Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teaching Wolves New Tricks [Yuki/Closed]

2 posters

Go down

Teaching Wolves New Tricks [Yuki/Closed] Empty Teaching Wolves New Tricks [Yuki/Closed]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:56 pm

Hatayama Clan Estate
Seireitei
Soul Society

-------------------------------------

How had it come to this? It had only been a few days since Zenji had to host a Clan Head at his Estate and he was already preparing for a second such guest albeit for a far different reason. He’d been more or less informed by a superior, who claimed the request had come from somewhere higher up the chain of command, that it was requested that he accept the request to train a young Shinigami in some basic Kido techniques. At first it had had considered rejecting the request. Zenji did not exactly have much experience teaching however when the name came through he had no choice.

The name was one of those listed on the document from Watari who had "requested" that he assist anyone on said list. So in the end he had accepted, after all he had little other choice in the matter. What he had not expected was how… unique the individual in question would be. Lady Yuki of Clan Kameko. So with a bit of administrative magic and, well, stealing a glance at a personnel record he definitely didn’t have permission to view his suspicions were confirmed. The Kamekos were a Noble Family, no doubt that being where he had heard the name before, but interestingly they were referred to as a “beast” Clan. Zenji knew little about such things whether it was the product of a curse like the stories said or if they were simply a different form of soul. However Zenji had met a few over the years, visitors to the Hatayama Gardens and Shrine, he had found such men and women to be no more or less monstrous than every other Soul in the Seireitei. He’d never really understood the discrimination against such folk, Hell, even looking at the photo in Yuki’s records showed the girl certainly looked cute regardless of her atypical physical traits.

What worried him more was that she was apparently a warrior of the Fifth, those Shinigami were always such utter pains in the ass. Far too quick to anger and a bit too happy to spill blood in Zenji’s experience. Of all the Squads that was certainly the one he wanted the least to do with. What was more from the various notes on Yuki’s records she was particularly ferocious.

‘Well I had best not piss her off.’ he thought to himself with some rather cynical humour.

Still what could he do?

So he’d set the appointment for the Hatayama Family Estate for noon and had spent the majority of the morning setting up one of the courtyards, far away from anything flammable or expensive, with a few targets to be used for basic Hado practice.

Once he was done Zenji, dressed in his Shinigami uniform today albeit still wearing prayer beads around his wrist and prayer cloth draped over his shoulders, lifted his Zanpakuto and crossed to a stone step where he sat down to wait for his guest. While waiting he called over a household maid and asked her to bring him a pot of tea with two cups so he could serve his guest upon her arrival.

Last edited by Zenji Hatayama on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Teaching Wolves New Tricks [Yuki/Closed] Empty Re: Teaching Wolves New Tricks [Yuki/Closed]

Post by Yuki Kameko Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Kido. While Yuki was a purely combat-orientated member of the fifth division she held no distaste for the art. It was very useful! Sure, some of them ended fights way too quickly, but it was still a very important skill to learn.

Unfortunately it had always been her greatest weakness. Decades had been spent attempting to learn the art. She had memorized incantations, practiced the most efficient hand movements, and even had some proper hands-on training with a private instructor! However despite everything that she had tried Yuki could never summon forth even the most basic of kido.

However she had never fully given up on learning to use the demonic arts. These days she focused more on other ventures, trained her body and set aside studying, but occasionally she would find herself enough time and interest to seek out assistance in learning to use kido. After all it was entirely possible that she had just not been ready before! For some reason!

Today's lesson was to be hosted by one Zenji Hatayama. She didn't really know much about him other than the fact that he was well versed in the ways of kido. Also he was a noble. She hadn't attempted to learn under him yet. What did she have to lose?

My freedom. I doubt he'll be like Watari though. He might even be a kind noble. I guess we'll just have to see. Although I do wonder why he wanted the training to be here.

The Hatayama Estate was pleasant enough. It was certainly larger than her estate, but then most other noble estates were. She was led inside towards one of the courtyards. Upon arrival she finally got a good look at her soon to be teacher.

He looks calm. That will help. But we will see how long it lasts.

Indeed, she had frustrated plenty of teacher in the past! But then she also ended up growing frustrated with her own failures. The others thus far had given up on her. She really couldn't blame them for it.

The little wolf quietly approached, lowering her upper body in a respectful bow when she neared the man. She too wore her uniform, as was proper in this instance. Currently her tail rested at her waist, curled around her body like one big fluffy sash. Of course she still had her zanpakuto too, as was tradition for anyone within the fifth division.

"Hello. I am Yuki Kameko. I am here to receive training in the demonic arts."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Teaching Wolves New Tricks [Yuki/Closed] Empty Re: Teaching Wolves New Tricks [Yuki/Closed]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Zenji glanced up as he heard footfalls indicating the arrival of his guest. Nodding his thanks to the servant that had accompanied the Shinigami to show her the way Zenji set aside his cup of tea onto the tray that had been brought to him only a few minutes ago. Smiling politely at the girl he noted she looked just like the image in the file he had read except he had been unaware of the presence of a tail, the personnel picture had only been a headshot. He wondered how varied such bestial traits were amongst the clans and how extreme they could become.

Well those were wonderings for another time.

Pushing himself to his feet Zenji returned the bow respectfully. “Greetings Lady Kameko. I am Zenji and I have the honour of sharing what little wisdom I have around the Mystical Arts with your ladyship.”

Stepped aside he indicated the stone steps. “Please will you sit with me for a moment before we begin?” he asked as he retook his previous sitting position.

The nobleman busied himself for a few moments pouring some tea into the spare cup he had asked to be placed on the tray. “The mystical arts, specifically in this case the Demon Arts, are a spiritual and mental study. I, for one, find a relaxing cup of tea to be a suitable first step to beginning a day’s study.” he informed her with a smile. Zenji did his best to put warmth into his expression but he knew that his permanent frown often robbed some of the gentleness from his face despite his best wishes.

