Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The True Nature of a Soul [Solo]

Go down

The True Nature of a Soul [Solo] Empty The True Nature of a Soul [Solo]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:07 pm

The Shinigami floated in a sea of darkness. He was meditating with his Zanpakuto. Jinzen it was called. He’d been doing it for a while now, he’d first attempted it after getting back to the Soul Society after the mortal lady had saved his life. Nothing had happened, in fact he was unable to engage the conversations for a while after that with just the odd conversation occurring usually when the Spirit was interested in something.

To the point that he had begun to wonder if the Spirit could hear him just fine but just ignored him unless it felt like it. Still she hadn’t even given him her name yet and simply kept telling him that it would happen when the time was right. The odd dream had been filled with her voice but again he couldn’t see her nor could he get her to give him much information about her nature as a Zanpakuto.

He’d tried to use Jinzen to enter what was referred to as a Zanpakuto’s “Inner World”, a place within a Shinigami’s Soul or perhaps simply their Mind where the Spirit dwelt. Within such a place the Spirit and Soul Reaper could come face to face to commune.

Well unless his Spirit’s Inner World was an infinite void then bingo! He’d managed it in one! This was the best he’d managed, similar to the darkness he’d floated in before waking up in the Mortal Doctor’s office.

Floating without form in the abyss was dull and the Shinigami sighed, or at least he mentally sighed, wondering what he was doing wrong.

Suddenly he saw light, a faint red glow, which got Zenji’s attention immediately. The glow warped into the vague outline of a woman just like that first time. It was her!

The outline floated closer to the man. It was a gentle warmth against Zenji’s flesh except as time went by the warmth grew hotter, too hot.

“I think it’s time...” said the outline reaching towards him with hot Spiritual Power rushing over and through him.

Zenji reached out and took her hand, as soon as he touched her the heat immediately became an unpleasant chill.

‘Why now? He wondered.

“Because you have listened to me, taken my advice. With the Hollows, with the Quincy and even with your fellow Shinigami. You have proven yourself to me. Now let me prove myself to you.”

The cold washed around Zenji, freezing him sending nausea through the nobleman just as red light enveloped and blinded him.

Then suddenly.

Nothing.

Zenji opened his eyes and found himself kneeling in a Shrine. It was impeccably tidy with a dedication to the Soul King at the rear of the Hall and with various tenants of the Balance hanging from the walls. Outside the windows he could see a beautiful garden and, beyond, endless bamboo forests.

After a few seconds of looking around suddenly a red outline began to form kneeling not far from him. His sword spirit. She pulsed and her form warped then with a flash of light there sat a woman. The woman was young with long dark hair and flawless pale skin, her eyes shone with golden light and she was dressed in the robes of a Shrine Maiden.

She smiled, her beauty radiant, as she bowed to her partner. At her waist was a golden dagger.

“Welcome Master Hatayama. I am your Zanpakuto, you may call me Fukujin.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

The True Nature of a Soul [Solo] Empty Re: The True Nature of a Soul [Solo]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:53 pm

The emotions the Soul Reaper was experiencing was almost impossible to measure. Joy seemed to faint a term. Even bliss was looking a little weak at this moment. Over a Century and a half since graduating the academy, a Century since joining the Gotei, and all the lack of growth since. He had been a nothing for so long, a failure, yet now here he was. He was finally able to imagine reaching towards the first milestone that marked a Shinigami as having the skill to truly support the duties and responsibilities of the Gotei Divisions.

More than that his Spirit was beautiful, kind and caring towards him, her Inner World spoke of peace and tranquility so surely his Shikai’s power would be equally glorious. It was perfect, it was…

Wrong.

The thought struck him, a tone of discord in what should have been a sea of peace, he frowned as he looked around. What was wrong?

“Zenji?” Fukujin asked, even looking worried about him she somehow managed to be even more beautiful. “Are you okay?”

The Soul Reaper smiled. “Yes I...”

Fukujin. Gods of Good Fortune? Why did that strike him as so…

He couldn’t even conjure up the correct term to describe what was wrong it was… it was as if he was looking at the world through a crystal which slightly distorted the world before him. He was here, the Spirit was here but something was wrong.

Zenji reached out.

“Zenji?”

His fingers closed as if grabbing something.

“What are you doing?!?” the voice was different, higher, panicked.

Zenji flexed his Spiritual Power and began to drag his hand through the air. It was like using Noren Mekuri. He didn’t know why he did this, he wasn’t sure what, but he moved on pure instinct.

“STOP! NOW!” shrieked the Spirit leaping towards him.

It was like pulling away the curtain, a fake reality was being torn aside, and the truth that lay beyond was revealing itself. The Spirit was still screaming at him but she was too much a part of the illusion to stop him now and her current form was being shattered alongside the falsehood that had tried to trick Zenji. Shattering just like glass.

Zenji blinked, the uneasy feeling fading, to be replaced by something fast approaching dread.

He was still in a Shrine but it was dilapidated, old, as if long abandoned and that someone had trashed it in the meantime. Instead of a dedication to the Soul King the shattered Shrine seemed to be for worshipping some dark, malicious, entity. Looking out the window he saw the shattered yard of the Shrine and beyond was nothing but endless black fog. Then there was the Spirit, no longer kneeling in front of him, but standing but a few feet away. She was the same woman but her skin was a criss-cross of scars and burns, her eyes were gleaming crimson and her priestess robes were torn and damaged much like the wearer. Her expression was the worst change however. Warmth had been replaced by burning hatred.

“How?” she snarled “How did you know?”

Zenji stood slowly, trying not to draw her anger any further. He might be within his own mind but he had read stories of Shinigami being damaged by their own malicious Zanpakuto in attempts to force them to obey. He had no idea how true such stories were but Zenji rather liked his mind and didn’t want to risk it unnecessarily.

He shifted into a defensive stance as he met her burning gaze. “This is my mind too Spirit.”

The woman took a step forward, her every movement a threat of violence as she hissed. “Don’t toy with me.”

It was quicker than Zenji could follow, it was like a flash step but far quicker than anything the Shinigami could follow. The woman had him by the throat and was slamming him into the wall, pinning him easily with her vast strength. “How?” this time she spoke quietly but if anything it was only more intimidating.

“Your… name… it was too wrong.” he gasped as she choked him.

Red eyes flashed angrily as she tightened her grip. “You don’t even know my name!”

Zenji reached for an incantation to smite the rebellious Zanpakuto but instead something else came to his lips. “You are no spirit of good fortune Binbōgami.”

Binbōgami’s eyes widened in shock and she dropped the Shinigami taking a few steps backwards before she cursed before turning and kicked the remnants of a broken table.

Sliding down the wall Zenji coughed as he massaged his throat. Once he could talk again he spoke, albeit hoarsely “How did I know that?”

Turning to glare balefully in his direction the Spirit answered with vicious resentment.  “I let you get too close. We are two parts of the same soul after all. Letting you in here was a miscalculation, touching you was worse one. I fucked up!”

Zenji blinked in surprise. This was nothing like the Spirit he’d been speaking to all this time.

Staying sitting on the ground the Soul Reaper closed his eyes as Binbōgami continued to fume around the ruined Shrine occasionally spitting out a curse. Best to let her exhaust her anger then he could ask for answers.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:48 pm

What felt like nearly half an hour passed, although who could say within this World, before Zenji couldn’t hear the Spirits angry shouts and general crashing around the area with bad temper. So he waited for another little while before finally opening his eyes. The Spirit was nowhere in sight. Zenji pushed himself to his feet and strode to the door. The Shrine sat upon a rise and overlooked the “temple grounds” or at least what constituted such an area in this twisted dark realm. Even the sky was filled with dark clouds with no glimpse of the sky beyond. It was a dark and unpleasant place.

Zenji had never imagined that this would be his inner world. The prior version had been more or less what he’d expected, he thought it would be a realm of tranquility not this miserable realm. What the hell was wrong with his Soul to produce something like this? He could see Binbōgami, tall and strong in her ragged robes, at the bottom of the steps staring into what appeared to be the impenetrable black fog. Taking a deep breath the nobleman steeled his resolve and walked down the steps towards her. Upon reaching the woman he stood quietly behind her for nearly a full minute before gathering the courage to step up beside her. The two stood side by side for a few minutes longer while Zenji tried to think of something to say, something that wouldn’t anger the Spirit.

The woman glanced sideways down at him and sighed irritably. “Always so hesitant, always so cautious… this is why you disgust me Zenji.”

The Soul Reaper couldn’t really say anything to that. She was right after all however his silence seemed to just anger the woman all the more. “What do you want? Why haven’t you left?” she asked heatedly.

Shrugging he kept his gaze on the pitch black haze. “I want to know. Why deceive me? Pretending to be someone else every time we spoke and even making the illusion.”

Binbōgami sneered. “Because you’re naive. You think you’re benevolent but you’re just weak. You listened to me because you thought I had the same weakness. If I can told you what I really thought you’d have run away, just like you run away from everything that scares you.” The tall woman, at least a few inches taller than Zenji, turned on him and smirked. “Think about how much you’ve grown lately. Why? Me. My pushing you. Without me you are nothing. I had to deceive you to force you to grow.”

Again the Soul Reaper couldn’t think of any argument. A Century of being nothing, doing nothing had proven that already. “So you still want to help me?” he asked eventually, his tone hesitant.

The woman smiled, a cruel smile on her lips. “Oh yes. Your power is my power dear Zenji. Of course I want you to be stronger because I want to be stronger.”

She reached out and the nobleman flinched but she simply ran a hand down his cheek gently, as a lover might, however as her fingers ran down his jawline she suddenly gripped her chin tightly. Painfully. “So keep listening to me my dear partner.” she said softly with all the gentleness of a venomous serpent. “And I shall not only make you stronger but I shall help you survive the likes of Watari. Just as I did when you floated on the edge of death, just as I did when you lost your nerve against the Hollow and later when you almost lost your little mind. Just as I did when you panicked after discovering the Quincy. Again and again I shall save you, you just have to do as I say… how about that?”

Zenji tried to pull away but her fingers were like a vice. Ignored the main he mumbled an agreement.

“Good. Now go away.” she said putting on the same kind voice she’d used up until this point. Shoving Zenji he fell backwards into the black fog…

… and awoke kneeling in the garden of his Estate with sweat running down his face.

Breathing heavily Zenji reached for his Staff on the ground before him but paused, a feeling reluctant to touch it after having seen the true face of his Spirit. For a moment he contemplated abandoning it, he was a Demon Arts Master after all but in that moment Nao’s Shikai flickered into his mind, Watari’s smoke based power… he didn’t want to fall behind anymore. Grabbing the Staff he could have sworn he could hear cold laughter and he pushed himself to his feet and walked back to his Estate, much more disturbed than he had been when he entered the gardens this morning.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Akimoto Tetsuya likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down