Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chance - Melinda

2 posters

Go down

Chance - Melinda Empty Chance - Melinda

Post by Shimazu Sun May 24, 2020 12:07 am

“Soon, you will find yourselves on patrol. Some of you patrolling these very streets!”

Karakura Town, Japan. The spiritual epicenter of the World of the Living.

“It's important that you familiarize yourself with the basics of what, exactly, that means!”

The eight students nodded, taking in every word. They were all part of the same class, and would no doubt be graduating the Spiritual Arts Academy in no time at all. Some would be selected for divisions that would see little, if any, patrol or combat. Others, however, would not. Shimazu was as of yet, unsure, and undecided. Where would his talents be best utilized?

“You! Day dreaming again?!”

His face turned red hot in embarrassment as all eyes fell on him. Some of his classmates snickered, while the others sighed in frustration. There was a certain attitude towards those of noble descent lately.

“You think just because daddy died and you've inherited the family estate that you'll just breeze through your training, huh?!”

No, of course I don't think that, he wanted to say, That's silly. I'm taking this as seriously as everyone else, why don't you get off my back? He didn't dare express those thoughts.

No, sir. Sorry sir,” was all he could offer. As the designated carrier of the group's jigokucho, the overwhelming nervousness made him nearly drop the cage carrying the butterfly. The sweat began beading at his forehead. He just wanted the attention to be taken off of him. The temperature sure didn't help, the World of the Living was much warmer than back home this time of year.  So it was he took a few more scathing insults before the lesson would continue and before he knew it, they were well on their way to learning techniques such as proper formation when in multi-manned patrols, and the proper channels by which to record any noteworthy events. What details should, and should not be included in reports.

Really, it was boring.

An alert sounded, interrupting the lesson. The instructor reached into the folds of his uniform and produced his denreishinki – the soul pager, a common tool for Shinigami on patrol – eyeing the device nervously. He steadied himself with a chuckle.

“Well, it seems we've got some company. What does everyone think about some hands on experience?!”

Gulp...

Last edited by Memnoch Shimazu on Sun May 24, 2020 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Chance - Melinda Empty Re: Chance - Melinda

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am

"Your target this time is special Serpent."

Melinda had perched herself up onto one of the many rooftops the area had to offer. She currently had her mask off and her hood down, her hair was still wrapped around her neck and swayed gently in the wind. He earpiece had been going off constantly as Apollo had been reminding Melinda of the mission.

"It's not a human this time. No, this time it's a Hollow."

Mel gave a sigh and spat out the pickle she'd found in her burger. She remembered specifically asking for no pickles. Seems she'd have to find the person who made her burger and remind them why getting her order wrong was a bad idea. But for now, she happily munched on the rest of her burger, moaning happily as she did so.

"Our records indicate that this Hollow has been terrorizing the area for the past month, and for some reason, the Shinigami seem to have been ignoring it, for whatever reason. So, rather than have it kill more innocents, your task is to...take care of it in the Shinigami's stead. You have the proper tools for your mission in your pouch, as we made sure to give you some knives coated with some liquid Reishi..."

Mel was starting to tune out Apollo. He always dragged on like this. She wished he'd just get to the point.

"Serpent, are you listening?!"

She was broken out of her musing by a loud voice, followed by some static coming from her ear piece.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Take out the Hollow, go home, wait for further instructions. I know the drill Apollo."

Mel's voice sounded almost vacant, as if she didn't even want to be there, and truth was, she didn't. She'd rather be hunting for some new prey.

"Guess I better get going."

She crumpled up the burger bag and tossed it off the roof before putting her mask back on and pulling her hood up. She walked to the other side of the roof and took a running start as she started jumping from rooftop to rooftop, using the HUD in her mask to guide her to the Hollow.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 am

This was his first time hearing that signature howl in person. It rang out with a palpable sadness. No, it wasn't sadness, but something deeper and far more profound. It cried out in emptiness. It was unsettling, and to be frank, terrifying. As unsettling a creature as this was, none of them could see it. Without a doubt they heard it, but... where was it?