Holding the cup out towards Yuki he would let her take it before continuing. “The Hatayama Clan has studied Kido for generations. Should you find today’s session enjoyable I will make sure to have the Clan library made available to you. As you may know the Estate largely serves as a Shrine and Gardens for the Public of the Seireitei so you will have no trouble entering the grounds if such a path appeals to you.”

Sipping his tea Zenji allowed his gaze to float away from the courtyard to the nearby cherry blossom trees that lined up side of the open space. The Estate was abundant with beautiful flowers thanks to the efforts of the Shrine Maidens and Gardeners of the Branch Family. The Head of the Hatayama Clan enjoyed the peace brought by silence a great deal, sometimes he wondered if that was why he was such a poor soldier?

Turning his gaze back to Yuki he nodded. “I wonder Lady Kameko, if I’m not being too forward, may I ask if you requested this training yourself? I simply know the request came from someone higher up than my own supervisor within the First Division.” Really what he was curious about was if someone with influence had made the request for her or if it was as simple as the Gotei looking out for the training of its own. He liked the idea of the latter and was naive enough to believe it the more likely one.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:19 pm

"It is a pleasure to meet you."

As she straightened her posture Yuki's face retained its calm stoic expression. When a seat was offered she ventured over, settling down upon her knees. She had to admit that he had a nice courtyard. The cherry trees were an especially lovely touch.

Tea. It smells nice.

With a quiet nod she leaned closer to accept her cup, drawing it to her lips. Her nose twitched as she inhaled the scent, tail shifted slightly around her waist. It certainly was a pleasant smell. Sipping at the contents she discovered that the taste was also up to par.

Of course this certainly was not the first time tea had been used in her training. It never seemed to have much an effect on her, but it was always a nice little touch regardless. Fortunately for Zenji his permanent scowl wasn't really off-putting to the wolf. He looked pretty serious, but she knew full well that outward appearances were not everything.

Nobles who leave their grounds open to the public? A place of study and meditation for everyone? Perhaps he really is one of the good ones.

Her cup was finally lowered from her lips. She felt it would have been rude to interrupt him before, but now he was asking her questions.

"I requested this training. I must be honest with you: this is not my first time learning about kido. Many years were spent studying even before I entered the academy. I know of some incantations and I know how some are to be performed, however for a reason beyond my understanding I have been thus far completely unable to perform even the most basic of kido. Also Yuki is fine. There is no need to be so formal when addressing me."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:02 am

“Yuki then.” he acknowledged with a dip of his head and a nod at her explanation, genuine interest in the Art was the best answer that could have been provided. “Do not feel too disheartened. We all have things that we excel at and those we struggle with. I’ve been a Shinigami for a Century but I imagine it’d take you very little effort to defeat me in combat.” he told her with a shameless smile.

In truth only a short time ago he would have been unbothered by such a fact but things had been changing lately. Zenji’s latest interactions with others were beginning to truly highlight his inadequacies. Concerning the dead start his Shinigami career had been given, and how he had been sidelined for decades, the noble had let himself become content with how things were. For better or worse that was changing and Zenji had begun to reevaluate himself.

Still this wasn’t the time for that. Today he was to focus on helping Yuki, not his own selfish desires. So Zenji did what one of the things he was best at, he compartmentalised his concerns around self-improvement and put them in a dark, quiet, corner of his mind.

Finishing his tea Zenji set his cup aside and smoothly straightened up and gestured towards the Courtyard. “When you feel ready we shall begin.”

Once Yuki joined him Zenji would nod slightly and glance at the woman before beginning. “Well to start of we shall briefly cover the basics. The Kidō we will be concerning ourselves with today are those that fall into the main categories of Hadō and Bakudō. Whilst many Shinigami forgo these studies in favour of the physical arts it should be remembered that Kidō falls under the Zankensoki, the basic fighting techniques we are expected to know.” he said. The gentleness of his voice faded the more he spoke being replaced by a severe, steady, tone which Zenji failed to realise was exactly the same tone of voice his father had used when instructing him as a youth. He had also taken up the pose favoured by the deceased Head of the Clan, standing straight with his long sleeves pressed together hiding his hands.

“Kidō is powered by one’s own Reiryoku and, as such, even a basic spell can be potent in the hands of a master. Due to this one must cultivate both Spiritual Strength and Skill to be a truly potent mystical combatant. However even if one lacks such sheer power with their spells you will find a significant portion of the Demon Arts can be deployed in the middle of combat, even with little power behind them. The general method of categorising Kidō by their inherent complexity is from 1 to 99, although you will find there exist some that break this general rule, however for now we shall simply be looking at the more basic of these.” he continued.

Shaking his sleeves he freed his hands from his robes and turned towards the targets. “There are two ways to cast spells. With, and without, incantation. The former is easier but the latter is more useful. However forgoing the incantation will cause the spell to lose a portion of its power, how much is lost will depend on the skill and strength of the user. We shall begin with one of the mid-level, but potent, spells taught at the Academy. Despite not being one of the most basic it is used by those who are both skilled and unskilled in the Art.”

Clearing his throat Zenji placed his hands out in front of him, palm facing one of the targets. “Ye lord! Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south! Hadō #31. Shakkahō.”

As he spoke an orb of crimson energy spun into existing against his outward facing palm. As he called out the spell's name the orb shot forward to strike one of the targets, on impact the target exploded with a fiery explosion and followed by a small concussive shockwave.

