Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Peas in a Pod [Nao/Closed]

2 posters

Go down

Two Peas in a Pod [Nao/Closed] Empty Two Peas in a Pod [Nao/Closed]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:52 pm

Administration Offices
1st Division HQ

Zenji yawned as he paused in his seemingly eternal battle against the paper tide. The man couldn’t help but wonder if the Soul Society had spent a few millenia without a proper filing system and then everyone had just offloaded all the horrid record keeping to the First Division before making a run for it. Sighing, the Shinigami shook his head and dropped into a seat to take a few moments to himself to catch his breath. No warrior of the Fifth would ever understand how truly exhausting it was to sort After Action Report followed by another ARR, then another. It wasn’t even the paperwork that was the problem, it was that the people writing them seemed barely literate if one was to go by the quality of reports being submitted.

If only work was the only weight on his shoulders then he might be alright. However Clan business had been rather tiring lately. He had been forced to go through a mountain of spending sign-offs for the year earlier in the day for the Hatayama Estate, spending they couldn’t really afford, but he had little choice. Without the upkeep of the Shrine and Garden then what was even the point of owning the Estate at all if they couldn’t provide those services to the Seireitei’s population. Zenji had been hoping to find a way to let Rukongai souls visit as well but the governing bodies of the Soul Society had quickly dashed letting such “lesser” souls into the heart of their society.

However finances were not what had been worrying Zenji. It was the whispers that something was occurring within the highest echelons of their Society, the Noble Families were in flux but the details were beyond the Clan’s understanding. The downside to having sat out day to day politics for Centuries. Zenji just hoped it was nothing too significant. When the Nobility got upset that was rarely a good sign.

Sighing, he glanced over at his Zanpakuto leaning against the wall and smiled as he reached out to grab the staff. The khakkhara was warm to his touch as he wrapped his fingers around it’s wooden shaft. Shaking the staff caused it’s rings to clang off one another and Zenji chuckled. “Don’t suppose you’ve any advice partner?” he asked. As always the weapon seemed utterly inanimate and, of course, no response came to his question. After 100 years he’d more or less given up on the idea that it might ever answer him.

Shaking his head he put the Staff against the wall again and stood up. He looked around the messy, and small, office which had been assigned to him. In the past Zenji had complained about it frequently but lately he’d realised as an Unseated Shinigami he should be happy they give him a private office at all. Although in part he wondered if this wasn’t so they could just slide more work into the room when he wasn’t present.

Gathering up the documents, they appeared to be various requisition request forms which had gotten mixed in with the AARs and Performance Review documentation, Zenji set off towards one of the form administrators he’d been pointed towards earlier to see if perhaps she could help find the proper hope for the paperwork.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Two Peas in a Pod [Nao/Closed] Empty Re: Two Peas in a Pod [Nao/Closed]

Post by Nao Aoki Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:15 am

It was shaping up to be a long day, but she was eternally grateful for that. After her last foray into the world of the living, she could take a century of long days in the office. That Shaman had scared her half to death, and his actions had nearly finished off the other half.

”Oh, but you got a wonderful new friend out of it,” Murat sarcastically chimed in after hearing her thoughts. She’d spent over eight decades daydreaming about being able to talk to her Zanpakuto and, now, she wished nothing more than to shut his ass up. He’d been incessant, as if he’d spent that entire time quietly waiting and building up a list of things to tear into her over. She wondered how the other Shinigami in her unit managed to get any work done if theirs were half as rude as hers.

They were supposed to guide you and help you develop, so why was hers offering nothing but insults and telling her to slack off at work. One time, he had even suggested she try to extort a favor out of a Second Division member submitting a records request! She, of course, hastily complied with their paperwork and guaranteed the best possible service, pointedly doing so free of charge. Worst of all, that insistence had led to an offer to expedite any requests she might have of Second. If his chiding remarks were obnoxious, the laughter and congratulations were somehow even worse.

She had, of course, not told anyone about his helpful advice. The formal paperwork announcing her successful Shikai was filed in triplicate with the necessary offices, but she had not shared the information with anyone in her life, not that she had anyone she would have confided that in anyway.

It was such that, hearing a knock on her door, Nao stood up in a huff. Her desk was covered in its traditional wild pile of paperwork, as was the bulk of the nearby floor. That was another thing Murat had been hounding her about. Just unleash him, use the ability to manipulate text, and she could finish up her entire shift in a matter of seconds. Nao could never do something so disrespectful to the work product, not to mention how much her supervising officer would freak out if suddenly all of her work was done. They had careful metrics that needed to be maintained and, if Nao suddenly was accomplishing all of the work of her eight Shinigami work unit, it would make the others look bad, especially the five who were personal friends of her supervisor.

Pushing these thoughts to the back of her mind, Nao did a brief breathing exercise to calm herself before opening the door to greet her guest. Finally comfortable on the inside, she caught her reflection in a mirror, straightened out her hair, refastened one of her silver barrettes, and adjusted her uniform to not be bunched up around the middle from a day spent sitting. Making her way to the door, she pulled it open and immediately bowed down. ”Nao Aoki. Welcome to forms and processing. How can I help you?” she repeated from rote memory after, not bothering for a second to actually look at who it was at her door until she had finished her standard introduction.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:52 am

When the door finally swung open what Nao was faced with was a pile of paper, only after a few moments did Zenji manage to poke his head around the towering mountain of forms to see the woman at the other side of the obstruction. Really it had been a small miracle that he hadn’t dropped the lot of them on the way over.

The face was one he recognised immediately, although not a person he was overly familiar with, she had been working in the administrative wing of the Division long before Zenji had transferred. It was a small mercy really, the amount of people he didn’t recognise seemed to grow at an ever increasing rate over the past century. Sometimes he wondered if he wasn’t becoming a relic in his tiny little office. Better yet he was aware that the woman was a talented bureaucrat. Maybe this wouldn’t be a wasted trip after all.

“Ah Miss Aoki, excellent. Zenji Hatayama, Divisional Reports Archives. I was wondering if you could he-” he cut off as he readjusted his annoying cargo as it threatened to tip over. “-help me with something. I was trying to tidy up the old AARs and I’ve found a cornucopia of misfiling. It appears all these forms, largely requisition forms and past performance reviews, had been thrown into the mix.”

Again he had to stop talking as he took a step backwards, almost tripping over his own feet, as he tried to steady the documentation that threatened to hurl itself across the ground. “Would you mind if I came in? I fear my balance is not quite as good as it once was.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 am

Nao got up from her bow quickly and was immediately concerned that her greeting had contributed to the precarious position that her guest now found himself in. ”Of course, right this way, Hatayama-san,” she offered with a hasty gesture for him to come in. Ahead of his entry, she hurried over to her workspace and pulled off a manila folder full of form revision requests off to clear room for him, setting it on the ground to the side of her desk.

”Was it the front desk guys again? This must be the third time this week we’ve had misfiled requests like that coming through,” she casually remarked as she got back behind her desk in order to be able to brace and prevent the new pile from falling over once he set it down. The previous sets of improperly routed records she’d received had been nothing like the size of what Hatayama had in his hands. She could easily see these taking all day to review, and her supervisor wasn’t going to like that.

She could feel the temptation to use her power to streamline this rising to even greater levels, but she fought it back. She would not give in to temptation. She was a member of First Division and she was going to respect and hone her work product just as a warrior would practice their blade strikes or a healer would study the mystic arts, especially when she was in front of another member of her Division. The thought of what might be said about her upstairs if news got out about her using her talents to speed up work caused Nao’s face to flush red with anxiety as she eyed Hatayama’s approach to her desk.

Last edited by Nao Aoki on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:11 am

Shakily walking into the office he found the prepared space to carefully place the document pile on the workspace. Backing away from it slowly, as if afraid it would suddenly collapse without his physical contact, but after a few seconds and feeling pretty sure it wouldn’t immediately fall over the man let out a sigh.

Brushing his robes to smooth out any creases Zenji offered a grateful bow in the woman’s direction. “Thank you so much for your help, the past few weeks I have been brushed off by the various departments until my supervisor suggested trying forms and processing.” he said straightening up feeling genuinely thankfully that he’d finally found a bureaucrat that wasn’t going to chase him back to the filing rooms.

At her query he gave a tired shrug. “It’s quite possible but many of these are quite old, I think it’s just a systemic problem with some of the Gotei’s archaic filing systems. Keeping on top of data organisation isn’t exactly a top concern to most Shinigami.” he said in the fatalistic tone of someone who’d had the same conversation a dozen times without any satisfying conclusion.

Clasping his hands behind his back the nobleman shook his head before half-smiling in amusement at his thoughts. “If only my family’s library had a text on organisational Kido, a spell to clean up this mess would be most satisfying.”

Sighing as he dismissed the amusing thought and returned to reality Zenji shook his head. “Anyway I tried to work through some of the forms that I recognised but I’m almost certain half of the historic documentation has been since discontinued although I’ve no way to know if they where ever actually processed or if they just got lost at the hands of some apathetic clerical staff.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:06 am

”How old are these anyway?” Nao wondered aloud as she picked up a form from the top and started looking it over. Sure enough, it was using an outdated format. The proper signatures and markings were in place and it could still be routed and archived as it was, but there were several fields that had been added and a few that had been removed which were not present on the report in her hands. This was going to be even more time consuming than she had thought when she first saw the stack.

She set the one she’d grabbed down on her immediate workspace with a grimace and looked back to Zenji. ”Your family has a Kido library?” she asked, his previous statement coming back to her now that she’d actually looked at the forms. A light stammer began to work its way into her speech, and she needed a brief moment to take a deep relaxing breath and calm herself. Why had so many nobles been coming by her office lately? First Helena and now this Zenji. This was an unwelcome trend for her nerves.

Calm enough to speak without a nervous stutter, Nao looked back to Zenji and bowed her head once again, nearly smacking it into her desk in her vigor. ”My apologies, Hatayama-sama, I didn’t know. Someone more suited for the requests we receive from our betters normally handles any requests that come from the nobility, but my supervising officer is out of the building at the moment.”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:05 am

Moving to stand next to Nao so that he could look at the forms she was reviewing the man sighed and gestured at the paper tower. “I don’t believe this one is even that old in comparison. Some of these date back to before the influx because of the… ah what was it called? The Human’s Global War?” he answered with a shrug. Pulling two more from the pile, holding one in each hand, he glanced at the two forms with something approaching the acceptance of a broken man.

Hearing her question Zenji replied distractedly while drawing a few more forms from the pile, one of which was a personnel review form “Hmm? Oh yes.” he responded turning the document sideways in confusion at the almost insane layout. “The records hold historical information too, if you think these are old you should see some of those scrolls. Older than the Soul Society”

Sighing, he dropped the forms messily onto the new pile he had started to create, giving up trying to decipher the contents of some of them. “But the focus has always been the Mystical, yes.”

Folding his arms as he listened to her Zenji nodded before making a motion for her to stop bowing. “Please this isn’t your fault. Perhaps we should just have the forms sent for destruction and put the review files aside for now. I mean considering their age if the submitter hasn’t followed up on the original request then it’s their own fault for not taking ownership of the work and requisition request.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 am

”We shouldn’t destroy them!” Nao exclaimed with a panicked look on her face, both because the idea that this completed paperwork should be thrown out was anathema to what she’d learned in her time in forms and processing as well as the fact that she’d had the audacity to contradict the request of a noble. She hadn’t done something like that since her Academy days, and she’d long since learned her lesson in crossing that social divide.

Blushing and sputtering, she took a moment to calm at least her mouth down. She had already crossed the threshold, and there was no taking that back. If her boss found out she was destroying unprocessed paperwork, she’d be in deep trouble. If word made it back that she’d made a member of the upper crust angry, she’d be in even deeper trouble.

Her face might still be a deep red, but she had at least gotten her lips and breathing under control enough to stop her from making a blubbering fool of herself. It didn’t stop her from talking at a mile a minute, though, and she soon blitzed through her explanation. ”What I mean to say, Hatayama-sama, is that we should still file these. Though the information in them might be outdated, it’s still important that we keep that historical record. You never know when one of the people in these documents might be under consideration for an assignment. It’s also not uncommon for a new supervising officer to request the complete file of any subordinates they are taking over.”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:18 am

Zenji’s eyebrows shot up in surprise at her outburst and raised his hands in a pacifying gesture. “I am just jesting Miss Aoki.” he assured her. Although that was only half true. Honestly the woman seemed to care alot more than he did about these things. He probably would have simply destroyed them. What could the retention period be on these things anyway? A century? Most were nearly there already. Still her genuine reaction caused the man to feel momentarily bad for invoking the sudden outrage. Bowing slightly he added. “Apologies for my poor humour.”

Straightening up he did the proper thing and pretended not to notice her embarrassment at the social faux pas. As a nobleman she technically shouldn’t have spoken to him that way but his Clan had never acted the same way as some of the more… entitled members of their social class did. Besides in these offices they were equals and she was certainly the better at her job between the pair.

When she spoke he blinked for a few moments as his mind tried to catch up with the proverbial flood of words. Respectfully Zenji bowed his head in acknowledgement. “I bow to your experience in these matters. Do they fall under your section for filing or should I bring them somewhere else? After all the only worse thing than no record is having it stuck in the wrong area and making it unfindable.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Meridith likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 pm

Of course it had been a joke! Nao should have known better. The carefree girl with good humor who had entered the Academy nearly a century ago would have understood that, but she’d spent enough time being reprimanded and punished for not taking things seriously enough that she’d long since adopted a policy of implicit trust in anything her superiors were saying to her, and there was no denying that, even if they had the same relative rank, Nao knew that Hatayama was her superior.

”We can handle the routing. It may take a while to get through this many forms, but that’s where the ‘processing’ part of ‘forms and processing’ comes into play,” she remarked as cheerfully as she could, trying desperately to cover up for her prior outburst. ”While it is important they get processed quickly, a few extra days wait won’t hurt them. I’ll also need to prepare letters explaining the delay to the sections they need to route on to. That’s really the most time-consuming task of it all.”

She wasn’t looking forward to that, especially since there was bound to be anger directed at her over the age of the stack on her desk. She couldn’t point the blame at Zenji, though. ”Why not? They’re his files, after all,” that unpleasant voice asked her, but she quickly brushed it aside. She’d sooner fall on the proverbial sword than listen to what the spirit in her literal one was implying she do.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Zenji eyed the files up for a long moment realising he wasn’t going to get the satisfaction of letting them all burn under a glorious application of Shakkahō. A shame really. It would have been the most pleasing use of Kidō that he’d had the chance to employ in years. Still he supposed the job should be done correctly even if he saw no value in it. Smiling he nodded

“Thank you Nao.” he said with a mixture of warm and genuine relief that the problem wasn’t his anymore. “If you come across any that have no avenue for progress have them sent back to Divisional Reports Archives.” he added with a gesture at the mountain of paper. “This is coming from my workstream after all. Also you might want to add an update to whatever work log your supervisor has you update where this stuff came from. That way if he has any issues with it he can bring it to my supervisor.” Or me. Zenji had a bit of a reputation for not taking any shit when it came to stupid issues like inheriting someone elses mistakes and he sure as hell wasn’t going to let himself or Nao come under any pressure because some dipshit had stuck a bunch of paperwork in the wrong place.

Smiling pleasantly the man stood up straighter than he’d managed to in days. This was the last part of a particularly nasty piece of reorganisation that had suddenly been thrown on his desk by an apathetic superior. Getting it out of the way would be satisfying even if it was likely replaced by another equally unpleasant task soon after. Such was the way of things.

“You’ve really helped me out here.” he thanked her bowing once more. “I owe you for saving me from this headache. If there’s anything I can do to repay it just let me know.”

Zenji was a generous man but he disliked owing others. He supposed it was a trait engraved in him thanks to his father. He’d been raised to give and look after others as part of his Clan duties but he’d never been taught how to be comfortable when receiving any form of gift be it materialistic or simple aid.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:23 pm

”Do it,” her spirit bluntly urged at the offer of repayment. She knew it was just an offer of kindness, but she dreaded hearing Murat drone on and on whenever a mistake presented itself that she needed to make use of that favor. What would she even ask for in return from someone like him that wouldn’t be a gross overstepping of her bounds, though?

She had been quiet and polite at his initial sign of appreciation, merely nodding along in understanding and accepting that, under no circumstances, would she be directing her supervisor to anyone in Zenji’s station. The nobility had priorities and abilities that superseded that of common Shinigami, a simple fact of life she had come to accept. As she thought back to the day that acceptance crystallized for her, a idea struck Nao. She could ask something of him, and she knew that if she didn’t it wouldn’t just be Murat hounding her over it. She’d be beating herself up.

Her recent conversation with Helena, coupled with the potentially deadly meeting with the shaman Anatoly, had made her realize just how much she had regretted what happened. It wouldn’t even be a big ask for him to do it. Just a friendly question to the right people and she’d know. She didn’t know what she would do with that knowledge, but she suspected just knowing would be enough to silence her thoughts.

”Do you mean it? she asked as she tried to suppress her nerves, her hands trembling slightly. She pressed them together to hide the shaking as best she could before continuing. ”You’d be willing to do something for me? Nothing crazy, obviously, but you’d do something to help me out?”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Meridith likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Zenji frowned in confusion at her tone but what worried more was the slight trembling of her hands. Bemusement was swiftly transformed to concern. Was the girl in trouble? His cousin Zâbel had often harped on and on about how ignorant he was of society outside of the Clan and how little he knew about the struggles of the everyday man. When she was giving her sermons she was usually talking about the poor of the outer Rukongai but what if the same was suffered by some of the countless common, lowborn, unseated Shinigami as well?

Doing his best to put on an encouraging smile Zenji nodded at the woman. “Yes, of course Nao.” he said in a friendly tone to try and put her at ease, he might not understand her hesitation but he saw it existed and was doing his best to alleviate it. “I may not look like much but I will certainly do my best to fulfil whatever it is you need.” he added with good humour.

He meant it to. If the poor woman was in some sort of trouble then surely Zenji could harness his Clan’s wealth if it were financially related, he had heard people sometimes owed money to the wrong people, or if it was unsavoury sorts threatening his fellow Shinigami he was sure he could muster up a few of the Shinigami from the Noble Clans to pay them a visit.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:13 pm

”Well, and if this causes you any trouble then feel free to say no, but I had this,” she started, pausing for a bit. What were they? He had been special to her, but after what happened with them, she hadn’t been allowed anywhere near him. Someone had made sure that her supervising officer had routed any and all paperwork related to the reclusive Shinigami to someone else, so she found no way to keep tabs on him even from a basic administrative perspective. When she, after years of being kept in the dark, finally worked up the courage to ask why, she’d been told to just act as if he’d died that day.

She had truly cared for him, and he had been the one person not just inside their walls but in the whole world who she could actually fully relax around. If it hadn’t been for his position of prestige, perhaps these restrictions wouldn’t have been in place, but there was no changing that. He was her better, and she was simply unworthy. Her guest, however, he wouldn’t raise any eyebrows by just asking a few questions. Maybe a few years after the fact he might, but it had been nearly a century.

”There was someone who was special to me, but we haven’t talked in a long time. I’d, if you could, as long as it doesn’t cause you any trouble, but don’t mention my name, just quietly, I’d really like to,” she started, quickly devolving into a string of nervous qualifiers.

”Fucking spit it out already.”

The rude interruption broke her chain of thought, causing her to raise her eyebrows slightly and glance down at the tanto on her hip. With a sigh, she cleared her head and readdressed her guest. ”His name is Tetsuya Akimoto, of the noble Akimoto house. If you could look into how he’s doing and let me know, I’d be more than happy to handle this and any other misplaced files you come across.”

Last edited by Nao Aoki on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Meridith likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Zenji braced himself for what was to come. What sort of horrors did she need help with? What kind of dark hole had she got trapped in and needed saving from? His imagination was running wild with all sorts of insane dilemmas and plots of poorly written mystery novels.

When her question finally came he blinked in surprise. “Tetsuya? I know Lord Tetsuya Akimoto.” he replied with visible confusion. Of course he knew him, aside from the Hatayama Clan they were perhaps the only other Family that matched his own in terms of Mystical Lore. “I mean… really is that all?” he added looking very clearly perplexed by the request.

Why couldn’t she just go herself? How hard could it be to visit the Estate, knock on the door and say “Hey how’s Tetsuya? Can I speak with him?”. Hells wasn’t he working for the Third or something? Just pop into his office for lunch, right?

Tilting his head he frowned. “That is a simple matter. If there’s anything else though, I mean this hardly feels like I’m repaying you at all”

Pausing the Shinigami frowned slightly in thought. ”Did something happen to him?” he asked before raising his hands. “I just mean you seem concerned. I haven’t seen him in a while, was he injured or come down with some illness?” If either of those were the case he could bring one of the Kaido experts of his Clan with him to check in on the man.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 pm

It felt good to have it finally out of her mouth. Decades of waiting and wondering, a normal human lifetime kept lingering on that secret wish, only for it to finally be given a voice. Forget good, this was exhilarating. Just saying his name had been enough to conjure up images of happier, freer days. Days spent talking about the future, ravenously devouring any knowledge they could get their hands on, and wondering countless what if’s.

She could see it now. He’d talk to Tetsuya, her old friend would hear about her requesting it, he’d hatch some plan to get away from his family, and together they would leave this dreary office and go for a walk by their old hiding places. Maybe then she’d finally find it in herself to say some of the things she should have said back then. Shinigami lived for ages. 80 years was a drop in the bucket, a few weeks away on a business trip for a mortal. They could pick up right where they left off.

Where they left off.

The question hit her and dragged her back to reality, her previously soaring heart crashing down into a deeper pit than it had originally been in. Of course none of her daydreams would come true. They never did. That’s why they were dreams.

Tetsuya had a family, a powerful family with many Shinigami. It had been a dumb stroke of fate that his niece or cousin or whatever Helena was had come to her office and drudged up all these old feelings. The rest of his family would not be so understanding. Helena might not be so understanding if she knew the truth, either.

She could feel tears starting to well up in her eyes and quickly diverted her gaze upward to keep them from falling. She’d already had her vision bouncing all around the room. What was a quick look upward going to do to change his opinion of her, anyway? Bringing a hand up to brush away the pooled liquid once she felt she could safely look down, she missed a single thick droplet that quickly made its way down her cheek as she reestablished her gaze with Zenji.

”I’m not allowed to talk to him,” she explained, deciding there was no point in hiding the reason she was making her request. Her voice broke from the effort of keeping the tears back, but she managed to not break down any further thanks to the effort. ”I’m the reason he was hurt.”

Last edited by Nao Aoki on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:36 pm

The confused frown shifted to one of alarm as the woman turned back to him and he saw the tear running down her face. ‘You damned moron, why did you have to ask questions.’ he silently reprimanded himself in annoyance. Nao did him a favour and so he did what? Brought up bad memories and made her miserable. ‘Idiot!’

Pushing his robe sleeves together, his hands vanishing beneath the loose garments and he nodded. It was not his place to pry any further into this, clearly she was talking about a private issue however if his fellow nobleman was injured it was his place to help. “Very well I shall see what I can do.” he paused and took a deep breath. “Is he currently injured? If so I can bring a Kaidō expert with me on a visit to the Clan Estate.” he added as gently as he was capable of.

He had no idea what had happened between this young lady and Tetsuya. She had asked for such a little thing and yet it seemed to have an insanely profound effect on the poor woman. He’d seen others like her before, suffering because of the past and their own internal conflicts which they had never managed to find closure on.

Clearing his throat he glanced away. “Were you aware that my Clan’s estate is open to the public? There is a Shrine and a beautiful garden where one can either view the flowers for one’s own relaxation or even a meditation area for silent contemplation.” he said conversationally. “I myself find a quiet walk away from the endless work of the Division to be quite refreshing.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:52 pm

”If you do bring a healer along, they’ll know I sent you,” she said dejectedly before trying to put on a halfway passable it’ll be okay face, ”I just want to know how he’s doing is all. It’s not my place to be seen on a noble’s grounds, even if it’s open to the public. I’d love to go, and I appreciate the offer, but I’m sure your family wouldn’t like seeing the rabble hanging around.”

She gave a little huffing laugh at that, her eyes falling back on the pile of work on her desk, not just the new addition he had brought but her own previously existing collection. This was going to take weeks if not months to get through everything and, with the rest of her team being given extra personal hours as reward for the unit exceeding its metrics goals, she had to double down on her work again.

It always seemed that, somehow, they managed to clear through literally the same amount of work that she ended up falling behind. If Nao had the backbone to say something about it, she might have even asked her supervisor why it was that depositing the papers on her desk counted as them clearing things away but she was forbidden from doing the same back to them. With a resigned gesture to her stack and a defeated smile, she explained to him in a less sad, but somehow more depressing voice. ”Besides, I really shouldn’t let my work sit. My supervising officer wouldn’t be happy if it turned out I was relaxing right now. I went away from the office on assignment a little while ago and my IPQ, that's Inbound Paperwork Quota, tripled in size in the matter of a day.”

Last edited by Nao Aoki on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Zenji rubbed his chin. “Hmm not necessarily.” he said thoughtfully. “My social peers are chatterboxes when it comes to things like injuries, it wouldn’t be difficult to feign I had merely heard gossip. I will meditate on this, I wouldn’t want to get you drawn into any further trouble.”

The nobleman shook his head. “Ah my apologies, I just assumed you knew. The Gardens and Shrine are open to all citizens of the Soul Society. It’s an old tradition of the Clan that we’re quite proud of.” Not to mention the majority of the Clan came from the Rukongai but there was no point boring the poor woman with the details of how his Family operated.

The woman looked miserable and it was killing Zenji that he had little solutions to her issues other than offering her a tranquil place to steal away a few hours a day from her work. When she spoke of her workload the Shinigami’s frown deepened. “You need to have reasonable work hours. A person, no matter how tireless, can’t work forever before the mind starts to suffer.” he said seriously. Perhaps that was something he could look into as a method of repaying her favour. Whilst he might just be an unseated officer Zenji wouldn’t take seeing his colleague being abused by a supervisor who was either too hateful or incompetent to manage her workload properly.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:55 am

”Oh, I get breaks,” she said reassuringly with a dismissive wave of her hand, ”My supervising officer gives me nights off as long as my metrics for the day are good and, if I finish enough of my assigned work, I’m able to take a day off once a month. My numbers are behind the rest of the team this month, so no luck there, but, if it really is free to the public, I could make a trip by on my next day off.”

”Pathetic.”

She ignored the slight from her spirit as best she could, opting to attribute it to her failings in the office than to how lacking she was in any semblance of a spine. Yes, the rest of her office usually only put in 30 hours of work individually in any given week, but Nao either didn’t or wouldn’t make the connection to the fact that her ‘poor’ performance was down to her covering for their workload and not an actual lack of effort on her part.

”Actually, if,” she started, a sudden idea hitting her and causing her eyes to brighten up slightly. She could have him ask Tetsuya to meet her there! If someone saw them, it was a public garden and she had just happened to be there at the same time as him. They could find a nice big tree and just sit and talk to each other like they used to. It was perfect! As long as his family didn’t find out, they’d have nothing to worry about.

Zenji’s previous statements echoed in her mind. ”My social peers are chatterboxes,” he had said. Whatever she told him stood the very real chance of getting out. Maybe not through Zenji, but someone at his estate would be bound to see it and bound to report back. Never mind the troubles that might cause her, his family could crack back down on him again. No, her idea was beyond stupid. With a quick shake of her head, the brief genuine happiness she had felt faded back to her previous forced professional politeness. ”No, that’s silly. Nevermind. Just letting me know how he’s doing and offering your garden is more than enough. Really, I shouldn’t be asking for anything. This kind of stuff is my duty, after all.”
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:31 am

Zenji raised an eyebrow “You get nights of if the days metrics are good.” he stated incredulously. “We have very different definitions of work Miss Aoki.”

The Nobleman was a Soul Reaper because he felt it was his duty, as a nobleman, to contribute. However even as Shinigami in a largely administrative job he was fully aware of how pointless their paperpushing was in the large scale of things, or even the small scale, it really was just a waste of time. Somewhere to put the unpromising Soul Reapers who weren’t cut out for actual Gotei responsibilities. In many ways he had come to terms with it but it still stung sometimes, which is why he preferred not to think about it too deeply.

All that aside however it was laughable to think that some poor soul was being forced to languish in these dreary offices doing what basically amounted to busy work for literal days on end because they “didn’t meet their quota”.

‘I strongly suspect my friend here is being taken advantage of.’ he thought to himself with growing certainty.

Hearing Nao begin as if to ask him for something, hopefully more substantial, the Soul Reaper smiled. “Yes?”

However she petered off. “Are you sure? There’s no harm in asking.” he assured her. With a slight tilt of his head he added. “I will of course still check in on him in your place, subtly of course. Although you mentioned not being allowed, do you want me to tell him in confidence that you were asking after his wellbeing? Or is this a secret even from Lord Akimoto?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 am

This Zenji, he was deadest on throwing Nao through a rollercoaster of emotion. Sure, she’d thought about how great it would be if Testuya happened to find out about it from Zenji, but could she be so bold as to actually request that her name be mentioned? It was certainly crossing the line between a check-in and trying to find her way back into his life.

”Just do it already. He’s practically begging you to use him.”

Nao hated that thought. She wasn’t supposed to use people. It was the way of the world for that to go the other way around. She was the helper, the assistant, the one whose work made the important person shine. Aside from those three years she spent glued to Tetsuya’s side, she had always served as best she could in a supporting role. She’d supported Tetsuya too, but he had bolstered her and lifted her up along with him instead of just using her as a footstool.

”Do it,” she said, a little surprised that she managed to work up the will to say the words. She had almost mirrored Murat’s irritated blunt insistence from earlier and, though it made her feel a little dirty to compare herself to her spirit, that feeling was overpowered by a rare upwelling of confidence. ”Tell him I’m asking. If he’d like to meet me again, I can do it at any time or place. I’ll skip sleeping if I have to so I can have a day off for him.”

She wasn't sure where the will to say that came from and doubted she'd be able to find it again if she had to, but she'd gotten through it. Her heart and mind were racing and her face was flushed scarlet with mingled embarrassment and excitement, but there was no turning back now. Once Zenji stepped out of her office, she wouldn't have any way to claw that back. The way he'd been talking to her seemed more genuine than most Shinigami she was used to dealing with, and a large part of her believed that, even if she told him no at this point, he'd still likely reach out to Tetsuya. They had been old acquaintances after all, and her mentioning his injury would no doubt make the man want to check in independent of anything Nao said or did.
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 am

The nobleman bowed his head in acknowledgement, and partially in relief, when the girl finally stated her desire. He believed in contemplative self-assessment, careful consideration but Nao seemed to have a talent for not saying what she wanted to. There was a difference between taking time to make up one’s mind and knowing your mind but being afraid to speak it out, the first was wisdom, the second was foolishness.

“I shall do so, happily. I imagine it won’t take too long, it shouldn’t be too difficult to visit the home of a friend after all, and I shall inform you of his well being and any response he may have for you.”

Zenji was beginning to imagine the pair must have had some form of illicit affair. Such things were common amongst the nobility who liked to toy with the naive, young and beautiful commoners from the Rukongai who didn’t understand the natural order of things. Tetsuya certainly hadn’t seemed the sort for such dalliances so it left the entire matter rather confounding.

“You will not be skipping any sleep however. Work and go home, get some rest.” he said sternly with much the same energy as a worrisome mother. “Should you need it I can always cover your shift.” he assured her offhandedly.

‘By that I mean I’ll work the normal hours then punch your moron Supervisor in the throat if he tries to call either of us out on it.’

Hearing footsteps, heavy and unsteady, the classical tread of the bloated middle management. “Well I should be going before either of us does get in trouble for dallying around instead of working.” he said with a warm smile. “If you need to redirect any of the paperwork back to my office and, if you need anything, you know where Divisional Reports Archives are.” And if she didn’t it would hardly be hard to find.

Bowing politely he finished with a “Miss Aoki.”

Turning he headed for her door and back to his office already planning the visit to the Akimoto Estate.

//EXIT
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Aine Hayes likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nao Aoki Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 am

She dismissed his concerns with agreeable nods of affirmation, but Nao knew there was no chance she would be calling on Zenji to help her with her work. What he was doing was already more help than she could have ever asked for anyone, even if a part of her was full of dread over the possibility of blowback.

Her supervising officer was, she suspected, aware of enough of what had happened between her and Tetsuya that any rumors of what she had arranged with Zenji passing over her boss’ desk would land her in a whole mess of trouble. Zenji would be safe, no doubt, as his rank within the upper crust of society would make his indiscretions negligible.

There would be time for her to agonize over how stupid she’d been to make the request in the future. Whatever came of it, she had to imagine that anything her supervisor could throw at her would dwarf in comparison to the irritation Murat could have caused for her not doing something with the offer, and at least this option got her something that she actually wanted rather than giving in to his interior decorating suggestions. She couldn’t deny that the man had a nice office, but there was no way she could in good conscience misappropriate enough funds to work in anything nearing the level of luxury she saw when Anatoly shoved her inside of that room.

All concerns for later, though. She politely escorted Zenji from her office, carefully avoiding her new pile of work on the way and preparing to get the door for him. ”I’ll be sure to call on you if I need any help, Hatayama-sama,” she replied to his departing address with a deep bow of her own, ”Really, I can’t thank you enough for looking into this for me. If you get any more files that seem out of place, please don’t hesitate to bring them down and I’ll make sure they are properly taken care of and routed.”

Seeing him away with a smile, she waited until he was out of sight to close her door. Nao pivoted back to look at her desk and, instead of heading back to her chair, dropped down into a small ball up against her door, thoughts ranging from the trouble she’d be in, the amount of work she’d just agreed to take on, and a million different fantasy date ideas running through her mind in a chaotic mess.

Perhaps she was dizzy from the confusion, but Nao soon found a sense of lightheadedness overtaking her as her own ideas and worries ran rampant in her mind. Whatever the case, she soon found herself seated cross the desk from the man she’d previously watched do battle against Anatoly using her form. She wanted to yell at him, to berate him, to tell him to stop interrupting her thoughts and let her be. Her angry raised finger soon drooped slightly as she saw him smiling earnestly, though.

”He’s right, you know?” the businessman said as he stood up a tall glass in his hand, ”You need to learn to relax.” She watched as he walked over to his bar and mixed her a drink, his back to her the whole time, strangely unable to come up with any particular insult to hurl his way. When he turned back, the glass was full of a dark liquid and had a metal straw poking out of the top.

Setting it on a coaster in front of her, he gave her a pat on the shoulder. ”Finish that and I’ll let you go. Don’t chug it, though. It’s called an Inin-jō.”

”Inin-jō…” she muttered reflexively, momentarily forgetting that it was the word he told her to use to draw her out. ”"Murat-" she started, turning around to say something to him about how she needed to get back to work, but he had already vanished by the time she did. Not wanting to try blindly braving the halls looking for him or a way out, she eventually gave in and did as he requested, sipping at the sweet drink and finding her mind delightfully blanking out.

It wasn’t until she reached the bottom of the glass that she snapped back awake. She was still seated against the wall, but something horrifying had happened. Her desk was clear of paper. Along the walls of her office, in neat individual perfectly formed stacks, sat every form she had been working on earlier as well as those Zenji had left behind.

”Murat, you son of a bitch!” She was furious, standing up and storming about the room. She could hear the spirit laughing at the back of her mind uproariously. Sure enough, he had somehow tricked her into using her power to complete all of her work. She didn’t know how long she had been out, but her back certainly felt like she had been uncomfortably stationary for a few hours at least.

”I can’t believe you fell for that. Thanks, Nao. I would have gouged my other eye out if I had to sit there and watch you sort all of that for the next month just so you could go on a fucking date.”

The laughter continued, though it faded away some as she started looking over the nearest pile, carefully reviewing his work for any errors. She might have subconsciously agreed to let him help her cheat and speed through the forms, but she wasn’t going to risk submitting anything that that man had touched until she was confident that nothing was out of place.

//END
Nao Aoki
Nao Aoki

Aine Hayes likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum