest."

Wait. Nao was here. She hadn't had a chance to speak with her since they last met up. Still, she could be busy. Yuki didn't want to take up too much of her time.

"Also I must apologize. I have not had a chance to congradulate you on your success Nao. You deserve higher, but still it is a step up. Yuki is fine, by the way."

A checkup was a good idea. She hadn't had one in a long, long time. Also she had attained many injuries since then. "I shall take you up on the checkup offer sometime, if that is okay. Ah, speaking of which, how have you been?"

Am I really well?
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Nao Aoki and Zenji Hatayama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Nao let the wolf girl get up, confident that she’d restored enough function in the girl’s head that there wouldn’t be any lingering issues. The last thing she expected to come from her mouth was an apology, though. It felt completely foreign to Nao for someone to apologize to her instead of the other way around, and she immediately blushed and looked down to her hands to straighten her sleeves back out at the kind gesture.

Her gaze was brought back as Yuki offered her congratulations, the added surprise actually managing to hold her mouth slightly open for a moment. A quick head shake and smile did away with her silly look easily enough, thankfully. ”No need to apologize La-“ she began, quickly correcting herself and forcing the use of her first name, ”Yuki. I’ve been well. I must say, forms process meetings are far more challenging when you are the decision-maker as opposed to the person making the suggestions. Not nearly as glamorous as what you get up to in Fifth, I’m sure, but it is not an exercise without merit.”

She was sure to leave out her other recent activities that would have been far more interesting to both of her companions. She still hadn’t told Zenji about having captured a live Quincy for fear of what he might do to the poor cursed man, and from the limited information he had told her about Yuki, she knew not to bring that up.

”Speaking of exercise, you should be careful for a few days. I detected some severe signs of fatigue, too. If you need a break, I can send some members of First over to cover for you for a few days so you can get some rest. They could certainly use the training time, possibly more than you could use the time away,” Nao offered, coming up with a convenient solution to help Yuki’s mind relax and let Zenji’s erasure set in all while training some of her more lackluster subordinates.

\\THREAD EXIT

Last edited by Nao Aoki on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:37 pm

When Yuki awoke Zenji’s expression was a mixture of tiredness and annoyance. He was displeased with how this had all gone down. Frustrated at Yuki’s inability to serve her proper role as ordained by the privileged place she’d been given in the Soul Society. Irritated that he’d been forced to call Nao here to discuss his failure at recruiting her and making his friend deceive another close acquaintance. Then on top of that his stump was beginning to hurt as well which only aggravated the negativity filling his heart.

“Use your emotions. They can help.” Binbōgami advised him, guiding her partner in the art of deception as usual. Strangely the more he listened the better he got, not just in the way one got from a few whispered pieces of advice but as if it became more naturally part of his behaviour. He sometimes wondered if the Zanpakuto had greater influence over him than he’d expected.

Instead of hiding his frustration, and likely failing, he just acted as if it were in another direction. “Yuki you need to take care of yourself!” he snapped in the tone of a concerned friend pushed into anger by worry. Taking a deep breath he smiled and shook his head. “Sorry but you really worried us Yuki, you need to let yourself relax. Please do as Nao advises and take a few days off.” he half-begged. In every way Zenji seemed genuinely concerned that his friend had suddenly collapsed.

A sharp whistle echoed in the dark recesses of his mind. “Fuck me you’re getting good at his.” she said in a tone of approval. Once the approval would have made Zenji feel sick but he was past that now. He needed her and she needed him. If he had to use her disgusting teachings to succeed then he would.

Zenji wasn’t worried about the memories, for all intents and purposes the ones he needed to hide were deleted. He was a master of the Demon Arts and had no fear that his spellwork would fail nor did he believe any healer in the Soul Society could undo his handiwork now.

Smiling at the question about Nao Zenji raised his stump and chuckled. “Our friend has been very busy. Practically running the First Division these days and, lets not forget, healing up careless friends.” he noted with a gesture of his wounded and hurting limb, it was Nao who had saved him after all.

A knock on the door caught his attention and Zenji called out for them to come in. A servant stepped in holding a small bowl and she bowed slightly in their direction before approaching and offering the bowl to Yuki.

Smiling Zenji added. “These are some Biwa Tea leaves, they’re said to have medicinal properties especially for fatigue I asked our servant to retrieve. Please take them, hopefully they can help a little.”

//THREAD EXIT

Last edited by Zenji Hatayama on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:01 pm

The wolf's tail wagged just a little when Nao acknowledged her name, as opposed to her noble title. Well. Lady Kameko was still her name. But it also always sounded too formal for her. In any case, friends used informal names.

"I can only imagine. I'll admit to not knowing much about the various processes for the various forms, but it is none the less an important job. Perhaps more important than fighting. Anyone can learn to do that."

Would she ever desire a position in the First Division? Absolutely not. It just wasn't for her. But every division was important. None of them deserved any less respect than the others.

Zenji's sudden outburst forced Yuki's ears flat against her head. In fact she recoiled slightly at the stern tone! It was immediately followed up with guilt. Here she was getting her friends worried. Her inability to finish the fight had directly led to Zenji's getting hurt as well. She had plenty to be guilty about.

"I'm sorry" she whispered, lowering her head. "I will try to be more careful and I will take some time off to rest. Having members from the fifth take over would be appreciated. Thank you."

Of course she didn't notice the gesture Zenji made, but it fit none the less. She had been a little careless. She was being a burden right now. She needed to do as they asked, for their sake if not her own. Isn't that what friends did for each other?

When the scent of tea hit her nose Yuki looked over. The bowl was accepted and her head briefly lowered in gratitude before she sipped at the drink. It burned a little, but she suffered through it to finish her beverage in one long gulp. The bowl was set aside and a sleeve wiped at her lips. Then she slowly stood herself up to her feet and bowed towards Zenji and Nao.

"I should let you rest now. Thank you both for your assistance and your care. Please feel free to visit my home, or to seek me out if you need anything. And thank you for the tea. Take care both of you."

With that she turned to take her leave. She had bothered Zenji long enough. He was probably tired. Tired and in pain. But her carelessness wasn't helping matters either. He had enough to worry about. And, to be honest, she was worried about straining their friendship. It was so new to her! She needed to protect that.

Rest. Rest a few days. Then I can seek one out.

// Exit Thread!
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down