The instructor peeked at his denreishinki, confirming its location as “basically right on top of us,” but then, why couldn't they see the darned thing? Several tense moments passed where they looked at one another, the lot of them in position with their blank swords drawn, poised to strike at a moment's notice.

Karakura was a concrete jungle. Normally that term describes a great sprawling city with buildings in place of trees. In the case of the small, humble settlement of Karakura, it was a mix between actual concrete, and a great many native floras. The place they found themselves was a great park, encroached upon by the modern world. Concrete, meet jungle.

As the would be Shinigami held their positions within the park, some using great tree trunks for cover, while others used bushes, the shadows of the night played tricks on their minds. They were all becoming more and more jumpy as the moments pressed on. Their attention was caught by the crunching of dead leaves just past the trees in a nearby clearing as a great red skinned beast charged toward a cluster of trainees.

“Hold position, fend it off!” their instructor demanded.

As the beast neared and the group began evasive maneuvers, the arm of the monster sprang forth in aggression, passing through one of Shimazu's classmates harmlessly. In the blink of an eye, the form had disappeared.

W-what?! was all he had time to think before a disgusting gurgling filled the empty night air. Spinning on his heel, Shimazu saw his instructor lifted from behind, the ground pooling with blood from a gaping wound in his chest. Sticking out of the womb, a clawed hand.

“Sensei!” Shimazu cried out in grief.

The light had already faded from his eyes. His zanpakuto fell to the ground with an anticlimactic thud. What had happened? Did the creature move so quick it managed to trick their sense of sight? Or was something more devious at play here?

We're gonna die, we're gonna die...!!!
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Sun May 24, 2020 1:23 am

Mel was happy that it was the dead of night, as her jumping from rooftop to rooftop would be quite a sight to see during the day, not that she wouldn't do it during the day either, but it was more fun at night. Less people to see her, and less chance that those idiot cops would try to catch her.

"The Hollow should be just up ahead."

"What do we know about this Hollow?"

Mel spoke in her soft voice, asking a very valid question. While she didn't really care, she did want to at least know of the  type of Hollow they were sending her after.

"Our sources say that it's an Illusion type. Basic class Hollow that probably only became a Hollow fairly recently."

"So it's still mindless and is just running on instinct. Got it. Means this fight should be much smoother than usual."

As Mel approached the park, she saw an unusual sight. There seemed to be a Shinigami nearby, at least judging by the Reiatsu signature her HUD was giving off, along with 8 other signatures of much lower strength.

"Apollo, what am I looking at? I thought you said the Shinigami were ignoring the Hollow?"

"Seems our intel was wrong. Though judging by the feed, they don't seem to be Shinigami."

"Well they're carrying fucking swords like the Shinigami. So you're telling me there's an entirely new group we didn't know about?"

"No, no. Maybe these are students, Shinigami in training...or whatever they'd call them. Just stay out of their way and keep looking for the..."

"Found it."

As she spoke, she saw that the only real Shinigami in the group got taken out by a giant, clawed hand. Looking to her HUD, she saw not one, but at least 3 Hollow signatures, however, two of them were...off somehow. They seemed too static.

"I see what you mean by Illusion-type. Should I intervene, or see what happens?"

"Do what you want. You won't listen to my command anyways."

"You know me too well Apollo."

Mel gave a smirk beneath her mask as she reached into a pouch on her belt and pulled out a kerambit. Jumping off the roof, Mel made a beeline to the trees as she headed to the one signature that seemed to be slightly stronger than the others.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Sun May 24, 2020 2:06 am

“What should we do? We should fall back, we can't handle it!” someone in his class shouted. All eyes were now trained on the hulking monstrosity that took out their instructor. With a flourish the hollow flung the dead Shinigami to the ground, into a pool of his own broth. When the body hit the ground, one of the female students yelped.

“Shimazu! Shimazu!! Snap out of it, we've got to get out of here!” He noticed one of his classmates had grabbed him by the shoulder and was shaking him.

R-right.... out of here. We're gonna get out of here.” He was still spaced out.

“Come on! You sword is the only one that can open the gate! Stop messing around!” Well, that was true, wasn't it? Their swords were blanks – asauchi, a sword without a spirit –  and his was an ancestral blade passed down from generation to generation. Whatever process bequeathed a zanpakuto with the capacity to open the senkaimon had already taken place with his own sword. Of course, they could always recover their instructor's sword.

But that thing stood between them and their fallen instructor. Using Shimazu's sword made the most sense, and was the most practical. They shouldn't leave him, though, should they? He was, until recently, alive. He had friends, he had family. People cared about him. Was it right to let him sit there, surely to be eaten by that monster?

The beast stared at them, its beady yellow eyes piercing their forms. It stood impossibly still, perhaps contemplating its next course of action.

“Shimazu!!”

No!” he snapped, coming back to his senses. “We're not going anywhere!
“Idiot, do you want to die or not?”
Think! What do you think would happen to us if we returned to Seireitei in this state? We'd be alive, but we'd be the laughing stock of the graduating class. To run from our mortal enemies, our tails between our legs. I'll tell you what, I'd rather be dead than be called a coward!” He said it, but did he believe it? His legs were trembling. What could they do?

Three forms, all of the same beast, charged at the group. The students sprang into action, beginning evasive maneuvers.

It appears it can split its form into physical and non-physical forms! Treat all of them like they're the real one! Don't let it get near you!” The nagging thought I have no idea what I'm doing, I have no idea what I'm doing! echoed in his head.

“Protect Shimazu! Don't let that butterfly end up compromised! They're our ticket home!”

The group danced through the park, bobbing, weaving, and launching themselves from branch to branch as they began a life or death game of cat and mouse.

Up ahead, form up on me! Jiro, hold its attention! Trust me!” he pointed to a small clearing surrounded by a large metal fence. The humans called it a baseball field. The group raced toward the pitcher's mound, Shimazu at the center, three of his classmates on either side of him. His hand stiffened, his pointer and middle fingers raised, the others folded inward toward his palm.

Together!!

The three beasts converged on Jiro, who raised his blade in defense. Two claws phased through him, and a third clutched at his exposed neck. A powerful arm gripped the young would-be Shinigami, and raised him from the ground. The hollow howled a second time, opening its great maw. It was going to eat him!

Halt, ye black dog of Rodanini,” their voices echoed in unison, guided by Shimazu. “may horror and shame consume ye! Bakudo 4, Hainawa!” as a group, with outstretched hands, a golden cord of shimmering energy erupted, whipping around in a semicircle, its trajectory guided by Shimazu. With a shout, he pointed his fingers toward the beast, and the cord ripped through the air, winding round and round the hollow until its arms bound tightly at its side.

Jiro was pressed firmly against the hollow's chest. Seizing the opportunity, it bit into the trainee's shoulder. Jiro's cries echoed throughout the park. Shimazu and his classmates grimaced.

Don't kill him...! We're coming, Jiro!

We have him right where we want him! Quick, while he's distracted, attack!
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Sun May 24, 2020 2:35 am

Mel sprinted over, making sure to stay just out of sight of the students. She held her kerambit at a ready position, should any of them notice her.

"Serpent, what's the situation?"

"The students seem to be putting up a good fight. But I don't think the fight will go in their favor. They seem too...green..."

She stared over at the bloody corpse of what was a Shinigami, and could feel herself moisten with pleasure. She'd have to go inspect the corpse later, for now, she had to focus on either taking out the Hollow, or letting the Hollow kill these would-be Shinigami. So, she had a choice to make.

Should she help them? She didn't think she'd get anything in return, so she didn't really think it was worth the risk. Or, should she wait and see what happened? See if the Hollow either took out the group, or if the group took out the Hollow, which would royally piss her off as it would take away Mel's current prey.

Decisions decisions. She decided waiting around wouldn't hurt, but if she waited too long...there it was. The students started to actually gain the upper hand. They cast one of their fancy spells and bound the Hollow, however one of the students had gotten a little too close. Mel gave a smile as one of the students, she presumed the leader of the group, gave the order to attack. This was when Mel made her presence known.

Dashing out from behind the bushes, Mel used her kerambit to slash at the Hollow's ankles, attempting to sever the tendons, or whatever passed as the tendons as Hollows never did stay around long enough to be dissected. While she did that, she pulled out a dagger from her bag and jammed it into the Hollow's back. Blood spurted from the wounds, making Melinda smirk beneath her mask, as the Hollow gave a roar of what could only be assumed to be a mix of pain and anger. Bound as it was, all it could do was fall forward, crushing the student bound to it beneath its great weight.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Sun May 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Out of nowhere, a form emerged from the darkness. Wielding a small handheld blade, the figure severed the tendons in the Hollow’s legs. For a moment, it struggled to stand upright. A pitiful whinny later, and the thing fell to the ground with a resounding boom.

Jiro!! No!

Shimazu closed the distance between the pitcher’s mound and where the beast fell in a single step, peeling his blade from its scabbard along the way. His companions were in tow behind him, blades at the ready. His concentration faltered, allowing the beast enough leeway to break its binding. It rolled to its side, unable to stand, leaving Jiro exposed.

The boy was unconscious, drenched in blood. Was he dead? Hard to tell.

In a surprising display of coordination, the students blades slipped through the air one after the other. The beast rolled and evaded a number of the initial strikes, but their combined efforts proved too much for the beast to stave off forever. A slash across the chest, a lopped off finger, and a crack of the mask later, the would be Shinigami managed to turn the tide in their favor.

The wounds on the Hollow seemed to bubble and boil, audibly sizzling. Weakly, it stood upright once more, and seemed to contemplate whether to continue its battle with forces that have now clearly outmaneuvered and temporarily outmatched it.

It began its retreat. Shimazu would not allow it.

Ye lord! Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south!” This time, he relied only on his own power.

Hadō 32: Shakkahō!

A blast of red hot energy shot from his joined hands, tearing through the distance between himself and the retreating monster. It turned its head, anticipating some form of retaliation. A mighty leap spared it the all encompassing destruction of the blast, which collided spectacularly into one of the many trees that decorated the park. It’s illusions sprang to life, and it weaves through the trees and into the concrete jungle ahead, disappearing from sight.

It had got away, for now.

Jiro...!

He raced over to his fallen, barely living, ally. He fell to his knees, checking Jiro’s pulse. Two other students peeled him from the ground, wrapping his arms around their shoulders. They’d drag him home! While they did this, two others recovered the corpse of their dead instructor. They looked back to Shimazu, anticipating his opening of the Senkai Gate.

He’s get to that, in due time.

Come out from the shadows!” Shimazu demanded. “ I’d like to offer my thanks to the one who came to our aid!
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 pm

Melinda watched as the would-be Shinigami attacked the Hollow, however, their attacks were much too shallow to deal permanent damage. Her musing was proven correct as soon enough, even after another spell was cast, the Hollow ran into the trees. Mel weighed her options of chasing after it, however, before she could even consider doing so, she was called out by the "leader" of the would-be Shinigami.

"Tch."

"Serpent, I advise you to hold your position."

"No use doing so, they already know where I'm at, and even these greens could take me just with their numbers."

Mel casually walked out from the shadows, the grays of her outfit a muted contrast to the bright white that the would-be Shinigami wore. She walked right over to the "leader". He was easily a foot taller than her, so she barely came up to his chest, however, she didn't let that intimidate her. She'd dealt with people much bigger and burlier than him, and after all...the bigger they were...

"So...Shinigami...why'd you let the Hollow escape?"

Her voice was filtered through the mask to sound deeper than her own voice actually was, both as a precaution to hide her identity, and because Mel had specifically requested it after watching one too many sci-fi movies.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 pm

“Huh, are you friggin kiddin me?” Another of his classmates spoke up. Fuman, class star. Always knew the answer, aced all the tests, written and physical. Had a solution for everything, always in the lead. Uncharacteristically silent until now.

“That thing’s out of our league! You want us to march to our deaths? After it...! After... what it did to...” his voice trailed off. He knew how serious the situation was, and it shook him to the core. His life was, after all, in danger.

Fuman, she’s right.

“What? Are you serious Shimazu? Are you insane! You saw—“

Fuman, she’s right.” he pulled his sword from its scabbard, the hiss filling the space between them all. He acknowledged the woman. She wasn’t like anything he’d ever encountered before. Much less read about. How did she get the edge against something like that? When the lot of them had trouble doing as they had! She was mortal, after all...

With a stroke, he buried his blade into the realm, the length of the blade submerged in a  place in between. A moment later, the door between worlds appeared. He released the jigokucho to Fuman’s care. He was right, if they stayed they’d surely die. He looked back to the human, his resolve visible hardening.

Get them back home safely. I’m going to take care of the hollow.

He went to the couple who were carrying the instructor and lifted the denreishinki from his personage. The looks on his classmates faces were ones of shock and guilt. He said nothing more as he stepped across the field and joined with the human woman. The further he got from them, the more he felt the tension grow. No more words were exchanged between them, and by the time he got to where he was going, he turned to see that had left him. The jigokucho he gave to them, his only means of returning home safely, and they took it with hardly a fight.

She was much smaller than him, but he felt within her a swirling pool of grief. Something about her was significant, besides her comparable strength, and he felt of this moment somehow defining in his coming tenure as a shinigami.

We can track it down with this. Are you in?
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 am

She turned and cocked her head to the side as she stared at the student who had spoken up. Her green eyes, or the green eyes of her mask, glowing in the night. She'd done this before, she knew the risks. If these students were afraid to die, then why bother becoming a Shinigami after all? Dying was part of the job. Mel knew that, and she hated it, but there was nothing she could do.

She wanted to catch them before they took the corpse, but instead, held her stare upon the students as they left. She casually thought to herself.

"Man...I wish I'd gotten a finger off of him before I came to attack the Hollow..."

She stared back up at the other student as he spoke to the others. At least this one knew what was at stake. It was here that Linda decided to show her ugly mug. To anyone else, they would see nothing, however, to Mel, a second figure appeared next to the student's leader. A young blonde woman who, even after two years of having her in Mel's mind, never could see her face, a soft blur being in its place.

"You know this person will only get in the way."

Mel would look at the apparition, a smile forming beneath her mask.

"I'm counting on it."

She would then look back to the leader of the students and give a polite nod.

"Of course I'm in...they call me Serpent..."

She didn't bother extending her hand and just started skipping carefree in the direction the Hollow had run. According to her HUD, it was still nearby. By her guess, it was healing its wounds, but god only knew what Hollows did when they weren't hunting souls.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 am

You can call me Shimazu. That’s what they call me.

His heart was pounding in his chest. They really left him behind, didn’t they? Those self centered jerks! On an inhale, he centered himself and pulled the device to his face. He input a few commands and the tracker showed up, a solid red dot showing exactly where they wanted to go.

It’s this way, follow me.” He began at a light pace and began maneuvers that took him at first from tree to tree, to then tree to building in pursuit of the illusionist hollow. His focus shifted from outward to inward as he moved, a disorienting feeling of betrayal and paranoia slowly overtaking him.

He signed up for this, though. If he wouldn’t risk his life as a student, how could he risk his life as a shinigami?

I apologize for my... friends,” it was a lie. They weren’t his friends, and he didn’t vouch for them. He was sorry for them that they didn’t have what it takes to be a real shinigami. He would show them.
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Wed May 27, 2020 10:25 pm

Mel gave a smile beneath her mask. This one was serious. He'd be fun to hang around for a while. If he weren't a man, she'd probably enjoy his company a little more, but, beggars couldn't be choosers, and she had a job to do.

"Don't bother. They're too green to know that a Hollow like this one is just running on basic instinct, hence why its so...hard to deal with. It's just coming in onto itself and is just running wild."

She mused out loud as she ran to catch up to the man, a soft scraping sound being heard after each of her footfalls. In truth, she would have no chance of catching up to the male, but being a Fullbringer came with its benefits, one of those being the ability to pull souls from anything, including the air. She used that to give herself bursts of speed in order to catch up to the male, but theorized based on his gait, her small stature and lower center of gravity, she could probably go much faster than him, however, she kept at an even pace with him, deciding now wasn't the time to show off.

"It probably just had its first feeding a few weeks ago and just got back into the hunger."

As she spoke, she eyed the man. Tall as he was, he was extremely slender, almost dangerously so. He probably weighed a couple more pounds than her, and she was on the slim side as well, mostly due to being malnourished her entire life, but also due to her athleticism.

"It's coming up. I'll follow your lead here."

As she spoke, she reached into her back, replacing her kerambit with a pair of two inch long daggers holding each in one of her hands. Each dagger had a kind of blue, ethereal glow in the darkness, a signature of weapons coated and molded using liquid reishi.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Thu May 28, 2020 1:13 am

Along they went, the ragtag pairing they were. Into the town itself, taking to the tops of buildings, light poles, and all other manner of footholds with which to best avoid Melinda’s exposure in that way those with living flesh bodies do. Couldn’t there be an easier way? He bode his time until their chase brought them to a secluded niche in the town.

Do you trust me, Serpent? Aren’t you worried that you may be seen?
"If I'd been seen, Apollo...my handler...would have mentioned something and I'd have been pulled."

Fair point. After all, she was so far remarkable as far as a mortal was concerned. Their pursuit continued for a short distance, Shimazu continually looking to and from his tracking device. They came upon it as it prowled from rooftop to rooftop, looking either for vulnerable prey or a refuge that would offer him the means to squeeze through dimensions and back to safety. When finally the beast came in sight, he reasoned it was far enough away that if he could catch its attention from afar, Melinda may have plenty of room to spring into action and do some real damage. He pulled his thumb into his palm and aimed his hand in the beast’s direction.

Ye lord! Mask of flesh and bone, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Truth and temperance, upon this sinless wall of dreams unleash but slightly the wrath of your claws! Hadō #33. Sōkatsui!”

Blue flames erupted from his open palm, closing the gap between himself and the hollow, who turned to face the blast as it came. The attack slammed into its form and a thick blanket of black smoke engulfed its proximity. From the resulting blanket of smoke two charged hollow forms emerged. He jumped to the side, trying to keep the attention of the two forms so Melinda could set herself up. If he could only hit one of the two, then he had a fifty fifty chance of hitting the real one. Those weren’t the worst odds.

Hah!”

A second, incantationless blast erupted from his still readied palm. It slammed against its target, a single form defiantly emerging from the second, smaller blanket of smoke. He was overdoing it, the strain on his body of casting three ascending level spells in a single outing palpable. He wasn’t sure how much he had left in him, and the beast was upon him in no time at all. He evaded its claws, dropping his soul pager in the process. He stepped back from the attacking hollow and saw as the thing tumbled toward the ground, shattering to tiny little pieces.

Damnit...!

His only means of contacting the Soul Society had plummeted to the ground, rendered most likely irreparable. Was he trapped here now? Did that just happen??
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Thu May 28, 2020 9:48 pm

Melinda smiled beneath her mask. They were upon the beast, but, just as she was going to strike, the would-be Shinigami cast one of their fancy spells. Melinda had never understood how those worked, but she imagined it had to do with reishi, as everything else did. One of these days, she wanted to dissect a Shinigami, to understand exactly how they were able to channel those spells while the living weren't.

For now, however, she had more pressing matters. She heard something hit the ground below them, and looked down to see...a flip phone? Those hadn't been around for god knows how long. She left the battle scene for just a minute to be able to pocket the remains of the phone before looking back up to see that the beast, at least she assumed, took the advantage to slash at her with one of their giant claws.

She moved to dodge it, and did, for the most part, but frowned as her mask fell away in pieces, revealing her face not only to Shimazu, but also to anyone who could be watching. She heard Apollo in her earpiece.

"Serpent! That's enough! Back out of there, now!"

"No. I'm not going to let this Hollow escape, not when we're so close."

Her voice came out in its normal tone, as it wasn't being filtered through the mask. Her voice had a distinctly soft tone to it, but held something else in it, something akin to great sadness.

"Besides, I'm not going to leave Shimazu here alone. I may hate that he's a male, but I'm not just going to leave him to die."

She grabbed at her earpiece and stuffed it into one of her pouches so that Apollo couldn't try to talk her out of it more.

"Now then...shall we finish this?"

She dashed up one of the rooftops, not realizing that without her mask, her hood had fallen down as well, leaving her hair to blow in the wind.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Thu May 28, 2020 10:19 pm

As he continued to evade the hollow, it took notice of the human woman who had taken to the safety of the ground. Couldn’t she step on the air as he was? What was she doing down there, anyway? No matter, if it weren’t for her grabbing the thing’s attention, there’s no telling how many wounds he’d have ended up covered being covered in.  

It wasn’t really that the hollow possessed great strength. Rather, the fact it acted upon instinct, without complex planning. It did what felt right, and had been mostly successful in fending off threats no matter the numbers it was faced with. Unrelenting, and resilient. Shimazu took notice the wounds dealt to him earlier by the Serpent — the wounded heels — bore no discernible damage, and its gait corrected.

Either it would be forced to retreat, and slip away as a result, or it would exhaust them as it continued to heal wound after wound. Hollows had to be taken out quick, is what he remembered reading, otherwise they would continue to heal until it’s they had exhausted their opponent. He pulled his sword and steadied himself.

The human’s face was fully exposed by now, her black hair spilling out into the night, caught in the breeze. This was about more than his instructor, wasn’t it? The others had been too quick to realize the situation, hadn’t they? As an agent of the afterlife, the sole reason he had become a shinigami in the first place, it was his oath to protect the world’s balance, humankind an extension of that mission. As a living mortal, he had to protect her from those that would threaten her living soul.

He hadn’t noticed until this moment, but they had an attracted an audience of crows to the scene. They sat along rooftops, power lines, in the trees, and wherever else they could find a place to sit and watch. Still, more curiously, they all appeared to be watching Shimazu intently. Could they see him, in his unliving body of reishi? How were they looking at him? What was it they saw? He felt a sudden surge of determination, and the audience of crows cawed in concert with his movements. Curious...

With his sword at the ready, and the beast occupied with the living woman, he took a single step and returned to the ground, his form bent at the knees and directly behind the attacking hollow, his blade at his hip, gripped with both hands and poised for an upward arc. In a single swing, he lopped the attacking arm of the beast’s at the shoulder. The severed clawed arm fall to the ground with a thud. He continued his assault with a lunge of his swordtowards the base of its skull. He held his blade for a moment, finding the task more difficult than he’d imagined, and pulled the sword upward, dividing the head in two.
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 pm

As Melinda stepped back to avoid the swipe, she saw the Shinigami bold downwards and prepare for a swing. As he did so, Melinda readied her blades.

When he swung upwards, Melinda stabbed her blades into the beasts shoulders, using her own weight to drag the blades downwards. While Shimazu's blade split the hollow down the middle, Melinda's blades made the Hollow's arms unusable should the attack not kill it. However, as she was about to read his hands, the beast started to disintegrate. It seemed that Shimazu's attack was enough to kill the beast.

Melinda smiled a little as some of the Hollow's blood splattered onto her. The smile was not a normal smile, and anyone who saw it could tell it was the smile of someone not all there, however, she had her mask...HER MASK!

She reached her hands up and felt just her bare face. Part of the Hollow was still there, so she quickly grabbed at her dagger and started repeatedly stabbing into it.

"How! Dare! You! Break! My! Mask!"

Her last word was met with her dagger hitting the concrete below as the Hollow completely evaporated. She quickly looked around for the remains of her mask and picked them up. The mask wasn't recoverable. She rarely lost masks on her jobs, but it did happen, and the replacements always came out of her paycheck. She'd have to kill someone tonight to make up for the loss.

Perhaps the clerk who'd given her a pickle in her burger after she specifically requested no pickles...she mused to herself, unaware of the situation Shimazu found themselves in.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Fri May 29, 2020 11:55 pm

If I may, I prefer you without it,” he offered, respectfully. He slid his blade back into its scabbard and regained his composure. You know, to do his best to not give all shinigami everywhere a bad reputation. Really, he was quite weak at the knees.

You’re quite remarkable, Serpent. I would be out of line to not thank you for a second time,” he said as he bowed deeply in a display of gratitude. There were many questions he wanted to ask her; to poke and prod at her and study her. Was she Quincy? Weren’t they extinct? Could she be something different? No, that wouldn’t be appropriate. Besides, there were more pressing matters at hand for Shimazu.

Despite the gravity of the situation he found himself in, he managed to keep calm and do little to arouse suspicion within the woman, at least he hoped so. He avoided eye contact with her, turning his head so she remained solely in his peripheral vision, as she obviously wasn’t keen on being seen. He allowed her the privacy she obviously wanted.
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melinda Apollinariya Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:49 pm

"I..."

For once she was at a loss for words. People had complimented her before, usually at knife point. But rarely had she ever felt someone compliment her and...actually mean it. She would twirl her knives before putting them away, casually pulling her hood up to hide her scarred and battered face, a small smile crossing her lips as she did so.

"Thank you. And you shouldn't thank me...if I'd had my way, I'd have gotten some more blood out of the mix."

She would casually turn around to face Shimazu, her outfit and face still covered in the Hollow's blood.

"But this little bit works. Soon I'll have a new addition to add to Mr Snuggums."

The small smile was quickly replaced by one of innocence, however there was also a hint of madness behind the smile, as no truly sane person could smile as she did while covered in blood, especially not the blood of a fresh kill.

"Still...I wish I could have at least gotten a finger from that Shinigami you came with..."

She was speaking absentmindedly, as if in a daze. Truth was, she did wish she'd gotten some plaything from tonight's mission. She hated the easy ones, and this one was fairly easy, especially after getting help.
Melinda Apollinariya
Melinda Apollinariya

Back to top Go down

Post by Shimazu Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:16 am

On his person he had a hand carved wooden badge identifying him as one of the Seireitei’s distinguished noble families. He produced this item and held it out in his hand, offering it to the woman. Somewhere in the distance, a crow cawed.

Well, it’s not a finger, but maybe it is something,” he said uneasily. He offered the item honestly, if for no other reason than to incentivize or maybe facilitate a second meeting with this woman, Serpent. “That badge bears my family name, Shimazu. I pass it along to you in the hopes that one day, we will meet again. Unfortunately, I must return home. Thank you again for your help,” he bowed deeply again. He acted composed, confident, and offered little insight into his current plight. He was terrified. He had no idea how to even begin getting home. But he couldn’t, and wouldn’t, let her in on that sad fact.

A series of flash steps took him as far as he could muster. One after the other he stepped until he was far, far away from her. With such an otherwise unremarkable pool of reiatsu he had, he was sure that the likelihood of him being successfully tracked by the time he stopped to rest were low. Ideally, she would forget about him and leave him to his dread and shame. Maybe, somehow, he would cross paths with another shinigami that could take him home. Frustrated, humiliated, and sad, he held back tears as he walked now, alone.
Shimazu
Shimazu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down