Zenji turned to look at Yuki. “As you get more used to spellcraft you’ll also notice that some spells can have some utility purposes. For example, Shakkahō can be used as a simple light.” he explained while holding his palm upwards. “Hadō #31. Shakkahō” he said calmly and the orb once again formed in his hand, this time simply resting on his palm. This orb appeared dimmed than the previous one. Zenji turned his palm outwards and with a gentle application of will the orb shot forward to strike another target. This target however only had part of it’s surface destroyed with heavy scorch marks maring the rest of it.

Once he was done some servants came out to quickly switch out the broken wooden targets for fresh ones.

Zenji smiled. “To break the process down. First exert a little more Spiritual Pressure than you think is necessary, this will make it easier to draw upon the needed power.” as he spoke an orange aura flared up around the man. “Place your palm facing outwards. Visualise the outcome of your spell. Use the full incantation. Once done simply will the spell to fire forth, imagining it striking the target is enough to begin with. You may find closing your eyes will make it easier to build the mental picture you need to form the spell.” he explained before holding up a finger. “Speak the incantation slowly and clearly. Take your time and move at your own pace.”

As Zenji finished speaking the servants were retreating from view once more. The man stepped aside and gestured towards the target. “When you are ready.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 am

He was quite a bit older than she was. Could she really defeat him in a fight? If it got close up yes. Most likely. At range? Well, there were certain kido which could effectively end a fight against her. Maybe she could figure out a way to free herself, but probably not before the advantage was taken advantage of.

If I could use kido I would become so much more powerful than I am now. Right! Today is the day that I learn something!

With a nod Yuki downed the rest of her tea in one go, eager to learn! It only burned a little bit. After setting her cup down she stood to her feet and moved closer to the older Shinigami. The basics she knew. She understood how it was empowered, understood the importance of the incantation, and of course the numbering system. That had never been her issue.

As Zenji spoke the incantation and moved his hand into position Yuki mentally did the same. She had always held an interest in the more destructive forms of kido. Shakkaho was no exception. The orb of light raced across the courtyard, detonating with a solid boom against one of the targets. For the briefest of moments a smile slipped through, hair and tail both momentarily swaying behind her due to the concussive force of the blast.

Zenji then detailed the utility behind even this sort of destructive kido. A light! What a practical application! And it could still be utilized as a lesser attack. Yes, this man was certainly the right one to go to.

Okay. You can do this. Just focus.

A couple steps were taken away from Zenji, the wolf's head nodding repeatedly. She was ready. This wasn't impossible. Her eye closed. Traces of her reiatsu leaked out from her form. It started as a trickle, but very quickly the dam holding it back burst open! A howling chaotic black vortex tore its way out from her body, threatening to sweep away anything that stood near it. Of course it was a lot calmer at the center, but then there a heavy sickening dread permeated the air.

I think that should be enough.

Her right hand was lifted, palm aimed towards a target. For a good ten seconds she paused as she did her best to remember the exact phrasing of the incantation. It had been a long time since she'd really delved deep into this sort of training. But thankfully Zanji's little warm-up helped considerably with this task.

"Ye lord! Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of man!"

Another slight pause arrived as she tried to remember the rest. This was combined with her focusing upon her palm as she attempted to draw upon some of the energy swirling around her body, hoping to form it into an orb. Was it even working? She didn't feel anything different.

"Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south! Hado #31! Shakkaho!"

Still nothing. No boom. Her eye finally opened. There was nothing in her palm. She dropped her hand back down to her side and closed her eye, focusing on constricting her reiatsu once more. Why hadn't it worked?

"Did I do something wrong?"
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:25 am

Zenji was not passive as she began her incantation. Rather he circled behind her keeping his eyes on her but more than that he was reaching out with his Spiritual Senses to try and detect what exactly was happening while she cast her spell. He was so focused on her that when Yuki’s Spiritual Power burst forth he took a step back, half-raising his hands in a defensive stance, before realising there was no threat. His heart nearly burst out of his chest due to the initial shock. It seemed that the Beast Clan Noble was rather primal at heart, or at least in Spirit.

Refocusing he frowned slightly. Her Reiatsu was at least as impressive as his own. Even with a flawed casting she should see something happen even if that something was just the energy exploding in her face.

As she began her incantation Zenji immediately realised something was off. Her words felt… empty? Reaching out his fingers brushed against her Reiatsu, the initial feeling was almost as if the raging vortex threatened to strip the flesh from his fingers but he ignored it knowing the threat was illusionary but all the same he withdrew his fingers a few moments later. It had been enough to confirm his suspicions.

Of course nothing happened when she finished her incantation.

“Not exactly.” he said slowly, his head tilted slightly to one side with his frown deepening in thought as if studying a complex problem. “However I can not exactly explain the issue.”

And how could he be expected to? He’d never seen anything like it before. It was almost as if her power had been blowing around her but not actually supplying her with any of the energy needed. ‘Does that even happen?’ he wondered silently. Well there was one way to find out.

“Let us try once more however… and excuse me for the improper contact.” he said, apologising in advance, before resting his hands on her shoulders. Despite her slight size he was momentarily surprised by the strength he felt under his fingers.

Clearing his throat, Zenji wasn’t really comfortable with any level of physical contact if he was honest, the man nodded back towards the target. “I shall attempt to channel my own Reiryoku into your control. It is not an exact science but hopefully it will allow you to use my own power to cast the spell. If you are successful we will know that your basic Kido skill is not the issue, then we can investigate further. Is that acceptable?” he asked.

If she accepted his own Spiritual Pressure would slowly build, enveloping them both in a warm orange glow. Like a summer’s breeze it would blow across them carrying with it the jasmine like scent of an osmanthus flower.

The rest would be up to Yuki.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Damnit. Damnit! Why?!

Perhaps he just isn't good enough. You should leave.

I don't think that is the issue.

For a brief moment the wolf's body tensed up. Improper contact? What exactly did he have in mind? When she felt the man's hands upon her shoulders Yuki had to fight the urge to smack him with her tail. Even keeping the appendage still was a challenge! But she had been trying to open up to people, trying to learn to trust people. She didn't want to ruin that due to a little misunderstanding.

Calm. It's fine.

He knows kido. You know how many applications that style has. He's going to pin you down. Then who knows what might happen!

No. He won't.

He will! He's so close! You could cut him down!

In the back of her mind Yuki had been listening, even if her zanpakuto had been making a fuss about the physical contact now shared between them. She was going to try using his energy? Was that really even possible? It was not an idea that she'd considered before, let alone attempted.

"Very well."

Her eye opened once again. Everything was tinted orange. She enjoyed his spirit. It was warm, not overbearing but pleasant. The scent of flowers was certainly a nice touch too. Mixed with the scent of strawberries she gave off it created a lovely little aroma and together with the gentle warm breeze it reminded her of her garden.

Focus. You can do this.

A deep breath was taken to calm herself, to ease the tension in her body. Focusing on the new atmosphere made it so much easier. Her hand extended again, palm focused upon the same target she'd chosen before. Mentally she reached out and attempted to wrap that pleasant warmth around her arm, around her fingers, and within her palm.

"Ye lord! Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south! Hado #31! Shakkaho!"

The orange glow grew more vibrant within her palm. Thin strings of energy spun together, slowly forming a small orb. As she willed it forth the miniature Shakkaho flew forth, wobbling in the air! It impacted against the ground next to the target with a slightly concussive pop!

Her tail wagged behind her as she lowered her hand. It hadn't been much. In fact as far as any Shakkaho went it was pathetic! But she was smiling none the less. A genuine smile!

I did it. I actually did it! My first kido!

"It worked! Sort of."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:48 am

Smiling with satisfaction Zenji released her shoulders after the miniature orb exploded against the ground, leaving a decent amount of scorch marks indicating it had been relatively potent given it’s rather amusing size. In truth it was no different than a student's first successful casting of a mid-level offensive spell.

As he stepped back the nobleman’s smile wavered as he stumbled, his hand reaching out as if to try and grab something but meeting only air but, luckily for his pride, he managed to steady himself before falling on his backside. The Shinigami’s vision swam for a second and he gave a silent curse realising his mistake. By letting her use his Reiryoku as an energy cost he had, in effect, just cast three middle level Hadō. Whilst not a problem considering his skill level it was a serious drain on his severely limited stamina. It also didn’t help that, despite the apparent weakness of Yuki’s own casting, her use of his power had been grossly inefficient.

Pinching the bridge of his nose for a second Zenji took a few deep breaths with his eyes closed before relaxing and refocusing his gaze on Yuki. Smiling politely he nodded. “That was most promising, congratulations.” he responded, banishing the exhaustion from his voice and mind.

“I believe the issue lies not in lack of technique or mental imaging but rather the primary step. When you summon your inner strength I believe it roars around you but not flowing through you in the manner necessary.”

With a flex of his will a faint orange outline surrounding Zenji’s form and holding out his hand he let the glow intensify around his arm to give a visual representation of the power flowing to his hand. Holding his palm facing upwards the energy swirled and formed an orb of pure Spiritual Energy floating a few cms above his open hand.

“Internally a large portion of becoming adept in the Mystical Arts is about controlling the flow of your power. It must be precisely as it needs to be at your faintest command. Whilst it may roar on the outside it should be calm within, directed through the proper internal energy channels. A constant, controlled, stream to where it needs to go for the necessary amount of power each spell requires. Too little and nothing happens. Too much and it might explode in your face.”

Zenji let the power evaporate before giving an almost apologetic smile. “Ah.. does that make any sense?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:49 am

The same loss of energy was not shared by Yuki. Her palm felt a little tingly, certainly, but that was about it. Still, she had felt the orb, felt the successful casting of a kido. Within her mind swam thoughts and ideas and dreams about using it, about how she might improve her combat capabilities with such a tool at her disposal.

When Zenji hit the ground her ear twitched, followed swiftly by her turning to face him. He looked fine, however he also appeared to be exhausted. Then it hit her. Perhaps she'd pulled away too much energy.

He's so vulnerable. CUT HIM DOWN!

Why?

He'll betray you! Eventually!

Always with the betrayal. Not everyone is out to get me.

That's right. He had been very helpful. She lowered her head in gratitude when the man congratulated her. Of course she did tense up briefly when an orb of spiritual energy gathered within the man's palm, tail steadying behind her.

Calm. It's just. . .he's just showing off energy.

REMOVE HIS ARM!

The wolf nodded once. Then she extended a hand to help him up. "Usually I'm just holding back my reiatsu. Not to say it's particularly powerful or anything, it's just a little wild. I have difficulty forcing it to do as I wish. It's never really calm on the inside either. Or at least it doesn't feel that way."

Perhaps that was why she couldn't use kido. She just didn't know how to control it. Could she manage that? Tame her reiatsu? Did her zanpakuto have anything to do with it?
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 am

Oblivious to his fellow noble’s inner turmoil the Shinigami nodded as she explained her own situation to him. Rubbing his chin he pondered a solution to her rather unusual problem. To Zenji’s amusement he found he was rather enjoying teaching her, it was far more enjoyable than any paperwork assignment the Gotei had ever given him.

“How about we try this.” he began holding up two fingers. “First try to let your power rage uncontrolled. As much of it as possible and see if you can force the spell to come to life.” he said. It was quite the opposite of what he often cautioned students to do but this was an atypical situation.

Folding one digit down so a single finger remained upright he continued. “Then attempt the same spell, this time trying to regulate your inner flow of Reiryoku so that it concentrates only in the palm of your hand. Shape that energy and let it loose.” he finished folding out the last finger.

Crossing his arms he smiled. “Fear not. We have narrowed down the problem and so, already, I would say this is staggeringly good progress towards becoming a student of the Demon Arts.” he added in a reassuring tone.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Her hand was lowered. Another try? She didn't know how to feel about that idea, but then he was the master here. Perhaps he was on to something? It was worth a shot, right?

Yuki nodded and stepped away, closing her eye. One long breath was inhaled to focus herself. Just let her power rage freely. Nothing bad could come of that. Certainly not.

Here goes nothing.

Once more she allowed her reiatsu to spill forth, the howling winds kicking up around her body. Nothing was held back. A hand was lifted, palm aimed towards the same target she'd tried hitting earlier. When her eye opened she began her chant.

"Ye lord! Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south! Hado #31! Shakkaho!"

As black reiatsu tore at the air around her Yuki focused on drawing some of it into her palm. However nothing was accumulating. No orb. Any tiny amount that even started to accumulate was swiftly wiped away almost as quickly as it had formed.

Damnit! Okay. Let's try. . .

Now she attempted the second suggestion. Her eye closed yet again as she focused inwards and tried her best to actually regulate her energy. However it was like trying to regulate the air that flowed around her. She felt no changes. Nothing gathered within her palm.

A tired sigh left the woman as her hand lowered and her reiatsu was pulled back into her body. "No good. I couldn't control it. Not even a little bit" she mumbled, clearly agitated. Not that she blamed Zenji for it, but she was certainly disappointed.

"I don't understand what I might be doing wrong."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:17 pm

While she made her attempt Zenji had moved off to the side, dropping heavily onto the steps, as he could no longer find the energy to stand. “Three spells of middling power? You’ve gone soft old man.” he muttered to himself as he rested an elbow on his knee and his chin against his open palm. He watched as Yuki tried her casting one more time.

Even at the distance he could feel her Spiritual Pressure explode around her as she took another swing at trying to get the spell working. Really, all things considered, her strength of spirit was no more impressive than that of Zenji himself but it was so much more.... aggressive. Yes that was the word for it. There was no subtlety in it. It was all force, it demanded to be recognised, to be seen. I am a lion, hear me roar and all that. Still for all it’s bluster not a bit went to the actual forming of the spell.

It was strange. The girl wasn’t an idiot, she didn’t appear to be willfully doing anything incorrectly but she simply wasn’t getting results.

'Well she’s at least no quitter.’ he thought to himself as he picked up the pot of tea and poured himself a fresh cup. Sipping at it he watched as she tried a more controlled use of energy. He couldn’t sense a thing happening, some energy fluttering around inside of her perhaps but not the expected stream of power to her hand.

Getting up he left his Zanpakuto lying on the step as he approached her. Walking closer, tea in hand, he could almost taste the disappointment in the air. He only caught her making some noise to herself, perhaps adominishments or curses, but he wasn’t able to pick up any distinct words. He did however hear her last sentence and the man smiled at her kindly. “You are possibly doing nothing wrong Yuki. It could simply be the inner channels that we use to activate the spells have atrophied from lack of regulated use. Where we need a damn to provide only the necessary power it could be that you have a roaring uncontrollable river. Or perhaps a blockage which allows no water through at all, eh? ”

Stopping he sipped on his tea. It wasn’t a good idea to keep pushing her, even if there was no visible result it was more than possible that she could cause unseen damage to her spiritual physiology by repeated miscasting. Better to let her rest but not to let her give up hope.

“Let us take a break for now. Come with me, I would like to show you something.” he said leading her out of the Courtyard and walking towards another part of the Estate not too far away.

Last edited by Zenji Hatayama on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 pm

"That makes sense."

It was a shame, really. She hadn't been using kido enough, and so it had affected her ability to use it. And yet she couldn't use it in the first place! Or perhaps she could but she just hadn't had the right teacher. At this point she really didn't know.

I need to learn to control it. Might be good to practice that.

She calmed a bit as the smell of tea hit her senses. It was pleasant. And, to be honest, she was getting a little tired. Training her spirit seemed to take a little more out of her than she'd anticipated! But then it was like trying to work out a muscle she hadn't used before.

"Very well."

Turning Yuki proceeded to follow the man out of the courtyard.

Here it is. He is leading you somewhere. Probably an ambush.

I doubt that.

Or his bedroom. You should kill him if he does.

He's not leading me to his bedroom. What would even be the point?

You know. This is where he betrays you. He's going to make you vulnerable and then you will have wished that you had killed him. Go on. Do it now! Cut off his head!

Yuki shook her head a couple of times. She missed the days when her zanpakuto's voices were just a feeling. A raw hunger, a need to hunt. It still sometimes was, yes, but now it filled her head with paranoia and hate. Was it trying to drive her away from other people?
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Glancing over his shoulder he saw the girl distractedly shaking her head and frowned. He hoped the training hadn’t caused her any sort of unseen hurt, he’d feel rather terrible if something bad happened under his tuition. He’d rather enjoyed the session and would hate for it to be so unsuccessful that his first and only student came away hurt.

As they strode along Zenji slowed his pace so that he was walking alongside the other noble. Gesturing to a large, partially obstructed, area upon a slight rise filled with citizens dressed in clothing ranging from the silks of nobility to a rougher more common cut. “It’s difficult to see from here but up there is the Shrine that the Estate was built around.” he mentioned.

Sipping his tea as they walked, a smooth graceful gesture that spoke of many miles walked with tea in hand Zenji nodded further along down the path. “The meditation gardens are not too far away either.”

Eventually they reached a large, standalone, building. Taller than most of the others and, perhaps more interestingly, surrounded by a number of figures armed with staves much like Zenji’s Zanpakuto. As they got closer it became apparent that the “guards” were half a dozen Monks and Hand Maidens but they certainly seemed to be keeping an eye on the building.

As Zenji led his guest towards the large double doors he paused as an old man approached him. “Good afternoon Uncle.” Zenji said politely.

The old man smiled kindly. “Young Master.” he said, the same name he’d used for over two centuries causing Zenji to chuckle softly. “I’m sorry but you can not bring that in there.” he noted with a nod at the cup of tea.

Zenji smiled and handed it back but as he saw the old man frown at Yuki’s weapon the Lord raised his hand. “It’s fine Uncle. This is Lady Kameko.”

Upon hearing the Clan name the old man simply bowed and stepped back. The senior members of the Branch Family had all been made aware of the “changes” in Aristocratic Society that Watari had explained only a few nights ago. The Four Clans were the new power and the Hatayama had gotten in line to try and play their part in keeping the peace.

Two younger Monks stepped forward to push the large doors open and Zenji gestured for Yuki to follow him inside. It didn’t take more than a cursory glance to realise where they were now. Rows and rows of scrolls, tomes and various other forms of writing were stored neatly and tidily for as far as the eye could see.

“Welcome to the Library of the Hatayama. Here you will find a greater store of information than anywhere outside of the Gotei itself. The vast majority of these documents are written on the subject of the Demon Arts. However you will also find information on religion, history, meditation techniques and even the odd Zanjutsu manual.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:54 pm

The little Shinigami was pleasantly surprised to see so many people at the temple. More importantly, it wasn't just nobles but also commoners! Her tail started to wag a little bit. Even the voices in her head appeared to quiet down.

"I am impressed. So many nobles are quick to ignore the general public. It is good to see that there are still some good people among the nobility."

Meditation gardens as well? She started to wonder what else this estate might contain. A bath house? Lodgings? Perhaps some sort of canteen? If her estate were larger and better placed then perhaps she could open up something like that. Something to help the people.

Then again there are plenty of nasty nobles out there. Perhaps one of them has an estate large enough and close enough to the Rukongai. I'd just need to take it from them.

Kill them all.

Her inner spirit started to stir when it noticed the warriors. So many trained in the art of hand to hand combat, or at least melee combat. She wondered how powerful they were. How would they stand up to a Hollow? Could they defeat her in a fight?!

No. No. I am not here for that.

You could find out how strong they are. Just kill this man. They'll come to you.

As Zenji's uncle approached Yuki lowered her head respectfully. "Hello. It is good to meet you" she responded. There was no need to introduce herself, it seemed. But for some reason this man appeared to know her name. That was a little unsettling. Why did he know it? Was this not the first time they had met? Had something been set up ahead of time?

I told you! It's an ambush!

For a moment the question escaped her mind. The library revealed to her was very impressive! Her eye widened slightly in awe, head turning as she looked over the many shelves of scrolls and tomes. They even had zanjutsu material!

"Incredible" whispered the wolf. "Is this open to anyone?"

Ah. Wait.

"Also I must ask: that man appeared to know me. I do not recall having met him before. I was curious as to why he knows me."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:16 pm

“We’d be rather hypocritical if we did forbid the commoners.” he said with a smile. “Our Clan was originally Monks you know, an order unrelated by blood who stood with the other founders of the Soul Society. Due to our involvement in that event, and some other facts, the Clan was raised to Nobility. Millenia ago of course but still it’s good to keep such things in mind.”

He said with a smile. “Besides veneration of the ideals of Balance and the Soul King should be open to all, otherwise what’s the point.” he added without much thought. “Many of our colleagues consider us barely better than commoners anyway. The other reason we’ve such a large, and central, Estate is because it was built so long ago.”

Zenji shook his head with a look of almost regret at her question around the library’s exclusivity. “Unfortunately that is not the case.” he said sadly. “A significant portion of the records here relate on how to use Kidō. Not just catalogued spells but also some less orthodox mystical arts which could be very dangerous if unregulated. Not only for the user but if put into the hands of the wrong person.”

He sighed sadly. “Things are what they are I’m afraid.” he added sadly.

As they walked deeper in the library he glanced at Yuki with an expression of surprise. “I had assumed you'd know.” Zenji replied with bemusement. “Lord Suzumei visited me recently to inform me of the new… order of things.” he said slowly. It would be dangerous to outright accuse Lord Watari of anything so he had to be careful. He also didn't know if it was safe to mention the list so, being a cautious man, he decided not to. “He mentioned the new Four Great Clans, he didn’t mention yours but I decided to ask around afterwards. Where you not present at the… uhm… party?” And she had walked away from it. Her Clan might not have been listed but that had to mean something right? “I have told everything I know, or at least suspect, to the Elders of our Branch Family just to make sure everyone behaves themselves.”

’Or rather so the innocent common folk don't get caught in the games of nobility.’ he added silently.

Last edited by Zenji Hatayama on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:34 pm

An ancient clan. I'm surprised they aren't more powerful. But then perhaps they've always been this way, refusing to snatch up power. Yes. This family deserves to be spared.

Nobles are nobles. They always will be. He is putting on an act.

If he is then it is a very good act.

"Commoners are better. You should consider it a compliment. In any case, that makes sense."

She hadn't thought about that. Such a massive library, so many ancient texts, of course there would be lingering dangers. They couldn't be faulted for that. Still, what they were doing was important.

Yuki paused. Watari. Of course he'd visited. The man moved quickly with these sorts of things. She was just glad that he hadn't actually done something to this place. Perhaps he was changing?

"I was. Yes. I tried to kill him" she mentioned offhandedly, continuing to follow along beside the man. "Pride defeated me. I took him for granted. He is pretty strong though. Victory was never assured."

Next time you'll kill him.

They were going deeper into the library. She wondered where exactly they planned on venturing to. What else was hidden within this massive estate? To be honest she was actually a little excited.
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:45 pm

“Most of the Branch family would agree.” he laughed then, realising that alone made no sense he added. “Much of our Branch Family are adopted souls from the Rukongai. We take in those with higher than average Spiritual Power, but too weak to become Shinigami, if they wish it. In exchange for joining and becoming a member of the Clan they serve as our Monks and Shrine Maidens. If they ever discover they’re stronger than we first thought then they can leave the Clan and join the Academy to become Soul Reapers. Some elect to join but also remain as part of the clan, my cousin Zâbel Miyashita, is such a person. She chooses to use her own name but she is free to also use the Clan name whenever she wants.” It was a somewhat complex system and it meant that the majority of the Clan had no blood relation to each other but then neither had the founders of the Clan. That practice had led to the diminished respect of their peers however. The main Clan was the only one that one had to be born into.

Zenji almost tripped over his own feet as she spoke and had to slap his hand against a pillar to catch himself. “K-kill?” he spluttered. “I have to admit that it’s surprising that you’re still alive, Lord Watari did not seem the sort to easily forgive such a transgression.” he added as diplomatically as possible.

Clearing his throat he led the other Soul Reaper further into the library. Eventually they came to an area, not too close to the back, and off to one side. He paused and frowned at the rows before smiling. “Ah here we are.” he said softly. “These are all texts on spiritual physiology, the basics of spellcasting and the principles of the Demon Arts.” he added with a gesture. Turning to her with a smile. “These, and many more, are at your disposal. If you’re willing to continue this adventure of yours into the Mystical Ways then I am sure you can find your answer with time and perseverance.”

Gesturing to a nearby set of doors he continued. “The texts can not be removed but you will find a number of private study rooms in the library, there are also more open shared study areas.” he added with a smile. “I will leave your name with the guards so that you may come and go as you please, it’s the least I can do considering the lacklustre tuition I’ve provided today.” he added with a respectful bow.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Branch family? Right. Some clans do this sort of thing.

She did enjoy how the Hatayama conducted their branch families. They adopted commoners from the Rukongai, raised their status of living. It was pretty in line with what she wanted to do. Hell, she had to admit that Watari did the same, at least to a certain degree! Although she still disagreed with how he handled any mistakes that they made.

"Mm. Apparently he arranged for me to be at that party. Originally I hadn't planned on going. He invited my clan to join the other four in reforming our society. The Kameko would be the hidden fifth great noble clan. Discrimination and all that. While I agreed with his ideals, and still do, his method of assassinating a bunch of nobles with poison was not something I could get behind. So I tried to kill him for it. By that point the deed was already done. Might as well move forward, right?"

He deserved the truth, deserved to really know what he was getting himself into. She didn't know what Watari might have told him. Still, she had warned him before about her honesty. Not that it mattered much now: if the other clans decided to fight back, well, she'd already chosen her side.

Let them come like lambs to the slaughter!

When Zenji stopped so too did the wolf. These texts would help her, perhaps even allow her to unlock whatever it was that held her back from using kido. She could ask about zanjutsu another time. They even had some lovely private study rooms to use.

Turning towards Zenji she'd settle her hands at her sides, lowering her head in a deep bow of gratitude. "Thank you. I will return sometime to study. I do appreciate all of this."

Perhaps they could help each other further? Yes. She could rely on his assistance. Besides, they were both on the same side now.

"I like to be honest with people. I don't lie. My plans for the future are not peaceful" she started, straightening out her posture once more. "There are many within the nobility who are not noble, who do not deserve what they have. I seek to eliminate them. However I also wish to help those within the Rukongai. I want to uplift as many people as I can. Turn them into the new nobility. Eventually we can eliminate the nobility class altogether. If you know of anyone deserving of removal then I would like to know. I wouldn't mind help putting together estates to help with that transition either. What you have here is a good start, but we could be providing more. Food. Lodging. Education. Some of the larger estates could be divided up into smaller portions, could be given to more people."

Of course Zenji was a member of an ancient clan. It was entirely possible that he would be against such changes. But from what she'd gathered he would probably be on board for something like this. After all he was quite noble!

"On that note you should also be aware that I will cut down you and your clan if you happen to become corrupted. I've made the others aware of this as well. But you seem like a good person. I doubt that will become an issue."
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:24 pm

“He appears to be a rather capable strategic man.” Zenji told Yuki with a forced smile. He wasn't comfortable with all this intrigue and political maneuvering. He had even openly grimaced at the talk of assassination. “Get on the wagon or be at risk of being run over by it.” he muttered with a soft sigh, it was something one of the Elders had said after he’d informed the old man of his decision to have the Hatayama get in line and do what they’re told. Shaking his head slightly he looked at Yuki. “I’ve never understood that, the discrimination that is, we’ve had many fine guests from the Beast Clans visit us to pay homage to the Soul King. I’ve never seen them to be any better or worse than the rest of us.” he told her. He was aware of how many felt about those unfortunate souls but it made no sense, after all look at Yuki. Setting aside her animalistic features she was a cute looking young Lady and adding those animalistic features back in hardly subtracted from that look.

‘People are strange.’

“When you visit you’ll be accompanied by one of the Monks or Shrine Maidens on duty.” he explained. “Partially to protect the documentation, some are very fragile but also to act as guides. Part of their training is to memorise the layout of the various subjects in the archives so they’ll be able to bring you straight to whichever topic interests you that day.”

Zenji didn’t respond straight away and he sighed looking away, a look of regret and something approaching shame on his face. “Perhaps we Hatayama are as much to blame as any Clan for what has become of our ruling society.” he murmured softly, almost sadly, as he avoided eye contact with his guest. “We have always done our best to help, from the facilities here to the funding of the relief efforts to the Rukongai’s less fortunate districts but… we’ve always claimed to stay out of politics, to be too cerebral or too spiritual for such concerns.”

His shoulders slumped the earlier tiredness washing over him as the unpleasant emotions rushed through him. “Perhaps in seeking to preserve our honour by not playing the games we let corruption spread when we could stop it.”

Turning a sorrowful gaze back to Yuki he nodded slightly. “If I can help I will but I will not take part in the willful murder of any clans, even the corrupt. I understand that, realistically it may be the only way, but I simply do not have it in me… not now.” Because did the teachings not say that the future was always in flux? Who knew how he would feel the further he dived into the society of his peers he’d neglected for so long.

“However if I can help support your vision for a brighter future then please simply ask at any time.” he assured her with a deep bow. “And please, do me a favour, let your kin from the other discriminated against Clans know that the Shrine and Gardens of the Hatayama are open to all citizens.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Unfortunately Watari is a little too smart. He cannot be taken lightly.

Exactly. Remove his h-

Yuki returned her full attention to Zenji. It wasn't like her spirit was going to say anything new. Zenji on the other hand was someone she could hold a proper conversation with. The discrimination wasn't a fun subject to discuss, but at least this man wasn't one of the ones partaking in it. Even so, she didn't have much to add on the subject. If anything it made her a little uncomfortable and brought back memories she really didn't wish to revisit.

That makes sense. Can't have people wandering this place alone.

She actually felt a little pity when Zenji spoke of his clan's complacency. While it was true that they could certainly do more to help, especially considering the resources they had available to them, they at least weren't a big part of the problem. At least, she didn't think so. It was also a little bit of a bummer when he stated that he wouldn't assist her in rooting out the undeserving clans, but then she understood his reasoning.

"The Hatayama clan still lends help those who need it most. Do not put down all the good that you do. Look to the future, to improving what you do and what you can do. I suppose asking you to pass on that information might be a little much. You are right. In such a case you would be at least partly responsible for their deaths. Do not worry about it."

There were others to assist with that. Watari for instance. She could seek them out herself too. Besides, plenty of them were sending their assassins her way. All she'd need to do is trace them back to the clans they served.

"Thank you. I'll let the others know if I see them."

Truth be told she hadn't visited any of the other beast clans. She didn't even know any of them herself. How many even existed? Were they really as common as people made them out to be? Perhaps it would be a good idea to find out.
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:03 pm

He smiled gratefully at Yuki’s kind words, they were akin to absolution in the man’s eyes. He had never admitted his guilt by inaction before but it had been weighing on him the past few days since his meeting with Watari. The man might be, well utterly vile probably, but he had at least seemed honest. However he had left many dark thoughts in his wake after leaving their meeting.

“Thank you.” he replied gratefully. Pausing he smiled slightly. “Of course just because I don’t want to take part in any attacks doesn’t mean my people can’t fight. If you, or any of your friends, find yourselves in trouble because of the evildoings of any of the Seireitei’s supposed Nobles then you will always find refuge here. Defending is something we Kidō experts do rather well.”

Nobles should be as they were named. Honourable, steadfast, protective of their people and a provider for the unfortunate. If it took Watari’s purge to make this true once more then very well however everything Zenji had ever read on morality and philosophy seemed to indicate that good could not be achieved by what amounted to, ultimately, evil means.

However the Hatayama would be here, no matter what came, to defend those who could not defend themselves. A sanctuary in the middle of any unrest that might follow in the aftermath of the recent events.

Zenji clapped his hands and grinned. “Regardless I think we have made some progress today. We shall simply continue your lessons over time and when you have time you will also study here.” he said returning to a more pleasant topic. “In no time you’ll be throwing around lightning bolts and fire balls as if it were second nature.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki Kameko Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:41 pm

A safe haven. That was good to keep in mind. Perhaps she could send Rei here? With her retainers of course. Especially if the attacks picked up. She didn't want to put any of them in danger, and besides, it would make the fight a little more entertaining if she didn't have to worry about anyone else getting caught in the crossfire.

"Very well. I will most certainly return for future studies."

She did like that image: her tossing around offensive kido. At this point she doubted it would ever happen, but that wasn't any reason to give in. Today she had made plenty of progress! Besides, it would be nice to revisit this place.

"I suppose I should be off then. Again. Thank you."

Taking a step back she'd bow her head once more. She straightened herself out and turned, ready to depart, but then she paused. Right. One more thing to address.

"I'll be holding a meeting soon between the nobles. It will be at my place. You need not worry about poisoning. I hoped that we could come up with a solid plan for the future. You are invited to join us. Also you are invited to visit if you so desire, whether it be for all of this or otherwise. I'll send you more information when a date is set. I look forward to seeing you again."

And with that set she aimed to take her leave! All in all it had been a very productive day!
Yuki Kameko
Yuki Kameko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Zenji ducked his head with a smile. “All is possible with the necessary application of will.” Zenji said, it was something his Father had often said to him in the past.

Bowing deeply Zenji in homage to the Lady, the bow deep enough to be a gesture of a Lesser Clan to a Greater Family. “I would be honoured to attend Lady Kameko.” he responded politely. “Merely send the word and I shall be there.”

Straightening up he nodded pleasantly. “Certain if I have the time I shall pay you a visit. Perhaps sometime you can teach me how to fight with my Zanpakuto someday when we are free.” he added in a joking tone.

The nobleman followed the girl as she left the library, pausing at the doorway he asked one of the Shrine Maidens accompany the Lady to the exit as it was easy enough to get lost on the Clan’s property if they took a wrong turn towards the Gardens or Shrine.

Once she was gone Zenji returned to the courtyard to collect his tray of tea and Zanpakuto, bringing the former back to the kitchen. Resting in his personal study, feeling exhausted after the few hours of work mostly due to the rapid spellcasting in short order. Leaning back in his chair an errand thought slipped into the Shinigami’s mind.

‘Maybe I should teach at the Academy.’

//THREAD END
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum