Bleach Sakura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost [Reika/Closed]

2 posters

Go down

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost [Reika/Closed] Empty Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost [Reika/Closed]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Sitting in his office the new Third Seat leant back in his chair after having signed off numerous research requests to access certain documents. It was funny how it always seemed to come back to forms, documentation and processing requests. As the Chief Archivist he had ultimate authority over the Gotei’s Six Grand Library with the only person able to override him being the Captain. Officially anyway. Likely the Captain-Commander to usurp the authority of the Third Division’s Captain if he wanted.

However his authority wasn’t just about granting access to the documentation it was also looking after the library to make sure it was kept organised, that the contents were kept safe and most importantly, that the forbidden section was properly secured.

The Forbidden Section. Zenji had spent literal days there after he healed up from the injuries he received in the challenge. He’d poured over all sorts of texts which ranged from rituals to rip open doorways between realms to theories on time reversal. It was fascinating and, understandably, secret. There was also an unspoken rule of the Third Seat. They could learn these Forbidden Kidō but they couldn’t use them. A rather odd distinction considering how you couldn’t really learn the Demon Arts without actually casting them.

Within the first few days of his obtaining office Zenji had made a contribution to the Division. He had copies of certain mystical texts belonging to his Clan transported to the Grand Library to add to the already vast collection of great works. The news had spread much swifter than Zenji had suspected and it turned out, unsurprisingly, that the Division of Kidō nerds had looked upon the offering with great favour. Zenji had gone from newcomer to a welcomed back former member of great promise. Funny that.

A knock on the door caused the Noble to look up as the familiar elderly one armed man entered. Souji Hayashi had, despite his cut off arm, refused to take a break and instead simply asked if he could serve as Zenji’s assistant in his new role. The new Chief Archivist had offered him another Seated Position but the man had refused stating he preferred to work in the library. So, instead, Zenji had compromised. Souji could work under him but would have to be removed from active duty and volunteer for part-time teaching at the Academy. Last time Zenji had been there, when he himself had taught a practical class, he’d noticed the quality of education was not quite what it should have been. Souji, surprisingly, had leapt at the offer. Apparently the idea of teaching appealed greatly to the senior Shnigami. In fact that was where he had just returned from.

“Ah Souji. How did your first lesson go?”

Souji, so much less prideful than when they first met, smiled warmly at his new superior. “It was quite wonderful. You were correct however. The teaching staff are not up to scratch, something needs done there.”

Leaning back in his chair Zenji sighed. “Unfortunately I had suspected that was the case. I think we can agree the issue is not limited to just the academy.”

Souji, dropping into the chair across from his commander’s desk, nodded sadly. “Aye and I was blind to it.”

Waving the other man’s guilty words aside he shook his head. He couldn’t blame him. The entire senior staff of the Gotei 6 seemed infected with this odd apathy and, well, weakness. But Souji had swiftly lost it upon his insistence at serving the man who’d defeated him.

“One step at a time. On a purely selfish note if we can make sure the Kido Classes improve that benefits our Division. The wider problem might be more difficult but I shall speak to Third Seat Aoki about it. The Academy falls under her Division’s oversight.”

Clearing his throat he nodded slightly. “Anyway can you make sure these permission forms are delivered to the research department?” he asked.

Hayashi smiled and lifted the forms gracefully, having adjusted to one hand already, “No problem Chief Archivist.” he assured him. Despite Zenji having managed to get the older man to drop a lot of formality when in private he seemed insistent on using his new superior’s title. Zenji suspected it had something to do with wanting to make sure the rest of the divisions accepted the authority of their new Third Seat. “Oh and about that other thing, she’s here. She just signed in at the Entrance Hall.”

Zenji grinned and pushed himself to his feet. “Excellent and Hayashi...”

“Sir?.”

Please visit the Head of the Medical Department for a check up. I do want to make sure my second has both of his hands available for use next time we need to actually deploy combat squads.”

Hayashi chuckled and with a nod left the office.

Striding out the door Zenji paused momentarily to lock his private office door before nodding to his secretary as he passed her desk in the outer office which served as a reception area for any meetings or appointments he had. It was strange to think how far he’d come in such a small period of time. He briefly wondered how much it must have shook Nao. For Zenji he had experience commanding his Clan and household staff but for the meek woman it must have been very strange.

I’ll have to arrange for us to have dinner soon to catch up. We can discuss the Academy then.’

Making his way to the Entrance Hall of the Divisional building Zenji couldn’t help but smile. He’d intercepted a low level request for a guide to walk a new graduate around the Division from one Reika. He hadn’t met the fiery haired woman since her visit to the First Division and it was very likely she hadn’t heard of his sudden rise from a nothing paper pusher to the Third Seat of the Third Division. He wanted to surprise her and this seemed a fun way to do it.

Eventually he reached the front of the compound and easily made out the woman from her bright red hair.

Approaching her he smiled broadly. “Hello again Miss Reika. How are you?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost [Reika/Closed] Empty Re: Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost [Reika/Closed]

Post by Reika Suzumei Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:46 pm

A dull ache met Reika as she signed in at the front desk of the third division. Her fight a few days prior had left her a bit of a mess. Even after getting healed up, there was still a heavy ache in her left shoulder that made her grimace in pain with each use. The whole affair had even made her reconsider coming in for the tour. But, hey, she got here without getting lost this time.

Moving aside for any other visitors, Reika leaned her back against the desk, staring out into the lobby without focusing on anything. Her mind kept flashing back to the fight, replaying it over and over again. That rage she felt, the blood that was spilled, the dread of facing someone so much stronger than she was.

You can do better.

Stop.

Ever since that day, she had the unfortunate privilege of being able to talk to her. There was never a moment of quiet when she needed it and it was beginning to become annoying to the point of her wanting to cast the damn sword into the abyss. He was now a part of her that couldn’t depart and she was the same to him. How did the others in the Gotei deal with these meddling creatures?

The same as you and I deal with each other.

Would you just be quiet for a moment!?

Reika shook her head in frustration as she rolled her eyes. In the moment of dealing with her pesky spirit, she barely registered someone speaking to her. There he was, Zenji. What in the world was he doing here? Probably bringing some paperwork over or some other bureaucratic nonsense. But it was still nice to see a friendly face again.

“Zenji!” She beamed, quickly hugging the man, overjoyed to see him in person. “It’s so good to see you again! We’ve got so much to talk about.” The woman released him from the embrace and took a step back with a small giggle. “A lot has happened since we last met.”

Don’t go jumping the gun.

“Oh.” She blinked for a moment. “Er- after I do my tour though if you’re free.” Hopefully, he could find some time to set aside so that they could chat. He seemed to be the only person in the Gotei that actually cared about her progress. Surely he’d want to know about her being able to release her shikai so quickly after leaving the academy! Zenji would have to be proud of her.

For sure he would.
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost [Reika/Closed] Empty Re: Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost [Reika/Closed]

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:30 am

Laughing Zenji returned the hug with a smile, grimacing slightly as he grabbed him, the wound which had been a literal hole in his chest only a few days prior still aching despite the masterful Kaido administrations of Nao. “You will have to tell me all about it then.” he told her pleasantly.

“Oh I’m sure I can find the time but, we may have time before the end of your tour.”

Zenji smiled at her confusion before adding. “I shall be showing you around the Third Division today.” he added with obvious amusement before adding. “I’ll try and make it a little more exciting than the First Division tour had been. I know you mentioned an interest in the Demon Arts, and I have not forgotten my promises for tutorship, so hopefully you find something interesting here.”

Gesturing for her to follow Zenji would begin to lead her into the complex from the reception area. “I recently transferred back to the Third, less than a week ago in fact.” he told her. “Come we’ll find somewhere to talk before I lead you on the tour, perhaps we can hone down areas you’re more interested in visiting.”

As they walked down the hall the occasional Shinigami in the hallway would bow their heads in the direction of the pair and Zenji would smile and nod in return. It soon became very obvious that the men and women of the Third were giving a lot of respect to, what Reika still thought to be, an unimportant paper pusher. The fact that something was amiss would not take long in figuring out. Eventually reaching the Third Seat’s office Zenji led Reika inside and, pausing to ask the receptionist to hold any messages for him, he would lead her inside and close the door.

The huge office was more like a study than a business area. The walls were lined with extremely well crafted bookshelves filled with manuscripts on Hado, Bakudo, Kaido and everything in between. There was also a section for sitting, western style couches, with a coffee table as well as the large central desk which Zenji sat at to do most of his paperwork. Then, of course, was the area off to one side for brewing tea, it was something the Hatayama Lord had insisted be installed after taking over the position of Third Seat. He’d rather prepare his own than constantly asking his receptionist to order some for him.

Gesturing to the sitting area Zenji smiled. “Take a seat please. Tea?”

Walking over to the corner he busied himself preparing the tea, using Kido to heat up the water, before glancing over his shoulder at Reika. “Ah I should probably have mentioned. I’m the Third Seat, or Chief Archivist, of the Third Division now.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:44 pm

So he was going to be the one showing her around. Reika raised a brow at that fact - why would someone from the first division even be leading a tour here in the third? Even with him leading her around, she doubted he could make it more exciting than the time before. What was he going to do, pull out some sparklers and dance?

Your thoughts are wandering.

Reika frowned at Boreas' interruption as Zenji dropped a surprising fact: he’d transfer back to the third. Certainly a pleasant surprise! To have a familiar face, a friend show her around once again. “Welcome back.” She said with a smile as she followed his lead.

It was oddity after oddity. All the shinigami that they passed along the way kept bowing their heads to Zenji. Why? He was just a low-level paper-pusher. Did he truly hold that much clout in his old division? Reika found herself uncomfortable with each passing glance until they made their way into a rather large office. A sigh of relief left her as Zenji gestured to a seat.

The redhead relaxed into her chair as she looked around the office, seeing all sorts of items that seemed to scream that this was Zenji’s office. First, there was all the head bowing, the receptionist outside the office, and now this office. What exactly was going on here? Then it hit, Zenji said he was the third seat of the third division!

“Huh!?” Reika gave a surprised look at the man, she was completely gobsmacked by this. It couldn’t be true, right?

Speak, you fool.

Shut it!

“C-congratulations!” She managed to pipe up. “That’s one heck of a surprise!” This wasn’t what she was expecting at all. Is this what he meant by making her tour ‘a little more exciting’?

“It would seem a lot has happened to both of us since we last met. Between you becoming a seated member of the third and me managing to release my shikai in a fight with that scraggly bearded dork in the sixth.”
She laughed, feeling nervous about actually talking to a seated officer this time. Her mouth wouldn’t stop moving even though he was what she considered a friend. “I’d call it a draw, I think. I dunno. I found myself waking up alone in the garden there. My shoulder is still killing me though.”

You’re running your mouth again. Calm.

Reika blinked in realization as Boreas pointed out she was blathering on and on. Nervous laughter left her as she ran her hands over her face, dropping them back into her lap. “Eh, sorry. Tea would be lovely.”

Last edited by Reika Suzumei on Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Laughing softly the man smiled as he prepared the hot beverage at her obvious surprise. It was one of the most enjoyable outcomes of the promotion aside from the job itself. He loved how shocked people were at the one hundred year veteran of the reporting departments jumping up to one of the most senior ranks in the Gotei. “Thank you. The Challenge against the former Third Seat was a close thing but I managed to win, just about.”

Hearing her the man turned around and raised an eyebrow in surprise. “You’ve unlocked Shikai? Already?” he asked in surprise. “That’s a real accomplishment for such a recent graduate. Some would call that prodigy level of skill you know.” he told her with a smile. To think she had been so unsure of herself the last they spoke and yet now she had unlocked a power greater than many Shinigami ever managed to reach. “Congratulations to yourself.”

Carrying the tea over once prepared he put it upon the desk and took a seat on the armchair beside the couch. “If you’re hurt I can ask one of our healers to have a look, it is the Divisions main purpose after all.” he told her with a smile before raising his arm and wiggling the fingers of his right hand. “They grew my hand back for me after a rather unfortunate encounter while on patrol.”

Pouring the tea into their bowls, first for Reika, then for himself the man smiled. “This shaggy man from the Sixth? Who was he?” Zenji asked with curiosity. “It seems fights between our peers and members of the Sixth are unusually common. I had to break up such a fight between a member of the Fifth and one of the Sixth’s Soldiers a few weeks ago.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Reika couldn’t help but grin with Zenji congratulated her for the feat she had done. Certainly, it was rare for someone out of the academy to do something, but so was the situation that she was in to begin with. All that frustration of seeing everyone having their own place and propose in the Gotei, all the time spent just trying to make it through the day, just everything seemed to explode forth when dealing with that ‘Bill’ character from the sixth.

Zenji calling her a prodigy for releasing the shikai was unfounded to the redhead. There was nothing that screamed it. No great lineage to call forth to back up such claims. She was just Reika, a simple soul from the districts. She found herself waving off the compliment. “Naaaah. Just lucky, I’d say.” She gave him a short laugh, scooting to the edge of her seat as the man sat down the finished tea upon his desk.

It was one thing to hear about the third division’s capabilities with the demon arts, but to see that they were able to regrow limbs was far beyond what the young shinigami could ever imagine. “You really got to hand it to those healers.” It may have been in poor taste, however, that pun was ripe for the picking. “I’ll have to take you up on that offer. My left shoulder is still killing me after trying to heal it myself.”

This was neither here nor there. Reika was here for a tour, now she’s sitting in a seated officer’s office enjoying tea. Most shinigami would kill for an opportunity to do this without talking about work. It was casual, informal. A far cry from that battle she had with Bill - she needed this. It was unfortunate that he had to be brought up again by Zenji.

A soft sigh left Reika, “He said his name was Bill.” She raised her right arm high above her head. “Tall… maybe a good thirty centimeters taller than me. Might as well have been a giant.” Dropping the hand, she tapped her chin with her index finger. “Oh! Bill wore glasses and mocked me with horrible puns. The guy is strong enough to take a full-force attack from my shikai with his sealed zanpakuto.” Reika gave a small grimace at the thought of her own stupidity. “That whole thing was kinda stupid. I let my emotions get the better of me. You wouldn't happen to know him would you?”
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:30 pm

There was a loud clink as Zenji nearly dropped his tea bowl as he lifted it off the table, for a moment he stared in shock at Reika in an expression approaching horror. Clearing his throat he lifted his tea and leant back in his seat. “You’re lucky to be alive.” he muttered with a shake of his head. “The man you mentioned is actually called Lord Watari, the head of Clan Suzumei. They’re the most powerful Aristocratic Clan at the moment. He’s also the newest Third Seat of the Sixth Division.”

Not to mention all the other things Zenji had learnt about the man. His murder of the other innocent nobles of the Seireitei, the slaughtering of the former Third Seat instead of properly challenging her, his wishes to annihilate the rightful justicial body of the Soul Society so that he could assume more power. There were so many horrific qualities to the man. He was surprised Reika was still alive.

“I would deal with him cautiously if I were you.” he murmured sipping his tea before adding. “Or perhaps simply try to stay away from him altogether.”

Smiling slightly Zenji banished Watari from his thoughts and shook his head. Looking at his right hand he smirked and tapped his fingers across the side of the tea bowl. “The Third are the best at what we do.” he added.

Frowning slightly he pondered something that had been said earlier by Reika and titled his head slightly. “Tell me something Reika, are you still interested in learning Kidō? Whether Kaidō, Bakudō or Hadō.” he asked her. “If so, and you’re still trying to consider which Division would suit you best, I would be more than happy to approve you for joining the Third.” he told her. “That way I can conduct your training myself. Also, as Chief Archivist, I have final authority over who can study the Demon Arts within the Grand Library. I’d of course give you authority to the non-restricted section.”

There was more to the offer than that of course but he needed to gauge her interest first.
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:01 am

The jovial mood in the room seemed to shift as Zenji nearly dropped his tea bowl. The man looked as if he had witnessed a ghost, er- something horrifying. All of this because she described the man she had fought? Odd.

So it appeared that ‘Bill’ wasn’t, well, Bill. Instead, it was a pseudonym for the man named Watari Suzumei. Why in the world would a noble want to even hide who they were? The man obviously had nothing to hide with a power like that! And with a power like his, no wonder Reika had so much trouble with him. She managed to fight a seated officer and walked away with only minor injuries. Perhaps it was all luck she walked away, at least with the way Zenji was talking.

“Ya know, I just can’t seem to stop running into trouble.” She said with a sigh, picking up the tea bowl. “Still, my fight with this ‘Lord Watari’, as you call him, pushed me to my limits and helped me connect to my zanpakuto. So there’s a plus.”

Sipping from the tea bowl, Zenji queried her about Kidō and whether or not she was interested. Of course, she was! There was no doubt about that in her mind. Proficiency in simply zanjutsu was out of the question if she were to try to get anywhere in the Gotei. There were too many ways that an opponent or hollow could take advantage of her with their own skills. Watari proved to the redhead the usefulness of the skill and the need to be able to counter it.

Now Zenji was offering her a chance to join the Third, the very division that excelled in the art. Adding to the bonus of being accepted by her friend, he could train her and allow her to go to the Grand Library. What was there not to like about it?

Nearly choking on her tea at the offer, Reika sat her tea bowl down on the table and cleared her throat. “I’d have to say: Where do I sign up and how quickly can we begin!?”

Excitement couldn’t really be contained as the woman fidgeted in her seat. This was her chance to dive headlong into training. A chance to improve! Finally, a division to call home. Reika realized her thrilling attitude might have been rather off-putting. Calming down, she smiled softly.

“I mean, I’d be honored if you’d allow me to join the Third.”
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Diarmaid O'Cahan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:21 am

Shaking his head Zenji smiled into his cup, sipping tea, the horror of what “Bill” could have done to Reika aside, it was an amusing tale. The idea that she just ran into Watari and started a fight was rather amusing. Besides all’s well that ends well since she managed to release her zanpakuto. Perhaps it was an instinctive need to survive against a power like Lord Suzumei that had caused her to do so.

He grinned as she enthusiastically accepted a position within the Third but he had more to discuss before they finalised that, he needed people that he could rely on and he needed his Division to be strong. Because, some day, it would be his and he’d need competent allies beneath him to make it so.

“Well you survived so never mind all that. More than that you discovered a power that will give you even greater skill in battle.” he told her reassuringly.

“Do you mind me asking but is the power a combat focused one?” he asked a thoughtful look on his face, generally Shinigami didn’t discuss such things amongst one another but it was an important question for what he had planned. “Mine isn’t for example.” he told her, give and take and all that. It was true it was for combat but it was hardly an overly offensive power. Rather his own Shikai let him survive drawn out conflicts better as well as giving him some strength to power his continuous spellwork.

Putting the cup of tea aside his expression sombered. “I am going to be straight with you Reika. There’s a lot going on right now and I need comrades I can count on. I also need to build up the Third to make sure it’s ready for what is to come.” he told her seriously. He was taking a leap, quite outside of the cautious Zenji everyone knew, but then he had to keep changing. He had to keep going forward if he was to prepare for the future. It briefly occurred to him that this was somewhat like how Watari acted, albeit more ethically, that was a disturbing thought.

Shaking his head slightly he continued. “I will explain this in due time because I believe, despite your inexperience, you are the sort of person the Gotei needs to survive the future troubles. However before we get there I want to make you an offer, would you like to take on more responsibility than a mere soldier of the Soul Society?” he asked standing up and walking over to his desk.

Picking up a manilla folder he crossed back to the table and placed it in front of her. “Would you be willing to become a Seated Officer of the Third? Having a Shikai gives you the base requirements to take such a position. The information on the vacant roles is within that file”

Giving her time to absorb the information in the folder, and the offer, he sat back down again and calmly resumed drinking his tea. It had taken Zenji over a Century to ascend to the rank of Seated Officer and he was asking Reika to do it on her first day but he had to. The decaying leadership of the Gotei, the latest news of growing Hollow incursions and the newly discovered threat of the Quincy. He needed skilled Shinigami and the Third was desperately lacking in pure fighting skill.

“Most of our positions require mastery of the Demon Arts however there are two which might suit your skills, one of which requires a skilled combatant something the Third tends to lack in comparison to our brothers and sisters in the other Divisions.”

Lowering his tea cup he tilted his head slightly and a faint smile touched his lips. “What do you think?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Nao Aoki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:51 pm

The praise that Zenji - a noble - a seated officer was more than Reika felt she deserved. It was more than enough to cause the color to rise in her cheeks as she soaked it in. Sure, at the academy she received praise for her skill at zanjutsu, receiving one-on-one training to ensure she succeeded, but this was different. This was beyond amazing. It was enough that it felt as if her heart wanted to leap from her chest and explode!

As Zenji asked if her power was combat-related, she could help but think back to the power that surrounded her blade, rending at ‘Bill’s’ flesh, causing him to bleed from the force. Reika gave a slow nod. “Yes. Boreas, my blade, seems to focus on offensive measures. He surrounded my blade with the wind. I remember being shocked as it tore away at, uh, Watari’s arm. I’m not sure what powers he has beyond that just yet.”

It was strange, having a power, yet not truly understanding it. Zenji spoke with confidence like he knew what his weapon was able to do. It caused a twinge of jealousy thinking about it. Someday soon, Reika hoped that she would be able to commune with her Zanpakuto and be able to bring out its full potential. Now wasn’t the time to dwell on such thoughts.

Focus on the now.

Zenji seemed to turn to a darker storyline. A need to build up the Third for what is yet to come - comrades to count on, asking her to become a seated officer. Where was this coming from? She sat there wide-eyed, not knowing how bad things could truly be for the seated officer to be asking an unseated nobody to rise to the occasion, to become a seated officer despite not being seasoned warrior. What did he know that the average shinigami didn’t know? Sure, the Gotei kept its secrets, but this was beyond thought!

When he placed the manila folder on the table, she couldn’t help but pick it up. Curiosity begged her to do so, opening it up with slight glee, a nagging feeling of doubt pulling at the edges. She poured over the documents within, trying to absorb all the information within, yet one position screamed at her. The Fifth Seat, an officer in charge of relief, supporting the poorer districts of the Rukongai. She’d be able to help the very people, the very place she grew up in.

The very ability to help the districts was beyond amazing! She’d be able to pour resources into the districts that helped raise her. To help them be protected from the thugs that threatened her family and friends, to be able to take such a position was a Soul King send. It all seemed like a dream, her body felt like it was floating in the wind. She had to make the choice and it was more than easy.

The redhead sat the manilla folder back down on the table and cleared her throat, trying to hide her more than obvious excitement. This was a privilege, something that she wanted more than life. Reika wanted to make her parents proud and this was more than enough to do so. She’d be able to control patrols in the districts and help educate the young that resided within. To make a brighter future for the innocent then she had.

“If I may, I’d like to take the Fifth Seat of the Third Division. I have many ideas I’d like to implement to protect the people of the districts and all of the Gotei that the prior seat wasn’t able to do. As someone who was born and raised there, I feel that I can offer a greater sense of responsibility for those within and beyond.”

Reika meant it. She had the knowledge of everyday life and the constant fear that happened within the districts. There was a moral right and duty at stake to do better than the prior seated officer. Plus, she’d be able to protect all within the Soul Society. It was a high stakes situation and she had to do better. It’d force her to become better. There was no question at that.

Finally, you're pushing yourself.

And I’ll do so.

Good.

“It’s time that the Third Division outshines the others. I will work hard to ensure that the districts are prepared and that defensives are in place in case of Hollow invasions and whatever else may come. As someone from the districts, I will ensure that the people within are protected and actually feel safe for once. I will make sure those beneath me understand the commands from above!” Reika stood from her seat and bowed to Zenji as her heart thumped loudly in her chest.

This was a great moment. She couldn’t believe that all of this was being handed to her at a mere chance in the weave of fate. The heat seemed to rise in her face as she looked at the ground. “I am but a student in the Gotei, but I swear to you that I will make you proud to call me a member of the Third!” There was so much to be done. So much training to be gone through, but she’d make Zenji, her officer, proud to extend such a boon to her.

Last edited by Reika Suzumei on Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:08 pm

A blade of wind, fascinating, that was certainly an elemental-type for battle so not pure physical not fully kido based. A balanced in between as it were. He hoped he’d get to see it in action one day and its effects, albeit not first hand. Sipping at his tea he let her look over the file to her leisure, this was a big decision for her and she had to make it on her own. He needed people, trustworthy people, who hadn’t been born into the accursed politics of the Seireitei and who hadn’t been corrupted by long service to lacklustre leaders. A fresh, talented, soul straight from the academy was the perfect new officer for the Third. Enthusiasm to drive forward lacklustre performance as well as a fresh set of eyes to pick out problems that even Zenji, for all his best intents, might miss.

He had been expecting her to go for the lower Seats, less responsibility and a way to ease herself into authority. Instead she leapt right to the Fifth Seat which was the highest rank she was eligible for. She was certainly far more ambitious than her naive and nervous deposition would indicate.

“Rukongai Response Commander?” he asked, unable to completely hide his surprise rubbing his chin. “Yes the position has been vacant for too long. My Clan currently runs a small scale relief effort for the far our districts headed up by my cousin Zâbel Miyashita. Perhaps she could give you some advice and my Clan might be able to provide some extra resources.” he suggested. Zenji was born to privilege of course but he’d seen first hand the poverty on the edges of the Rukongai, he’d lent a hand to deal with such issues and he’d personally pulled a lucky few out of those hellholes and into the household of the Hatayama. Sadly he couldn’t adopt everyone. The Rukongai was impossibly vast and the Seireitei’s resources were limited.

Zenji smiled and put his tea cup, now empty, down and over to his table. He sat behind his desk and began scribbling down on a form, glancing up at the girl with a smile. “Do your best and we’ll be fine. The Division needs someone like yourself, not blinded by the mistakes of the past leadership, to point out the flaws.” he said while standing up.

Crossing the room he handed her a document which was the approval document stating that she was now Fifth Seat Reika, Rukongai Response Commander of the Third Division signed and stamped by Zenji’s seal.

And that was it. She was an officer.

“You’ll need to bring that to the First Division to have it filed and put on the system but it’s done. Go straight to Third Seat Aoki’s office and tell her I sent you, she’ll expedite it to make sure nothing get’s slowed down by incompetent clerks.”

Stepping back from the young new officer Zenji smiled and put his hands together. “Now one moment and I’ll bring you up to speed.”

Closing his eyes he raised a single finger in front of his face and pointed upwards. Reiatsu flooded around him softly as he cast his spell. “Silence, black dog of Rondaniini, Listen to your words and slit your own throat! Bakudo #28, Oudanmari.”

A sensation flooded the room, sort of a soft tingling, followed by an unnatural silence. Zenji’s ears rang slightly, the same high pitched sound he heard when it got too quiet. “A simple ward against eavesdroppers.” he explained with a faint smile, he’d grown somewhat cynical lately perhaps even paranoid.

Lifting the teapot Zenji filled his cup and then Reika’s before sitting down. “Do you actually wish to cover this right now? If this is all too overwhelming I can fill you in on those threats I spoke of. We can just discuss basic duties for now if you’d prefer?”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:55 pm

Reika couldn’t help but to fidget in her seat, the excitement within her seemed to be bubbling to the surface as a smile crossed her lips. She found her fingers kneading the pants of her uniform as she watched Zenji put his cup of tea down and grab a form. She couldn’t help but look on in earnest interest as he scribbled away at the document. It seemed as if eternity lingered in the air as she watched on.

Was this really happening? Was Zenji, a new friend it seemed like she had only met the other day actually doing this? Was she going to become a seated member of the Gotei? This was something that all recruits dreamed about. Let alone a position that would allow her to give back to the community that she grew up in.

Her head seemed to spin with all the possibilities of what she could do. Yet she could easily hear her mother and father cheering for her, happy that she had finally made something of herself. To the young woman, she would have proved her worth and hopefully found her place in the Gotei. Finally, something that she could be proud of.

Yet there was this nagging feeling that she hadn’t earned this. This all seemed way too easy for her. It felt as if she had just walked off the street and now someone she had just met was handing her the dream of a lifetime. Why was she doing this to herself?

All of those horrid thoughts were quickly pushed aside as Zenji walked across the room and handed her that simple piece of paper. There in black and white was the approval for her to become the Fifth Seat. ‘Fifth Seat Reika, Rukongai Response Commander of the Third Divison’ stamped with Zenji’s seal of approval.

The young shinigami sat there silently, her mind ablaze with thoughts. She felt so lightheaded at what she was actually witnessing that she felt faint. By all that was holy, it was real. The words that her superior was speaking barely registered with her until she felt the sudden soft tingle draw at her sense. She snapped back to reality, gripping the paper hard in her hands, crinkling the edges as she looked up to Zenji with renewed vigor.

“Uh.” Her voice squeaked for a second as she placed the paper as neatly as she could on her lap. “Please, sir.” Reika tried her best to smooth the paperwork out while focusing on Zenji. “Tell me everything. I’ll try my best…” She found herself looking around for a moment as if looking for something to write on, “You wouldn’t happen to have reports or anything I could have to take with me to make this easier, would you?” A weak chuckle left her as she rubbed the back of her head with her right hand.

If it was going to be a lot, she had to have it written down. In all honesty, she couldn’t imagine the amount of work that would be thrust upon her at a moment's notice. There was nothing more in her heart’s desire though, than to be ready to face the challenges ahead.
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Zenji Hatayama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:44 am

Zenji held the cup of steaming tea in his hand as he smiled faintly at his new officer, the young woman seemed overwhelmed but if he wasn’t off his mark she was genuinely happy and excited at the promotion. It gives him a sense of warmth to see it - this was one of the happier duties he was able to execute in his role as the Third Seat.

‘Not like anyone else is going to do it.’ he thought to himself, he was basically running the Division these days. His two superiors certainly didn’t help.

“Fear not.” he said softly “You’ll find a number of the Squad Leaders under your command have good heads on their soldiers. I plan to promote another too. Your response force will consist of a mix of combat squads and relief squads - medics and such. Since our division is less invested in Living World patrols we dedicate more of our martial might to defending the Rukongai and so we lend a large part to the stability, and safety, of the Soul Society itself.” he paused to sip at his tea before adding. “Mind you - as a powerful and talented individual you will likely still be called on for assignments in the World of the Living. The Gotei is… short on Shinigami with your level of potential.”

Putting his tea aside he picked up a few folders and handed them over to the woman. “These are a list of the responsibilities of your role, details of your subordinates and my assistant also included a number of reports from the former Fifth Seat, Soul King bless his soul, who left rather detailed reports on his own evaluation of the needs and requirements of his station.”

“Now we are the Kido Corp so that does mean I do expect you to improve your skill in the Demon Arts. Specifically in Hado and Bakudo as they’ll be the most useful to you although I encourage you to try your hand at Kaido too if it interests you.”

Leaning over he grabbed another document, this one an older style scroll, and offered it to Reika too. It was a schedule built around her own duties as Fifth Seat and Zenji’s as Third Seat - it had taken quite a bit of planning on his part to find free time-slots that lined up.

He would wait for her to open it before continuing. “These are times when we will both be free. I will offer my services as a tutor in the demon arts. I will teach you at my estate and once we move onto advanced topics I will grant you access to my Clan’s library which has certain texts even our Division does not.” he said with a kind smile. “You do not have to avail yourself of all these times of course. You require personal time and time to relax. I will neither enforce a maximum or minimum number. You simply pick times that suit each week and we’ll make arrangements.”

His smile widened slightly. “I did promise to help you with your Kido after all. We are not in a much more convenient place to fulfil that request.”
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Reika Suzumei likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Reika Suzumei Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:26 pm

Reika tried to hide her doubts by drinking more tea, setting the paperwork Zenji handed her by her side. It felt as if she could hide behind the brim of the cup as she sipped on the warm drink, trying to wash away the fears that seemed to make her heart flutter with each beat. It was all that she could do to prevent her hands from shaking as she tried to quiet her rushing mind. What would it take to be the Fifth Seat of the Third Divison?

‘Calm down, Reika.' She thought to herself as a heavy breath escaped her nostrils, following into the hot tea as the warm air slowly flowed across her face. It was a dizzying moment.

Yet as her nerves became calm, Zenji spoke about having a number of squad leaders under her. She nearly choked on her tea - causing her to sputter for a moment, and quickly set the nearly empty tea cup on the table. “W-wow.” She managed to croak as she cleared her throat, pounding a gentle right fist against her chest. “I knew it was a leadership position, but I didn’t imagine how many folks would be under my command."

She cracked an awkward smile as her right hand went behind her head, gently rubbing the back of her head before falling to her side. “I’d be lying to say that I was ready for this - that it’s not scary. But I’ll do my best!” She added cheerfully.

Yet as Reika tried to relax… more and more folders and scrolls seemed to come to her. Sheesh, this was becoming a lot more daunting than she thought. Tons of subordinates that’ll listen to her every word, a mountain of paperwork and files to go with it. Just yesterday she was trying to figure out where she belongs in the Gotei and what division best suited her. Now she’s here with the Third of the Third. What a whirlwind of events that had been cast together.

Then came the gut punch. Reika visibly winced when Zenji said she had to improve her kido. ‘Damn it.’ It was all she could do to prevent herself from crawling into a ball. Her improving her kido was worse than having to stand before all her new subordinates. It was a lackluster skill that could easily blow up in her own face. Already she could hear her academy instructor screaming into her ear after she nearly took his head off. The young shinigami look pale and downtrodden. “O-okay.” She muttered as she gathered the files together in a neat stack before her. “I’ll try to. But I’m going to need an instructor or some kind of partner.”

It was like the man had read her mind even before she had finished. Another piece of paper, a scroll as it was. Tentatively she unfurled it, seeing a schedule for both her and Zenji. Sheesh, this man had thought of everything. It was no wonder why he got to where he had in life. He was dedicated and hardworking. Truly an amazing person. She couldn’t help but smile up at him, fighting away tears of joy.

She ran her index finger under her eye, wiping away a small tear that escaped. “Thank you. I really mean it.” With all her files gathered neatly before her, she scooped them up, tucked them neatly under her arm, and stood up. “Look. I know I’m new to the Gotei. I know I haven’t done much to prove my worth around here and show what I’m capable of. But I want to tell you what you’ve done - “ The young woman paused for a moment, trying to find the right words to say. It was a tentative moment, to say the least.

“All that you’ve done for me and how you’ve treated me. You - You’re the nicest person I’ve ever met.” Reika didn’t even pause. She moved to the man’s side and placed a soft, quick kiss on his cheek. Rank or file be damn, she had to do it. But it didn’t stop her cheeks from feeling like they were on fire. “Thank you.” Her words came as a whisper before she darted out of the office, a new giddiness filling her heart.

[thread exit]
Reika Suzumei
Reika Suzumei

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenji Hatayama Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:00 pm

Zenji smiled brightly at the newly appointed officer as spoke, sounding worried and afraid. “Fear not - I wouldn’t be putting you into a position I didn’t think you were capable of. The squads largely are able to run themselves day-to-day so at the start you can just focus on familiarising yourself.”

He sipped at his tea while thinking to himself before adding.  “And if there’s a combat emergency important enough that requires the squads to be deployed - I will be present anyway.” he chuckled softly. “And frankly our Captain and Lieutenant can’t be relied on. If you need me for anything just let me know, it’s my job to help.”

Putting aside his empty tea cup the man crossed his arms and kept his eyes on Reika, it was obvious that she was feeling unsure and uncomfortable. Zenji wasn’t worried though. He knew she had the potential to surpass even such a high seated position within the Gotei. Besides, he would do everything in his power to help her.

Better than letting another Shinigami waste away. Zenji had done so for over a Century and who knew how many more like him. It was down to the leadership of their Divisions, they didn’t care and didn’t try. He also suspected that those who showed too much ambition or talent would simply vanish. That would change soon too.

Turning back to the present, Zenji smiled with warmth at his new officer. “Don’t worry I’ll be trying to bring up the standard of the entire Division - you’re far from alone with wanting to improve your skills with Demon Arts.”

Pleased with her enthusiasm the man nodded. “Don’t worry I’ve also made arrangements with some of the seniors of my Clan - former Shinigami themselves and Kido Experts. Then there’s practically an army of Shrine Priests and Maidens who are capable with a wide range of spells, mostly Bakudo and Kaido. If I’m unexpectedly hard to get a hold of then one of them will make themselves available.” he assured her he didn’t want the girl feeling worried about chasing her superior if he appeared to be busy.

“Don’t worry I’ll be trying to bring up the standard of the entire Division - you’re far from alone with wanting to improve your skills with Demon Arts.”

Tidying up the folders arrayed across the tabletop the Nobleman chuckled. “Don’t worry - I know you’re capable and, most importantly, you’re driven. You’ll do well in the Third Reika. I’m more than happy to have you with us.”

At the compliments Zenji shifted uncomfortably, he’d never been good with any sort of praise. Especially when he felt he wasn’t doing anything particularly special.

As she moved Zenji half-rose expecting a bow when the kiss landed on his cheek. The man sunk silently back into his seat and wordlessly just watched her leave as his cheeks slowly started to redden as the realisation of what had just happened hit him.

Clearing his throat he glanced around the empty room realising the Fifth Seat had already left.

Ignoring the laughter of his mocking Zanpakuto he grabbed the staff leaning against the wall and strode out of the office, a gesture at the door, causing a powerful Kido seal to activate. Striding towards the Library he decided a bit of forbidden Demon Arts texts would help clear his mind from… the… from the busy day.

//Thread End
Zenji Hatayama
Zenji Hatayama

Reika Suzumei likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum